Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64673 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44457 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
What's the denier obscessive focus on Professor Mann? Because he excells in science.
Aww... widdle spaceballs in a snit again.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44458 Mar 18, 2014
Mothra wrote:
Wow, even MSM reporters want to see Michael Mann’s UVa emails now
Here’s something out of left field (literally) and almost too good to be true, but it really is. Get this: 17 news organizations, including NPR, WaPo, AP, now have grown a spine and filed an amicus brief (see download below) to OPPOSE in court Michael Mann’s effort to keep his UVa CLIMATEGATE-related e-mails secret.
Basically, Mann’s attempt at hiding his emails of work done on public funds and time from public view has backfired, and now is a story that has “legs” in reporter parlance.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/17/wow-eve...
wattatwat links to a good article.
Researchers say they are increasingly subject to freedom of information requests that, rather than gathering data for public disclosure, take the form of fishing expeditions for smear campaigns. In a two-part series in Climate Wire, Stephanie Paige Ogburn reports that the deluge has grown such that that researchers are increasingly turning to organizations like the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund, the Union of Concerned Scientists, and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, all designed to support scientists managing the onslaught.

In March of 2012, The Washington Post ran an editorial criticizing this particular usage of FOIA, arguing that allowing records requests to be used as harassment needlessly hinders science.

“Academics must feel comfortable sharing research, disagreeing with colleagues and proposing conclusions — not all of which will be correct,” wrote the Post, adding that making correspondence subject to public scrutiny “discourages the sort of scientific inquiry that, over time, sorts out fact from speculation, good science from bad.”
- See more at: http://www.cjr.org/the_observatory/michael_ma...
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44459 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
What's the denier obscessive focus on Professor Mann? Because he excells in science.
btw, find that picture of Mann holding his Nobel prize yet?

Didn't think so.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#44460 Mar 18, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>yes.
earths history of variability.
maybe you should become a 'prepper' then, too, chicken little.
nasa also says the world will become uninhabitable someday.
do you ever have a coherent point?
earths (sic) history of variability.

Can you show that these recent events and measurements are natural variability?

You ignore whole libraries of science with your conservative idiocy.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44461 Mar 18, 2014
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Al Gore

The Nobel Peace Prize 2007 laureate

http://www.nobelpeaceprizeconcert.org/concert...
SpaceBlues

United States

#44462 Mar 18, 2014
Nobel Peace Prize 2007

For their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44463 Mar 18, 2014
We congratulate the IPCC and Al Gore on receiving this year's Peace Prize. We thank you for what you have done for mother earth, and wish you further success in a task that is so vital to us all. Action is needed now. Climate changes are already moving beyond human control.

http://nobelpeaceprize.org/en_GB/laureates/la...
SpaceBlues

United States

#44466 Mar 18, 2014
CO2 has caused an accumulation of heat in our climate. The radiative forcing from CO2 is known with high understanding and confirmed by empirical observations. The climate response to this heat build-up is determined by climate sensitivity.

Ironically, when skeptics cite past climate change, they're in fact invoking evidence for strong climate sensitivity and net positive feedback. Higher climate sensitivity means a larger climate response to CO2 forcing. Past climate change actually provides evidence that humans can affect climate now.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#44467 Mar 18, 2014
Mothra wrote:
Wow, even MSM reporters want to see Michael Mann’s UVa emails now
Here’s something out of left field (literally) and almost too good to be true, but it really is. Get this: 17 news organizations, including NPR, WaPo, AP, now have grown a spine and filed an amicus brief (see download below) to OPPOSE in court Michael Mann’s effort to keep his UVa CLIMATEGATE-related e-mails secret.
Basically, Mann’s attempt at hiding his emails of work done on public funds and time from public view has backfired, and now is a story that has “legs” in reporter parlance.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/03/17/wow-eve...
If you cannot support your position with science, try poisoning the well.....
truth facts

Mount Orab, OH

#44468 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
We congratulate the IPCC and Al Gore on receiving this year's Peace Prize. We thank you for what you have done for mother earth, and wish you further success in a task that is so vital to us all. Action is needed now. Climate changes are already moving beyond human control.
http://nobelpeaceprize.org/en_GB/laureates/la...
It's easy to buy the prize.When the liar n chief got one for doing absolutely nothing.The award means nothing.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#44469 Mar 18, 2014
OzShitz wrote:
<quoted text>
See this is what I mean by these tea bagger/ Libertarian types. Before US government the population running around was only a few million. This means you could fire off that automatic weapon on a drive by and hit nothing. There was also no around when you ran into that tree either. So sure no government worked well then.
Now with over 313 million on the same land mass, you still declare "NO GOVERNMENT" is a good idea! lol Well Egypt tried no government, Libya tried no government, Syria is trying no government, Ukraine is trying no government and Iraq is giving it a go while each new minister stands in line to be blown up. What about Afghanistan , how is government working for them or a smaller model like Haiti. As soon as you start this BS fairytale about Government intervening in your lives when there are much more pressing issues in the modern world than your lil patch of dirt. Where you create a vacuum and government reach is no longer effective, there is always some power crazed nasty group to fill it. History has shown that time and time again. How you have became blind to this is beyond belief!
Well, Mr. Brain Trust, I did not say "NO GOVERNMENT". Hence, you lie, as usual. You are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo clueless as to the function of government in a free society that it's pitiful.
Until you answer this quick and simple question your "debating" is done here. Run along and let Uncle Sam wipe your azz for you since you need someone to do everyhting for you because you lack self responsibility.
truth facts

Mount Orab, OH

#44470 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
CO2 has caused an accumulation of heat in our climate. The radiative forcing from CO2 is known with high understanding and confirmed by empirical observations. The climate response to this heat build-up is determined by climate sensitivity.
Ironically, when skeptics cite past climate change, they're in fact invoking evidence for strong climate sensitivity and net positive feedback. Higher climate sensitivity means a larger climate response to CO2 forcing. Past climate change actually provides evidence that humans can affect climate now.
Blah,blah,blah STFU!!!!!!!!!!
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44471 Mar 18, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If you cannot support your position with science, try poisoning the well.....
Thanks so much for that irrelevant twaddle. Say howdy to your buddy litesong.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44472 Mar 18, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
wattatwat links to a good article.
<quoted text>
- See more at: http://www.cjr.org/the_observatory/michael_ma...
You missed this part...

"And it’s a strange place now for some news outlets to find themselves in, particularly the Washington Post. This (absurdly detached) blast from the past below reminds us how these outlets may act out with their editorial positions, but these aren’t always harmonious with their lesser-advertised legal postures."

Wapo is now part the the americus brief. So in 2011, they said one thing, but it 2014 they act differently.

Curious, no?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#44473 Mar 18, 2014
Man made CO2 emissions might be insignificant to climate change; there are no experimental tests.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#44476 Mar 18, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks so much for that irrelevant twaddle. Say howdy to your buddy litesong.
How about it? Give us some solid science that supports your blather What we will get is more blather and cut and paste form WUPWT or some other science deficient blog or fossil fuel shills.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44477 Mar 18, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
How about it? Give us some solid science that supports your blather What we will get is more blather and cut and paste form WUPWT or some other science deficient blog or fossil fuel shills.
1350+ Peer-Reviewed Papers Supporting Skeptic Arguments Against ACC/AGW Alarm
http://www.populartechnology.net/2009/10/peer...

Happy reading!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44478 Mar 18, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed this part...
"And it’s a strange place now for some news outlets to find themselves in, particularly the Washington Post. This (absurdly detached) blast from the past below reminds us how these outlets may act out with their editorial positions, but these aren’t always harmonious with their lesser-advertised legal postures."
Wapo is now part the the americus brief. So in 2011, they said one thing, but it 2014 they act differently.
Curious, no?
Reading the case document, it looks like it's an attempt to narrow the definition of proprietary so it doesn't cover everything produced by the government in future FOI requests, not another attempt to get Mann's emails.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#44479 Mar 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
We congratulate the IPCC and Al Gore on receiving this year's Peace Prize. We thank you for what you have done for mother earth, and wish you further success in a task that is so vital to us all. Action is needed now. Climate changes are already moving beyond human control.
http://nobelpeaceprize.org/en_GB/laureates/la...
It's ALWAYS been beyond man's control...

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2014/03/...

...ya loopy arsed tranny.

Now try to prove it was mankind making it warmer for the last 20,000 years.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44480 Mar 18, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>Well, Mr. Brain Trust, I did not say "NO GOVERNMENT". Hence, you lie, as usual. You are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooo clueless as to the function of government in a free society that it's pitiful.
Until you answer this quick and simple question your "debating" is done here. Run along and let Uncle Sam wipe your azz for you since you need someone to do everyhting for you because you lack self responsibility.
It's pretty obvious you listen to Rush too much. "Free" as you define it is what ? Freedom of speech, Freedom of assembly, Freedom to travel, Freedom to migrate. That's what most normal people expect in a democratic system of government. What you expect is not deliverable, because your needs are sooooo offbeat to the rest of the population they are ignored. That is why you elect a government, to deal with things YOU as an individual can't deal with. A government is there to look after the majority of the population. It looks after your security, trade , infrastructure, education, health and delivers services you cannot provide. If you want to live in a cave that is your choice, but you still have to pay for the privilege of being able to do it. That is pay taxes on your income for the government to provide all of the above. The fact that you just want to be selective on what the government provides again is irrelevant. If you refuse an education, you can't refuse to pay for that service in your taxes. That's just one example of many but probably the most relevant to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min USAsince1680 1,759,422
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 56 min The real Rudy 77
Trump is A (Oct '17) 1 hr CrunchyBacon 761
Insane Popes 34th Hoyne Park (Nov '12) 3 hr St63rd 25
Straight 4 bi 1st time 3 hr friend 1
where to score h in chicago (Jul '12) 5 hr Yoyo 10
Arne Duncan's Unconstitutional Plan 9 hr Dont Breath MY Air 1

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages