Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60658 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Jimbo

Corona Del Mar, CA

#43955 Mar 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" tries a new tactic to end my illumination of their foul insanities. Hey, foul fiends! Here's more light.......
"ratdownthemiddle", "middleofthedownwronggull y" has no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly(or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.
koo koo
Environmonitor

Corona Del Mar, CA

#43956 Mar 1, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Another one enthralled by the second-hand video games dis-connect & dis-reality from real life. The 700,000 people who attended the Seattle Seahawk parade & celebration show you real life & spirit.
But I do agree with you about commuter air hopping within states & even across the country.
Cars waiting in line for an hour to park at a stadium is wasted carbon. Remember the 2005 Super Bowl and the 2002 World Series? I didn't think so. The planet must outlive all of those transitory temporary events.

And we must eliminate the delivery of all paper newspapers and paper political mailers. The carbon used to create and deliver them is needless since excellent alternative online methods are available.

Finally, I hope you are using neither plastic or paper bags or groceries or for trash.
John

Elk Grove Village, IL

#43957 Mar 1, 2014
Environmonitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Cars waiting in line for an hour to park at a stadium is wasted carbon. Remember the 2005 Super Bowl and the 2002 World Series? I didn't think so. The planet must outlive all of those transitory temporary events.
And we must eliminate the delivery of all paper newspapers and paper political mailers. The carbon used to create and deliver them is needless since excellent alternative online methods are available.
Finally, I hope you are using neither plastic or paper bags or groceries or for trash.
Enviro you nut!
Why don't we all move back into the caves and return to picking bugs off each other?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#43960 Mar 1, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>a village idiot taking up for THE village idiot.
isn't that special!!
The village idiot round here is you, pops.

Hundreds of posts on a subject you know nothing about, don't understand and don't care about.

And no recognition or respect for people who do know something about the subject, who do understand it, and who do care about it.

The very definition of an idiot.

"the green troll"

#43962 Mar 1, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>are you pretending again, son?
are you assuming you 'know' more about climate change, sport?
okay!!!! prove your position beyond your obvious blind faith!!
i'll wait to see your knowledgable and scientific response!
lol
The point is that you don't know a "knowledgable and scientific response" from a hole in the ground, hence in hundreds of posts, you have never made one.

All you do is troll people who do.

Like the other anti-intellectual trolls here, you don't give a toss about global warming, you just despise people with intelligence and learning, for the obvious reason that you lack both.

"the green troll"

#43963 Mar 1, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is that you don't know a "knowledgable and scientific response" from a hole in the ground, hence in hundreds of posts, you have never made one.
All you do is troll people who do.
Like the other anti-intellectual trolls here, you don't give a toss about global warming, you just despise people with intelligence and learning, for the obvious reason that you lack both.
Study suggests internet trolls may not be mentally healthy in real life

A new study from the University of Manitoba has shockingly claimed to have found that the Internet trolls we all know or love so well may not be very nice -- or particularly mentally healthy -- individuals in real life.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/01/study-s...

"the green troll"

#43964 Mar 1, 2014
What are the obnoxious Topix trolls like in real life?
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#43968 Mar 1, 2014

Er... I mean...

Once slow-moving threat is no longer a threat... This year... or next year... or the next decade and a half.

Oh well, alarmism just isn't what it used to be.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#43969 Mar 1, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry- Co2 concentration would have to be 50 times what it is today to cause health problems.
Basic Information about Concentrations of CO2 in Air
* 1,000,000 ppm of a gas = 100 % concentration of the gas, and 10,000 ppm of a gas in air = a 1% concentration.
* At 1% concentration of carbon dioxide CO2 (10,000 parts per million or ppm) and under continuous exposure at that level, such as in an auditorium filled with occupants and poor fresh air ventilation, some occupants are likely to feel drowsy.
* The concentration of carbon dioxide must be over about 2%(20,000 ppm) before most people are aware of its presence unless the odor of an associated material (auto exhaust or fermenting yeast, for instance) is present at lower concentrations.
* Above 2%, carbon dioxide may cause a feeling of heaviness in the chest and/or more frequent and deeper respirations.
* If exposure continues at that level for several hours, minimal "acidosis" (an acid condition of the blood) may occur but more frequently is absent.
http://www.inspect-ny.com/hazmat/CO2gashaz.ht...
Fair game thinks you are clueless!
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#43970 Mar 1, 2014
... and stop trying to steal his identity
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#43971 Mar 1, 2014
Fairy aim has been saying for the past half-decade that CO2 is NOT HARMFUL TO LIFE . So stop trying to make him look stupid by impersonating him.
SpaceBlues

United States

#43972 Mar 2, 2014
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
Er... I mean...
Once slow-moving threat is no longer a threat... This year... or next year... or the next decade and a half.
Oh well, alarmism just isn't what it used to be.
You are drinking again, whine.
QQ-Looking at U

United States

#43973 Mar 2, 2014
The Al Gore Kul-aid drinkers are in support of Cap and Tax. The whole idea/concept is part of an effort for the government(s) to suck more money out of the people!

It amazes me how people from Iowa (for example) can stick there noises into the business (and life) of people in say West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, etc.,(coal producing states) and tell them they cannot do mountain top removal.... which has never been defined. I suppose they would be upset if we requested they quit planting corn and allow 75% of the state to go back to the prairie grasses as they were 200 years ago!

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#43974 Mar 2, 2014
Oh my! The ozones burning, funny how the world keeps turning.. Look ya'll no hands.. Word of advice, it is what it is, a designed fate.. Please don't drink the kool-aid. Enjoy life without worry,.. Google blood moon..
SpaceBlues

United States

#43975 Mar 3, 2014
Lord Hater wrote:
<quoted text> All the ice that melts is fresh so salinity goes down and besides it will be under water remember.
Comprehension is important.

No point to continue with you.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#43977 Mar 3, 2014
QQ-Looking at U wrote:
The Al Gore Kul-aid drinkers are in support of Cap and Tax. The whole idea/concept is part of an effort for the government(s) to suck more money out of the people!
It amazes me how people from Iowa (for example) can stick there noises into the business (and life) of people in say West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, etc.,(coal producing states) and tell them they cannot do mountain top removal.... which has never been defined. I suppose they would be upset if we requested they quit planting corn and allow 75% of the state to go back to the prairie grasses as they were 200 years ago!
If you lived in China right now and were choking to death, do you think people like the green movement would still be the villain. Most baggers can't grasp the concept of global much less what they do to contribute to it. You can bet your a$$ the Chinese who have now experienced all the dirty laundry the West sent to them to improve their life aren't too impressed right now. They threw away their bicycles and got into cars only to find they have gained a slow moving car park with a longer commute than it took to ride the bike.
Now they have no idea what a blue sky day looks like any more, for those digging up that coal etc and sending it to them those same blue sky days might just become less n less for them as well. The only trouble with that is, the rest of us have to suffer for your ignorance!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014...
Jamaal

Corona Del Mar, CA

#43978 Mar 3, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
The hottest year on record was 1934*
* in the lower 48 states of the continental U.S.
"Globally, 1934 is not the hottest year on record, not even close. Not even close; the ten hottest years on record have all occured since 1990. And #1 is still 2005 (according to GISS) or 1998 (according to HadCRU; it’s really a “statistical tie”)."
http://tamino.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/before...
My great-grandfather used to keep track of the temperatures back in the 1930's (before and after). He said the instrumentation was faulty (ie. broken thermometers). He and his co-workers would just guess at the temperatures and report them. They said it was "close enough for government work". He said he never would have guessed in a million years that people would be relying so much on the precise accuracy of those temperatures.

Sometimes they used the Draper thermometers.
denier

Zion, IL

#43979 Mar 3, 2014
OzDumb wrote:
<quoted text>
If you lived in China right now and were choking to death, do you think people like the green movement would still be the villain. Most baggers can't grasp the concept of global much less what they do to contribute to it. You can bet your a$$ the Chinese who have now experienced all the dirty laundry the West sent to them to improve their life aren't too impressed right now. They threw away their bicycles and got into cars only to find they have gained a slow moving car park with a longer commute than it took to ride the bike.
Now they have no idea what a blue sky day looks like any more, for those digging up that coal etc and sending it to them those same blue sky days might just become less n less for them as well. The only trouble with that is, the rest of us have to suffer for your ignorance!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014...
Maybe you should go to China and inform them what their doing is bad for the globe ,see what they think !
drunk grampa

Zion, IL

#43980 Mar 3, 2014
Wasn't he a bit of a drinker to?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#43981 Mar 3, 2014
Ever wonder why warmies never bother with sock puppets, it seems those selling the conservative view "no change" love them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min The Donald_ 1,403,980
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min Buster Steinbeizer 219,456
Oceans Gentlemen's Club. A totally awesome, er... 5 hr Strip club man 1
The Official Jonas Brother Chat Room!!!! (Oct '08) 8 hr Kayla Phillips 751
Rating girls 8 hr Habsm22 1
Obama to head Mosque in City, 9 hr Sis Marian Roberta 1
last post wins! (Dec '10) 10 hr honeymylove 2,271
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 14 hr Sublime1 103,130

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages