Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 20 comments on the Dec 14, 2008, Newsday story titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#46733 May 13, 2014
Rocky wrote:
Until climate change scientists come out with a united voice recommending a SUBSTANTIAL increase in nuclear power, I don't believe they think this is a serious problem.
Don't hold your breath. AGW "scientists" don't get paid for recommending alternatives, least of all nuclear. They get paid to scare the shit out of everyone and instill guilt for using fossil fuels.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#46734 May 13, 2014
No Warming wrote:
<quoted text>
The fool would be the one who thinks that .01C warming is going to end all life, the liar would be the one who seeks out poor fools in attempt to convince them it will.
Well it seems there are fools all around us, do you have any idea where most of the warming is going ? It's into the oceans and that is where the super storms come from. 1 deg rise can mean the difference in hurricane season between a cat 2 and a cat 5. Not to mention all the damn water that will drop as a storm forms sucking up moisture like a vacuum cleaner.
When are you people going to get a clue ???

https://www.skepticalscience.com/The-Oceans-W...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#46735 May 13, 2014
This story is not about the opening scene from the movie "The Day "After Tomorrow," when a giant chunk of Antarctica suddenly slides into the ocean, triggering a global climate catastrophe.
But the fact that the massive West Antarctic ice sheet is starting to collapse is sobering, to say the very least. Two new studies out this week say the collapse may be slow, but it's unstoppable now, and will contribute to rising sea levels.

Robert Bindschadler, a former Antarctic field researcher with NASA, says studies of the West Antarctic ice sheet confirm what he and other scientists have suspected for some time.

"What we've been worried about is this eventual collapse, and we were always concerned were we witnessing the opening chapter of this collapse? We didn't know how to recognize that, but these studies really are the best evidence we have that, in fact, we are witnessing the opening chapter of this collapse," he says."

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-05-13/scienti...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46736 May 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
This story is not about the opening scene from the movie "The Day "After Tomorrow," when a giant chunk of Antarctica suddenly slides into the ocean, triggering a global climate catastrophe.
But the fact that the massive West Antarctic ice sheet is starting to collapse is sobering, to say the very least. Two new studies out this week say the collapse may be slow, but it's unstoppable now, and will contribute to rising sea levels.
Robert Bindschadler, a former Antarctic field researcher with NASA, says studies of the West Antarctic ice sheet confirm what he and other scientists have suspected for some time.
"What we've been worried about is this eventual collapse, and we were always concerned were we witnessing the opening chapter of this collapse? We didn't know how to recognize that, but these studies really are the best evidence we have that, in fact, we are witnessing the opening chapter of this collapse," he says."
http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-05-13/scienti...
Antarctic ice melts, North America gets the sea-level rise by an additional two meters. It's not at the Pacific islands..

SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46737 May 13, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't hold your breath. AGW "scientists" don't get paid for recommending alternatives, least of all nuclear. They get paid to scare the shit out of everyone and instill guilt for using fossil fuels.
And you get paid by the Koch bros, right?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46738 May 13, 2014
Rocky wrote:
Until climate change scientists come out with a united voice recommending a SUBSTANTIAL increase in nuclear power, I don't believe they think this is a serious problem.
Why is that?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46739 May 13, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
http://www.climatechanged-ispa tch.com/new-climate-change-rep ort-is-filled-with-falsehoods. html
tactics of a "ty-runt".
Here's ta bird killer..

http://www.marineornithology.org/PDF/42_1/42_...
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#46740 May 13, 2014
OzRitz finally pulls out the deep ocean story, it took Trenberth awhile to think of it too. Less fact will be so happy, just keep posting cherry picking and deep ocean.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#46741 May 13, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Here's ta bird killer..
http://www.marineornithology.org/PDF/42_1/42_...
what does that link have to do with the swallows your fuqued up friend kills?

you people really are ignorant....and pretend to be smart.

i guess that's why you have to act like you're smarter than other posters?

psssst...you fail on all counts, son.

btw.....lie to us like litethong and state where your pretend degree came from!!

haa haa haa haa

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#46742 May 13, 2014
Russia,China,India and every other third world country are the real environmental concerns. All you climate disrupter's should consider moving and protest out of the U.S.A where it will do more good.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46743 May 13, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Earth is warming. CO2 is a GHG. Burning fossil fuels causes CO2 to increase in the atmosphere. Those are the facts. Deal with them!
Deal with this... all this hoopla about a "crisis" is a load of bullshyt. Obama is out talking big but is he doing anything himself? Maybe a pledge to keep family vacations to one plane?

<crickets>

Where is your outrage? Should you not be protesting the advocates who give only lip service to the "crisis"?

No?

Gee... and yet you persist in your stupid posts on the internet creating more of that dreaded CO2 with each one.

So is it a "crisis" or not?

With each post you demonstrate that it IS NOT!

Go 'whack yourself.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46744 May 13, 2014
Rocky wrote:
Until climate change scientists come out with a united voice recommending a SUBSTANTIAL increase in nuclear power, I don't believe they think this is a serious problem.
Until advocates of the "consensus science" start acting like it's a crisis and start holding their "experts", politicians and celebrities accountable, Joe Sixpack will just see this as the pile of manure it is.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#46745 May 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it seems there are fools all around us,
And you're one of the biggest.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#46746 May 13, 2014
500 days till climate disaster.
gretchen

Wilmington, OH

#46747 May 13, 2014
OK , I am going to use some common sense . Why should we invest our tax dollars on Global Warming when we are at war and in debt to China?
What good will it do the world if the USA is the only country complying with Global Warming Prevention if other countries in the world do not follow the same policy?
When You GO GREEN people get China, Russia, Japan all on board to comply then protest. Until then you are blowing hot air!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#46749 May 13, 2014
gretchen wrote:
OK , I am going to use some common sense . Why should we invest our tax dollars on Global Warming when we are at war and in debt to China?
What good will it do the world if the USA is the only country complying with Global Warming Prevention if other countries in the world do not follow the same policy?
When You GO GREEN people get China, Russia, Japan all on board to comply then protest. Until then you are blowing hot air!
What you will find that the next climate action summit in sept of 2014 all these countries will come on board. It may be too late as we are well and truly into climate change already but every lil bit helps. Future generations will be cursing these flat earther's for 100's of years and they will take their place in history alongside both Hitler and Stalin.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#46750 May 14, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
This story is not about the opening scene from the movie "The Day "After Tomorrow," when a giant chunk of Antarctica suddenly slides into the ocean, triggering a global climate catastrophe....
Did you know Al Gore used those computer modeled scenes of antarctic ice for his propaganda movie,'An Inconvenient Truth'?
http://motls.blogspot.de/2008/04/abc-inconven...

Fear of man made climate disruption isn't based on facts. its based on fear. Gravity makes glaciers flow to the sea, not man made CO2.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#46751 May 14, 2014
Now some "truthers" are vandalizing signs at playgrounds dedicated to some of the Sandy Hook victims. One even called the mother of a victim to tell her that he knew the Sandy Hook tragedy was a hoax and that her daughter never existed.

This kind of lunacy makes me think you idiots have diversified. That's just the latest non-hoax hoax you've discovered.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#46752 May 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Deal with this... all this hoopla about a "crisis" is a load of bullshyt. Obama is out talking big but is he doing anything himself? Maybe a pledge to keep family vacations to one plane?
<crickets>
Where is your outrage? Should you not be protesting the advocates who give only lip service to the "crisis"?
No?
Gee... and yet you persist in your stupid posts on the internet creating more of that dreaded CO2 with each one.
So is it a "crisis" or not?
With each post you demonstrate that it IS NOT!
Go 'whack yourself.
More whackin' to do, The little rascals just keep poppin' up, guess they are so stupid that they don't understand where they got the lumps on their little heads....

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#46753 May 14, 2014
gretchen wrote:
OK , I am going to use some common sense . Why should we invest our tax dollars on Global Warming when we are at war and in debt to China?
What good will it do the world if the USA is the only country complying with Global Warming Prevention if other countries in the world do not follow the same policy?
When You GO GREEN people get China, Russia, Japan all on board to comply then protest. Until then you are blowing hot air!
China is working on decreasing pollution and global warming.
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90780/9134...

The good news is the Chinese government is acting to address the challenge on an equally massive scale. It has pledged to reduce its carbon intensity by 40-45 percent by 2020 compared to 2005 levels, and to increase its non-fossil fuel-based energy consumption to 15 percent by 2020.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/opinion/2013...

So where is your argument now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min Dale 187,269
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 18 min Nuculur option 1,219,612
abby 4-24 1 hr Michael Satterfield 17
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 69,671
Amy 4-24 3 hr Julie 12
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Doug77 5,898
Appletree Daycare Center, Pulaski, 4 hr maria 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]