Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63620 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45732 Apr 10, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. No medical doctor would ever, in any conceivable scenario, be interested in astronomy......just like doctors are never interested in mountain climbing. Once a doctor, always a doctor, & don' worra 'bout the rest.
i know i'm right! i know you're wrong AGAIN, too. why would you assume some MD's wouldn't be interested in astronomy?
you claimed that they needed it to earn a degree, dummy. at many institutions astronomy is even accepted as a required physics related course.

come on.....tell us.....how uneducated you actually are.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45733 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Trolls like mothra and ritedownthemiddle want reality to conform with their simple minded world view, and they are enraged by anybody who points out that it doesn't and try to bully them into shutting up. This is the internet where they can only be inadequate psychopaths, but it's little surptise they tacitly approve posts threatening real violence, because in real life I have no doubt they are the thugs their frustrated aggression here suggests they are.
you don't have doubts about climate change either even though most of your views are unsubstantiated. how can you substantiate your claims about a total stranger?
if an opinionated kook like you or litethong would've been a juror in 12 angry men.......the jury would still be hung!! you're like lee j cobb, son!! you have a RIGHT to your opinion....you don't care what the evidence shows or doesn't.

lol

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45734 Apr 10, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree, even when a post is logical and makes sense, simple minds try to deal with it ignoring all complications that is a modern world. It goes across all issues from gun control, health care to climate. It's never the government looking for the best outcome for the majority, its all about taking away our personal freedom.
1. conceal carry lowers crimes and murders everywhere it's enacted. it is our 2nd amendment right to own guns. who are you to say otherwise? what if i used the obscene rants from many in your crowd to argue against the 1st?

2. climate change is an untested theory. no GHG mitigation in the world will alter climate. we are humans not gods. show me a test revealing what co2 mitigation will accomplish, please, before calling people on the other side blind to the issues! OKAY?

3. i don't publicly oppose obama care. it's the law! the best thing to do about bad laws is let them fail on there own! litethong would probably agree since he doesn't like that EPA enacted ethanol law too much.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45735 Apr 10, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
And your credibility takes another hit.
You defend the 'stinking, piddling, diddling vile reprobate, ecetera' babbling of litesong, and accuse others of being bullying trolls?
Warmists are such phonies.
Well said!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45736 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
You criticise a post pointing out how vile another post is, but don't object to the vile post itself?
It's you who is disgusting, and a troll.
long may Litesong shine a light on your lack of humanity.
so....'dem' aka 'slash' is a choir boy in your book. at least i've never seen you object to those posts, HYPOCRITE.

litethong is an idiot who lives in a dark six sided box where no light escapes. you aren't far ahead of litethong, agnes.
Blonde coed

Corona Del Mar, CA

#45737 Apr 10, 2014
Some very pleasant weather throughout most of the world today, especially the US. A bit of rain and thunderstorms around the Great Lakes, but that's not unusual.

All looks well. Be cheery!
Blonde coed

Corona Del Mar, CA

#45738 Apr 10, 2014
Also, I'll go to the beach today to check on the water levels.

But it is so difficult to measure the water level because the water is always sloshing around. It won't hold still.

Farmington, MO

#45739 Apr 10, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>Glad you didn't read the articles. Proves you had no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in a poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.
I have science and knowledge I have a degree. I'm well aware of what's going on, I don't really waist my on this topic. I focus more on topics like fluoride, and topics on the police state and fusions camps.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#45740 Apr 10, 2014
Mothra wrote:
New Paper Corroborates the Solar-Cosmic Ray Theory of Climate
A paper published today in Environmental Research Letters corroborates the Svensmark cosmic ray theory of climate, whereby tiny 0.1% changes in solar activity are amplified via the effect on cosmic rays and cloud formation, which in turn may control global temperatures. The authors find cosmic ray variations due to changes over solar cycles may have as much as 10 times larger effect than previous studies have estimated. The paper also finds that a tiny 0.2C temperature increase increases the cosmic ray induced cloud condensation nuclei by around 50%, thus acting as a natural homeostatic mechanism.
According to the authors, "The effect of solar cycle perturbation on [cloud condensation nuclei] based on present study is generally higher than those reported in several previous studies, up to around one order of magnitude [10 times]...Our global simulations indicate that a decrease in ionization rate associated with galactic cosmic ray flux change from solar minimum to solar maximum reduces annual mean nucleation rates, number concentration of cloud condensation nuclei larger than 10 nm... by 6.8%, 1.36%...respectively. The inclusion of 0.2&#8201;°C temperature increase enhances the CCN [cloud condensation nuclei] solar cycle signals by around 50%."
As pointed out by Dr. Roy Spencer,
"The most obvious way for warming to be caused naturally is for small, natural fluctuations in the circulation patterns of the atmosphere and ocean to result in a 1% or 2% decrease in global cloud cover. Clouds are the Earth’s sunshade, and if cloud cover changes for any reason, you have global warming — or global cooling."
This new paper finds annual mean cloud nucleation rates may vary 6.8% over solar cycles, far more than the 1-2% change in global cloudiness required to change global temperature.
The solar-cosmic ray theory of climate is only one of many solar amplification mechanisms described in the scientific literature.
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2014/04/new...
For the slow readers, if solar rays control climate then it's a natural phenomena, and the 'CO2 end of the world industry' collapses.
Deniers are very bad at reading science papers:

"Foukal et al (2006) showed that a TSI variation of at least 3 times larger is required to produce a climate variation of the amplitude suggested by the seventeenth century cooling (Little Ice Age, when the mean temperature was colder by 1&#8201;°C). Detailed fits of global and hemispherical temperatures since the mid-19th century with empirical models involving the enhanced greenhouse effect and solar variability require an amplification of irradiance effect by a factor of >2.5 to quantitatively explain the observed global temperature change (e.g., Kelly and Wigley 1992, Lockwood 2001). The necessity of amplifying TSI variation by a factor of around 3 to explain the amplitude of the 11-year solar signature on the temperature record has also been noted (Douglass and Clader 2002, Scafetta and West 2006)."

This new paper only explains temperature change that is already attributed to the sun.

It doesn't attempt to attribute global warming to the sun.

"the green troll"

#45741 Apr 10, 2014
Mothra wrote:
New paper finds climate skeptical blogosphere is important source of expertise, reinterpretation, & scientific knowledge production
"Traditional frameworks of scientific knowledge production limited its creation to official spaces such as universities, and as the do main of those who were formally qualified as arbiters of knowledge by virtue of their academic credentials (Martin and Richards 1995). These actors, closely networked wi thin small epistemic communities of practice, were perceived as creating scientific knowledge that was ‘objective and context-free’(Wynne 1992: 282), with a clear distinction between the legitimacy of the knowledge created by the scientist and the ‘man-in-the-street’[sic](Merto n 1973:277). Contemporary interpretations of knowledge production challenged these frameworks, with theories such as Mode-2 knowledge production or post-normal science explaining that knowledge is created across multiple sites and by multiple actors (Funtowicz and Ravetz 1993; Gibbons et al. 1 994; Nowotny et al. 2003). Crompton (2007) explains that these new knowledge networks involve the public speaking back to science, creating new public arenas (“agoras”) where scientific information is contested to make it more socially robust."

This is the sociologist's "post normal" knowledge production, aka my ignorance is as good as your knowledge.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#45742 Apr 10, 2014
litesong wrote:
... In truth, Arctic AGW energy enhanced warm fronts can force Arctic cold to the south much further. Arctic cold pushes to the southern U.S., to Mexico, & even to Central America! At other times, Arctic cold has been sent to southern China & even into India, or to Iran, Iraq, & even Northern Africa, where snow falls.
Arctic cold likes to vacation in the tropics, just like the rest of us. What's not to love about global warming?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45743 Apr 10, 2014
DDDD-25 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think politicos have your best interest in mind when they make decisions that effect yours and all others lives, then it is you who has a simple mind. All climate change really is, is an attempt to hoist another tax burden on to the backs of the real heroes of the world , and those people are the taxpayers and the people specifically who run business, without them you ALL starve to death. And the people most adversely effected are the poorest among us, the ones who do the physical labor and get the least pay, The ones who go to bed at night hungry, the ones who can't afford health care insurance or a new highly efficient car. The working poor. But you don't give a rats azz, do you. Superman must save the world. Moron.
Politics tends to serve money for the most part and that is because of the systems of government. Lobby groups are funded by big business so they influence policy, just like they influence you pretending to be your spokeperson. Saving you from that dreaded tax burden which in reality ends up those big businesses paying a lot less than you as a percentage.
If you think that is clever, well i guess it is. After all it makes you believe the best deal you can get is by the government taking less of your income rather than being able to charge more for your services. Now with climate change seen as a threatening cost burden to those traditional businesses where they don't factor it into their business model. Well once again they have you guys as their spokeperson, after all your share of that cost burden will be peanuts compared to theirs and all they have to put out there is "government" & "freedom" and simple thinking does the rest.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45744 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Green troll say what?

Meh... don't care.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45745 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Green troll flapping lips again?

Still.... don't care.

"the green troll"

#45746 Apr 10, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Green troll say what?
Meh... don't care.
Fair Game talks science: mothballs runs away.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45747 Apr 10, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Politics tends to serve money...
... and money serves the warmists who serve the agenda of "settled science", which of course is a bastardization of science itself.

"the green troll"

#45748 Apr 10, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Green troll flapping lips again?
Still.... don't care.
Fair Game talks epistemology: mothballs runs away.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45749 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Green troll says what?

Aww.... nothing of importance.
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45750 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair Game talks ...
... bullshyt.

Yup, agreed.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45751 Apr 10, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair Game talks epistemology: mothballs runs away.
lol.....you talk about knowledge of philosophy, you talk about knowledge of psychology, you talk about knowledge of astronomy, you talk about knowledge of 'climatology'. maybe you should narrow your scope and relay what you actually know, son.

so far.....you've just spouted opinions and googled terms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Susanm 1,520,284
Adulttoyfunshop.com 9 min Peter Dragon 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Kid Rocker Panel 240,283
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 8 hr They cannot kill ... 5
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr SweLL GirL 10,562
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr Rose of Tralee 105,128
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 12 hr Lavon affair 71,283

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages