Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,032
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#45305 Apr 1, 2014
Professor wrote:
CO2, despite being a minor element of the Earth’s atmosphere, is essential for all life on Earth because it is the food that nourishes all vegetation. The Earth has passed through many periods of high levels of CO2 and many cycles of warming and cooling that are part of the life of the planet.
“Science works by creating theories based on assumptions,” Dr. Ball notes,“then other scientists—performing their skeptical role—test them. The structure and mandate of the IPCC was in direct contradiction of this scientific method. They set out to prove the theory rather than disprove it.”
“The atmosphere,” Dr. Ball notes,“is three-dimensional and dynamic, so building a computer model that even approximates reality requires far more data than exists and much greater understanding of an extremely turbulent and complex system.” No computer model put forth by the IPCC in support of global warming has been accurate, nor ever could be.
Most of the reports were created by a small group of men working within the Climate Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia and all were members of the IPCC. The result was “a totally false picture supposedly based on science.”
What else can one expect from a retired geography professor tied to the oil industry?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#45306 Apr 1, 2014
No species has ever been driven extinct by man made climate change and no species has evolved the ability to mitigate climate change either.

That's why climate change mitigation is a hoax and man made catastrophic climate change is pseudoscience.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#45307 Apr 1, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]No species has ever been driven extinct by man made climate change [/QUOTE]

"lyin' brian" has made errors of 1 million TIMES, 1000 TIMES, 3000 TIMES, 73 million TIMES, & 2.5 trillion TIMES. "lyin' brian" has no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly earned, but proudly held hi skule DEE-ploooma.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#45308 Apr 1, 2014
false farts wrote:
The IPCC's Latest Report Deliberately Excludes And Misrepresents Important Climate Science:
Just Joseph Bast filling webs with its most inaccurate, anti-science pro-oil, energy & re-pubic-lick-un toxicity. "false farts" quotes a paper shuffler to counter science.

"false farts" earns its name, "false farts".
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#45309 Apr 1, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, the fact that this is written by people with their back pockets full of cash from the fossil fuel industry makes me doubt this assessment of the science, let's have a look at the science they cite.
Thanks... just wanted to get a warmist to admit that funding from fossil fuel companies doesn't discount science.

d'Oh!
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#45310 Apr 1, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What else can one expect from a retired geography professor tied to the oil industry?
As usual we expect no rational argument from you... and you deliver.

btw, your warmist bud above just vindicated oil industry funding.

d'Oh!
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#45311 Apr 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
It's Tuesday... did you take your meds?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#45312 Apr 1, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
We took the mules.
How did you like the Grand Canyon. I hiked in myself.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#45313 Apr 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Joseph Bast filling webs with its most inaccurate, anti-science pro-oil, energy & re-pubic-lick-un toxicity. "false farts" quotes a paper shuffler to counter science.
"false farts" earns its name, "false farts".
Just shows your immaturity ass hat.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#45314 Apr 1, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks... just wanted to get a warmist to admit that funding from fossil fuel companies doesn't discount science.
d'Oh!
No one will notice you dodged any discussion of the science, will they?

Or made any attempt to defend the obvious flaws.

Keep you virginity as far as actually talking about the science. Wise move. If you tried to talk about the science, you'd just demonstrate you utter inability to spot good from bad.

Keeping your virginity, you keep you excuse: there were some science that said global warming wasn't a threat.

Acknowledge that somebody pointed out to you that that science is junk and you can't use the excuse.

So walk away quietly.

With a trolling remark you think will be a distraction.

"the green troll"

#45315 Apr 1, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think I've ever seen a rational argument from you- just the stupid conspiracy theory, lots of vacuous trolling and some cut'n pasting.

"the green troll"

#45316 Apr 1, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
No species has ever been driven extinct by man made climate change.
• EXTINCT: Golden toad (Bufo periglenes). Along with the Monteverde harlequin frog (Atelopus varius), also of Central America, the golden toad is among the very small number of species whose recent extinction has been attributed with medium confidence to climate change, according to Scholes and Pörtner. Last seen in 1989, the golden frog lived in mountaintop cloud forests that have disappeared due to drought and other climatic changes. Other confounding factors are involved, such as the deadly chytrid fungus, which has killed off many amphibians worldwide.(See: "Photos: Ten Most Wanted 'Extinct' Amphibians.")

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/...
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#45317 Apr 1, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
No one will notice you dodged any discussion of the science, will they?
Or made any attempt to defend the obvious flaws.
Keep you virginity as far as actually talking about the science. Wise move. If you tried to talk about the science, you'd just demonstrate you utter inability to spot good from bad.
Keeping your virginity, you keep you excuse: there were some science that said global warming wasn't a threat.
Acknowledge that somebody pointed out to you that that science is junk and you can't use the excuse.
So walk away quietly.
With a trolling remark you think will be a distraction.
Let's not attempt to sleight the big admission you made. That's big news.

No longer will the vapid "oil company funded" science argument be valid.

This is the first big step in what's been a long, and tedious process of getting warmists to act like adults. I'm curios to see how the other warmists respond.... will they grow out of their puerile "evil fossil fuel" company knee-jerk reactionary whining, or will they accept your adult argument?

I believe I've achieved a milestone here, so I'm just going to enjoy it for a bit.

And as for your childish taunts... well, adult conversation is a process. Congrats on your first step..
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#45318 Apr 1, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think I've ever seen a rational argument from you- just the stupid conspiracy theory, lots of vacuous trolling and some cut'n pasting.
See my previous post.

LOL

"the green troll"

#45319 Apr 1, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not attempt to sleight the big admission you made. That's big news.
<snip>
Troll- ignored.

"the green troll"

#45320 Apr 1, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
See my previous post.
LOL
http://www.motherjones.com/files/Figure%201.p...

LOL

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#45321 Apr 1, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
btw, your warmist bud above just vindicated oil industry funding.
d'Oh!
I am resting from outside work so I guess I can waste a little time, because it is understood by all that you allow no facts to interfere with your denial. There is question that increasing CO2 concentrations will improve crop yields.

The effect of elevated carbon dioxide on crop yields is very uncertain. While there may be a fertilization effect, other limiting parameters come into play. Carbon is but one nutrient that plants need, nitrogen, water, and other nutrients are needed and any of them can limit the growth of plants. Increasing only one when others are limited will not significantly increase growth. Also as the Earth warms, water evaporates faster and productive farm land may be affected by drought. It is well documented that heat waves directly affect crops with a decrease in production.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/11127399...
http://phys.org/news/2012-11-carbon-dioxide-c...
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cli...
http://phys.org/news/2013-03-global-affects-c...

There is no good evidence that a warming Earth will cause an increase in crop production. Also crops like coffee which need a very specific ecology may indeed be unduly stressed by changing temperatures. This is simply more propaganda by the denial industry to deflect the public from accepted scientific findings.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#45322 Apr 1, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
• EXTINCT: Golden toad (Bufo periglenes). Along with the Monteverde harlequin frog (Atelopus varius), also of Central America, the golden toad is among the very small number of species whose recent extinction has been attributed with medium confidence to climate change, according to Scholes and Pörtner. Last seen in 1989, the golden frog lived in mountaintop cloud forests that have disappeared due to drought and other climatic changes. Other confounding factors are involved, such as the deadly chytrid fungus, which has killed off many amphibians worldwide.(See: "Photos: Ten Most Wanted 'Extinct' Amphibians.")
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/...
^^^This proves the pseudoscience, animals have been hunted to extinction before, that's not AGW. These Golden toads are rare because their coloration makes them valuable. If you can't find them in Central America, try eBay. They were hunted to extinction by man, not killed by catastrophic man made climate change.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45323 Apr 1, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
While warmists routinely cite "funding sources" as a favorite debunking tool against skeptics, when you're faced with the same argument it becomes a non-issue?
It's so much fun to turn warmists own standards back on them.
Well lets take Fred Singer, a favourite with "true lies" who gets his pay checks from the Heartland institute sponsored by the Koch bros & Exxon. This guy might have degrees but he sold his soul for money, I mean he even worked for Phillip Morris in the early 90's trying to debunk the dangers of tobacco smoke. So sure we would all take notice of what he says as being the "scientific truth"

As it stands there is not ONE thing, not ONE post that is other than a personal opinion. There is no science with your lot, just parroting BS from right wing media. How you feel no shame is beyond me, it's like trying to convince us black is white.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#45324 Apr 1, 2014
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/20/us-...

U.S. billionaire to pour $100 million into climate change fight
BY VALERIE VOLCOVICI
WASHINGTON Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10pm EST

Billionaire Tom Steyer on Wednesday night hosted Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada and six other Democratic lawmakers for a fundraiser at his San Francisco home and is planning an ad campaign for candidates who support tough action on climate change.

Steyer, founder of the hedge fund Farallon Capital, plans to spend $50 million of his own money and raise another $50 million from other donors for the November midterm elections.

His aim is to serve as a political counterweight to the conservative billionaire Koch brothers, who have already spent $30 million so far this year on attack ads targeting vulnerable Democratic senators who have supported the healthcare reform law popularly known as Obamacare.

Steyer hosted Reid and some of Congress' most active climate change advocates: Senators Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, Ben Cardin of Maryland, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, Tom Udall of New Mexico, and Representative Gary Peters of Michigan, according to a source who attended the dinner and who spoke on condition of anonymity....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Mighty Righty 1,115,362
Amy 10-1 7 min Mister Tonka 9
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 9 min HughBe 69,535
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min LRS 178,608
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 14 min Toj 98,364
Feel-good news is made near Ferguson 31 min reality is a crutch 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 52 min Always Smile 4,050

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]