Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63946 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#45269 Mar 31, 2014
litesong wrote:
Arctic AGW enhanced weather would disappear & return to lower temperatures. Altho Arctic air fronts would be colder, they could not be forced south, as strongly or as continuously as this past winter.
We would have less drying of our forests, with the forest fire season shortened from its present alarming rates of catastrophic fire potential, even on our normally wetted west sides of mountain ranges.
Our Pacific Northwest mornings would be cooler. Our rivers would have slightly less flow in the winters, & somewhat more flow in late summers, do to changes in seasonal rain & snowfalls, & increasing sizes of year round mountain glaciers. Our very hottest days would be lessened, while a more frequent return to sub-10degF should occur.
The increasing use for a/c in homes & cars should decrease, altho people once used to a/c, would probably not do without such.
[email protected]!!!!

you've got it all figured out in your own private idaho, huh, mullet??

if you think man can alter climate for the better or worse......i got some beautiful coastline property i'd like to sell you at a great deal!!!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45270 Mar 31, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Go to a boat marina that will sell gas for your car.
don't need to....i have a tank that gets filled every month,

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45271 Mar 31, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bunch of propaganda
that's all alarmism ever was....

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45272 Mar 31, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Somewhere I read litesong bragging about that he's driven his car over 400,000 miles.
400,000? Gee... whole lotta CO2 cuz he wants to travel, take pictures and live his own life exploring his own interests. If I find it again, I'll post it.
Warmists have so many hypocrites. Seems ol' Spaceballs has wandered off to another thread. Guess it got to 'hot' for him here, and so he's gone off to pollute other forums with his mindless hypocrisy.
btw,... litesong's rants against you aren't original. He's been posting the same smears for years.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...
LOL
wow.....what a pathetic life. every breath from litethong is a hypocritical exhale of co2 and bullchyt

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45273 Mar 31, 2014
hey, litesong, you're still the worst of the worst.....you little anti E10 hypocrite.

go apply for a job at your local tv station and tell them you'll make more accurate weather forecasts based on our knowledge of man made co2 emissions.

they'll laugh you out of the studio, photo punk.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45274 Mar 31, 2014
what ever happened to good things coming out of the seattle area....like starbucks and pearl jam???

nothing now but spoiled little brats telling the world they know everything when they know NOTHING but liberal marching orders!!

bwaaaahahahhaahhahhaaa

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45275 Mar 31, 2014
MOTHRA.....I thought I had litethong figured out, but you could write a thesis on the pathetic little creature!!!

litesong is a world leader in global warming.....he's full of hot air all day and all night. what a wretch!!

LOL

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#45276 Mar 31, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>....while you keep promoting the 'green'-backers pseudoscience.
So once again, a team of 800 scientists that concluded we are under threat from climate change which we caused is wrong! Why just because you don't want to pay more to drive that big a$$ truck or SUV. I guess the next time your doctor tells you that you need to lose weight or expect some nasty problems with your everyday life. You can just say it's all part of mother nature doing it's thing, it's nothing to do with my lifestyle.

You might want to take a look at some of the other think tank's predictions everything from wars to food shortages. I wonder what Rush and his dinosaur followers are planning to do about it.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/foo...
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45278 Mar 31, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
So once again, a team of 800 scientists that concluded we are under threat from climate change which we caused is wrong! Why just because you don't want to pay more to drive that big a$$ truck or SUV. I guess the next time your doctor tells you that you need to lose weight or expect some nasty problems with your everyday life. You can just say it's all part of mother nature doing it's thing, it's nothing to do with my lifestyle.
You might want to take a look at some of the other think tank's predictions everything from wars to food shortages. I wonder what Rush and his dinosaur followers are planning to do about it.
Your argument seems to be that it's impossible for 800 scientists to be wrong. Would that be every issue of just global warming?

Did you notice the headline.. "may prove"?

So... those same 800 scientists can't even agree that events "will" happen... just that they "may"? That's the definitive proof?

Wow... warm fuzzies for everybody!

Location hidden

#45280 Mar 31, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument seems to be that it's impossible for 800 scientists to be wrong. Would that be every issue of just global warming?
Did you notice the headline.. "may prove"?
So... those same 800 scientists can't even agree that events "will" happen... just that they "may"? That's the definitive proof?
Wow... warm fuzzies for everybody!
Those same scientists will tell you that you MAY get cancer if you smoke a 100 cigarettes a day, not WILL get cancer or it's DEFINITE only that your risk will increase 100 fold by doing exactly that. Same as over exposure to the sun, you MAY get skin cancer. Yet what you deniers preach that "MAY" is enough to ignore all warnings. Even a house brick would have more sense.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45281 Mar 31, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
how many of those 800 earn a living based on govt. grants?

i know what makes my weight go up! i either have been exercising less or eating more.
the change in climate isn't nearly that finite! blaming a tornado or a drought on man made co2 is like claiming i gained 10 pounds in one week because i ate a piece of salt water taffy last month.

pray for co2 to provide us with more food to feed the planet. without it....we'd already be pushing up daisies.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45282 Mar 31, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Those same scientists will tell you that you MAY get cancer if you smoke a 100 cigarettes a day, not WILL get cancer or it's DEFINITE only that your risk will increase 100 fold by doing exactly that. Same as over exposure to the sun, you MAY get skin cancer. Yet what you deniers preach that "MAY" is enough to ignore all warnings. Even a house brick would have more sense.
your comparative analogies of so lame. don't compare climate change to cancer and i won't compare your emotional appeal to witchcraft.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45283 Mar 31, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
So once again, a team of 800 scientists that concluded we are under threat from climate change
more scientists than that agree with a higher degree of certainty that we'll be hit by an asteroid. no one is insisting that we cease our way of life because of it.

your cause is merely political. you have no facts. you have flimsy theories at best.

go eat your mutton.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#45284 Mar 31, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>ULSD is sold here under mandate.....the high sulfur diesel is exported to people willing to take a bargain. this calamity is supposed to be global, right? nobody cares about your canard.....it's like climate change doesn't exist. climate does change....on that we can agree....but man made induced??? come on , son!!
You are talking about 3 - 5 cents per gallon. Terrible economic hardship....:)

Where was the terrible economic calamity removing lead from gasoline? Sulfur from diesel? In 1995 diesel vehicles emitted 43 percent of the smog- and particulate-forming nitrogen oxides and more than two-thirds of the soot. The smog producing problems have been addressed. We still have a particulate matter problem but that is also being addressed.

Just more propaganda from a known troll. It has been found that most trolls suffer from some psychological disorder such as low self-esteem or loneliness. Global warming is real. It is a fact that the globe is warming. It is a fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It is a fact that burning fossil fuels is increasing the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#45285 Mar 31, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's one that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy.Warmer troll!

Climategate 2.0: New E-Mails Rock The Global Warming A new batch of 5,000 emails among scientists central to the assertion that humans are causing a global warming crisis were anonymously released to the public yesterday, igniting a new firestorm of controversy nearly two years to the day after similar emails ignited the Climategate scandal.

Three themes are emerging from the newly released emails:(1) prominent scientists central to the global warming debate are taking measures to conceal rather than disseminate underlying data and discussions; (2) these scientists view global warming as a political “cause” rather than a balanced scientific inquiry and (3) many of these scientists frankly admit to each other that much of the science is weak and dependent on deliberate manipulation of facts and data.

Regarding scientific transparency, a defining characteristic of science is the open sharing of scientific data, theories and procedures so that independent parties, and especially skeptics of a particular theory or hypothesis, can replicate and validate asserted experiments or observations. Emails between Climategate scientists, however, show a concerted effort to hide rather than disseminate underlying evidence and procedures.

“I’ve been told that IPCC is above national FOI [Freedom of Information] Acts. One way to cover yourself and all those working in AR5 would be to delete all emails at the end of the process,”writes Phil Jones, a scientist working with the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), in a newly released email.

“Any work we have done in the past is done on the back of the research grants we get – and has to be well hidden,” Jones writes in another newly released email.“I’ve discussed this with the main funder (U.S. Dept of Energy) in the past and they are happy about not releasing the original station data.”

This is getting fun.Grant money is behind the scam,and that's all this horse crap is about
MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45286 Mar 31, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>how many of those 800 earn a living based on govt. grants?
i know what makes my weight go up! i either have been exercising less or eating more.
the change in climate isn't nearly that finite! blaming a tornado or a drought on man made co2 is like claiming i gained 10 pounds in one week because i ate a piece of salt water taffy last month.
pray for co2 to provide us with more food to feed the planet. without it....we'd already be pushing up daisies.
Speaking of more food...

The new IPCC report claims reducing CO2 emissions will help to provide food security for the future, but the opposite is true. Hundreds of scientific papers prove increased CO2 fertilization markedly increases photosynthetic rates and biomass production of all the world's major crops, in addition to increasing resistance to drought. And there is also the significant body of work that reveals that as the atmosphere's CO2 concentration rises, the various temperatures at which different plants photosynthesize most proficiently rise right along with it.

IPCC decarbonization policies will decrease agricultural production, and lead to more malnourishment and poverty due to higher energy and food prices.

http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2014/03/the...
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#45287 Mar 31, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>your comparative analogies of so lame. don't compare climate change to cancer and i won't compare your emotional appeal to witchcraft.
Thank you.

Oz' treatment of logic is tortuous.

Location hidden

#45288 Mar 31, 2014
Truth Facts wrote:
<quoted text>Here's one that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy.Warmer troll!
This is getting fun.Grant money is behind the scam,and that's all this horse crap is about
MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
A total BS post, all you deniers are empty vessels. It's like trying to communicate with stone age man, he still has to invent the wheel and writes his hunting exploits on cave walls. Your posts are no different, always in denial trying to find loop holes with circular arguments about research grants and the "maybe's" but NO SCIENCE! I have news for you deniers all science is done by research grants whether it's private or government. No sane person would offer money for a doomsday message wtf is wrong with you people apart from being clueless!

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45289 Mar 31, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are talking about 3 - 5 cents per gallon. Terrible economic hardship....:)
Where was the terrible economic calamity removing lead from gasoline? Sulfur from diesel? In 1995 diesel vehicles emitted 43 percent of the smog- and particulate-forming nitrogen oxides and more than two-thirds of the soot. The smog producing problems have been addressed. We still have a particulate matter problem but that is also being addressed.
Just more propaganda from a known troll. It has been found that most trolls suffer from some psychological disorder such as low self-esteem or loneliness. Global warming is real. It is a fact that the globe is warming. It is a fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It is a fact that burning fossil fuels is increasing the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
it's not a fact that man made co2 is doing anything harmful to the climate, lonely boy.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#45290 Mar 31, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of more food...
The new IPCC report claims reducing CO2 emissions will help to provide food security for the future, but the opposite is true. Hundreds of scientific papers prove increased CO2 fertilization markedly increases photosynthetic rates and biomass production of all the world's major crops, in addition to increasing resistance to drought. And there is also the significant body of work that reveals that as the atmosphere's CO2 concentration rises, the various temperatures at which different plants photosynthesize most proficiently rise right along with it.
IPCC decarbonization policies will decrease agricultural production, and lead to more malnourishment and poverty due to higher energy and food prices.
http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2014/03/the...
you can lead an alarmist to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

:-D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min VetnorsGate 1,582,436
News Uber driver accused of locking female rider ins... 12 min the real thomas 123 1
How do people of your city feel about President... 13 min I 2nd THAT 3
Murder rate 1 hr Crazzy 2
TRUTH will be revealed, someday, maybe. 5 hr MuslimsResponsible 43
OVERALL CDST of electric autos. 7 hr MUSK is BiPolar 20
The Party of Racism. 7 hr Its The Democrats 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages