Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,501
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
dem

Chicago, IL

#44866 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like wattatawat actually has it right:
"The American Physical Society, which previously issued a highly alarmist statement regarding climate change, is to review it, and has appointed three climate realists to [address] the panel of six."
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/20/that-no...
The three contrarians have just been invited to give their views to the panel, whereupon the panel, if they have any sense, will recognise the contrarians are wrong on climate science, just as the rest of the scientific community has already.
Are you a regular on this thread? Because I can't imagine these dopes sticking around as you kill them with facts? I'm not naive. I know tea baggers are crazy but this is funny. Birther funny.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44867 Mar 21, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
No, because he quit.
btw......what's your point? oh, you're changing the subject!
Did he jump or was he pushed?

His latest blog post is an example of how he was just too embarrassing for anybody with the slightest contact with reality.

"The American Physical Society (APS) has signalled a dramatic turnabout in its position on "climate change" by appointing three notorious climate skeptics to its panel on public affairs."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/201...

If you trace the story back through a succession of stupid blogs, you find that the "sceptics" were not appointed to the panel, they were just invited to a workshop to express their views, along with other climate scientists.

http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/climate-...
dem

Chicago, IL

#44868 Mar 21, 2014
No wonder rightuptheasshole was begging me to scare off the regular posters. He's getting killed in here.

"the green troll"

#44869 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, Delingpole's new blog seems to be the source for this cut'n paste.
Will it bear scepticism?
As expected: No.

Scepticism is an alien concept to these fools who call themselves "sceptics".
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44870 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like wattatawat actually has it right:
"The American Physical Society, which previously issued a highly alarmist statement regarding climate change, is to review it, and has appointed three climate realists to [address] the panel of six."
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/20/that-no...
The three contrarians have just been invited to give their views to the panel, whereupon the panel, if they have any sense, will recognise the contrarians are wrong on climate science, just as the rest of the scientific community has already.
from the opening remarks:

And the meeting's purpose is to explore through expert presentations and discussion the state of climate science, both the consensus view as expressed by several thousand pages of the IPCC AR5 Working Group 1 report that came out three months ago, but also the views of experts who credibly take significant issue with several aspects of the consensus picture. In doing this, the subcommittee hopes to illuminate the certainties and the gaps in our understanding of the physical basis of climate change for the subcommittee itself, for the APS leadership who are present here as observers, and, througha transcript, for the APS membership and the
broader public.
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/upload/c...

It remains to be seen what the panel presents. Just the same, this is a remarkable first step to an honest and full discussion that's been missing since the science was declared "settled".

btw, notice Dr. Koonin said, "... the views of experts who credibly take significant issue with several aspects of the consensus picture."

"Credibly"... that's really gotta bug you.

"the green troll"

#44871 Mar 21, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a regular on this thread? Because I can't imagine these dopes sticking around as you kill them with facts? I'm not naive. I know tea baggers are crazy but this is funny. Birther funny.
Yep. Post #2 is mine and quite a few since then.

I reckon most of them know what the facts are but are just looking for an excuse.

The "science isn't settled" sounds a lot better than "yeah, I know this is going to be bad for future generations, but I just don't care."

"the green troll"

#44872 Mar 21, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
from the opening remarks:
And the meeting's purpose is to explore through expert presentations and discussion the state of climate science, both the consensus view as expressed by several thousand pages of the IPCC AR5 Working Group 1 report that came out three months ago, but also the views of experts who credibly take significant issue with several aspects of the consensus picture. In doing this, the subcommittee hopes to illuminate the certainties and the gaps in our understanding of the physical basis of climate change for the subcommittee itself, for the APS leadership who are present here as observers, and, througha transcript, for the APS membership and the
broader public.
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/upload/c...
It remains to be seen what the panel presents. Just the same, this is a remarkable first step to an honest and full discussion that's been missing since the science was declared "settled".
btw, notice Dr. Koonin said, "... the views of experts who credibly take significant issue with several aspects of the consensus picture."
"Credibly"... that's really gotta bug you.
Nothing new here: the IPCC itself takes account of *all* the science.

What they don't take into account is the misinformation that Lindzen, Christy and Curry spread outside the scientific community.

And this panel won't either, because it is too well documented that these contrarians' theories have failed to convince the scientific community because the evidence is against them, and their misinformation to politicians and the public is wrong.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/christy-once...

https://www.skepticalscience.com/lindzen-sand...

http://tamino.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/one-of...
dem

Chicago, IL

#44873 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Post #2 is mine and quite a few since then.
I reckon most of them know what the facts are but are just looking for an excuse.
The "science isn't settled" sounds a lot better than "yeah, I know this is going to be bad for future generations, but I just don't care."
You're doing a great job. Rightuptheasshole has been stalking me on other threads so I wanted to mess with him. I see if you have this well in hand without me. I don't wanna spam your thread by fighting with him and his dim witted pals.
Have a nice weekend.
dem

Chicago, IL

#44874 Mar 21, 2014
See ya soon, tea baggers.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44875 Mar 21, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar? You lunkhead. APS reviews it's policy statements every five years.
The American Physical Society formally reviews its statements every five years. In accordance with that process, the APS Panel on Public Affairs (POPA) formed a Subcommittee to review its Climate Change Statement....
As part of the POPA-approved process, on January 8, 2014 the Subcommittee convened a workshop with six climate experts....
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/climate-...
Check the date on your link... November 18, 2007
"If true"?
"I was one of the experts invited to attend the January 8 Workshop. The other invitees were Bill Collins, Ben Santer, Isaac Held, Richard Lindzen, and John Christy."
-- Judith Curry
http://judithcurry.com/2014/02/19/aps-reviews...
The story is about how some skeptics are now part of their process, aka "climate experts".
btw, from JC's post, "Finally, while speaking of the APS, I have an invited presentation at the forthcoming March APS meeting in Denver, Causes and implications of the growing divergence between climate model simulations and observations"
Feel stupid?
You should.
Why respond this way? Because you know you are a LIAR.

Read my posts carefully. Read both of them on this gossip.

I did not reply to you as I ignore you mostly. Why do you take it upon you? Is this your last hope in denial?

Desperate, huh.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44876 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
As expected: No.
Scepticism is an alien concept to these fools who call themselves "sceptics".
Time to put up or shut up for them.

Curry should provide the uncertainties quantitatively. Lindzen and Christie, too.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44877 Mar 21, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Why respond this way? Because you know you are a LIAR.
Read my posts carefully. Read both of them on this gossip.
I did not reply to you as I ignore you mostly. Why do you take it upon you? Is this your last hope in denial?
Desperate, huh.
Goodness...will you ever not be in a snit.

Do run along... adults are talking here.
dem

Gurnee, IL

#44891 Mar 21, 2014
Right now I got litestick in my mouth and spacecadet in my rear!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44894 Mar 22, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Why does it bother you, there's one TV network that's not on the left?
Mothballs brought it up, & all I did was elaborate. As most denier posts in here are usually Fox talking points of the day or week. All of which have been discredited but somehow Fox dusts them off and recycles them. Birther, Benghazi, Obamacare, and of course global warming with the east coast frozen over. All of which tea baggers love to hear even when it's moronic.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#44895 Mar 22, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Three of the biggest climate science misinformers. Three people who are wrong about climate science. Will the APS see through them? To be continued...
Three climate scientists; there is no consensus on how to mitigate climate change because its never been demonstrated.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44897 Mar 22, 2014
From ap.. North Carolina officials said they will now partner with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to pursue joint enforcement actions against Duke for Clean Water Act violations at the Dan River and other sites.

Duke, which serves much of west-central Florida after its merger with Progress Energy in 2012, operates 14 facilities in North Carolina with leaky, unlined coal ash dumps, all of which have been cited for polluting groundwater. Duke was also cited this week for illegally pumping 61 million gallons of contaminated water from two coal ash dumps into a canal leading to the Cape Fear River.

"The state's goal is both to clean up the Dan River and to protect public health and the environment at the other Duke Energy facilities around the state, and we are pleased to announce that the EPA will join us as we address these important issues," Republican Gov. Pat McCrory said.

Before becoming governor, McCrory worked at Duke for more than 28 years. Records show the company and its employees have provided more than $1.1 million to McCrory's campaign and GOP groups that supported his candidacy.

The scuttled settlement was initially tabled Feb. 11, the day after the Associated Press published a story highlighting what environmentalists criticized as a "sweetheart deal" for the governor's former employer.

The state took legal action against Duke only after a coalition of environmental groups represented by the Southern Environmental Law Center filed notice in January 2013 that they planned to sue Duke over its coal ash pollution under the Clean Water Act. The McCrory administration then used its authority under the act to file state violations against Duke and then quickly negotiated the settlement — a move environmentalists contend was intended to shield the nation's largest electricity company from far harsher penalties it might have faced in federal court.

Federal prosecutors are now conducting a criminal investigation of the Dan River spill and looking into the relationship between Duke and the state officials charged with enfor­cing clean water laws. There have been at least 23 subpoenas issued since the spill, and a grand jury met this week at the federal courthouse in Raleigh

McCrory and officials at the state environmental agency, known by the acronym DENR, have ardently defended the proposed deal with the company, even as they abandoned it.
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#44898 Mar 22, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
From ap.. North Carolina officials said they will now partner with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to pursue joint enforcement actions against Duke for Clean Water Act violations at the Dan River and other sites.
Duke, which serves much of west-central Florida after its merger with Progress Energy in 2012, operates 14 facilities in North Carolina with leaky, unlined coal ash dumps, all of which have been cited for polluting groundwater. Duke was also cited this week for illegally pumping 61 million gallons of contaminated water from two coal ash dumps into a canal leading to the Cape Fear River.
"The state's goal is both to clean up the Dan River and to protect public health and the environment at the other Duke Energy facilities around the state, and we are pleased to announce that the EPA will join us as we address these important issues," Republican Gov. Pat McCrory said.
Before becoming governor, McCrory worked at Duke for more than 28 years. Records show the company and its employees have provided more than $1.1 million to McCrory's campaign and GOP groups that supported his candidacy.
The scuttled settlement was initially tabled Feb. 11, the day after the Associated Press published a story highlighting what environmentalists criticized as a "sweetheart deal" for the governor's former employer.
The state took legal action against Duke only after a coalition of environmental groups represented by the Southern Environmental Law Center filed notice in January 2013 that they planned to sue Duke over its coal ash pollution under the Clean Water Act. The McCrory administration then used its authority under the act to file state violations against Duke and then quickly negotiated the settlement — a move environmentalists contend was intended to shield the nation's largest electricity company from far harsher penalties it might have faced in federal court.
Federal prosecutors are now conducting a criminal investigation of the Dan River spill and looking into the relationship between Duke and the state officials charged with enfor­cing clean water laws. There have been at least 23 subpoenas issued since the spill, and a grand jury met this week at the federal courthouse in Raleigh
McCrory and officials at the state environmental agency, known by the acronym DENR, have ardently defended the proposed deal with the company, even as they abandoned it.
*poof*

The atmosphere thanks you for the additional CO2 you spewed.

Hypocrite.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44899 Mar 22, 2014
No "poof"

Stop your vudu practice.

I want to live.

You are free to leave.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44900 Mar 22, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Three climate scientists; there is no consensus on how to mitigate climate change because its never been demonstrated.
Actually those three have to defend their records for history as well.

Who would want to do their graduate work with them at this point? Waste of time.

Your whole post is defenseless nonsense.
Mothra

Mesa, AZ

#44902 Mar 22, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
No "poof"
Stop your vudu practice.
I want to live.
You are free to leave.
So the CO2 produced from your posts don't make it into the atmosphere?

Do you suck them up at the source? Holding your breath?

LOL

"I want to live"

So quit spewing out CO2 if it's already the crisis, you say it is.

Run along, hypocrite Topix won't miss you..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Right 1,127,065
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 min PEllen 98,504
amy 1-25 13 min PEllen 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 min JOEL 70,103
abby 10-25 15 min PEllen 1
Man fatally stabbed, 8 other people shot in Thu... 37 min reality is a crutch 1
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 1 hr Swedenforever 54,525
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr jacques Ottawa 179,459
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]