Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 50,469
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43604 Feb 16, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What's no systematic change?
Clearly, you lie without facts. NOAA does this basic picture for people like you.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/imag...
See the ten indicators, seven going up while three going down..
Any questions?
you need help. with your life and your arguments.
weather events haven't changed. people just populate more of the earth now.
get it?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43605 Feb 16, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what some of the experts are saying. They say there's an increase.
Are you an expert?
some are saying the opposite. are you a left winger? just wondering.....i see a pattern with you people.....and you could care less about science.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43606 Feb 16, 2014
Get the facts straight wrote:
Carbon dioxide, considered the main vector for human-caused global warming, is some 0.038% of the atmosphere[1]- a trace gas. Water vapor varies from 0% to 4%[2], and should easily average 1% or more[3] near the Earth’s surface, where the greenhouse effect would be most important, and is about three times more effective[4] a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. So water vapor is at least 25 times more prevalent and three times more effective; that makes it at least 75 times more important to the greenhouse effect than carbon dioxide[5]. The TOTAL contribution of carbon dioxide to the greenhouse effect is therefore 0.013 or less. The total human contribution to atmospheric carbon dioxide since the start of the industrial revolution has been estimated at about 25%[6]. So humans’ carbon dioxide greenhouse effect is a quarter of 0.013, works out to about 0.00325. Total warming of the Earth by the greenhouse effect is widely accepted as about 33 degrees Centigrade or 59 degrees Fahrenheit. So the contribution of anthropogenic carbon dioxide is less than 0.2 degrees Fahrenheit, or under 0.1 degree Centigrade. Global warming over the last century is thought by many to be about 0.6 degrees Centigrade.
but there's money in taxing co2!!! they want us to believe fossil fuels are the evil doers to climate. funny that the religious zealots don't complain about agricultural irrigation.

very telling isn't it!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43607 Feb 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>you need help. with your life and your arguments.
weather events haven't changed. people just populate more of the earth now.
get it?
No, I don't get what you posted. You just say things that are irrelevant or wrong.

Extreme events, you are saying, are impacted by the increase in world population, right? How so?

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/severewea...

More people freeze to death because more people are skiing, huh? Gosh, where does this relate to AGW?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#43608 Feb 16, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>give proof that weather events are caused by man before calling someone a liar, son.
I did. You ignored it.

Vacuous troll.

"the green troll"

#43609 Feb 16, 2014
The UK floods are not just causing misery for thousands of people around the country whose lives and livelihoods have been disrupted. They are also making a few climate change sceptics hot beneath the collar.

No doubt they are finding it an uncomfortable experience to realise that their misleading attempts to inform the public into believing that climate change poses no threat to the UK are now being undermined by the irrefutable evidence provided by the record rainfall and storm surges.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/f...

"the green troll"

#43610 Feb 16, 2014
If it seems like the United States is getting more heavy storms and major floods these days, it's because we are. Global warming is partly to blame for these heavy rainfall events. Because warmer air can hold more moisture, heavier precipitation is expected in the years to come.

Now is the time to confront the realities of global warming, including the increasing frequency and intensity of heavy rainfall events across the country. We need to reduce the risks to riverfront communities. Important steps include discouraging development in flood-prone areas and protecting the natural systems, such as wetlands, that help to buffer against floods.

Recent decades have brought more heavy summer rainfall events along with increased likelihood of devastating floods. While no single storm or flood can be attributed directly to global warming, changing climate conditions are at least partly responsible for past trends. Because warmer air can hold more moisture, global warming is expected to bring more and heavier precipitation in the years to come.

http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildli...

"the green troll"

#43611 Feb 16, 2014
Climate change has contributed to a rise in extreme weather events - including higher-intensity hurricanes in the North Atlantic and heavier rainfalls across the country. Scientists project that climate change will increase the frequency of heavy rainstorms, putting many communities at risk for devastation from floods.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/climate/floods.asp

"the green troll"

#43612 Feb 17, 2014
Changes in many extreme weather and climate events have been observed since about 1950 (see Table SPM.1 for
details). It is very likely that the number of cold days and nights has decreased and the number of warm days and nights
has increased on the global scale6. It is likely that the frequency of heat waves has increased in large parts of Europe,
Asia and Australia. There are likely more land regions where the number of heavy precipitation events has increased than
where it has decreased. The frequency or intensity of heavy precipitation events has likely increased in North America and
Europe. In other continents, confidence in changes in heavy precipitation events is at most medium.{2.6}

http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/docs/WGIAR5...

LOL.

I guess a 1 in 250 year precipitation event is gong to raise the confidence of that last one from medium.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43614 Feb 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What's no systematic change?
Clearly, you lie without facts. NOAA does this basic picture for people like you.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/imag...
See the ten indicators, seven going up while three going down..
Any questions?
. No they no most Americans are braindead and the no it will be easier to brainwash children I'm suprised they didn't put a dead teddy bear with x's for eyes

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43615 Feb 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, I don't get what you posted. You just say things that are irrelevant or wrong.
Extreme events, you are saying, are impacted by the increase in world population, right? How so?
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/severewea...
More people freeze to death because more people are skiing, huh? Gosh, where does this relate to AGW?
we agree on something!!! you sure didn't get what i posted, son.

lol

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43616 Feb 17, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. You ignored it.
Vacuous troll.
there's no proof. it either does or does not......not could or might.

you missed that!

"the green troll"

#43617 Feb 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>Extreme weather events are ever present. There's been no systematic change found in that FACT.
"human-induced increases in greenhouse gases have contributed to the observed intensification of heavy precipitation"

"twentieth-century anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions increased the risk of floods occurring in England"

"irrefutable evidence provided by the record rainfall and storm surges."

"If it seems like the United States is getting more heavy storms and major floods these days, it's because we are"

"the increasing frequency and intensity of heavy rainfall events across the country."

"Recent decades have brought more heavy summer rainfall events along with increased likelihood of devastating floods."

"Climate change has contributed to a rise in extreme weather events - including higher-intensity hurricanes in the North Atlantic and heavier rainfalls across the country."

"Changes in many extreme weather and climate events have been observed since about 1950"
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>there's no proof. it either does or does not......not could or might.
you missed that!
No modal verbs there, lying troll.

Changes in exteme weather are an observable fact visible in many data sets, and science plainly says so.

No coulds or mights.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43619 Feb 17, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
"human-induced increases in greenhouse gases have contributed to the observed intensification of heavy precipitation"
"twentieth-century anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions increased the risk of floods occurring in England"
"irrefutable evidence provided by the record rainfall and storm surges."
"If it seems like the United States is getting more heavy storms and major floods these days, it's because we are"
"the increasing frequency and intensity of heavy rainfall events across the country."
"Recent decades have brought more heavy summer rainfall events along with increased likelihood of devastating floods."
"Climate change has contributed to a rise in extreme weather events - including higher-intensity hurricanes in the North Atlantic and heavier rainfalls across the country."
"Changes in many extreme weather and climate events have been observed since about 1950"
<quoted text>
No modal verbs there, lying troll.
Changes in exteme weather are an observable fact visible in many data sets, and science plainly says so.
No coulds or mights.
<yawn> FACT.. weather and climate are ever changing.
FACT....hurricanes last year were at 40 year lows in the U.S. last season.
FACT....no experiment has been conducted showing the effect man made emission contribute to weather or climate.
FACT....you believe in a theory 100% that science hasn't begun to demonstrate.
FACT....yours is a faith based belief......not science.
WeatherMan

Los Angeles, CA

#43620 Feb 17, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
If it seems like the United States is getting more heavy storms and major floods these days, it's because we are. Global warming is partly to blame for these heavy rainfall events. Because warmer air can hold more moisture, heavier precipitation is expected in the years to come.
Now is the time to confront the realities of global warming, including the increasing frequency and intensity of heavy rainfall events across the country. We need to reduce the risks to riverfront communities. Important steps include discouraging development in flood-prone areas and protecting the natural systems, such as wetlands, that help to buffer against floods.
Recent decades have brought more heavy summer rainfall events along with increased likelihood of devastating floods. While no single storm or flood can be attributed directly to global warming, changing climate conditions are at least partly responsible for past trends. Because warmer air can hold more moisture, global warming is expected to bring more and heavier precipitation in the years to come.
http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildli...
The winter storm this year reminded me of the 1978 winter blizzard. Somethings going on. We're getting these giant blizzards now every 36 years.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43621 Feb 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>we agree on something!!! you sure didn't get what i posted, son.
lol
I know, I know. You'd like to agree with me..

Give it a try and read what I posted for your eyes. Can your brain catch up with your eyes?

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43622 Feb 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>I know, I know. You'd like to agree with me..
Give it a try and read what I posted for your eyes. Can your brain catch up with your eyes?
you should follow your own advice, son! if you're actually able to do so.

lol
Professor Emeritus Fellow

Los Angeles, CA

#43623 Feb 17, 2014
John Kerry joins us:

“Together, the U.S. and China account for some 40 percent of the carbon pollution that is released into the atmosphere,” Kerry told Chinese workers on Feb. 15 at the Cummins Inc. and Beiqi Foton Motor Co.(600166) joint venture, which produces clean diesel engines.“It is imperative for us to work together.”

"the green troll"

#43624 Feb 17, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text><yawn> FACT.. weather and climate are ever changing.
FACT....hurricanes last year were at 40 year lows in the U.S. last season.
FACT....no experiment has been conducted showing the effect man made emission contribute to weather or climate.
FACT....you believe in a theory 100% that science hasn't begun to demonstrate.
FACT....yours is a faith based belief......not science.
Typically of vacuous trolls on this thread, when you can't defend one point you made, you make five more, equally vacuous.

SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43625 Feb 17, 2014
WeatherMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The winter storm this year reminded me of the 1978 winter blizzard. Somethings going on. We're getting these giant blizzards now every 36 years.
Are you studying weather?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,174,179
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr squirrel 1,348
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Red_Forman 5,389
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Rogue Scholar 05 183,926
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr RJS 7,917
BELLA ESMAIL MOORE are you ready to take a poly... 3 hr ROMEL ESMAIL 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Sublime1 98,999

Winter Storm Watch for Cook County was issued at January 30 at 3:35PM CST

Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News