Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63930 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

dum

Zion, IL

#44268 Mar 14, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooh look, you made a nasty-wasty, scary-wary big number into a teeny weeny, itsy-bitsy small number, now it's not scary any more.
Only problem with that infantile logic is... it's still the same thing.
Is 2.51e+19 joules/day or 0.6 watts per square metre of forcing a significant figure? Yes, to anybody who understands the climate.
Why? Because 30% of that 500 watts per square metre is reflected back into space, and the other 70% is radiated back- giving a total forcing of 0.
Now 0.6 compared to zero is a huge difference.
That's an energy imbalance that will set the ice caps melting, start the seasons changing and see plant and animal habitats moving.
Why don't Yins take a bunch a mirrors up nort and reflect it back and then tell everyone to use white shingles on there house and then paint the roads white duh!
Craig

Los Angeles, CA

#44273 Mar 14, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>provide a link to this for validation or explain your quantitative analysis which brought you to this conclusion. we need this information asap because global alarmists are the best and brightest!!!!!!!
right??
you can do this.......we rely on your opinions.....even though you don't. you just like to express them.
I have some NASA info on the subject that proves idiots like you might be retarded.
Craig

Los Angeles, CA

#44274 Mar 14, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>that's because climate change alarmists can't think for themselves.
common sense and simple scientific observations are enemies to their absurd motivations.
You think that double talk is gonna help you, azzhole?
Craig

Los Angeles, CA

#44275 Mar 14, 2014
Is rightuptheasshole trying to get someone to prove science?
Maybe I'll teach him what science is before we move along to educating him on climate change.
grant gabber

Zion, IL

#44276 Mar 14, 2014
Glogull warming is real and you can't deny it,come on if you believe they'll give you money to come up with something that does nothing then you can claim bankrupt and walk away rich,everythings gonna crash anyways!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44278 Mar 14, 2014
Somebody wants to know what a joule is:

One joule in everyday life represents approximately:
the energy required to lift a small apple (with a mass of approximately 100 g) vertically through one meter of air.
the energy released when that same apple falls one meter to the ground.
the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 g of water by 0.24 K.[6]
the typical energy released as heat by a person at rest, every 1/60th of a second.[7]
the kinetic energy of a 50 kg human moving very slowly (0.2 m/s).
the kinetic energy of a tennis ball moving at 23 km/h (6.4 m/s).[8]
the kinetic energy of 1 kg moving &#8730;2 m/s.

One joule is also a watt-second and the common unit for electricity sales to homes is the kWh (kilowatt-hour), a kWh is thus 1000 (kilo) x 3600 seconds = 3.6 MJ (megajoules).

[credit to Wikipedia]]
John Galt

Los Angeles, CA

#44279 Mar 14, 2014
grant gabber wrote:
Glogull warming is real and you can't deny it,come on if you believe they'll give you money to come up with something that does nothing then you can claim bankrupt and walk away rich,everythings gonna crash anyways!
Go have another drink imbecile.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44280 Mar 14, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooh look, you made a nasty-wasty, scary-wary big number into a teeny weeny, itsy-bitsy small number, now it's not scary any more.
Only problem with that infantile logic is... it's still the same thing.
Is 2.51e+19 joules/day or 0.6 watts per square metre of forcing a significant figure? Yes, to anybody who understands the climate.
Why? Because 30% of that 500 watts per square metre is reflected back into space, and the other 70% is radiated back- giving a total forcing of 0.
Now 0.6 compared to zero is a huge difference.
That's an energy imbalance that will set the ice caps melting, start the seasons changing and see plant and animal habitats moving.
"And this is the reason we call these people alarmists. They canít make their point without scary sounding, but dubious, statements."
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44281 Mar 14, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
Somebody wants to know what a joule is:
One joule in everyday life represents approximately:
the energy required to lift a small apple (with a mass of approximately 100 g) vertically through one meter of air.
the energy released when that same apple falls one meter to the ground.
the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 g of water by 0.24 K.[6]
the typical energy released as heat by a person at rest, every 1/60th of a second.[7]
the kinetic energy of a 50 kg human moving very slowly (0.2 m/s).
the kinetic energy of a tennis ball moving at 23 km/h (6.4 m/s).[8]
the kinetic energy of 1 kg moving &#8730;2 m/s.
One joule is also a watt-second and the common unit for electricity sales to homes is the kWh (kilowatt-hour), a kWh is thus 1000 (kilo) x 3600 seconds = 3.6 MJ (megajoules).
[credit to Wikipedia]]
*poof"

More CO2 into the atmosphere.

Crisis be damned.

Hypocrite.
John Galt

Los Angeles, CA

#44282 Mar 14, 2014
First off over 90% of all climate scientists agree that there is man made climate change.

That means everyone of you idiot "topix scientist"s are quite possibly fkn retarded.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44283 Mar 14, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>LEAVE it to you, spaced blues[sic], to quote litesong as a supportive source to your 'scientific' arguments!!!
bwaaahhaaahaaaa
YES!!!! you've been posting for a year about daily 'hiroshimas'.
BUT, you refused to see how ridiculous that regurgitation was.
YOU had posts provided for your benefit to help educate you about the actual realities, proper perspectives, and to point out the myopic views you had.
HOWEVER, you obviously choose to be willingly hoodwinked, or blinded, by pseudoscience.
BECAUSE....if you were nearly as smart as you portray, or claim, to be.....you could've figured this out yourself before your sophomore year in high school.
http://nofrakkingconsensus.com/2013/06/22/med...
BWAHAHAHA then LOL then haHAHAHAHA

You just woke up but your nightmare goes on... you don't comprehend!!!!

Bwahahah you wish litesong were your buddy!!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44284 Mar 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
*poof"
More CO2 into the atmosphere.
Crisis be damned.
Hypocrite.
This does not generate credibility for your cause.

Your love the word hypocrite because you are one.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44285 Mar 14, 2014
You love the word hypocrite because you are one. [corrected]
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44286 Mar 14, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>This does not generate credibility for your cause.
Your love the word hypocrite because you are one.
The hypocrite crying about credibility.

LOL
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44292 Mar 14, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
The hypocrite crying about credibility.
LOL
Whine, LOL, whine,...again.
litesong

Everett, WA

#44294 Mar 14, 2014
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ", "middleofthedownwronggull y"].....just say 53 acres instead of 40 football fields??[/QUOTE]

53 acres has farmers with a some tractors. 40 football fields have 80 sets of........ CHEER LEADERS!!!!!!!!!!
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/40-f...
litesong

Everett, WA

#44295 Mar 14, 2014
Hey....... make sure to see 37. Just don't faint dead away!
litesong

Everett, WA

#44296 Mar 14, 2014
Or 36!!!!!!!!
litesong

Everett, WA

#44300 Mar 14, 2014
Nah....... 37. Got ta move to Oklahoma........
litesong

Everett, WA

#44302 Mar 14, 2014
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ", "middleofthedownwronggull y"] the only thing that gets you.....[/QUOTE]

None of the 80 sets of cheerleaders could entice "ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" out of its down wrong gully.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min JCPete 1,566,303
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min pasta bolivia 242,292
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 30 min Alyssa76 11,026
Trump Just Sux 48 min They cannot kill ... 95
Trump Twilight Zone 4 hr Slog 1
OVERALL CDST of electric autos. 5 hr PRECC 3
That's all your good for God!!! 5 hr doG mnaDde lHyo i... 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages