Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64133 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

denier

Zion, IL

#44185 Mar 12, 2014
Poof I farted more manmade co2!

“Pass the sunscreen”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#44186 Mar 12, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>I reviewed what I posted from the Wikipedia. It is correct. The numbers are the references. You can read the original material there.
[I fully support Wikipedia, even with donations. It is one of the best things about the Internet.]
You are merely shooting from the hip. Get real about the science.
I did quote science.

Perhaps you should reaquaint yourself with Geology.

Coal is King

Eddyville, KY

#44187 Mar 12, 2014
A voice not from the coalfields:

From Greenfield, Nevada:

"Last night the democrats spent all night wasting the taxpayers money talking about climate change.... Climate change is not real! Just ask Mitch McConnell, who wants to burn more coal, or ask the oil/coal companies, or any of us republicans..You can trust them to tell you the facts, they are "job creators", and they know what's best.

They could be doing more Bengazi investigating or Monica Lewinski investigating or maybe another vote to repeal Obama care, or something with real meaning... But Climate change? Give me a break.

Vote republican... Burn more coal."
SpaceBlues

United States

#44188 Mar 12, 2014
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>I did quote science.
Perhaps you should reaquaint[sic] yourself with Geology.
haha read Wikipedia..
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44193 Mar 12, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
*poof*

...goes the CO2.

Such a crisis.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44194 Mar 12, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>MOTHRA......"YOU DA MAN"!!!!
LOL
Warmists hate to be held to any standards... especially their own.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Hampton, VA

#44195 Mar 12, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chinese had to learn the hard way, same as you. Now they are walking around with gas masks and choking to death. They won't need a carbon price, it will be enforced by a central government as they translate to clean energy. Infact they are building entire green cities right now and all those coal fired power plants will either have to clean up their act or close.
But for the likes you, well you need a carbon price because there is no way you will ever comply out of free will. So trying to educate is a pointless exercise when bagger politics is involved, it's like trying to find harmony in the Middle East. Everyone is pushing a barrow in different directions, so a carbon price is the only method to bring you guys into line.
So where's the outcry? Where are you climate changers? Why are you not bitchin an moanin about the Chinese? Get the UN in on it. Get WHO in on it.
Hell, lets send in troops and stop this madness now!!! The Chinese are destroying out weather! Even all the smoke coming from all the Chinese restaurants. Stop them now!!!!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#44196 Mar 13, 2014
Coal is King wrote:
A voice not from the coalfields: From Greenfield, Nevada: "Last night the democrats spent all night wasting the taxpayers money talking about climate change.... Climate change is not real! Just ask Mitch McConnell, who wants to burn more coal, or ask the oil/coal companies, or any of us republicans..You can trust them to tell you the facts, they are "job creators", and they know what's best. They could be doing more Bengazi investigating or Monica Lewinski investigating or maybe another vote to repeal Obama care, or something with real meaning... But Climate change? Give me a break. Vote republican... Burn more coal."
Don't forget the consumer, every time you buy fossil fuel products, you make the market as much as any oil or gas company does.

Most Americans don't think climate change is an important political issue because nobody can fix the climate.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44198 Mar 13, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Don't forget the consumer, every time you buy fossil fuel products, you make the market as much as any oil or gas company does.
Most Americans don't think climate change is an important political issue because nobody can fix the climate.
What BS is that, do you judge "most" Americans as those who are within arms reach of yourself. Because that what it amounts too, next to zero that would hold your opinion.
By an overwhelming majority, World opinion and facts point to man as being responsible for climate change. Which translates, if man is responsible then he sure as hell can fix it before the point of no return is reached which may be only as little as 10 yrs away. Marginalising opinions of the "Bible" & "Coal" belts in the face of that will only make them as popular as Al Queda at a Whitehouse Christmas party!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#44199 Mar 13, 2014
Oz, check out how most Americans voted in the recent election:

Alex Sink Rides Global Warming Alarmism to Surprise Congressional Defeat in FL-13

The national media this morning are calling Democrat Alex Sink’s surprise defeat in a bellwether special Congressional election yesterday a foreboding referendum on Obamacare. Perhaps this is so, but only slightly less noteworthy is Sink supporters’ failed attempt to turn victorious Republican David Jolly’s global warming skepticism into a political albatross.

Having just moved into Florida’s U.S. House District 13, I was shocked these past two weeks to discover how global warming became the central issue dominating television’s political commercials. Granted, I haven’t been watching much television, as moving from one house to another has been nearly a full-time job. Nevertheless, it seemed I couldn’t go 15 minutes into my limited viewing schedule without seeing the same Sierra Club/League of Conservation Voters commercial excoriating Jolly for being a global warming skeptic. I honestly can’t recall seeing any other political commercials these past two weeks, either pro-Sink or pro-Jolly. However, I must have seen the global warming commercial at least a dozen times.

Most campaign analysts and all pre-election polls named Sink the favorite in the race. Sink held statewide office as Florida Chief Financial Officer from 2007-2010. In 2010, one of the bloodiest political years for Democrats ever, Sink came within a hair of winning Florida’s gubernatorial election. Sink had a tremendous name recognition advantage over Jolly, a former lobbyist who nobody had even heard of six months ago. Sink’s campaign outspent Jolly. And Sink decided to counter anti-Obamacare sentiment by defining Jolly as a scientifically dangerous climate change skeptic....
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2014/...
hands on AR

Zion, IL

#44200 Mar 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
What BS is that, do you judge "most" Americans as those who are within arms reach of yourself. Because that what it amounts too, next to zero that would hold your opinion.
By an overwhelming majority, World opinion and facts point to man as being responsible for climate change. Which translates, if man is responsible then he sure as hell can fix it before the point of no return is reached which may be only as little as 10 yrs away. Marginalising opinions of the "Bible" & "Coal" belts in the face of that will only make them as popular as Al Queda at a Whitehouse Christmas party!
What a sad life you must live now your attacking the bible and coal belt your lookin pretty pathetic al!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#44201 Mar 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
What BS is that, do you judge "most" Americans as those who are within arms reach of yourself. Because that what it amounts too, next to zero that would hold your opinion. By an overwhelming majority, World opinion and facts point to man as being responsible for climate change. Which translates, if man is responsible then he sure as hell can fix it before the point of no return is reached which may be only as little as 10 yrs away. Marginalising opinions of the "Bible" & "Coal" belts in the face of that will only make them as popular as Al Queda at a Whitehouse Christmas party!
Alex Sink was an offshore drilling lobbyist; he won even when called a denier by his opponent. He won because he was called a denier by his Democratic opponent.
James

Corona Del Mar, CA

#44202 Mar 13, 2014
So what's the most important thing YOU do to slow down global warming?

1. Bought a hybrid

2. Put solar panels on my roof

3. Post on website forums

4. Contribute cash to global warming organizations

5. Stop buying Chinese products

6. Other?
litesong

Everett, WA

#44203 Mar 13, 2014
coal is CO2 wrote:
"Last night the democrats spent all night wasting the taxpayers money talking about climate change....
Sen. Christopher Murphy -Connecticut: Ski industry in Connecticut is in trouble & may not exist in the future. A rail bridge along the coast, was only saved from Hurricane Sandy by a sand dune that took the brunt of the storm. The sand dune no longer exists due to Sandy, so any similar future storm will down the rail line. In truth many other exposures along the shore can also be removed due to any powerful storm occurring. Eleven percent of NYC is in flood plain. health insurance costs are escalating, due to increasing sickness from malaria, lyme disease, & other diseases spread by insects.
Koch Brothers & other old-line industrials flood the communication lines with millions of dollars of old-line ideas.
////////
Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota says her state rules are aimed to produce its renewable portfolio to 25% by 2025. Another state has aimed at 30%. New in-home hot water heaters are timed to heat water during the night, when wind turbine electrical energy is strongest, people have heated water in the morning, & hot water heaters are turned off during the power grid maximum in the early morning.
//////////
Sen. Edward Markey, Massachusetts states, his state loses 49 football fields of land per year due to rising oceans, Walden Pond's flowers blossom 10 days earlier than the dates recorded by Henry David Thoreau. Increasing global temperatures increase bad air days, stressing people & children with breathing difficulties. Storm surges on top of sea rises are aimed to cost hundreds of billions of dollars. Massachusetts is on line to have Virginia temperatures in 2100. Wind deployment needs steady tax incentives as oil, gas, & coal. Efforts to increase gas exports will raise gas prices by 50%, & increase coal usage. One hundred environmental leaders from around the world has stated that the U.S. is the leader in environmental policy world-wide, & MUST lead the world.
//////////
Sen. Angus King, Independent, Maine, states that the lobster industry, centered just south of Massachusetts in 1970's has translated to the shores of Maine, as lobsters seek lower temperature waters. Muir Glacier, Alaska as with the great majority of world glaciers, are disappearing....... quickly. Climate change, much more greatly felt in 3rd world countries, is causing more "radical students for Al-Qaeda". Coal can be used, with intense innovation in coal-science emissions reduction.
The Maine rototiller rule: borrow your neighbor's rototiller, return it in the same condition you borrowed it, with a full tank of gas. We borrow the environment from our children. We must return it to our children in as good a condition as we borrowed it. We have NOT borrowed the environment safely from our children.
//////////
Sen. Jeff merkley, D-Oregon: Presenting a photograph that a quick view, appeared to be a forest fire burn of a hillside. Instead, it was a photograph of pine-beetle damage that is spreading to regions that used to be protected from pine-beetles due to their cold climate..... which is warming now & pine-beetles ARE spreading to other regions. Fish, specially trout, salmon, & steelhead are best in cold streams & rivers. As glaciers decrease, streams & rivers are warming, & fish quality is decreasing.
//////////
Sen. Christopher Coons, Delaware: Delaware has the lowest elevation of any state, only averaging 60 feet! Sea level at Delaware has tripled in 200 years as well as Delaware is sinking. Several of his communities, towns, & even cities, will be submerged from both effects by 2100. Delaware's republican governor, Russell Peterson passed shoreline protection legislation, not to develop. Echos other reports that fish stocks are moving northward. Delaware was the lead state to examine climate change possibilities.
litesong

Everett, WA

#44204 Mar 13, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
Alex Sink Rides Global Warming Alarmism to Surprise Congressional Defeat in FL-13
Sen. Bill Nelson-Florida: 14 million people live along the coast. That will double by 2040(?). Most of Florida's coast will be flooded, some areas deeply inland. The Florida Keys will be gone. Much of the Everglades will be ocean water inundated. The Senator, who was an astronaut, was also Florida insurance commissioner. He tried to get the Insurance Industry interested in protecting Florida shorelines, which they insure. The insurance industry buried its head in the ground. Miami Beach, will buy sea pumps & build sea walls, while asking the Netherlands for information. Sea water inundation from rising tides is beginning to intrude on some fresh water city supplies.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Suffolk, VA

#44205 Mar 13, 2014
The Washington Post

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 90+ years ago.

(sensationalism in the media never changes...hahaha)

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44206 Mar 13, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Alex Sink was an offshore drilling lobbyist; he won even when called a denier by his opponent. He won because he was called a denier by his Democratic opponent.
Give me a break, this was nothing to do with global warming. It was all about health care. Here we have a state, the retirement capital of America and what was top of the agenda. Obamacare with saturation anti health care in the media since it's launch. What is the primary concern of Fat old white people ? Health care, which just so happens to match the demographics of those who make up tea party type thinking. This was NOT a litmus test on what the bulk of the population think, this was retirees worried about losing entitlements. They don't give a damn that the country has no way of paying for health care as the population ages and when you have a self centred demographic like that, global warming becomes let my kids worry about it after i'm dead!
litesong

Everett, WA

#44207 Mar 13, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]Alex Sink Rides Global Warming Alarmism to Surprise Congressional Defeat in FL-13[/QUOTE]

Voters have often screwed themselves into the ground......in this case, sea water inundated ground.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/ris...

“Sharia, NOT!”

Suffolk, VA

#44208 Mar 13, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Alex Sink was an offshore drilling lobbyist; he won even when called a denier by his opponent. He won because he was called a denier by his Democratic opponent.
He won because he was not a Democrat!!!
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#44210 Mar 13, 2014
James wrote:
So what's the most important thing YOU do to slow down global warming?
1. Bought a hybrid
2. Put solar panels on my roof
3. Post on website forums
4. Contribute cash to global warming organizations
5. Stop buying Chinese products
6. Other?
Thanks.

.. there are a lot of simple things that we do to slow global warming.
1. We reduce emissions of greenhouse gases through efficiency in our home,
•use alternative fuels and energy sources.
•Stop burning down forests to create farmland,

2.•Use energy sources that do not produce large amounts of greenhouse gases.
•ride bikes to school or walk

•Reduce reuse and recycle

3.•All people can slow down global warming by cutting down on their electricity use, gas, and other things that produce carbon dioxide.

•Buy energy efficient bulbs
•Trees absorb carbon dioxide, so we plant trees.[Planting four is equivalent to taking 100,000 cars' CO2 out of the atmosphere for a year]
•drive energy efficient cars such as electric, hybrid, and flex-fuel cars.
•Drive less per week by using public transport, carpools, bicycles or walking.

•Eat less meat, especially "red" meat from cows and sheep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Incognito4Ever 1,643,041
Joe Biden and PLAGIARISM. 1 hr Cuz King-s Dead 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr loose cannon 243,003
Live From "Earth II"....? 13 hr 2 MANY 2 LIST 3
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 13 hr Amazing Skulduggery 6
Help me 13 hr Silverback Rape 8
Cat's out of the bag. 13 hr HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages