Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

dem

Chicago, IL

#44852 Mar 21, 2014
Rightuptheasshole is really an angry little guy. Ever since his wife soaked him for new ti ts then dumped him he's been a little unhinged. So damn unhinged he'd let me catch him arguing against the 95% of the people that do it for a living.
dem

Chicago, IL

#44853 Mar 21, 2014
Probability is the language of science, There is no proof; there are no absolute certainties, day trader idiot. Scientists are always aware that new data may overturn old theories and that human knowledge is constantly evolving. Problem is you fkn morons don't have anything but right wing bull sh it to sway your case
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#44854 Mar 21, 2014
cold cod babble wrote:
But my daddy might have to move his beach house back 40 feet from the shore......
Don' worra. Hurricane Sandy Two will do it fer 'im....... called parting out......PARTS, 80 feet back.... PARTS, 800 feet back & PARTS, 8000 feet OUT to sea.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44855 Mar 21, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar? You lunkhead. APS reviews it's policy statements every five years.
The American Physical Society formally reviews its statements every five years. In accordance with that process, the APS Panel on Public Affairs (POPA) formed a Subcommittee to review its Climate Change Statement....
As part of the POPA-approved process, on January 8, 2014 the Subcommittee convened a workshop with six climate experts....
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/climate-...
Check the date on your link... November 18, 2007
"If true"?
"I was one of the experts invited to attend the January 8 Workshop. The other invitees were Bill Collins, Ben Santer, Isaac Held, Richard Lindzen, and John Christy."
-- Judith Curry
http://judithcurry.com/2014/02/19/aps-reviews...
The story is about how some skeptics are now part of their process, aka "climate experts".
btw, from JC's post, "Finally, while speaking of the APS, I have an invited presentation at the forthcoming March APS meeting in Denver, Causes and implications of the growing divergence between climate model simulations and observations"
Feel stupid?
You should.
Three of the biggest climate science misinformers.
Three people who are wrong about climate science.

Will the APS see through them?

To be continued...
dem

Chicago, IL

#44856 Mar 21, 2014
Post your favorite sources and I will draw a distinct line back to fossil fuel fktards like the kochs. Can't blame them, it's their livelihood. I blame retarded morons like these topix tea bag scientists that spread the lies they are fed.
dem

Chicago, IL

#44857 Mar 21, 2014
Given the fact that human industrialization is unique in the history of planet earth, do we really need historical precedent for CO2-triggered climate change before we accept what we observe today? Surely it is not far-fetched that unprecedented consequences would follow from unprecedented events.
dem

Chicago, IL

#44858 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
To be continued...
This is like shooting fish in a barrel. These dopes try real hard to spread lies but not much else.
dem

Chicago, IL

#44859 Mar 21, 2014
Calm down tea bag scientists I already know you will laugh at facts and truth but it is fun to watch you laugh at noaa and nasa.

Current Analysis Method
The current analysis uses satellite observed nightlights to identify measurement stations located in extreme darkness and adjust temperature trends of urban and peri-urban stations for non-climatic factors, verifying that urban effects on analyzed global change are small. A paper describing the current analysis was published (Hansen et al. 2010) in Reviews of Geophysics in December 2010. The paper compares alternative analyses, and address questions about perception and reality of global warming. Alternative choices for the ocean data are tested. It is shown that global temperature change is sensitive to estimated temperature change in polar regions, where observations are limited. We suggest use of 12-month (and n×12) running mean temperature to fully remove the annual cycle and improve information content in temperature graphs. We conclude that global temperature continued to rise rapidly in the past decade, despite large year-to-year fluctuations associated with the El Niņo-La Niņa cycle of tropical ocean temperature. Record high global temperature during the period with instrumental data was reached in 2010. After that paper appeared, version 3 of the GHCN data became available. The current analysis is now based on the adjusted GHCN v3 data for the data over land. The ocean data are now based on NOAA ERSST for the sake of simplicity, replacing a prior concatenation of Hadley Center's HadSST1 and the satellite-based NOAA (Reynolds) OISST.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44860 Mar 21, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't need a forum for that, we already know. Starting with why Fox loves to call itself a news channel when in fact it's just an opinion channel much like the home shopping network. 90% of what is claimed on Fox is just not true and the 10% of the time when it is true, no one notices.
waa-waa-waa

You're getting as bad as Spaceblues... It's a "crisis", but you'll go ahead and post inanities and pump out more CO2.

btw, you know that makes you a hypocrite too, don't you?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44861 Mar 21, 2014
Hot coed babe wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't speak poorly of the Tea Party. I've met many of them and they are really nice fun family people. They do lots of sports with their kids and invite friends and family over for barbecue in the backyard and sometimes down at the beach.
psst... you're wasting your time with a troll
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44862 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
To be continued...
"As part of the POPA-approved process, on January 8, 2014 the Subcommittee convened a workshop with six climate experts."

See that? "Experts"

Oh wait... maybe you meant the other three...

"the green troll"

#44863 Mar 21, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
This is like shooting fish in a barrel. These dopes try real hard to spread lies but not much else.
They belong to the cult of stupid, they venerate stupidity. Are they really lying when they have swallowed the stupidity themselves?

"the green troll"

#44864 Mar 21, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"As part of the POPA-approved process, on January 8, 2014 the Subcommittee convened a workshop with six climate experts."
See that? "Experts"
Oh wait... maybe you meant the other three...
Looks like wattatawat actually has it right:

"The American Physical Society, which previously issued a highly alarmist statement regarding climate change, is to review it, and has appointed three climate realists to [address] the panel of six."

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/20/that-no...

The three contrarians have just been invited to give their views to the panel, whereupon the panel, if they have any sense, will recognise the contrarians are wrong on climate science, just as the rest of the scientific community has already.
dem

Chicago, IL

#44865 Mar 21, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
psst... you're wasting your time with a troll
You girls still think it takes a troll to derail your dumb denial?
dem

Chicago, IL

#44866 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
"The American Physical Society, which previously issued a highly alarmist statement regarding climate change, is to review it, and has appointed three climate realists to [address] the panel of six."
The three contrarians have just been invited to give their views to the panel, whereupon the panel, if they have any sense, will recognise the contrarians are wrong on climate science, just as the rest of the scientific community has already.
Are you a regular on this thread? Because I can't imagine these dopes sticking around as you kill them with facts? I'm not naive. I know tea baggers are crazy but this is funny. Birther funny.

"the green troll"

#44867 Mar 21, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
No, because he quit.
btw......what's your point? oh, you're changing the subject!
Did he jump or was he pushed?

His latest blog post is an example of how he was just too embarrassing for anybody with the slightest contact with reality.

"The American Physical Society (APS) has signalled a dramatic turnabout in its position on "climate change" by appointing three notorious climate skeptics to its panel on public affairs."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/201...

If you trace the story back through a succession of stupid blogs, you find that the "sceptics" were not appointed to the panel, they were just invited to a workshop to express their views, along with other climate scientists.

http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/climate-...
dem

Chicago, IL

#44868 Mar 21, 2014
No wonder rightuptheasshole was begging me to scare off the regular posters. He's getting killed in here.

"the green troll"

#44869 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, Delingpole's new blog seems to be the source for this cut'n paste.
Will it bear scepticism?
As expected: No.

Scepticism is an alien concept to these fools who call themselves "sceptics".
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44870 Mar 21, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
from the opening remarks:

And the meeting's purpose is to explore through expert presentations and discussion the state of climate science, both the consensus view as expressed by several thousand pages of the IPCC AR5 Working Group 1 report that came out three months ago, but also the views of experts who credibly take significant issue with several aspects of the consensus picture. In doing this, the subcommittee hopes to illuminate the certainties and the gaps in our understanding of the physical basis of climate change for the subcommittee itself, for the APS leadership who are present here as observers, and, througha transcript, for the APS membership and the
broader public.
http://www.aps.org/policy/statements/upload/c...

It remains to be seen what the panel presents. Just the same, this is a remarkable first step to an honest and full discussion that's been missing since the science was declared "settled".

btw, notice Dr. Koonin said, "... the views of experts who credibly take significant issue with several aspects of the consensus picture."

"Credibly"... that's really gotta bug you.

"the green troll"

#44871 Mar 21, 2014
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a regular on this thread? Because I can't imagine these dopes sticking around as you kill them with facts? I'm not naive. I know tea baggers are crazy but this is funny. Birther funny.
Yep. Post #2 is mine and quite a few since then.

I reckon most of them know what the facts are but are just looking for an excuse.

The "science isn't settled" sounds a lot better than "yeah, I know this is going to be bad for future generations, but I just don't care."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min DBWriter 1,224,048
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 20 min Ratloder 69,799
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 58 min Rogue Scholar 05 187,828
The Jar, what life is all about. 2 hr Thye human being 1
Core Aspects In Testo XTRM Across The Usa 3 hr jorgeleone 1
College Scandals 12 hr music 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 15 hr Red_Forman 5,947
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]