Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64675 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44373 Mar 16, 2014
DDD-25 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have bad news for you pal. No matter what may happen, good or bad, benevolent or malevelant, YOU yes YOU are going to perish. and so is everyone else. Read a good description of life. It includes the inescapable end . Yes, You too... the end.
Well I have news for you, most of the posters on here I would think would at least hope to live another 20 yrs or so. So given that there is a BIG difference between living and survival, if we can't enjoy our environment then that is NOT living, it's a death sentence before your time. Learn to accept that instead of posting BS irrelevant facts. I prefer NOT to live out my next 20 yrs or my grandchildren in survival mode. When are you ever going to get it!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44374 Mar 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
http://geopolitics.knoji.com/h ow-to-slow-global-climate-chan ge/
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #1
The Nature Conservancy suggests using a bicycle or walking instead of using the car. This cuts down on the amount of fossil fuels used. The environment is protected from harmful emissions by reducing the amount of carbon dioxide that is released into the atmosphere.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #2
Try your local farmer's market to purchase items that are produced or raised locally. This cuts down on transportation emissions. It also saves on driving far distances to purchase food.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #3
Recycle furniture and clothing and buy secondhand whenever possible. This saves the energy and electrical usage that goes into producing the items. Often, items in like-new condition or nearly new condition can be found in thrift shops, consignment stores or resale shops.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #4
Use your bicycle to generate electricity. This article shows you how to do just that. The energy that is created can either be used or stored. It is clean and environmentally friendly.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #5
Telecommute and reduce extra trips when possible. This saves on travel emissions. Telecommuting can also slow global climate change by reducing the energy needs of cooling or heating an office and powering extra equipment.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #6
Adjust the thermostat. Use a lower setting in the winter and a higher setting in the summer. Much of our electricity in the US is powered by fossil fuels. Getting to these fuels can be destructive to mountains and releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Additional emissions are released into the air through the transportation of the fossil fuels from the mining site to the processing location.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #7
Separate your trash. Recycle whatever items you can. Not only will you be reducing waste but you may have fewer trips to the curb on trash day. Some places will purchase your used metals, broken appliances, aluminum cans and hot water heaters. This may also put a few dollars into your pocket. Be sure to combine the trips to the recycle center to save on transportation pollution.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #8
Items that are turned off but still plugged in continue to use electricity. Unplug all appliances when not in use. The same goes for radios, television sets and any other electrical convenience.
Slow Global Climate Change Idea #9
Buy recycled items when possible. Common items include paper goods such as copy or printer paper, toilet paper, cardboard boxes, paper plates and other disposable items.
Let's repeat the message.

These desperate deniers of the 'hood ignore these posts after giving them poor judge-its.
C'est la vie.. in this forum.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#44375 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>don't try to give a cute response when you're clueless about the question, son.
it would be better for you if i just assumed you don't understand instead of you removing any doubt.
take a class in macro economics and check back later, okay, shug.
Been a good while since I have been called son, but I kinda like it. That must make you ancient and perhaps a little senile. BTW, economics will not solve all our problems, that is why we must have government. When a price tag is placed upon environmental considerations and resource depletion, then perhaps the economic system can adjust.

There is no doubt that the Earth is warming. There is no doubt that CO2 is a GHG and contributes to the warming. There is no doubt that burning fossil fuels is increasing the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. The only doubt is from those who attempt to discredit these facts.

Will it be the end of mankind? Probably not, but the quality of life for future generations will necessarily become degraded. The future already has enough problems due to population pressures without adding a hotter climate to the mix.

Location hidden

#44379 Mar 16, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe when clowns like Kerry/Gore/Obozo/Biden stop flying around the world and take advantage of something called a phone and spreading their lies and their doom and gloom propaganda then maybe people like me might take it a little more seriously.How much could they have helped the environment if they were not flying every where they go?The numerous vacations flying every where.
They need to practice what they preach.
Where is the outrage from you trolls,I hear nothing but crickets.Start demanding that the clowns ride bicycles.Just imagine how they could help the environment.
That is nothing more than rationalization on your part. If it were possible for diplomacy to be handled over the tele then it would be done that way. Unfortunately the world does not work that way and you understand that. Also you show a very disrespectful attitude towards our leaders. It is "President Obama". You got that? What you show is a flaw in your character.

What you intimate as hypocrisy is nothing more than a rationalization for you to ignore the facts. It does nothing to address the problems that we are facing. It is obvious that the governments of the world must act to solve these problems. Like our national health dilemma, the market is doing nothing to alleviate the problems of environmental and resource depletion. As a matter of fact, its followers caused a great deal of the problems in the first place. The market is great at what it does, it just does not solve all our problems.

Location hidden

#44380 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i don't discredit facts, son.
i also don't overreact to uncertainties.
be definition....you're doing one or the other.
No, but you overreact to uncertainties. The preponderance of evidence in in the corner of the a warming Earth and man's contributions to it.
denier

Zion, IL

#44381 Mar 16, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is nothing more than rationalization on your part. If it were possible for diplomacy to be handled over the tele then it would be done that way. Unfortunately the world does not work that way and you understand that. Also you show a very disrespectful attitude towards our leaders. It is "President Obama". You got that? What you show is a flaw in your character.
What you intimate as hypocrisy is nothing more than a rationalization for you to ignore the facts. It does nothing to address the problems that we are facing. It is obvious that the governments of the world must act to solve these problems. Like our national health dilemma, the market is doing nothing to alleviate the problems of environmental and resource depletion. As a matter of fact, its followers caused a great deal of the problems in the first place. The market is great at what it does, it just does not solve all our problems.
It's president Barry soetoro aka obozo
SpaceBlues

Dallas, TX

#44383 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>i always reply, son.
i don't duck and dodge like you.
one more thing.....if you're going to keep claiming the intellectual high ground.......stop being such an obvious idiot.
Bwahahahaha

Keep your own advice, LOL.
SpaceBlues

Dallas, TX

#44384 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

i don't discredit facts, son.
i also don't overreact to uncertainties.
be definition....you're doing one or the other.
Yes, you do discredit science facts.
SpaceBlues

Dallas, TX

#44385 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>it is uncertain that, or if, mitigation will accomplish anything at all.
do you know what the optimum temperature of earth is supposed to be?
and you say i overreact to uncertainties??
i say let the science catch up to the hypotheses. you insist wholesale changes yesterday!
lol
Here you go again with empty talk without facts. You discredit science because you don't comprehend it.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#44386 Mar 16, 2014
so the sun, when it looses its energy will engulf the planets.. can you prove this? can you prove anything?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#44388 Mar 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>it is uncertain that, or if, mitigation will accomplish anything at all.
do you know what the optimum temperature of earth is supposed to be?
and you say i overreact to uncertainties??
i say let the science catch up to the hypotheses. you insist wholesale changes yesterday!
lol
Got hypothesis?

Where are your citations?

NASA says civilization will collapse soon from depletion of resources, climate change, and over-population. Can you prove NASA wrong?

Do you have anything at all?

No.

Just more handwaving hyperbole and cow cookies.

Since: Mar 14

Australia

#44391 Mar 17, 2014
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We know otherwise.
scientists have their own god, the god of the infinite. Watch Cosmos. There is a current fear understood truly by the few you need to hear. There are just too many of us. Without politics and science united, the elites will cut their losses and move off planet as rapidly as they can. Can't say I really blame them. The clever mice are leaving. Stu

Since: Mar 14

Australia

#44392 Mar 17, 2014
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
No, 2005 was the hottest ever, with 2007 in second place. 1934 was the hottest only in the US; globally, it wasn't even close.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2007/
Ausralia's finding it hard. Adelaide is now the hottest city on Earth. You know it's not really you, it's your children's children's children. An education is supposed to raise your sights, your consciousness, your intellect. Stop shouting there is no wolf, it's teeth are monstrous and it's talons hot. Stu

Location hidden

#44393 Mar 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Here you go again with empty talk without facts. You discredit science because you don't comprehend it.
Like most radical RWers there is little but rhetoric. It is easy to be against something when one does not show support for his empty position. It and is best to simply ignore these folks. There is nothing to counter. Their effectivness has long evaporated and they are recognized for what they are, simple cranks.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44394 Mar 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Like most radical RWers there is little but rhetoric. It is easy to be against something when one does not show support for his empty position. It and is best to simply ignore these folks. There is nothing to counter. Their effectivness has long evaporated and they are recognized for what they are, simple cranks.
Ditto.
SpaceBlues

United States

#44395 Mar 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>name one.
Easy.

You discredit the greenhouse gas effect.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44396 Mar 17, 2014
Stuart Cudahy wrote:
<quoted text> scientists have their own god, the god of the infinite. Watch Cosmos. There is a current fear understood truly by the few you need to hear. There are just too many of us. Without politics and science united, the elites will cut their losses and move off planet as rapidly as they can. Can't say I really blame them. The clever mice are leaving. Stu
Leaving for what? An island in the Pacific Ocean?

There is no escape from the global problems like this one. When that's understood by the rich like the Koch bros.. we will proceed to acceptable solutions.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44397 Mar 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Leaving for what? An island in the Pacific Ocean?
There is no escape from the global problems like this one. When that's understood by the rich like the Koch bros.. we will proceed to acceptable solutions.
No escape? Really?

So why do you insist on adding to it? Why do you not hold your leaders accountable?

Your hypocrisy has no bounds.
truth facts

Mount Orab, OH

#44398 Mar 17, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
No to me he's Obleezy flim flam liar n chief!!!!!!!!!!
Hypocrisy is Obozo flying in one plane,Moochelle flying in a separate plane, and the mutt flying in another plane.They have done this numerous times.Or Obozo going to one location and Mochelle going to another location.Why couldn't they fly on the same plane?They do not practice what they preach.Nor does Kerry with his million dollar yacht,2 private planes,a castle and four other mansions.I refuse to listen to hypocrites and their hypocritic message!You can be a sucker BOZO,now that's a good name for you.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44400 Mar 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>wrong again, son!!
you're consistent....i'll give you that much.
i don't discredit the greenhouse effect one iota. in fact, being a lover of life, i'm very thankful our planet has this.
ghg's represent about 3% of the atmosphere.....of which .037% is co2....of which man made emissions represent a smaller percentage still. the claim that man made emissions account for up to 60% of warming at times seems pretty dubious to me. but that really doesn't have anything to do with the actual greenhouse effect, does it?
The "I don't understand it, so it can't possibly be true" logical fallacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr OBAMA Muslim 1,760,708
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 2 hr The real Rudy 89
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 2 hr MPMMB 2,614
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 4 hr MPMMB 105
Review: Chicago Union Station Amtrak 4 hr CHICAGO IL UNION ... 1
Review: WGN TV Chicago Channel 9 4 hr TV PRODUCER 1
Clear Blue Skies over Windy City/Chicago, Illin... 4 hr CLEAR BLUE SKY CH... 1

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages