Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60110 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

litesong

Everett, WA

#44443 Mar 17, 2014
Genesis wrote:
Will you be canceling out Fair Game's vote in all future elections?
/////////
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" gushed:
i guess so.
/////////
litesong wrote:
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" couldn't get enough slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig votes to defeat a black man, not once, but even twice. "ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" worked hard to get the racists to vote.
denier

Zion, IL

#44444 Mar 17, 2014
litesong wrote:
Genesis wrote:
Will you be canceling out Fair Game's vote in all future elections?
/////////
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" gushed:
i guess so.
/////////
litesong wrote:
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" couldn't get enough slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig votes to defeat a black man, not once, but even twice. "ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" worked hard to get the racists to vote.
Obama is a failure it's not cause he's black I think your the racist one here
DDD-25

Corona, CA

#44445 Mar 17, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I have news for you, most of the posters on here I would think would at least hope to live another 20 yrs or so. So given that there is a BIG difference between living and survival, if we can't enjoy our environment then that is NOT living, it's a death sentence before your time. Learn to accept that instead of posting BS irrelevant facts. I prefer NOT to live out my next 20 yrs or my grandchildren in survival mode. When are you ever going to get it!
I will wager with you , and the wager will be, That in 20 years, if there has been a change in the climate that in deed, actually brings about a " survival mode" scenario, I will jump to my death from the tallest bridge you can find . On the other hand, if this survival mode of your freaked out imagination does not come to fruition, Then it is you who will jump to your death from the tallest bridge I can find.... So you see, you are not going to take the wager because you know I will win, and like all the other climate change freaks, you know that it is not really about climate change, instead it is really about a way to heist yet another tax burden onto the back of working people, How else will you sit on your butt and spew propaganda to keep the ignorant frightened and paying tribute . you are not much different than dictators of the past and religious movements. So, when are you gonna get it ?
litesong

Everett, WA

#44446 Mar 17, 2014
denier wrote:
.... it's not cause he's black......
Slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig re-pubic-lick-uns voted against Obama, because he's black.
Marcus Williams

Zion, IL

#44447 Mar 17, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig re-pubic-lick-uns voted against Obama, because he's black.
Boy what's wrong with you, ya been smokin CRACK? Im black and I voted for obama once,fool me once shame on u fool me twice shame on me! He ain't good for nobody American and u need to wake up and put the CRACK pipe down!
Jefferson

Fullerton, CA

#44450 Mar 17, 2014
lite weight wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama's black support has plummeted from 98.7% to 97.4%.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44451 Mar 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i guess so. just as soon as he's of legal age to do so.
:-/
Another denier tactic when they can't defend a dumb argument: the sock puppets talk to themselves.

"the green troll"

#44452 Mar 18, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>if they're tactics, son, you should be able to overcome them. but, you can't for some reason!!!
stop whining like a little bytch.
counter the science....or stop claiming you own it.
It's an unmoderated forum. You are not the first ignorant lout to troll it- mothballs has been doing it for years.

"the green troll"

#44453 Mar 18, 2014
Trolls go on for years claiming black is white, they've won the argument, and science is on their side.
denier

Zion, IL

#44454 Mar 18, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an unmoderated forum. You are not the first ignorant lout to troll it- mothballs has been doing it for years.
If you check the second post from 08 it clearly shows you as being the original troll
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44455 Mar 18, 2014
Wow, even MSM reporters want to see Michael Mann’s UVa emails now

Here’s something out of left field (literally) and almost too good to be true, but it really is. Get this: 17 news organizations, including NPR, WaPo, AP, now have grown a spine and filed an amicus brief (see download below) to OPPOSE in court Michael Mann’s effort to keep his UVa CLIMATEGATE-related e-mails secret.

Basically, Mann’s attempt at hiding his emails of work done on public funds and time from public view has backfired, and now is a story that has “legs” in reporter parlance.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/17/wow-eve...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44456 Mar 18, 2014
What's the denier obscessive focus on Professor Mann? Because he excells in science.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44457 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
What's the denier obscessive focus on Professor Mann? Because he excells in science.
Aww... widdle spaceballs in a snit again.

"the green troll"

#44458 Mar 18, 2014
Mothra wrote:
Wow, even MSM reporters want to see Michael Mann’s UVa emails now
Here’s something out of left field (literally) and almost too good to be true, but it really is. Get this: 17 news organizations, including NPR, WaPo, AP, now have grown a spine and filed an amicus brief (see download below) to OPPOSE in court Michael Mann’s effort to keep his UVa CLIMATEGATE-related e-mails secret.
Basically, Mann’s attempt at hiding his emails of work done on public funds and time from public view has backfired, and now is a story that has “legs” in reporter parlance.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/17/wow-eve...
wattatwat links to a good article.
Researchers say they are increasingly subject to freedom of information requests that, rather than gathering data for public disclosure, take the form of fishing expeditions for smear campaigns. In a two-part series in Climate Wire, Stephanie Paige Ogburn reports that the deluge has grown such that that researchers are increasingly turning to organizations like the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund, the Union of Concerned Scientists, and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, all designed to support scientists managing the onslaught.

In March of 2012, The Washington Post ran an editorial criticizing this particular usage of FOIA, arguing that allowing records requests to be used as harassment needlessly hinders science.

“Academics must feel comfortable sharing research, disagreeing with colleagues and proposing conclusions — not all of which will be correct,” wrote the Post, adding that making correspondence subject to public scrutiny “discourages the sort of scientific inquiry that, over time, sorts out fact from speculation, good science from bad.”
- See more at: http://www.cjr.org/the_observatory/michael_ma...
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44459 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
btw, find that picture of Mann holding his Nobel prize yet?

Didn't think so.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#44460 Mar 18, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>yes.
earths history of variability.
maybe you should become a 'prepper' then, too, chicken little.
nasa also says the world will become uninhabitable someday.
do you ever have a coherent point?
earths (sic) history of variability.

Can you show that these recent events and measurements are natural variability?

You ignore whole libraries of science with your conservative idiocy.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44461 Mar 18, 2014
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Al Gore

The Nobel Peace Prize 2007 laureate

http://www.nobelpeaceprizeconcert.org/concert...
SpaceBlues

United States

#44462 Mar 18, 2014
Nobel Peace Prize 2007

For their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44463 Mar 18, 2014
We congratulate the IPCC and Al Gore on receiving this year's Peace Prize. We thank you for what you have done for mother earth, and wish you further success in a task that is so vital to us all. Action is needed now. Climate changes are already moving beyond human control.

http://nobelpeaceprize.org/en_GB/laureates/la...
SpaceBlues

United States

#44466 Mar 18, 2014
CO2 has caused an accumulation of heat in our climate. The radiative forcing from CO2 is known with high understanding and confirmed by empirical observations. The climate response to this heat build-up is determined by climate sensitivity.

Ironically, when skeptics cite past climate change, they're in fact invoking evidence for strong climate sensitivity and net positive feedback. Higher climate sensitivity means a larger climate response to CO2 forcing. Past climate change actually provides evidence that humans can affect climate now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Dr Guru 216,853
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 58 min Incognito4Ever 1,395,639
last post wins! (Dec '10) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2,145
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr CrunchyBacon 102,496
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 1,118
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr SweLL GirL 8,898
Chicago has the Worst Women 6 hr Amazing but True 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages