Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63543 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#47145 May 23, 2014
Hollywood Hypocrisy on Global Warming

Harrison Ford and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who both starred in James Cameron’s alarmist documentary Years of Living Dangerously, showed up in Cannes to promote their new film Expendables 3 in two tanks. Yes, gas-guzzling, planet-killing, Soviet-era tanks (well, armored personnel carriers of some sort):

>> The Croisette is not the easiest street to negotiate during the Cannes film festival. The traffic crawls crossly between the long strip of grand hotels and the prom with beach beyond. Officials cordon off stretches for long periods, tourists hub around hotel doors in the hope of seeing a star, irate journalists and film-makers jostle and shove. Scooters, motorbikes, pedalos and segways add to the melee. Protesters, musicians, mime artists and a small motorised train don’t help.

So it was a measure of the affection that The Expendables cast are held in that when they rode slowly down the Croisette on two massive Soviet-era tanks, completely clogging the thoroughfare, festival-goers simply cheered them on and took out their smartphones to take a photo.

The stunt contributed to the estimated $2m bill for this weekend’s promotional push, and formed the filling in a day which began with a promo of clips from the movie, and concluded with a star-studded press conference at the Carlton hotel.

http://www.nationalreview.com/planet-gore/378...

Goodness! We're gonna need a warehouse for the Hypocrisy Penalty Box!
truth-facts

Chillicothe, OH

#47146 May 23, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually caveman may live in a Red state but I would not hold that against him. His posts make sense and are logical unlike your own. Tea party posts in here trying to declare all followers of demo politics dumb was a total falsehood & facts indicate the opposite. The stats graph clearly illustrates that.
Is that right? I have yet to meet an honest libtard.Your heros use data and graphs that can be manipulated. It fits their agenda,same with this jerkwad;
Financial Times Outlines Problems with Piketty's Inequality Data
by John Sexton 23 May 2014, 11:55 AM PDT 420post a comment Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" has been widely praised by the left for its conclusion that capitalism is driving wealth inequality to levels not seen in over 100 years.
Financial Times did some checking on the underlying data which French economist Thomas Piketty used to under-gird his bestselling book. What FT found was a series of errors and unexplained data selections which, taken together, seem to undercut Piketty's main thesis.

FT has a story posted about the issue here but this video clip actually does a better job explaining some of the details:

The left cannot be honest about anything. If you don't get your way you harrass and bullie people to fit your agendas. If that doesn't work,you try to ruin people's careers.
S. Alinsky tactics.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#47147 May 23, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
And why was the storm surge so high? Sea level rise of course played a part.
what percentage of sea level rise contributed to the 13 foot storm surge during an unusual high tide?

i'll let you do the math! maybe then you'll realize how stupid your claim is.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#47148 May 23, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually caveman may live in a Red state but I would not hold that against him. His posts make sense and are logical unlike your own. Tea party posts in here trying to declare all followers of demo politics dumb was a total falsehood & facts indicate the opposite. The stats graph clearly illustrates that.
basically you're saying that you agree with people who agree with your stupidity.....even if you made the claim that his state was the lowest on the list. yeah, we get your hypocrisy loud and clear....while reading your idiotic posts in black and white.

you're a lying moron, son. plain and simple.
truth-facts

Chillicothe, OH

#47149 May 23, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's more insanity of the left. All the hubbub that the left gun grabbers have tried to come up with have failed. They've tried to manipulate the data to fit their agenda once more. 60 million tax payer dollars to have the CDC do another study. They have done study after study after study and haven't got the right moron to fit their agenda.
The left's agenda is insane and is destroying this country.
Will YOU be happy when this occurs?
anon

Chambersburg, PA

#47150 May 23, 2014
who framed roger rabbit?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#47151 May 23, 2014
truth-facts wrote:
<quoted text>Is that right? I have yet to meet an honest libtard.Your heros use data and graphs that can be manipulated. It fits their agenda,same with this jerkwad;
Financial Times Outlines Problems with Piketty's Inequality Data
by John Sexton 23 May 2014, 11:55 AM PDT 420post a comment Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" has been widely praised by the left for its conclusion that capitalism is driving wealth inequality to levels not seen in over 100 years.
Financial Times did some checking on the underlying data which French economist Thomas Piketty used to under-gird his bestselling book. What FT found was a series of errors and unexplained data selections which, taken together, seem to undercut Piketty's main thesis.
FT has a story posted about the issue here but this video clip actually does a better job explaining some of the details:
The left cannot be honest about anything. If you don't get your way you harrass and bullie people to fit your agendas. If that doesn't work,you try to ruin people's careers.
S. Alinsky tactics.
Do you even begin to think about what you claim, trying to discredit a message on the basis of hiding the truth doesn't change the outcome. If he was talking BS , then how come the wealth of the country which 70% of Americans once owned in the 1950's moved up to the top 3-5% with the rest living from week to week. There are 100's of graphs on the net to display this clearly regardless of whether you believe them or not. The fact is more than any other country on Earth, the US does the least of any to control wealth distribution. For other countries that have done the same thing history doesn't treat them kindly. Sooner or later it all comes tumbling down. Capitalism is perfect for building wealth starting from zip, but if left unchecked it gets out of control and becomes a giant pyramid scheme. That is it's fatal flaw.
You screaming at Obama won't change a damn thing, its all of his predecessors that set this up most of all Reagan and you can see on the graphs after his time, the wealth distribution to the 3%'ers goes spiralling upwards much like the hockey stick graph for the emissions.
That is what happens when you believe this BS about letting the market doing as it pleases without any government intervention.

Look at this video and maybe you might rethink who needs their a$$ kicked.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#47152 May 23, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even begin to think about what you claim, trying to discredit a message on the basis of hiding the truth doesn't change the outcome.
Back on topic....

Perhaps you may be more forthright than your warmist brethren, but I doubt it.

None of your "experts", scientists, politicians, spokesman nor celebrities all touting the warmist agenda are actually acting as if their "crisis" is real.

Why?

Last week Obama was speechifying big the "green" agenda, this week he's off promoting tourism at the Baesball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Did he give any advice about how to get there via "green" energy? Nope. Just 'travel' here and enjoy!

Where are you warmists criticizing his omission?

C'mon.... your buds here have all run off from accountability, perhaps you'll man-up and take it on.

But as I said before, I doubt it.
truth-facts

Chillicothe, OH

#47153 May 23, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even begin to think about what you claim, trying to discredit a message on the basis of hiding the truth doesn't change the outcome. If he was talking BS , then how come the wealth of the country which 70% of Americans once owned in the 1950's moved up to the top 3-5% with the rest living from week to week. There are 100's of graphs on the net to display this clearly regardless of whether you believe them or not. The fact is more than any other country on Earth, the US does the least of any to control wealth distribution. For other countries that have done the same thing history doesn't treat them kindly. Sooner or later it all comes tumbling down. Capitalism is perfect for building wealth starting from zip, but if left unchecked it gets out of control and becomes a giant pyramid scheme. That is it's fatal flaw.
You screaming at Obama won't change a damn thing, its all of his predecessors that set this up most of all Reagan and you can see on the graphs after his time, the wealth distribution to the 3%'ers goes spiralling upwards much like the hockey stick graph for the emissions.
That is what happens when you believe this BS about letting the market doing as it pleases without any government intervention.
Look at this video and maybe you might rethink who needs their a$$ kicked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =QPKKQnijnsMXX
Here we go again with the demonrats and false narratives. Which party in Congress has the wealthiest members?
Hint for you,the party always preaching about wealth redistribution.The do as I say,not as I do party.
Kind of like when these Bozo's are out scaring people about GW but pollute the atmosphere with UNneccessary exhaust from UNneccassary travel.
They are hypocrites when it comes to the enviroment.
You direct your anger at the deniers when your energy should be attacking your master for his hypocrisy.

Location hidden

#47154 May 23, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Back on topic....
Perhaps you may be more forthright than your warmist brethren, but I doubt it.
None of your "experts", scientists, politicians, spokesman nor celebrities all touting the warmist agenda are actually acting as if their "crisis" is real.
Why?
Last week Obama was speechifying big the "green" agenda, this week he's off promoting tourism at the Baesball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Did he give any advice about how to get there via "green" energy? Nope. Just 'travel' here and enjoy!
Where are you warmists criticizing his omission?
C'mon.... your buds here have all run off from accountability, perhaps you'll man-up and take it on.
But as I said before, I doubt it.
Like i said before, this is not an argument in a fossil economy. The whole point of the President's message is transition from one energy source to another. As stated by a fossil interest businessman. It's not climate change that we fear the most, it's the innovation that comes with it that threatens our business. So the best way to protect their interests is to rally the ignorant to attack renewable's & all funding for research, that's how the game is played. Not only that, you would have the President confined to the oval office and the military drive around in solar powered tanks both of which are not practicable as yet.
If you want to be a crisis and have the country mobilise like it did during WW2. Then it must apply to everyone to do their bit in reducing their carbon footprint which doesn't mean running around in a loin cloth swinging from trees.

Location hidden

#47155 May 23, 2014
Also if enough of you deniers walk to the store instead of driving, that would mean the President can fly to more baseball games. Nothing like lending a hand to help the country & it might also mean less reliance on Obamacare for your health.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#47157 May 23, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>what percentage of sea level rise contributed to the 13 foot storm surge during an unusual high tide?
i'll let you do the math! maybe then you'll realize how stupid your claim is.
The percentage that flooded New York's railway tunnels for the first time in a century.

Location hidden

#47158 May 23, 2014
Lord Hater wrote:
<quoted text> So the powerful,celebrities,self proclaimed talking heads are allowed to pollute as much as they want but everyone else has to conserve so they can continue their lifestyle. But not anyone else.
Hey this is the world you are fighting to keep and living in right NOW! Taking a hit for the rich is what you do everyday and you are loving it. It's called the American dream, as long as they don't blow out your candle and believe in the myth that everyone can become a 1%'er then that is what you do. Scream out loud about welfare cheats and the like bringing the country down but don't even blink when you buy online from google or apple where the money just paid is going straight to Ireland or some other tax avoidance haven.
justhefacts

United States

#47159 May 23, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for documenting the long & continual decrease in re-pubic-lick-un numbers. Yeah, the re-pubic-lick-uns are on their way out.
And YOU think Reps on the way out is a good thing …better PRAY NOT. I’ve SEEN that Future with one culture no Racism etc.. I work and live part time in Puerto Rico American citizens.
The Islands has been under their elected ‘Democrats” governorship for over half a century except for one election They have been addicted to Dem Welfare which KILLED the Island people
FACTS in PR
Over 40% Quit School
Over 60% of P.R. pop is on some type of Dems Gov Assistance
Labor force Participation in PR has NEVER been past 40% for decades.
PR averages double-digit unemployment for Decades
School in PR are 3 years behind ours meaning a 12th grader equivalency in PR is at best an 8th-9th grader in the states.
So WHY does the Democrats think an all Dem country is a good thing. I have 1000s of hours and years researching U.S.‘report” card and every where in the country cities large or small when that city/area eventually turns Democratic Party the town/city which once was good ends up in the toilet in H.S. grad rates. Crime through the ROOF, Welfare through the ROOF, Real estate values declines/combined drops in the Trillions over the Decades because of Dems welfare baby factories Killing our U.S. Cites and the Country becoming one big infested crime ridden Ghetto

So as a human being an American you think that’s a GOOD thing?????????? You don’t see that facts and say hay there’s something fundamentality wrong with the Democrats Physiological Mental Processing and violence at the base core…

One can debate and argue about different opinions but when those opinion kills the country on all fronts something is fundamentally WRONG when those opinions for over half a century kills our economy and our U.S. Cites in crime murder, welfare.

Just wrap your head around this. If Dems cant create an viable economy in their own back yard Ghettos and had 50 years to do so, then Logically how can one expect Dems at the Highest level crate ANY viable Economy. This is a VAILD point!!!! But STILL you Dems are so blind to actual historical facts in how your party affects that nation way of life in safety, economy, and education

But I see you talk like a child “pubic-lick-un”

I’ve seen what a WHOLE Democrat society looks like and ends up like.

Puerto Rico Which I live part time there and work there, the Islands has been under the ‘Democrats” governorship for over half a century except for one election Ricans have been addicted to Dem Welfare in P.R. which KILLED the Island people FACTS

Over 50% Quit School
Over 60% on some type of Dems Gov Assistance
School in PR are 3 years behind ours meaning a 12th grader equivalency in PR is at best a 8th-9th grader in the states. Again WHY are the Democrats so screwed up in basic math? WHERE in the U.S have they been successful in creating just a SMALL economy in their Ghettos? WHY are the Democrats voter base SO illiterate and WHY are 90% of ALL U.S. Murders caused by democrat voters????

Do you have ANY facts/numbers to prove me wrong which I know cant be done by the numbers and that’s the sad part for America.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#47160 May 24, 2014
Tank Murdoch wrote:
the green peace founder admits global warming is a scam; makes sense with Antarctica w/ 35 year high ice levels
Confused Kerry Flubs Temp Data in Climate Speech...

Infamous 'global cooling' author now insists Earth was warming all along...

Still nothing on the American being held in Mexico..........

Location hidden

#47161 May 24, 2014
justhefacts wrote:
<quoted text>
And YOU think Reps on the way out is a good thing …better PRAY NOT. I’ve SEEN that Future with one culture no Racism etc.. I work and live part time in Puerto Rico American citizens.
The Islands has been under their elected ‘Democrats” governorship for over half a century except for one election They have been addicted to Dem Welfare which KILLED the Island people
Do you have ANY facts/numbers to prove me wrong which I know cant be done by the numbers and that’s the sad part for America.
Unbelievable! if you posted this anywhere else in the world they would laugh at you. It's the height of ignorance that you WANT to believe that the poorest cities in America have become poor because of democratic administrations. Not even considering the wealth shift and loss of manufacturing jobs with big corporate moving out of town to Asia. Does some Republican mayor suddenly wave his/her magic wand and fix that. No One ELECTS to be poor, NO one wants to sleep under a subway yet you want to flag all those who do as bringing the country down. It's beyond insane, Obama has no way of fixing any of that until the wealth of the country starts to get distributed in a more rational manner.

A good BBC doco which is more objective than the distorted view you hold. This is from the outside looking in and it's not a pretty picture.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/poor-america/

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#47162 May 24, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
Unbelievable! if you posted this anywhere else in the world they would laugh at you. It's the height of ignorance that you WANT to believe that the poorest cities in America have become poor because of democratic administrations. Not even considering the wealth shift and loss of manufacturing jobs with big corporate moving out of town to Asia. Does some Republican mayor suddenly wave his/her magic wand and fix that. No One ELECTS to be poor, NO one wants to sleep under a subway yet you want to flag all those who do as bringing the country down. It's beyond insane, Obama has no way of fixing any of that until the wealth of the country starts to get distributed in a more rational manner. A good BBC doco which is more objective than the distorted view you hold. This is from the outside looking in and it's not a pretty picture.[URL deleted]
Not only was the Democratic party in charge of those poorest cities; the environmentalists in the Democratic party was in charge of creating tax and regulatory incentives for big corporations to outsource creating the poverty.

The only way to fix it is to cut wasteful government spending, repeal intrusive regulation and stop higher taxes.
budd

Pattaya, Thailand

#47163 May 24, 2014
justhefacts wrote:
<quoted text>

Democratic Party the town/city which once was good ends up in the toilet in H.S. grad rates. Crime through the ROOF,
If you got off the Fox news you might learn a thing or two.

Crime is through the roof huh? The FBI doesn't think so.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in...

Grad rates in the toilet Huh? Not according to Politico.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/high-sc...

You seem to have been misled by the yellow journalism of the right wing noise machine.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#47164 May 24, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Like i said before, this is not an argument in a fossil economy.

[stupid irrational thoughts omitted]
Translation: Nope... not gonna criticize our own.

Thought so.... you had your chance to man-up. You failed.

You're not alone in that
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#47165 May 24, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
Also if enough of you deniers walk to the store instead of driving, that would mean the President can fly to more baseball games. Nothing like lending a hand to help the country & it might also mean less reliance on Obamacare for your health.
What a laughable benefit.

Obama makes no changes in 'his' energy consumption, but everyone else does.

You like being a peon?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 59 min Julia 1,507,796
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Coffee Party 239,228
News Chicago had a record year of dog poop complaints 7 hr Trump is the man 1
Trumps travel ban discussion 7 hr The truth is out ... 1
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 9 hr Trekkie 38
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr SweLL GirL 10,490
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 10 hr Seer 8,064

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages