Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64675 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#46310 Apr 28, 2014
Hey now wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to move my beach chair back 4 inches every 25 years. lol
You won't last long.. how come you know no maths?

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#46311 Apr 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You won't last long.. how come you know no maths?
How come you know no Englishes?
truth facts

Lewis Center, OH

#46312 Apr 28, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
AGW denier science at its immoral, macho best.
Go smoke some more weed or whatever you put in that pipe.
truth facts

Lewis Center, OH

#46313 Apr 28, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
AGW denier science at its immoral, macho best.
Your undoubtedly referring to your heroes at the UN.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46314 Apr 28, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
How come you know no Englishes?
LOL. Is this a global issue?

Is “math” or “maths” the correct word to use as the shortened or colloquial form of the word mathematics? The answer is that it depends on where you are.

To North American speakers of English, the word to use is “math”, as in “I majored in math”, and “maths” would sound wrong. Speakers of British English, however, would always say “maths”, as in “I took a degree in maths”. They would never say “math”.

There are logical arguments for both spellings. The word “mathematics” can be considered as a singular and as a plural noun. Both the Oxford and the Merriam-Webster dictionaries say the word is plural – hence the s on the end – but also that it is usually used as if it was a singular noun. So, most people would say “mathematics is my best subject” and not “mathematics are my best subject”. The shortened form “maths”, then, makes sense because the word is still a plural noun and so should still have the “s” on the end. On the other hand, it could be argued,“math” makes sense because it seems wrong to remove the letters “ematic” from the middle of the word and leave the final “s”.

There are a number of other plural nouns that are used as if they were singular – for example economics, ethics, politics, gymnastics, measles and dominoes. These words, however, are not habitually shortened, making math/maths rather an unusual word.

It’s sometimes surprising how much argument and disagreement small differences such as that single letter can make. Readers in the UK, for example, sometimes get very upset if someone writes “math” rather than “maths”. No doubt the reverse is true in the US. In practice, it’s simply worth being aware of the geographical differences so that you can use the correct form of the word in your writing.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/math-or-maths...

P.S. Is anybody upset?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46315 Apr 28, 2014
Hey now wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just going to move my beach chair back 4 inches every 25 years. lol
Climate warming does not force sea-level rise (SLR) at the same rate everywhere. Rather, there are spatial variations of SLR superimposed on a global average rise.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n12...

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#46316 Apr 28, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who will survive? The ones who cooperate with each other. The macho gun toting individualists will not be welcome. Responsibility goes further than wrapping yourself in the flag and spreading hate to those who do not believe like you do. You got where you are on the shoulders of those who paved the way. No man is an island.
You're good at the liberal mantras. Time to sing Koombaya and redistribute the wealth!
Those that paved the way did so because they wanted to. Not because they were made to. That's the difference you forget about.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Suffolk, VA

#46317 Apr 28, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
With all the evidence, deniers are either liars or stupid.
Take your pick, boys. Which are you?
WHAT EVIDENCE?
Fairy tales that contradict simple laws of physics say you are the liars you flat earthers!

“Sharia, NOT!”

Suffolk, VA

#46318 Apr 28, 2014
SpaceBalls wrote:
<quoted text>Climate warming does not force sea-level rise (SLR) at the same rate everywhere. Rather, there are spatial variations of SLR superimposed on a global average rise.
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n12...
No rise in sea level on the left coasts. Why? Because there is no continental shelf on that side. Duh!
Ever hear of erosion? Most of us were aught it in 5th grade. Maybe your school focused on play doo to much?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#46319 Apr 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
You are out of your mind, if you had any!
I don't diagnose people who disagree with my opinions.

SpaceBlues wrote:
Have you not heard of global sea level rise? You think global warming is caused by polticians' hot air! WOW..
There's as much experimental evidence global sea level rise is caused by politician's hot air as man made greenhouse gas emissions.

SpaceBlues wrote:
[QUOTE who="SpaceBlues"]You r "decarbonization" comment comes from your dirty pocket.. thus it is not based on science.
Burning fossil fuel isn't "decarbonization", nuclear fission in our Earth's core breaks down radioactive elements into new carbon. Burning fossil fuel means freeing carbon into the air, back to benefit life.

SpaceBlues wrote:
http://images.nationalgeograph ic.com/wpf/media-content/photo s/000/779/cache/77962_990x742- cb1395683156.jpg
????
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46321 Apr 28, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I don't diagnose people who disagree with my opinions.
<quoted text>There's as much experimental evidence global sea level rise is caused by politician's hot air as man made greenhouse gas emissions.
<quoted text>Burning fossil fuel isn't "decarbonization", nuclear fission in our Earth's core breaks down radioactive elements into new carbon. Burning fossil fuel means freeing carbon into the air, back to benefit life.
<quoted text>????
Because you've repeated the previous, my diagnosis remains valid.

Freeing carbon, wow...

The link was for a bird dead on arrival at an oil spill site.. remember all the ones you must have seen all your life..
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46322 Apr 28, 2014
Full Definition of DECARBONIZATION
: the process of decarbonizing

Definition of DECARBONIZE
: to remove carbon from

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#46323 Apr 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
The link was for a bird dead on arrival.....
what? litesong has a blog now?
DDDD-25

Corona, CA

#46325 Apr 28, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol.
"We" being what?
The Topix crackpot internet old fools conspiracy theorists club.
Every scientific academy on the planet has looked at the evidence and said AGW is real.
We, being the majority. Every scientific academy on the planet is dependent upon some level of govt funding. And every govt (almost), on the planet is dependent upon tax revenue , heaped upon the becks of the populace. You believe politicos, you really are incredibly stupid, a gullible moron. Think about it. Can you think of anything in your short and ignorant life , that the govt has done , that does not fall in to the category of abject failure? Be honest,(at least to yourself), everything they touch, they destroy. God almighty, just look at what these morons have done to health care. If that don't scare you, you should join the marine corps infantry division. Why do so many of them have law degrees? Simple. They are that sliver of society that will do ANYTHING for money and power. ANYTHING. They know they will spend their live engaged in nefarious activities that will enrage the masses, so they wish to be protected. Then they use the law to screw you some more. And they intentionally provoke division to keep your mind off of what they are doing, to distract you. Moron. It's easy to see you are brainwashed and /or ignorant of reality.
DDDD-25

Corona, CA

#46327 Apr 28, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is criticising Einstein, the point was his theory was correct. In fact some of his theories have only been proven in the past 10 yrs so science has always been an on going work.
The reason you don't want to believe in the climate change theory is because you don't want it to be true, simple as that. There is no other convincing reason, all the other stuff is just deniers smoke screens that your lot put up. But it's nothing to do with science.
The reason I disbelieve is that your "science" has already been exposed as rank fraud. You stand convicted by the emails of your own lead scientist. It is mental midgets such as yourself that live behind a smoke screen. It is one big tax scam. Never mind that it hurts the poor more than any other group of people.(all over the planet). But again I will point out,.... YOU DONT CARE, DO YOU? You just have to feed your superhero fantasy. Hey Mom, I'm home! Today we saved the planet!! Are you proud of me Mommy? I so need to feel that you are proud of me Mommy!!!! You are like the rest. Pathetic.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46330 Apr 28, 2014
Los Angeles

Fullerton, CA

#46331 Apr 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You won't last long.. how come you know no maths?
Koo koo
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46332 Apr 28, 2014
Los Angeles wrote:
<quoted text>
Koo koo
Kanga roo
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#46333 Apr 28, 2014
DDDD-25 wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I disbelieve is that your "science" has already been exposed as rank fraud. You stand convicted by the emails of your own lead scientist. It is mental midgets such as yourself that live behind a smoke screen. It is one big tax scam. Never mind that it hurts the poor more than any other group of people.(all over the planet). But again I will point out,.... YOU DONT CARE, DO YOU? You just have to feed your superhero fantasy. Hey Mom, I'm home! Today we saved the planet!! Are you proud of me Mommy? I so need to feel that you are proud of me Mommy!!!! You are like the rest. Pathetic.
Learn something new..

Prof Tom Trull (ACE CRC) discusses his work as a chemist and researcher studying the carbon cycle and the ability of the Southern Ocean to absorb human-induced carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

http://vimeo.com/25222681

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#46334 Apr 28, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn something new..
Prof Tom Trull (ACE CRC) discusses his work as a chemist and researcher studying the carbon cycle and the ability of the Southern Ocean to absorb human-induced carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
http://vimeo.com/25222681
and......????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Rodney Soetoro 1,761,106
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Chicagoan by Birth 243,471
Trump is A (Oct '17) 3 hr Chilli J 769
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr honeymylove 12,321
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 3 hr honeymylove 2,615
President Donald Trump 3 hr Is the Great 1 6
REPENT SCIOTA ILL REPENT JESUS CHRIST FOREVER ... 6 hr REPENT 1

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages