Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46922 May 17, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
What doesn't occur to you and the likes of mothballs is when you elect a government it's there to look after the big picture stuff, you know the things that you can't personally look after. That's why you pay your taxes.
That doesn't mean for the government to put food on your table or clothes on your back. That's what you as an individual should do and it is also what the community expects. Climate change action sure as hell comes under the BIG picture

[the point at which your screed became tiresome and I quit reading it]
The BIG PICTURE is that as a warmist you continue to puff out that dreadful, evil CO2 with every one of your screeds.

Find fault with yourself?

Nope... it must be them other guys.

Hypocrite.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#46923 May 17, 2014
No way wrote:
<quoted text>
The same scientific academies that produced Common Core in the US. It's a herd mentality.
You are saying that scientific academies created Common Core?

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#46924 May 17, 2014
Bloody Bill Anderson wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer to that is simple enough: Koch brothers, et al, the very rich elite who are behind the extreme Right lunatic fringe's suicide hijacking of the Republican party are heavily invested in coal, coal fired power plants, the oil industry, etc., the very industries that are pouring CO2 into the atmosphere.
And of course they will use any tactics to maintain their investments. Even melding religion with politics. Do you really think the RW politicians really care about abortion, same sex marriage, or even Christianity? How stupid some folks can be! All they want is their votes to maintain their gravy train.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46925 May 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>so i'm correct! you don't know if it's a regular occurrence or not, son. you just want everyone to believe this is some new phenomenon caused by man made co2 emissions. come on, little sneaky boi, come clean!!
No, you are wrong..

Repeat: Southern Ocean winds that normally deliver rain to South Australia are being pushed further south towards Antarctica.

“I Feel”

Since: Feb 09

Blest4it!

#46926 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are wrong..
Repeat: Southern Ocean winds that normally deliver rain to South Australia are being pushed further south towards Antarctica.
no.i'm right!!

you don't know if this is something that happens on a regular, semi-regular, or occasional basis, son!!

you also don't know if it has anything to do with man made co2!!

therefore....you're just a full of shyt lying propagandist!!

breathe in s-l-o-w-l-y.....but for god's sake don't exhale!!! you'd be contributing to man made co2.....and further evidence of your hypocrisy!!!

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#46927 May 17, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
What doesn't occur to you and the likes of mothballs is when you elect a government it's there to look after the big picture stuff, you know the things that you can't personally look after. That's why you pay your taxes.
That doesn't mean for the government to put food on your table or clothes on your back. That's what you as an individual should do and it is also what the community expects. Climate change action sure as hell comes under the BIG picture stuff that governments have to look after. You telling the government it doesn't exist doesn't make it go away, it's going to be there like death and taxes. All this BS about freedom is just a ruse, any civilised society has rules and we learn to play by those rules. It can also mean new rules being added to the list as we progress then the next generation that comes along doesn't even see it as a rule but just a way of life. This has happened all throughout history as science learnt the dangers of infection and disease. We learnt we can't just dump waste into a river, we learnt to treat our drinking water, stop at a red light, wear seat belts when driving, not to talk in class, changing products to make them safe. All brought down by governments. Those rules are all around us every day and we live by them, yet you declare another rule on polluting the planet must be the tipping point for you and your precious freedom. Don't you even begin to see how the logic of that is no different than Taliban logic.
government should promote opportunity, ingenuity, and creativity. government should provide for those freedoms only. government should not be a nanny state, son!

the "big picture" is something left to the citizens, fool!! this nation was founded and built upon what freedom loving citizens decided by morals, beliefs, and self determination. that's why you little creeps should stop bytching about congress. some of us don't want the government ruling our lives. if you don't thank us someday.....maybe your kids will.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46928 May 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>no.i'm right!!
you don't know if this is something that happens on a regular, semi-regular, or occasional basis, son!!
you also don't know if it has anything to do with man made co2!!
therefore....you're just a full of shyt lying propagandist!!
breathe in s-l-o-w-l-y.....but for god's sake don't exhale!!! you'd be contributing to man made co2.....and further evidence of your hypocrisy!!!
Tell me why you are here, irregular moron. You are a nuisance.

Read the English language. No one can help you!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46929 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are wrong..
CORRECT!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46930 May 17, 2014
In 2013, the CSIRO released a report stating Australia is getting hotter.[19] In 2014, the Bureau of Meteorology released a report on the state of Australia's climate, which highlighted several key points, including the dramatic increase in Australia's temperatures and the increasing frequency of bush fires, droughts and floods which have all been linked to climate change.[20][wikipedia]

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#46931 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me why you are here, irregular moron. You are a nuisance.
i'm here for the entertainment! thanks for your contribution, son.

please don't tell me you're here for something important!! if so, you need to "up your game".

you're a great joke....but that's about it.

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#46932 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
In 2013, the CSIRO released a report stating Australia is getting hotter.[19] In 2014, the Bureau of Meteorology released a report on the state of Australia's climate, which highlighted several key points, including the dramatic increase in Australia's temperatures and the increasing frequency of bush fires, droughts and floods which have all been linked to climate change.[20][wikipedia]
maybe you should move 'down under', son. the hype is becoming passe in australia. apparently people in the southern hemisphere have become wise to the hoax.

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#46933 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>CORRECT!
why are you talking to yourself, son? or was that response meant to be under another idiot alarmist moniker??

bwaaaahahhahahhahahahhahahahah hhahaaaaaaahhhhaaahahhhahhahah ahahahhaha

you are a fuquing foooooooool
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46934 May 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>maybe you should move 'down under', son. the hype is becoming passe in australia. apparently people in the southern hemisphere have become wise to the hoax.
I should visit first.

The study by the Australian National University has discovered the reason why southern Australia, particularly Western Australia and some parts of South Australia, is drying out.

Researchers have found winds encircling Antarctica have sped up and moved south as a direct result of climate change — a weather pattern that results in southern Australia missing out on winter rainfall.

Lead researcher Dr Nerilie Abram, of the university’s School of Earth Sciences, said Antarctica's strong and stormy winds provided an important source of rainfall to the southern parts of the nation.

This weather pattern is one of Western Australia’s only sources of rainfall and is the reason behind some of South Australia's wet weather.

“The amount of rainfall Australia gets from those winds depends on how tightly they’re blowing around Antarctica,” she said.

“If the winds pull in really tight, Australia misses out getting the rain from the Southern Ocean.”

By analysing ice cores from Antarctica, along with data from tree rings and lakes in South America, Dr Abram was able to extend the history of the winds back over the last millennium.

“(Today) more and more of those winds are being pulled close to Antarctica and Australia misses out on rain,” she said.

“We can now see really clearly as greenhouse gases have started to rise, that’s been the trigger for pushing these winds closer to Antarctica and as a result of that, Australia gets less rain.”

“The increase in the winds has been particularly strong since about 1940.”

Dr Abram said the results were worrying, particularly for farmers who rely on winter rainfall.

“It certainly paints a bleak picture for decreasing Australian rainfall,” she said.

“(It means) we’ll still get some of those cold fronts and storms come up from the Southern Ocean, but it means we will get less of them.”

“Because, the winds just keep blowing around and around and around.”

Dr Abram said she hoped the findings would give governments and private companies more incentive to tackle the effects of climate change before it was too late.

“It gives us more incentive to try and attack the cause of the problem to get our emissions down,” she said.

As a result of the changing winds, the study also revealed cold air is being trapped over Antarctica, which helps explain why it isn’t warming in line with the rest of the continents.

Dr Abram said the study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change today, provided key insight into the reason why Australia’s rainfall has decreased by 20 per cent since the 1960s.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46935 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Tell me why you are here, irregular moron. You are a nuisance.
Why are you here?

To prove you're a hypocrite?

Already done.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46936 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text> I should visit first.
The study by the Australian National University has discovered the reason why southern Australia, particularly Western Australia and some parts of South Australia, is drying out.
Researchers have found winds encircling Antarctica have sped up and moved south as a direct result of climate change — a weather pattern that results in southern Australia missing out on winter rainfall.
Lead researcher Dr Nerilie Abram, of the university’s School of Earth Sciences, said Antarctica's strong and stormy winds provided an important source of rainfall to the southern parts of the nation.
This weather pattern is one of Western Australia’s only sources of rainfall and is the reason behind some of South Australia's wet weather.
“The amount of rainfall Australia gets from those winds depends on how tightly they’re blowing around Antarctica,” she said.
“If the winds pull in really tight, Australia misses out getting the rain from the Southern Ocean.”
By analysing ice cores from Antarctica, along with data from tree rings and lakes in South America, Dr Abram was able to extend the history of the winds back over the last millennium.
“(Today) more and more of those winds are being pulled close to Antarctica and Australia misses out on rain,” she said.
“We can now see really clearly as greenhouse gases have started to rise, that’s been the trigger for pushing these winds closer to Antarctica and as a result of that, Australia gets less rain.”
“The increase in the winds has been particularly strong since about 1940.”
Dr Abram said the results were worrying, particularly for farmers who rely on winter rainfall.
“It certainly paints a bleak picture for decreasing Australian rainfall,” she said.
“(It means) we’ll still get some of those cold fronts and storms come up from the Southern Ocean, but it means we will get less of them.”
“Because, the winds just keep blowing around and around and around.”
Dr Abram said she hoped the findings would give governments and private companies more incentive to tackle the effects of climate change before it was too late.
“It gives us more incentive to try and attack the cause of the problem to get our emissions down,” she said.
As a result of the changing winds, the study also revealed cold air is being trapped over Antarctica, which helps explain why it isn’t warming in line with the rest of the continents.
Dr Abram said the study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change today, provided key insight into the reason why Australia’s rainfall has decreased by 20 per cent since the 1960s.
*poof*

More and more CO2 courtesy of a global warming hypocrite.

Crisis my arse.

“I Feel”

Blest4it!

#46937 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>

were the ghg's mostly co2? have they shown the correlation of ghg's are the impetus of the changes? how did they determine that was the trigger? where is the proof?

if an assertion becomes fact....there must be indisputable evidence!! i haven't seem that....have you? i'd love to se it if you did!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46938 May 17, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you here?
To prove you're a hypocrite?
Already done.
POOF
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46939 May 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>POOF
Did you disappear?

Hope so... and you should too. That way all that evil CO2 you spew into the atmosphere will be gone too.

Just think... you wouldn't be a hypocrite any more.

LOL
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46940 May 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>were the ghg's mostly co2? have they shown the correlation of ghg's are the impetus of the changes? how did they determine that was the trigger? where is the proof?
if an assertion becomes fact....there must be indisputable evidence!! i haven't seem that....have you? i'd love to se it if you did!!
Educate yourself.

Your points are utterly stupid. You don't have a clue..just like your comrade brian.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46941 May 17, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you disappear?
Hope so... and you should too. That way all that evil CO2 you spew into the atmosphere will be gone too.
Just think... you wouldn't be a hypocrite any more.
LOL
POOF

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,224,603
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 187,890
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Gas Woman 69,825
Word (Dec '08) 5 hr _Zoey_ 5,213
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr _Zoey_ 5,951
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 11 hr boundary painter 1,175
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 11 hr boundary painter 1,650
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]