Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60175 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

litesong

Everett, WA

#47876 Jun 15, 2014
mudbuilder wrote:
How is it you grovel.....
"mudbuilder" has the mud to grovel.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#47877 Jun 15, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"mudbuilder" has the mud to grovel.
Go wax yourself, ya wimpy little person.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#47878 Jun 15, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
All we can control is American forests. We have more trees now than when the Pilgrims landed.
That last is laughable. Profoundly insipid. You simplistic earthers won't be happy til we live in caves and eat weeds and insects - once you eliminate the non-believers.
Not true.

It was forestland from shore to shore in all directions. You don't even know simple colonial history.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#47879 Jun 15, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this is a novel response... the global warming hypocrite admits he's a global warming hypocrite, and attempts to parlay his hypocrisy into a 'save all mankind' argument.
Not the 'big' a hypocrite, but one just the same?
LOL
Deniers always remind me of the Black Knight in the Holy Grail movie.
"it's just a flesh wound" Fact is ringers didn't have any problems during the cold war believing the commie's were coming. So one of the big selling items during that time was household bomb shelters.
Now it's a different story, instead of bomb shelters you can put up something useful like solar panels or make your home more energy efficient. But this time its all a croc according to your well informed group, none of this climate warming is happening its just a bunch of scientists chasing funding. If you only knew how stupid you sound.

Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#47880 Jun 15, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text> If you only knew how stupid you sound.
That would be you dipwad. You're the one preaching end of the world disaster, but still keep posting your screeds which puffs out more CO2 every time.

Tipping point? Crisis?

Not by your standards.

Hypocrite.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#47881 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Not true.
It was forestland from shore to shore in all directions. You don't even know simple colonial history.
Yawn, welllllllllllllllll except for the vast grasslands known as the Midwest.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#47882 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
30 Indicators Confirm: Climate Change is Here & Now
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
Al Gore called..........he's going back to Global Cooling.
SpaceBlues

United States

#47883 Jun 15, 2014
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Yawn, welllllllllllllllll except for the vast grasslands known as the Midwest.
hahaha start with this

http://vault.sierraclub.org/sierra/200211/old...

and educate yourself beyond the Hollywood films.

Still sleeping?

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#47884 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Not true.
Lol! Wrong again Spacecase. Ever hear of the Great Plains, Great Basin, Mojave Desert?

"Colonial history"? Where the colonists aware of how much timber covered America?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#47885 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Do you know the percentage of people who work at night in USA? Work does not sleep in USA!
Right, good point. I'll try again:

The effects of man made global warming are seen most strongly at night in the dark and at the poles where nobody lives.

Thanks, good suggestion.

SpaceBlues wrote:
You speculate without basis. Spring flowers? WOW! More allergies, haven't you heard?
Not speculation, Spring flowers and other ecosystem productivity, from your citation:
SpaceBlues wrote:
Nonsense. You would not comprehend this:

Terrestrial carbon cycle affected by non-uniform climate warming Feedbacks between the terrestrial carbon cycle and climate change could affect many ecosystem functions and services, such as food production, carbon sequestration and climate regulation.... For example, spring warming has largely stimulated ecosystem productivity at latitudes between 30° and 90° N, but suppressed productivity in other regions. Contrasting impacts of day- and night-time warming on plant carbon gain and loss are apparent in many regions. We argue that ascertaining the effects of non-uniform climate warming on terrestrial ecosystems is a key challenge in carbon cycle research.
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v7/n3/full...
I happen to live between 30° and 90° N so for me, global warming is like winning the lottery.

What's not to love about global warming?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#47886 Jun 15, 2014
Global warming is like winning the lottery when you don't even have to buy the lottery ticket, all you have to do is live and enjoy life now. Do what makes you happy, drive a fast boat, skydive, burn oil, coal and natural gas to make your life better. Cool yourself in summer to avoid stress and stay warm in winter thanks to fossil fuel. From farms to market to table, fossil fuel helps produce, store and transport food but are you thankful? Are you grateful for the blessings of man made CO2?

I love CO2 because I love life. I can't help myself, as if I've evolved to emit greenhouse gasses even if I wanted to stop, I couldn't survive the catastrophic metabolic disruption. When I'm dead, I promise to decay and stop emitting greenhouse gases forever, same way I had zero emissions before I was born. Part of life is emitting greenhouse gases, learn to accept and embrace carbon emissions and you'll be a happier person.
SpaceBlues

Dallas, TX

#47887 Jun 15, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Deniers always remind me of the Black Knight in the Holy Grail movie.
"it's just a flesh wound" Fact is ringers didn't have any problems during the cold war believing the commie's were coming. So one of the big selling items during that time was household bomb shelters.
Now it's a different story, instead of bomb shelters you can put up something useful like solar panels or make your home more energy efficient. But this time its all a croc according to your well informed group, none of this climate warming is happening its just a bunch of scientists chasing funding. If you only knew how stupid you sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zKhEw7nD9C4XX
Wonderful app.

Gaudy and all.
Except

Largo, FL

#47888 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>hahaha start with this
http://vault.sierraclub.org/sierra/200211/old...
and educate yourself beyond the Hollywood films.
Still sleeping?
The U.S. Forests lands have been harvested and re planted for over 200 year's. The not job environmentalist have shut down responsible logging in the U.S. And shifted it too countries that have no reforests programs or laws. Plastic bags all over again.
DOD

Stroud, OK

#47889 Jun 15, 2014
Except wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. Forests lands have been harvested and re planted for over 200 year's. The not job environmentalist have shut down responsible logging in the U.S. And shifted it too countries that have no reforests programs or laws. Plastic bags all over again.
Exactly but US environmental policy restrictions caused the US to purchase lumber from countries with higher cost per linear foot. Canada has reaped the rewards of US policy.

Meanwhile family owned and small lumber companies in Washington, Oregon, Northern California all went out of business.

It's the American Liberal Way.
litesong

Everett, WA

#47890 Jun 15, 2014
Except wrote:
The not(sic) job environmentalist have shut down responsible logging in the U.S.
Business & re-pubic-lick-un anti-environmentalists don't need to worry. Loggers are still clear-cutting on too large forest tracks, & forest tracks that are too steep & on too rocky of terrain that is NOT amiable to re-foresting within 100 years. Often, loggers(with the blessings of gov't) close off areas to the public, so the public has a hard time seeing what loggers are doing. I suspect your definition of "responsible logging" is to re-plant..... maybe.
Zane

United States

#47891 Jun 15, 2014
DOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly but US environmental policy restrictions caused the US to purchase lumber from countries with higher cost per linear foot. Canada has reaped the rewards of US policy.
Meanwhile family owned and small lumber companies in Washington, Oregon, Northern California all went out of business.
It's the American Liberal Way.
I used to live in Western Oregon and logging has been all but stopped compared to what it was before. Canadian trucks come over the border loaded with lumber products and your right the cost of linear foot is higher.
Zane

United States

#47892 Jun 15, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Business & re-pubic-lick-un anti-environmentalists don't need to worry. Loggers are still clear-cutting on too large forest tracks, & forest tracks that are too steep & on too rocky of terrain that is NOT amiable to re-foresting within 100 years. Often, loggers(with the blessings of gov't) close off areas to the public, so the public has a hard time seeing what loggers are doing. I suspect your definition of "responsible logging" is to re-plant..... maybe.
In Oregon they harvest then replant within a certain time frame. Lumber is a renewable resource.
Sven

Finland

#47893 Jun 16, 2014
I've also lived in Oregon and in the Mojave Desert too,
also few more places if I may add,
Oregon's a great state and so is Nevada for winters!
Yo! I like that Ax Men tv series partly from OR!
My favorite though gotta be Shelby Stanga the Swamp Man!
He searches for expensive sunken logs in the Louisiana Bayou!
Good job Shelby and becareful with your big revolver!

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#47894 Jun 16, 2014
Sven wrote:
I've also lived in Oregon and in the Mojave Desert too,
also few more places if I may add,
Oregon's a great state and so is Nevada for winters!
Yo! I like that Ax Men tv series partly from OR!
My favorite though gotta be Shelby Stanga the Swamp Man!
He searches for expensive sunken logs in the Louisiana Bayou!
Good job Shelby and becareful with your big revolver!
Virtually every state has reforestation requirements associated with the logging permit. In Oregon, one has to maintain 200 trees per acre. After logging the merchantable timber, the ground has to be replanted to that 200 tree density.

Those Oregon "logging shows" are definitely entertaining, but they're as far from real logging as one can get. All the arguments, fights, breakdowns and general chaos isn't tolerated on logging operations. These shows are a backhanded attempt to belittle logging companies and demean the people who log for a living.

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#47895 Jun 16, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You're singing out your ass again. Logging is tightly regulated from top to bottom. I cut timber for a living in the 80's and 90's. My wife ran the reforestation department in one of the Ranger Districts on the Fremont National Forest until she retired in 2010.

As I said before: There's more trees in America now, than when the Pilgrims landed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Dr Guru 217,063
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Gunner 1,396,356
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr GEORGIA 8,927
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr fair assessment 102,560
last post wins! (Dec '10) 8 hr Retired SOF 2,157
last post wins! (Apr '13) 8 hr Retired SOF 1,126
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 10 hr Ize Fund 70,734

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages