Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63930 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#47365 Jun 1, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's brand new!
Those questions will have to be answered. I would expect a few miles of test surface to begin with. I wondered about traction.
Power? Can you get too much? The old houses I used to rent had a single light bulb in the ceiling and MAYBE 2 receptacles in each room. What more did they need other than a lamp and the radio. Then the future came along.
http://jalopnik.com/why-the-so lar-roadway-is-a-terrible-idea -1582519375

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#47366 Jun 1, 2014
SpaceBlues

United States

#47367 Jun 1, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
More great grammar. It's obvious that you're no genius either.
I did not mean except but I told the poster to accept on purpose.

"More great grammar?" Explain.
SpaceBlues

United States

#47368 Jun 1, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
is best if you try it yourself, LOL.
litesong

Everett, WA

#47369 Jun 1, 2014
ratdownthemiddledownwronggully wrote:
http://jalopnik.com/why-the-so lar-roadway-is-a-terrible-idea -1582519375
Agree!
SpaceBlues

United States

#47370 Jun 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree!
It is inevitable that even bread can be improved.
Bloody Bill Anderson

Cadiz, KY

#47371 Jun 1, 2014
An interesting idea: Use a chemical reaction to convert electricity generated by wind and solar into hydrogen gas. Then store the hydrogen gas in the gas pipeline distribution system. Then, at night and when the wind is not blowing, burn the hydrogen gas (which is pollution free) in gas turbine generators to make electricity.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/12/10/...
litesong

Everett, WA

#47372 Jun 1, 2014
mudbuilder wrote:
Climate change, dickwad, is pretty fcking far from "man caused" global warming.
re-pubic-lick-un advisor, Frank Luntz, told candidates to use the term, "climate change" to make them more electable....... didn't work.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#47373 Jun 1, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text> is best if you try it yourself, LOL.
my driveway is too long. you first.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#47374 Jun 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree!
wow! that's a first...
litesong

Everett, WA

#47375 Jun 1, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
It is inevitable that even bread can be improved.
https://www.google.com/search...

Don't want my bread or my delicate electronics made on millions of miles of road, then expect them to survive weather, heavy vehicles & hard life conditions. Even hard asphalt & concrete don't survive such conditions.
litesong

Everett, WA

#47376 Jun 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
Agree!
//////////
"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" gushed:
wow! that's a first...
//////////
litesong wrote:
Of course not. We also agree that ethanol mandates are bad, & 100%(ethanol-free) gasoline is best in gasoline engines.
truth-facts

Lewis Center, OH

#47377 Jun 1, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it matter, its a simple idea that is way too clever. If every household just did their driveways in them imagine the impact of that. For the guy who makes the modules, well that's a startup has the potential to be bigger than facebook probably even apple.
Yh and if every household would stop using electricity and every household would just ride bikes and if every household would just,I don't know .... STOP BREATHING or I know what if for starters all the hypocrites would stop jet setting around in their you know ,those big things that fly across the sky polluting the atmosphere would just stop that nonsense. Well that might be a great start.
Until then I'm getting on my boat and going fishing.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#47378 Jun 1, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor does Mother Earth. This plant has been warming a cooling for billions of years. It's not going to stop now, just because the Democratic Party says so.
Ya know, volcanoes have spewed more crap into the atmosphere than man could ever dream of. You ought to form a campaign to ban eruptions.
You need to get up to date with your pronouncements. The principle gasses that volcanoes emit are CO2 and SO2. No matter what Limbaugh said, burning fossil fuels produce about 100 times as much CO2 in a year as volcanoes do in an average year! But volcanoes spew about 1/10 as much SO2.

No one disputes that the planet has historically cooled and warmed in the past. Exactly how does that prove that man is not altering it today? If you can show us exactly how natural effects are causing the warming today, then perhaps your argument has some merit. What you say is that burning fossil fuels is having little or no effect on the warming today because the planet has cooled and warmed in the past. There are reasons that the planet warmed and cooled historically. Many things entered into the picture. Catastrophic events such as super volcanoes, meteor strikes, changes in the orbital mechanics, large changes in the organisms such as the advent of chloroplasts that allowed the utilization of CO2 and the fixing of O2. Again I ask, exactly what natural force is driving the warming today? If you cannot answer that question then you are simply a denier.

Location hidden

#47379 Jun 1, 2014
http://www.edf.org/sites/default/files/conten...
Over the next decade, two landmark policy drivers—California’s AB 32 Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) and cap-and-trade regulation (C&T) LCFS and C&T regulations will result in cumulative benefits from avoided health, energy insecurity, and climate change costs of $10.4 billion by 2020 and $23.1 billion by 2025.

The transportation sector is the largest source of pollution in California, contributing close to 70% of smog-forming gases and 40% of the state’s climate change pollution every year.

Combined benefits of LCFS and C&T fuel regulations
Modeling conducted for this report shows that without the LCFS and C&T, the California trans-portation system is expected to result in cumulative societal economic impacts of $274 billion by 2020 and $387 billion by 2025.

This may not be market driven but it is obvious that it needs to be considered.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#47380 Jun 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
re-pubic-lick-un advisor, Frank Luntz, told candidates to use the term, "climate change" to make them more electable....... didn't work.
Frank who? I don't care if they're the second coming of Christ. If any politician preaches that man can manipulate nature, he's DOA - politically speaking.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#47381 Jun 1, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter what Limbaugh said, burning fossil fuels produce about 100 times as much CO2 in a year as volcanoes do in an average year! But volcanoes spew about 1/10 as much SO2.
Yet volcanoes have been spewing these noxious gases into that atmosphere for billions of years with no ill effects. Hmmmm.

You losers are the ones making these wild globull warming assertions. You've got the burden of proof to produce evidence that it's happening. You can't, so you lose.

Location hidden

#47382 Jun 1, 2014
Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet volcanoes have been spewing these noxious gases into that atmosphere for billions of years with no ill effects. Hmmmm.
You losers are the ones making these wild globull warming assertions. You've got the burden of proof to produce evidence that it's happening. You can't, so you lose.
Quit dodging the question. You have pretty well proven that you are nothing more than a denier without anything to support your blatherings. The Earth is warming. CO2 is a GHG. Burning fossil fuels increases the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. What don't you understand?

Unfortunately, the RW fanatics have demonized science because it treads on the toes of their agenda. When man adds 100 times as much CO2 to the atmosphere in a year than all the volcanoes in the world, it is bound to have an effect. Or don't you believe the science that has determined that CO2 is a GHG.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#47383 Jun 1, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank who? I don't care if they're the second coming of Christ. If any politician preaches that man can manipulate nature, he's DOA - politically speaking.
Man has been manipulating nature for 1000's of years, all those rain forests gone missing = that's man, all the animal species becoming extinct= that's man, all those dams built changing the course of rivers = that's man, all that wilderness turned into agriculture land = that's man, all those cities & urban sprawl over half the planet.= that's man and finally the Carbon footprint it takes to make all of the above which actually changes climate well that's man too!

http://persquaremile.com/2012/08/08/if-the-wo...

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#47384 Jun 1, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Quit dodging the question. You have pretty well proven that you are nothing more than a denier without anything to support your blatherings. The Earth is warming. CO2 is a GHG. Burning fossil fuels increases the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. What don't you understand?
Unfortunately, the RW fanatics have demonized science because it treads on the toes of their agenda. When man adds 100 times as much CO2 to the atmosphere in a year than all the volcanoes in the world, it is bound to have an effect. Or don't you believe the science that has determined that CO2 is a GHG.
Uh-oh, I just ripped a fart. Now, do we blame that on me for contributing to globull warming or the bar that served me the PBR draft that induced it? Hmmmm.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Sad State Of Affairs 1,563,324
Maxwell street ghosts 39 min LATEX Art 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 242,219
Bill and Hillary 2 hr Trump Eats Babies 12
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 4 hr Art Mandalay 63
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 11,008
Chicago has the Worst Women (Jun '16) 7 hr Indict Hillary NOW 132

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages