Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64309 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#43889 Feb 26, 2014
[T]here are two academics out with a paper justifying lying about climate change in order to convince global governments to "do something" about it.

Fuhai Hong and Xiojian Zhao, economists at Singapore's Nanyang Technological University and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology respectively, are publishing a paper in the American Journal of Agricultural Economics called "Information Manipulation and Climate Agreements," which argues that manipulation of information by the media will "enhance global welfare" by inducing countries to agree to environmental accords (IEAs).

We show that the exaggeration of climate change may alleviate the problem of insufficient IEA participation. When the mass media has private information on the damage caused by climate change, in equilibrium they may manipulate this information to increase pessimism regarding climate damage even though in actual fact the damage may not be that great. Consequently, more countries will be induced to participate in an IEA in this state, thereby leading to greater global welfare ex post.

The article purports to prove, with an economic model, that the urgency of climate change and the necessity of international agreement makes it okay to lie about the projected consequences of climate change.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/kevinglass/2014/...
WARMING HOAX DEBUNKED

Dover, OH

#43890 Feb 26, 2014
There is no scientific evidence that human activity is causing the planet to warm, according to Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore, who testified in front of a Senate committee on Tuesday.

Moore argued that the current argument that the burning of fossil fuels is driving global warming over the past century lacks scientific evidence. He added that the Earth is in an unusually cold period and some warming would be a good thing.

“There is no scientific proof that human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) are the dominant cause of the minor warming of the Earth’s atmosphere over the past 100 years,” according to Moore’s prepared testimony.“Today, we live in an unusually cold period in the history of life on earth and there is no reason to believe that a warmer climate would be anything but beneficial for humans and the majority of other species.”

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/25/greenpeace-...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43891 Feb 26, 2014
“What I think is so scary about climate change is that it can influence the physiology of individuals, it can influence interactions among individuals within a species as well as between species, and it can affect habitat, which includes the quality of the water, food resources, and availability of critical spawning habitat,” Ludsin* explains.“It really can touch upon every aspect of the existence of an individual organism.”

Some like it cold

A warming climate is already affecting the Great Lakes region, from shorter winters and fewer days below freezing to record high temperatures and alternating drought and high-rain conditions. Warmer air and water may spell trouble for coolwater species like yellow perch and walleye.

http://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-...

* Dr. Stuart Ludsin, Associate Professor in The Ohio State University’s Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology, is studying the impacts of climate change on fish in the Great Lakes, focusing particularly on two predicted impacts: warming temperatures and an increase in extreme precipitation events.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43892 Feb 26, 2014
WARMING HOAX DEBUNKED wrote:
There is no scientific evidence that human activity is causing the planet to warm, according to Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore, who testified in front of a Senate committee on Tuesday.
Moore argued that the current argument that the burning of fossil fuels is driving global warming over the past century lacks scientific evidence. He added that the Earth is in an unusually cold period and some warming would be a good thing.
“There is no scientific proof that human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) are the dominant cause of the minor warming of the Earth’s atmosphere over the past 100 years,” according to Moore’s prepared testimony.“Today, we live in an unusually cold period in the history of life on earth and there is no reason to believe that a warmer climate would be anything but beneficial for humans and the majority of other species.”
http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/25/greenpeace-...
He's wrong.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#43895 Feb 26, 2014
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text>oh my 'space', we will have to wait for late spring or beyond to see if the fish were bothered by the almost total freeze over of the great lakes. perhaps you could go out and check for us, we will get someone to feed the unicorn for you and we will make sure the fairies understand that you will be back soon to dance with them. yes 'space', shorter winters and fewer days below freezing are indeed a pressing problem for the great lakes. have you moved into an insulated boot yet or are you still with your mother in the shoe? there now 'space', run along now, and remember, fairytales can come true, they can happen to you. poor thing.
Do you think your dance with the devil is something to aspire to. Defending the status quo (aka conservatism) even when it's proven to be a threat to mankind and everything else that lives on this planet excluding cockroaches. Then I'd hardly be holding my head up high.
In China now they are walking around with gas masks, no problem there either. I find it amusing they are hoping the winds will pick up to blow it across to the USA or they shut down their industry like they did for the Olympics. Yet this is the practice you defend.
Ag Professor University

Corona Del Mar, CA

#43896 Feb 26, 2014
Stop global climate change. Please start at #1 and work your way through #9. We can do it! Start today!
==========
1. Green your commute
Transportation causes about 25 per cent of Canada's greenhouse gas emissions, so walk, cycle or take transit whenever you can. You'll save money and get into better shape! If you can't go car-free, try carpooling or car sharing, and use the smallest, most fuel-efficient vehicle possible.
2. Be energy efficient
You already switch off lights — what's next? Change light bulbs to compact fluorescents or LEDs. Unplug computers, TVs and other electronics when not in use. Wash clothes in cold or warm (not hot) water. Dryers are energy hogs, so hang dry when you can. Install a programmable thermostat. Look for the Energy Star® label when buying new appliances. And a home energy audit is cheaper than you think — book one today to find even more ways to save energy.
3. Choose renewable power
Ask your utility to switch your account to clean, renewable power, such as from wind farms. If it doesn't offer this option yet, ask it to.
4. Eat wisely
Buy organic and locally grown foods. Avoid processed items. Grow some of your own food. And eat low on the food chain — at least one meat-free meal a day — since 18 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions come from meat and dairy production. Food writer Michael Pollan sums it up best: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
5. Trim your waste
Garbage buried in landfills produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Keep stuff out of landfills by composting kitchen scraps and garden trimmings, and recycling paper, plastic, metal and glass. Let store managers and manufacturers know you want products with minimal or recyclable packaging.
6. Let polluters pay
Carbon taxes make polluting activities more expensive and green solutions more affordable, allowing energy-efficient businesses and households to save money. They are one of the most effective ways to reduce Canada's climate impact. If your province doesn't have a carbon tax, ask your premier and MLA to implement one.
7. Fly less
Air travel leaves behind a huge carbon footprint. Before you book your next airline ticket, consider greener options such as buses or trains, or try vacationing closer to home. You can also stay in touch with people by videoconferencing, which saves time as well as travel and accommodation costs.
8. Get informed
Follow the latest news about climate change. Join our community. Host a presentation for your community or workplace by requesting a presenter trained by Al Gore from The Climate Project Canada.
9. Get involved
Take a few minutes to contact your political representatives and the media to tell them you want immediate action on climate change. Remind them that reducing greenhouse gas emissions will also build healthier communities, spur economic innovation and create new jobs. And next time you're at the polls, vote for politicians who support effective climate policies.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#43897 Feb 26, 2014
Ag Professor University wrote:
Stop global climate change. Please start at #1 and work your way through #9. We can do it! Start today!
==========
1. Green your commute
Transportation causes about 25 per cent of Canada's greenhouse gas emissions, so walk, cycle or take transit whenever you can. You'll save money and get into better shape! If you can't go car-free, try carpooling or car sharing, and use the smallest, most fuel-efficient vehicle possible.
2. Be energy efficient
You already switch off lights — what's next? Change light bulbs to compact fluorescents or LEDs. Unplug computers, TVs and other electronics when not in use. Wash clothes in cold or warm (not hot) water. Dryers are energy hogs, so hang dry when you can. Install a programmable thermostat. Look for the Energy Star® label when buying new appliances. And a home energy audit is cheaper than you think — book one today to find even more ways to save energy.
3. Choose renewable power
Ask your utility to switch your account to clean, renewable power, such as from wind farms. If it doesn't offer this option yet, ask it to.
4. Eat wisely
Buy organic and locally grown foods. Avoid processed items. Grow some of your own food. And eat low on the food chain — at least one meat-free meal a day — since 18 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions come from meat and dairy production. Food writer Michael Pollan sums it up best: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
5. Trim your waste
Garbage buried in landfills produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Keep stuff out of landfills by composting kitchen scraps and garden trimmings, and recycling paper, plastic, metal and glass. Let store managers and manufacturers know you want products with minimal or recyclable packaging.
6. Let polluters pay
Carbon taxes make polluting activities more expensive and green solutions more affordable, allowing energy-efficient businesses and households to save money. They are one of the most effective ways to reduce Canada's climate impact. If your province doesn't have a carbon tax, ask your premier and MLA to implement one.
7. Fly less
Air travel leaves behind a huge carbon footprint. Before you book your next airline ticket, consider greener options such as buses or trains, or try vacationing closer to home. You can also stay in touch with people by videoconferencing, which saves time as well as travel and accommodation costs.
8. Get informed
Follow the latest news about climate change. Join our community. Host a presentation for your community or workplace by requesting a presenter trained by Al Gore from The Climate Project Canada.
9. Get involved
Take a few minutes to contact your political representatives and the media to tell them you want immediate action on climate change. Remind them that reducing greenhouse gas emissions will also build healthier communities, spur economic innovation and create new jobs. And next time you're at the polls, vote for politicians who support effective climate policies.
T R O L L !!!!!!!!!
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#43898 Feb 26, 2014
A co-founder of Greenpeace told lawmakers there is no evidence man is contributing to climate change, and said he left the group when it became more interested in politics than the environment.

Patrick Moore, a Canadian ecologist and business consultant who was a member of Greenpeace from 1971-86, told members of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee environmental groups like the one he helped establish use faulty computer models and scare tactics in promoting claims man-made gases are heating up the planet.

“There is no scientific proof that human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) are the dominant cause of the minor warming of the Earth’s atmosphere over the past 100 years,” he said.

Even if the planet is warming up, Moore claimed it would not be calamitous for men, which he described as a “subtropical species.”

Skeptics of manmade climate change say there is no evidence the Earth is warming. A UN report on the scientific data behind global warming released in September indicated that global surface temperatures have not increased for the past 15 years, but scientists who believe climate change due to man is occurring say it has merely paused because of several factors and will soon resume.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#43906 Feb 26, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>translation: my attendance on this forum makes you become delusional.
peace, dolt!
How could you cause anything when your delusions are in charge of you?

LOL.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#43907 Feb 26, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

1. most of the warmies don't commute.. they get their unemployment check in the mail.
2. i have my suits professionally cleaned. what about that? i wish the warmies WOULD unplug their computers....and leave them that way!!
3. i'll ask them not to. i want reliable power whenever i need it!!
4. i eat what i want to, food nazi!!
5. how about 'trim your waist'? get off your asses, global extremists!! go exercise inseatd of worrying about such a bullshyt myth.
6. let's start with your garbage, hoser!! pay up. now!!!
7. tell that to michelle, barak, and al gore. last i checked they have more air miles than me.
8. isn't getting informed and al gore presenters an oxymoron?
9. warmies don't have jobs.....unless they work parttime at the pot boutique. asking them to start a business is way beyond their pay grade.
Yes, indeed, your delusions are in charge of you.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#43908 Feb 26, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>translation: my attendance on this forum makes you become delusional.
peace, dolt!
You failed in comprehension.

No translation needed.

BWAHAHA

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#43909 Feb 26, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>
1. most of the warmies don't commute.. they get their unemployment check in the mail.
2. i have my suits professionally cleaned. what about that? i wish the warmies WOULD unplug their computers....and leave them that way!!
3. i'll ask them not to. i want reliable power whenever i need it!!
4. i eat what i want to, food nazi!!
5. how about 'trim your waist'? get off your asses, global extremists!! go exercise inseatd of worrying about such a bullshyt myth.
6. let's start with your garbage, hoser!! pay up. now!!!
7. tell that to michelle, barak, and al gore. last i checked they have more air miles than me.
8. isn't getting informed and al gore presenters an oxymoron?
9. warmies don't have jobs.....unless they work parttime at the pot boutique. asking them to start a business is way beyond their pay grade.
Stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and yell lalalalalalala at the top of your voice and perhaps global warming will go away! LOL
John

Elk Grove Village, IL

#43910 Feb 26, 2014
Global warming is happening because the earth is being melted by all the refuse coming from Washington's elite.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#43911 Feb 26, 2014
(Reuters)- Hot weather extremes have increased around the world in the past 15 years despite a slowdown in the overall pace of global warming, a study showed on Wednesday.

Heat extremes are among the damaging impacts of climate change as they can raise death rates, especially among the elderly, damage food crops and strain everything from water to energy supplies.

"Observational data show a continued increase of hot extremes over land during the so-called global warming hiatus," scientists in Switzerland, Australia and Canada wrote in the journal Nature Climate Change.

A World Meteorological Organization (WMO) review last year showed that 56 countries reported a hot temperature record from 2001-10, while just 14 reported a new cold record.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/26/us-...
litesong

Everett, WA

#43912 Feb 26, 2014
Ag Professor University wrote:
2. Change light bulbs to compact fluorescents or LEDs.
7. Fly less
Air travel leaves behind a huge carbon footprint.
Found versatile swiveling LED lights that directed light exactly where I needed light. Those three LED lights consuming only 6 watts each, replaced incandescent lights swallowing 100 watts, each. Usage of the 3 lights for only 4000 hours each, saves 1100 KW-hrs of electricity & $100. Cool!!

Aircraft manufacturers have done much greater efficiency leaps than the auto industry ever could do or wanted to do. When leaving on a jet plane, take the most efficient ones, a behemoth Airbus A380 or the smaller, but more versatile Boeing 787, both with a "passenger-mile per gallon" equivalent of 90-100. A future second design Airbus 350 should be similar in economy, a first design which became obsolete before building, because of the 787. The older but great 777, gives ~75 passenger-miles per gallon, whereas the future 777x, should improve efficiency considerably. All present & future aircraft tremendously out-strip the old Boeing 707, which gave roughly 20 passenger-miles per gallon.
ron

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#43913 Feb 27, 2014
Extremes in weather is the thing to worry about

Forrest City, AR

#43914 Feb 27, 2014
Scientists are saying global warming is stalling do to all the volcanic activity. So is from the CO2 gas from the volcano or something else?
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#43917 Feb 27, 2014
guest wrote:
Scientists are saying global warming is stalling do to all the volcanic activity. So is from the CO2 gas from the volcano or something else?
You do know that people have been burning fossil fuels at increasing rates ever since the beginning of the industrial revolution in England. That rate is currently about 90 million tons every day.

The volcanoes happen to spew only a fraction of the man-made CO2 but there's more to the big picture. Lucky you because the link below is for a fresh report to answer all your questions:

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static-assets/e...

It was just published today by the American and British science academies. Hope you read it.
SpaceBlues

Desoto, TX

#43918 Feb 27, 2014
ron wrote:
Extremes in weather is the thing to worry about
Not the only thing. For example, in your part of the world, how about sealevel rise, hurricanes, fishing, and other things that you can read about at the new link:

http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static-assets/e...

which is published today as a report by the American and British science academies to respond to many questions the public has.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#43919 Feb 27, 2014
guest wrote:
Something else.

Try soot, ash, and sulfur.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min nanoanomaly 1,658,553
Steal from Poor to pay the Rich 42 min ThomasA 2
Did this work or not 1 hr Earl 2
Trump is A 1 hr USAsince1680 181
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr what a russsh 11,586
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr RACE 3,733
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr RACE 1,016

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance