Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63619 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#45895 Apr 14, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>from what?? YOU????
LOL
Yes, from me.
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Er... but the science actually predicted decreasing cyclone numbers:
5.9.1 Tropical cyclones
Similar to studies for other basins, Australian region studies indicate a likely increase in the proportion of the tropical cyclones in the more intense categories, but a possible decrease in the total number of cyclones.
Since that time there has been a growing number of studies using results from medium and high resolution global climate models. The results from these studies indicate a consistent signal of fewer tropical cyclones globally in a warmer climate (Knutson et al 2006)
http://climatechangeinaustralia.gov.au/docume...
No response.
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Well this was untrue: if it's not a wilful attempt to deceive, you'll no doubt want to concede that it is untrue.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No response.
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Leaving a falsehood uncorrected is a wilful attempt to deceive.
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Granted the original blog post was based on ignorance of climate science, it is still a falsehood, and leaving a falsehood uncorrected is a wilful attempt to deceive.
No response.
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
A perfect example of how denial works: quote some science that seems to support you case as an excuse, and don't worry if your interpretation of the science is proven to be a falsehood: denial is about flinging shit and seeing how much sticks, not about honesty.
No response.

"the green troll"

#45896 Apr 14, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>perhaps you can provide the evidence that 'warming science' is settled. rarely is science ever settled!!! especially if no scientific experiments have ever been conducted to prove a theory. but, you're a self proclaimed genius!!! after all, you claim to be smarter than everyone even though you've never shown that to be possible. but.....i'll throw you a bone! try to give yourself and your opinions some cred.....if you can, charlie.
we will be here....punk.
At least brian will be pleased somebody was dumb enough to be infected by his "experiment" meme!

"the green troll"

#45897 Apr 14, 2014
charles in charge wrote:
FYI....Mothra is a pompous troll who continually attacks settled warming science with pronouncements, claims, childish insults, and dismissals. It's an old tactic, used often by people without any evidence to support their claims or any convincing counter-arguments against people who are in the right.
Mothra is, IOW, a troll. Not worth dealing with, just laughing at.
mothballs likes to rubbish science and scientists, but he's too ignorant to understand the science he rubbishes, too lazy to rectify that ignorance, and too dishonest to retract comments that prove to be a lie.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45898 Apr 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone maintaining the idea of "settled science" regarding global warming demonstrates their lack of understanding of the goals of science.
When will you give up that anti-science ideology and allow honest debate to occur?
You are firing blanks as always, climate research has been going on now for over 25 yrs and the results are still the same only with a lot more evidence than what was claimed in the late 80's. Now you would love for your debate to go on and on, but the debate was over 15 yrs ago. YOU LOST! all deniers do now is try and bring in circular arguments that have already been discounted. Climate change is here, we caused it and your ignorance is just willful. You choose not to accept because it suits your political bent to do so. It's no different than a child who has just learn't Santa doesn't exist. It's disapointing but such is Life!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#45899 Apr 14, 2014
More than 25 years without even one single experimental test of climate change mitigation; that's why its a hoax and man made catastrophic global warming is pseudoscience.
litesong

Everett, WA

#45900 Apr 14, 2014
ratdownthemiddledownwronggully wrote:
no conflict.....
Here's the conflicting statements, "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" denied twice by silence, then said were typos(but weren't), & now, on its fourth day of denial, says that the statements don't even conflict:

ratdownthemiddledownwronggully gushed:
It(astronomy) isn't even allowed as a physics credit at many Med Schools.

A quote of "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" from another post.
"at many institutions astronomy is even accepted as a required physics related course".
//////////
"ratdownthemiddledownwrog gully" is so confused by its subject changes, erroneous diversions & accusations, & argument losses, that it changes its mind....... no, that can't be.

"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" is STILL related to "lyin' brian" & dirtling, both who have no brains.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45901 Apr 14, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the conflicting statements, "ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" denied twice by silence, then said were typos(but weren't), & now, on its fourth day of denial, says that the statements don't even conflict:
"at many institutions astronomy is even accepted as a required physics related course".
//////////
"ratdownthemiddledownwrog gully" is so confused by its subject changes, erroneous diversions & accusations, & argument losses, that it changes its mind....... no, that can't be.
"ratdownthemiddledownwron ggully" is STILL related to "lyin' brian" & dirtling, both who have no brains.
still beating your chest over my my typo, huh, retard???
or.....is it your lack of comprehension?

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45902 Apr 14, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
At least brian will be pleased somebody was dumb enough to be infected by his "experiment" meme!
what's dumb about the scientific method?

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45903 Apr 14, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"at many institutions astronomy isn't even accepted as a required physics related course".
//////////
where is the conflict???
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45904 Apr 14, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>... deniers ...
Deniers?

You just can't have an adult conversation, can you?
litesong

Everett, WA

#45905 Apr 14, 2014
motheaten wrote:
Here's an interesting post by a "litesong" of Everett, WA bragging about killing starlings with his "excellent pellet gun" -- sort of -- he ended up stabbing it in the chest with "with my sharp Shrade blade, nearly the width of his chest, plunged it into his chest & backbone".
He had to stab it twice.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/how-...
Are you that same litesong?
Ah...... you have a starling infestation, too? Thought you'd see some of my posts in past topix threads. Yeah, the German pellet rifles are supreme, especially their Olympic calibers.......177 bore, of course. Yet, even with such, the starling is the toughest & most tenacious of birds for its size, needing the newest & most powerful German rifles to assure their dispatch. Their toughness is one of the reasons for its swarming coverage over almost all of North America & the stress & reduced populations to native birds. Robins & black birds, at least in the Pacific Northwest, seem able to fend off multi-millions of starlings. Looking at a black bird closely with an excellent spotting scope, its beak is pin-point sharp, like a rapier. Even the tough starling has to fly away from the swordmanship(beak-manship) of the black bird. Thank you for finding my post interesting.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45906 Apr 14, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, from me.
<quoted text>
No response.
<quoted text>
No response.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No response.
<quoted text>
No response.
"Er... but the science actually predicted decreasing cyclone numbers:"

That's your quibble?

You cite a study that agrees with one I cite, albeit with the addition of storm intensity increasing, and that's a "lie"?

Quit whining.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45907 Apr 14, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah...... you have a starling infestation, too? Thought you'd see some of my posts in past topix threads. Yeah, the German pellet rifles are supreme, especially their Olympic calibers.......177 bore, of course. Yet, even with such, the starling is the toughest & most tenacious of birds for its size, needing the newest & most powerful German rifles to assure their dispatch. Their toughness is one of the reasons for its swarming coverage over almost all of North America & the stress & reduced populations to native birds. Robins & black birds, at least in the Pacific Northwest, seem able to fend off multi-millions of starlings. Looking at a black bird closely with an excellent spotting scope, its beak is pin-point sharp, like a rapier. Even the tough starling has to fly away from the swordmanship(beak-manship) of the black bird. Thank you for finding my post interesting.
Actually, the 'interesting' part was you bragging on your killings... and that you confirmed using the same handle on at least one other board.

btw, congrats on a coherent post.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45909 Apr 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the 'interesting' part was you bragging on your killings... and that you confirmed using the same handle on at least one other board.
btw, congrats on a coherent post.
what was sad is that litethong shot and killed the skunk with his 9mm. the poor little animal probably confused litethong's yellow stripe for a white one......and only came in to mate!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45910 Apr 14, 2014
as for the birds.....what kind of grown man goes out and shoots innocent girds with a pellet gun and them stabs them with a knife?

cuckoo cuckoo

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45911 Apr 14, 2014
birds....not girds, liteyear!!!! i know how easily confused you get!!

lol

"the green troll"

#45912 Apr 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"Er... but the science actually predicted decreasing cyclone numbers:"
That's your quibble?
You cite a study that agrees with one I cite, albeit with the addition of storm intensity increasing, and that's a "lie"?
Quit whining.
No, you posted a study that agees with model predictions, but claimed it contradicted model predictions (because you made an assumption about model predictions that made an ass out of you).

You've gone from running away to swirming dishonestly. Is that an improvement? I don't know.

"the green troll"

#45913 Apr 14, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>what's dumb about the scientific method?
Nothing.

Just brian's eight year old's interpretation of it.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45914 Apr 14, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you posted a study that agees with model predictions, but claimed it contradicted model predictions (because you made an assumption about model predictions that made an ass out of you).
You've gone from running away to swirming dishonestly. Is that an improvement? I don't know.
Let the snipe fest begin.... not!

Change your handle, "green Chihuahua" is more appropriate.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45915 Apr 14, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing.
Just brian's eight year old's interpretation of it.
if hurricanes increase in numbers....proof of agw.
if hurricanes decrease in numbers.....proof of agw.
if hurricanes remain about average.....proof of agw.

only an irrational faith based believer in agw wouldn't question this pseudoscience.

i guess the science is settled IF ANY possible change is proof of your misguided claims, huh?

if you "fix" the science to where nothing can happen that will prove your claim false.....how do you know you're ever correct?

even an eighth grade student should/could ask these questions. problem with your crowd.....nobody ever offers a response.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Injudgement 1,536,251
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Justice Dale 240,940
News Chicago's population decline continues for the ... 22 hr Cheech the Conser... 4
News Thaddeus S. "Ted" Lechowicz, 1938-2009: Cook Co... (Jan '09) Sat Jackson Browne 2
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... Sat Earl 54
An EF-5 tornado would knock the Willis Tower ri... Sat Storm guy 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) Fri Comrades 105,189

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages