Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 61049 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#46883 May 16, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you give us your best shot on how climate change became a liberal idea ?
"Never let a good disaster go to waste."
They saw an opportunity to grow government so they took the ball and ran with it. What is the recipe for saving the planet? Who will orchestrate the transformation of Earth?

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#46884 May 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Self-contradicting, poster.. go away to your mudbuilding.
Just put down the doobie and put on your thinking cap. You do have a thinking cap?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#46886 May 16, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Never let a good disaster go to waste."
They saw an opportunity to grow government so they took the ball and ran with it. What is the recipe for saving the planet? Who will orchestrate the transformation of Earth?
Honestly, you guys are quite a few cards short of a full deck. If it wasn't for government you would have NOTHING, no roads to travel on, no schools or hospitals to attend, no infrastructure, no army, no navy , no airforce, no police, no fire dept. Without the collective power of the government you are NOTHING! If the government wasn't there to rule over community standards we would have NONE! Otherwise I could set myself up as a brain surgeon lose every patient after they paid up front and no one could sue me afterwards.
That's what government protects you from, not to get out of the road and believe in this fairytale existence that everyone will do the right thing because we both know that doesn't happen.

Get that into your thick heads, you elect a government to look after the interests of the majority not fringe groups. You flat earther's are most definitely a fringe group. To even contemplate climate change action is some sort of concealed plot to grow government is beyond stupid!
Lee

Mclean, VA

#46887 May 17, 2014
Kind of too late to change the minds of ignorant people.

Since: Mar 14

Narangba, Australia

#46888 May 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>'there are too many of us'......who are you talking about?
every lost civilization before. Fill this world it shall break. I am asking be less, powerful is something else. The number is not the true. Stu

Narangba, Australia

#46889 May 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure, doubt is all that you embrace. Try embracing reality! You are attracted to doubt like a moth to a light.
there is an honesty, another power. It is reason but, reason is not true. It's the power of self and word and the catch the kiss. To see is to know, we are the clever children of the universe, we are the children of god. Be cool show me this perfect heart.

Narangba, Australia

#46890 May 17, 2014
Start being lovingly powerfully political. Servants of a future truth. Young New Yorkers should be powerful and screw false prophets.. The only prophet is us and we have to start.

Narangba, Australia

#46891 May 17, 2014
This one small Earth. This place. This race. Us. Give shortsighted politicians a miss. We are on the cusp. There are too many of us. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. The spirit can provide to a degree, allow the possibility of the infinite, or tabula rasa, reboot. An all encompassing mass extinction event. Stand up and shout. Talking has always had the possibility of salvation, so talk, communicate, make. God tells us we are connected. Separate tragedy lies. Seek the true mind shouting. Stu

Narangba, Australia

#46892 May 17, 2014
Learn to shout yourselves.
THE CLIMATE ACTIVIST HOAX

Dover, OH

#46894 May 17, 2014
The 97%'ers dont exist, more like 0.3%!!!

“Ninety-seven percent of scientists, including, by the way, some who originally disputed the data, have now put that to rest,” President Obama said last year announcing his climate plan.“They’ve acknowledged the planet is warming and human activity is contributing to it.” JUST ANOTHER OBAMA LIE!

But Cook’s 97 percent consensus claim was rebutted in subsequent analyses of his study. A paper by five leading climatologists published in the journal Science and Education last year found that Cook’s study misrepresented the views of most consensus scientists.

The definition Cook used to get his consensus was weak, the climatologists said. Only 41 out of the 11,944 published climate studies examined by Cook explicitly stated that mankind caused most of the warming since 1950 — meaning the actual consensus is 0.3 percent.

“It is astonishing that any journal could have published a paper claiming a 97% climate consensus when on the authors’ own analysis the true consensus was well below 1%,” said Dr. David Legates, a geology professor at the University of Delaware and the study’s lead author.

Queensland’s legal fight with Schollenberger comes while UK news outlets are reporting that one of the world’s top scientific journals rejected a study from five climate scientists for political reasons.

The UK Times reported that a reviewer with the journal Environmental Research Letters rejected the study because it was “harmful” to the climate cause because it “opens the door for oversimplified claims of ‘errors’ and worse from the climate skeptics media side.”

“The problem we now have in the climate community is that some scientists are mixing up their scientific role with that of a climate activist,” Lennart Bengtsson, a research fellow at the University of Reading, told the Times.

Bengtsson was one of the study’s authors and recently joined the camp of scientists skeptical of global warming.

FULL STORY:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/16/where-did-9...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#46895 May 17, 2014
THE CLIMATE ACTIVIST HOAX wrote:
The 97%'ers dont exist, more like 0.3%!!!
“Ninety-seven percent of scientists, including, by the way, some who originally disputed the data, have now put that to rest,” President Obama said last year announcing his climate plan.“They’ve acknowledged the planet is warming and human activity is contributing to it.” JUST ANOTHER OBAMA LIE!
But Cook’s 97 percent consensus claim was rebutted in subsequent analyses of his study. A paper by five leading climatologists published in the journal Science and Education last year found that Cook’s study misrepresented the views of most consensus scientists.
The definition Cook used to get his consensus was weak, the climatologists said. Only 41 out of the 11,944 published climate studies examined by Cook explicitly stated that mankind caused most of the warming since 1950 — meaning the actual consensus is 0.3 percent.
“It is astonishing that any journal could have published a paper claiming a 97% climate consensus when on the authors’ own analysis the true consensus was well below 1%,” said Dr. David Legates, a geology professor at the University of Delaware and the study’s lead author.
Queensland’s legal fight with Schollenberger comes while UK news outlets are reporting that one of the world’s top scientific journals rejected a study from five climate scientists for political reasons.
The UK Times reported that a reviewer with the journal Environmental Research Letters rejected the study because it was “harmful” to the climate cause because it “opens the door for oversimplified claims of ‘errors’ and worse from the climate skeptics media side.”
“The problem we now have in the climate community is that some scientists are mixing up their scientific role with that of a climate activist,” Lennart Bengtsson, a research fellow at the University of Reading, told the Times.
Bengtsson was one of the study’s authors and recently joined the camp of scientists skeptical of global warming.
FULL STORY:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/16/where-did-9...
This from the conservative "National Enquirer" rag sheet. How do they coorelate this with the fact that every great scientific academy throughout the entire world agrees that global warming is happening and that man is a significant contributor to this warming?
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#46896 May 17, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, you guys are quite a few cards short of a full deck. If it wasn't for government you would have NOTHING, no roads to travel on, no schools or hospitals to attend, no infrastructure, no army, no navy , no airforce, no police, no fire dept. Without the collective power of the government you are NOTHING! If the government wasn't there to rule over community standards we would have NONE! Otherwise I could set myself up as a brain surgeon lose every patient after they paid up front and no one could sue me afterwards.
That's what government protects you from, not to get out of the road and believe in this fairytale existence that everyone will do the right thing because we both know that doesn't happen.
Get that into your thick heads, you elect a government to look after the interests of the majority not fringe groups. You flat earther's are most definitely a fringe group. To even contemplate climate change action is some sort of concealed plot to grow government is beyond stupid!
Once again the reactionary warmist runs off to the extreme and concludes that opposition to a single government policy (or a few) means opposition to government at all levels.

No matter how many times this has been noted this nutjob runs off at the mouth with another string of inanities.

<sigh>
CLIMATE ACTIVIST HOAXER

Dover, OH

#46897 May 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
This from the conservative "National Enquirer" rag sheet. How do they coorelate this with the fact that every great scientific academy throughout the entire world agrees that global warming is happening and that man is a significant contributor to this warming?
see above
No way

Chatsworth, CA

#46898 May 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
The same scientific academies that produced Common Core in the US. It's a herd mentality.
No way

Chatsworth, CA

#46899 May 17, 2014
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
This one small Earth. This place. This race. Us. Give shortsighted politicians a miss. We are on the cusp. There are too many of us. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. The spirit can provide to a degree, allow the possibility of the infinite, or tabula rasa, reboot. An all encompassing mass extinction event. Stand up and shout. Talking has always had the possibility of salvation, so talk, communicate, make. God tells us we are connected. Separate tragedy lies. Seek the true mind shouting. Stu
Lot of words but poor communication. You must be attending seminars.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#46900 May 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
This from YOU.... as if you're a credible source.

Like all warminsts you bitch and moan about a "crisis" but go mum when your leaders, spokesmen, politicians and scientists don't abide by the "crisis" they all claim exists.

Do run along... your lack of credibility not only wastes bandwidth but also pollutes that atmosphere with that dreaded CO2 which you claim is the root of the "crisis"... oh wait... you're a warmist, and give yourself a pass on... er.. umm... well pretty much everything.

All except kvetching more about the "crisis".
CLIMATE ACTIVIST HOAX

Dover, OH

#46901 May 17, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again the reactionary warmist runs off to the extreme and concludes that opposition to a single government policy (or a few) means opposition to government at all levels.
No matter how many times this has been noted this nutjob runs off at the mouth with another string of inanities.
<sigh>
The playbook never changes with the hoaxers.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#46902 May 17, 2014
No way wrote:
<quoted text>
The same scientific academies that produced Common Core in the US. It's a herd mentality.
I think I understand. It is better to promote the gossip of the denier sources than it is to accept the findings of professional scientists. LOL

If that is the backbone of the conservative understanding, they will soon become marginalized and ineffective. I am not sure when it became necessary for the conservatives to demonize science for their agenda but it is certain that intelligence will once again determine their fate.

That is one reason I have left the Republican Party.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#46904 May 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I understand.
Nope... on both counts.

How's the "crisis" today?

Apparently not so bad cuz you're back here again releasing more of the dreaded CO2 into the atmosphere with your failed 'thinking' and 'understanding'.

Thanks so much for playing "phony of the hour"... you win!

“Amor patriae.”

Eastern Oregon

#46905 May 17, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
It must suck being a trembling little mouse. A person not used to freedom doesn't notice or care when it's taken from them. In fact, once you're convinced of the dangers that beset you, you willingly forfeit your freedom for a little artificial security. I, for one, will not tolerate an institutionalized existence or give credit to anyone who pushes for one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Jacques in Orlean... 222,554
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min RoxLo 1,419,269
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 min TRD 70,953
News Boy, 17, among 3 wounded in South Side shooting 29 min Go Blue Forever 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 35 min Go Blue Forever 103,458
Suboxone 3 hr Sick in Chicago 1
here we go - now i suppose we will see full cou... 4 hr Blood on his hands 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages