Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 54356 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Rebecca

Chatsworth, CA

#47829 Jun 14, 2014
Sorry I'm late. Is this the forum where the same 14 people (not even 1 for every 2 states) post over and over thinking they are somehow making a difference?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#47830 Jun 14, 2014
Rebecca wrote:
Sorry I'm late. Is this the forum where the same 14 people (not even 1 for every 2 states) post over and over thinking they are somehow making a difference?
Yes that be the one, and you will be one of the 14 using a different alias to try and appear objective.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#47831 Jun 14, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Still on with this hypocrite crap,.
Crap?

Warmists who preach the global warming mantra, but don't act like it's the "crisis" as they say is the definition of hypocrite.

You think you're not?

Prove it... shut up -- that way you won't be adding more of the evil CO2 into the atmosphere.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#47832 Jun 14, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Grow a spine and live up to the doom and gloom 'science' you keep preaching.

Shut up.

Hypocrite.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#47833 Jun 14, 2014
Rebecca wrote:
Yep... this be the one. This thread is chock full of phony hypocrites who talk big but keep adding more CO2 into the atmosphere with each post.

And then bytch about CO2 level 'tipping points'.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#47834 Jun 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Crap?
Warmists who preach the global warming mantra, but don't act like it's the "crisis" as they say is the definition of hypocrite.
You think you're not?
Prove it... shut up -- that way you won't be adding more of the evil CO2 into the atmosphere.
I'm sorry none of us are retreating to a cave just yet, especially while you deniers run around polluting the planet even more. So if we do have to go to a solar powered cave we will make sure you deniers are dragged in there kicking & screaming as well.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#47835 Jun 14, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Seek medical help.
He probably cannot afford to since obamacare was passed. Too bad he ain't rich like me. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Location hidden

#47836 Jun 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Grow a spine and live up to the doom and gloom 'science' you keep preaching.
Shut up.
Hypocrite.
HAHAHAHAHA, they are like me, preach one thing and do another. Of course these minions here are just sheeple. THey are stupid and gobble up the crap people like me feed them on globul warming and I get rich. By the way, I have had a mansion by the sea for decades, and guess what, the ocean level has not risen one inch. SUCKERS!

Location hidden

#47837 Jun 14, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
, especially while you deniers run around polluting the planet even more.
I take issue with that, my private jets and Limos do a lot of pulluting, but, but, but its for a good cause..........BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#47839 Jun 15, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>This is true of holocaust deniers but they are being rescued by OzRitz and the warmists who misuse the word to obfuscate the genocide of six million Jews.
Warmists are the same people who deny Israel the right to exist as a Jewish state; antisemitism has many faces. Warmists aren't as bad, disguising history by conflating deniers with people skeptical of climate change mitigation schemes, as those who advocate violence against Jews, but they are on the same track.
You can't determine man made catastrophic climate disruption is pseudoscience and climate change mitigation is a hoax based on the warmists' own words but you should take note.
"Obama says climate change deniers ignoring science"

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#47840 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Nonsense. You would not comprehend this:
Terrestrial carbon cycle affected by non-uniform climate warming

Feedbacks between the terrestrial carbon cycle and climate change could affect many ecosystem functions and services, such as food production, carbon sequestration and climate regulation. The rate of climate warming varies on diurnal and seasonal timescales.
If anything is less tested than the effect of man made greenhouse gases on climate, feedbacks takes the award. Climate always changes.

SpaceBlues wrote:
A synthesis of global air temperature data reveals a greater rate of warming in winter than in summer in northern mid and high latitudes, and the inverse pattern in some tropical regions. The data also reveal a decline in the diurnal temperature range over 51% of the global land area and an increase over only 13%, because night-time temperatures in most locations have risen faster than daytime temperatures.
The effect of man made greenhouse gasses on the climate is most apparent at night, when people sleep, or at the poles, where nobody lives.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Analyses of satellite data, model simulations and in situ observations suggest that the impact of seasonal warming varies between regions. For example, spring warming has largely stimulated ecosystem productivity at latitudes between 30 and 90 N, but suppressed productivity in other regions.
^^^Two thirds of the Northern Hemisphere will experience large stimulation in ecosystem productivity thanks to our carbon emissions. More spring flowers and better crop production over most of our Hemisphere; what's not to love about global warming?

SpaceBlues wrote:
Contrasting impacts of day- and night-time warming on plant carbon gain and loss are apparent in many regions. We argue that ascertaining the effects of non-uniform climate warming on terrestrial ecosystems is a key challenge in carbon cycle research.
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v7/n3/full...
The study is a review of past climate, not an experiment showing the effects of a controlled and known greenhouse gas emission or sequestration on climate. We'll never solve that key problem in carbon cycle research unless we use the scientific method.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#47841 Jun 15, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
^^^Two thirds of the Northern Hemisphere will experience large stimulation in ecosystem productivity thanks to our carbon emissions. More spring flowers and better crop production over most of our Hemisphere; what's not to love about global warming?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

Ask the southern USA.

(Not to mention South America, Africa, Asia and Australia.)
River Tam

France

#47842 Jun 15, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>If anything is less tested than the effect of man made greenhouse gases on climate, feedbacks takes the award. Climate always changes.
<quoted text>The effect of man made greenhouse gasses on the climate is most apparent at night, when people sleep, or at the poles, where nobody lives.
<quoted text>^^^Two thirds of the Northern Hemisphere will experience large stimulation in ecosystem productivity thanks to our carbon emissions. More spring flowers and better crop production over most of our Hemisphere; what's not to love about global warming?
<quoted text>The study is a review of past climate, not an experiment showing the effects of a controlled and known greenhouse gas emission or sequestration on climate. We'll never solve that key problem in carbon cycle research unless we use the scientific method.
So you deny Same Sex marriage and Climate Change?

How you doing on evolution, Brian?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#47843 Jun 15, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
"Obama says climate change deniers ignoring science"
The left misuses the word denier because they want to obscure the history of genocide and excuse the murder of six million Jews.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#47844 Jun 15, 2014
A creationist wrote:
The study is a review of past climate, not an experiment showing the effects of a controlled and known greenhouse gas emission or sequestration on climate. We'll never solve that key problem in carbon cycle research unless we use the scientific method.
Brian_G wrote:
The Process Of The Scientific Method. The basis of the scientific method is asking questions and then trying to come up with the answers, based on logic.

Hypothesis. Make a good guess based on a few observations
The Whole Earth Laboratory
It is difficult to design and conduct experiments which prove evolution. We do not know how to introduce the effects of time. We can only guess at the environmental conditions.
It is impossible to make the earth and the cosmos into one gigantic laboratory where we can change the variables. And a small model may not be adequate.
Theory. Do experiments based on your guess and find other patterns.
State the question. How did the universe originate and how did life begin?
Form a hypothesis based on observations.
Do experiments. Gather evidence in the form of measurable data.
Science This step produces the impartial data that will guide personal opinion or interpretation.
Interpret data and draw conclusions from the values and figures your experiments generated
Revise theory (go back to step 2).
Principle Or Law. If the theory stands the test of time and is proven over and over, and can create true predictions for different situations, has uniformity and is universal it becomes a law.
This is my first problem with the proponents of evolution. They claim that it is no longer a theory but I do not know of any laboratory experiments that have proven it or any reproducible experiments that demonstrate it.
http://www.teachinghearts.org/dre09creationno...
River Tam

Santa Rosa, CA

#47845 Jun 15, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The left misuses the word denier because they want to obscure the history of genocide and excuse the murder of six million Jews.
You know Hitler was a Christian, right Brian?

Gott mit uns.

He didn't like homosexuals either because Jesus was homosexual. Hitler had a hard time with that.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#47846 Jun 15, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
http://www.teachinghearts.org/ dre09creationnotes.html
^^^More creationist spam from the green troll. From his cite: "Alien Colonization. Life began by a race of intelligent, superior beings who either colonized the earth or started the process. Ultimately, the same problem exists - Where did those beings come from. This may sound laughable now, but I believe that in their desperation not to believe in God, this is the theory to which people will turn. It is as easily viable as creationism. Only it does not come with those pesky moral rules that Christianity seems to be saddled with. God himself says, that because people refuse to believe, he will send (allow to be sent) a "strong delusion" so that they will believe a lie."

Why don't you forget that pseudoscience nonsense and discuss climate change mitigation? Advocating politicians save us from climate catastrophe is foolish as long as we have no experimental data to show if it would do more good than harm or cost less than the problems you want to solve.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#47847 Jun 15, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Ask the southern USA.(Not to mention South America, Africa, Asia and Australia.)
This contradicts S.B.'s citation that claims 2/3 of the Northern Hemisphere will see increased ecosystem productivity.

Emitting carbon dioxide is fun and profitable; what's not to love about global warming? Let's get rid of conservationism and renewable energy for the sake of economic growth and prosperity.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#47848 Jun 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
So you deny Same Sex marriage and Climate Change?
I've never denied climate change; climate always changes. As for same sex marriage, no state bans religious same sex wedding ceremonies, travel to and from jurisdictions that license same sex marriage or asking your business and social milieu to treat you and your partner as if married. I have no problem with same sex couples, there's nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality.

River Tam wrote:
How you doing on evolution, Brian?
I'm fine with evolution, it's the green troll who keeps posting Creationist material and references. How are you doing with evolution? Do you have any plans to mitigate evolution with eugenics like they tried in the early 20th Century?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#47849 Jun 15, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You know Hitler was a Christian, right Brian? Gott mit uns.
And that's relevant, why?

River Tam wrote:
He didn't like homosexuals either because Jesus was homosexual. Hitler had a hard time with that.
^^^The left doesn't like Christianity so they slander their Prophet. I'd like to see them try that with Islam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,263,800
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 38 min Dr Guru 194,523
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 41 min Mister Tonka 100,298
Ask Amy July 31 53 min Julie 6
abby7-31-15 3 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr Mark 52,069
Amy 7-30-15 7 hr Mister Tonka 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages