Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60655 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

denier

Zion, IL

#43509 Feb 12, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> I ,think your a little clueless as to the understanding, of the natural evolutionary process of this planet. The fact it has taken millions of yrs to get to the point we are at, based on the natural alchemy and evolutionary process of the natural life cycle on this planet. We are more than ants, we are critical thinkers, we are at the top of the food chain, and we have manipulated the natural life cycle of this planet. to suit our needs, The very fact the global population has grown to 7billion, is because of our science and technology in both agriculture and medicine. It takes one man and one tractor to do the work of what used to take 100s of people, because of our pesticides and fertilizers, we are able to grow enough food for 11 billion. Our medicine has given us a very high success in infant births. We are no different than the animals we lock in our zoos. if natural selection is what you want than go shit in the woods with the bears. We are the only species that destroys the environment around them for self interest.
If we change the natural alchemy of water, my friend, we change the alchemy of all life on this planet. I don't know about where you live, but a high percentage of people die from various cancers, that are related to the very same chemicals that we use in our daily lives.The only real cure for cancer is prevention.
It is your choice to live in your bubble of ignorance, that doesn't mean the rest of us have too.
What about the beaver? I hate beavers!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43510 Feb 12, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>says who? people who believe government knows better?
I understand the USA is a republic, but the constitution was written for the citizenry . The people who drafted the constitution,did not wright it for the people of their times. It was written in the hopes, that America would become a true democracy, with a citenzry that understands, their responsibility to participate in a democracy. Governments role is the management of the interest of the citenzry. In Americas case, it is the freedom of choice,the liberty and equal justice for all,and equal opportunity. it is the management of infrastructure, public utility, resource management, regulation for public safety and health.,education,military and prisons,regulation and control of the monetary system
But of course this is not so much the case today, as we can see very easily the manipulation of self interest groups, such as OPEC, and the private banking, food industry, pharmaceutical and chemical industry, and the military complex corporations. And they are now manipulating globally..Most everything that was under gov. regulation and control has been privatized, they are now trying to privatize public education.
1) Get rid of the federal Reserve,it is a private banking of self interest. Bring back the greenback, a tool of trade and barter based on supply and demand of actual commodity (not speculation)and labour, regulated and controlled by gov., with no interest on the national debt.
2) Get rid of special interest and lobbyists from any kind of political policy or law making. Change the law the gives corporations the same constitutional rights as its citizens.
3) The most important, Democracy is the means in which the citenzry, by mutual consensus decides the means in which gov. is to be managed. And is only as strong as the participation of an informed and educated citenzry.. Government is not ,them and us, they are representatives of we the people. And if we the people are to busy with the bread and circus, the ones who know how to manipulate , will, as they have for centuries. It is we the people who give our trust that makes this system work, In solidarity with our votes, change is possible. The responsibility of change is all of ours.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43511 Feb 12, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the beaver? I hate beavers!
I luv beaver, it may have a different meaning here.lol

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#43512 Feb 12, 2014
It seems another vortex over England not unlike the one in the US. All this is perfectly normal weather of course to deniers!

"The political blame-game is in full swing over who is at fault for the current flooding crisis. But ministers debating local dredging operations in Somerset is a sideshow.
It will be a miracle if the winter of 2013-14 does not go down as the wettest on record – and frankly, it is difficult to see what could have been done to prevent massive disruption given the rainfall. But why is this happening?

The immediate answer is that the UK is “stuck” in a weather pattern – a common feature of our climate. But what is uncommon is the exceptional intensity of the rain and waves. There is a perfect so-called “storm factory” in the Atlantic caused by warm, moist air from the tropics coming up unusually close to the very cold polar air"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/climate-cha...
litesong

Everett, WA

#43513 Feb 12, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
"euro"....... military almost annihilated an entire race of people..
"euros" & "transplanted euros" (always in small letters, even at the beginning of sentences) poured off their continent, with new technology & destroyed 15,000 Native Tribes around the world, while destroying the cores, histories, & viable cultures of 15,000 other Native Tribes.

...... but they did god's(another small letter assignment) work.
litesong

Everett, WA

#43514 Feb 12, 2014
denier wrote:
I hate beavers!
The Oregon Ducks don't like Oregon Beavers, either.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43515 Feb 12, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"euros" & "transplanted euros" (always in small letters, even at the beginning of sentences) poured off their continent, with new technology & destroyed 15,000 Native Tribes around the world, while destroying the cores, histories, & viable cultures of 15,000 other Native Tribes.
...... but they did god's(another small letter assignment) work.
well yes, it is the history, but every nation or culture at one point in our human history has been the slave or en-slaver. And while I agree it is important to understand history, to learn from its mistakes, dwelling or pointing blame at people of today, is of no use, and really counter productive. the history of mankind is all of ours, good and bad. We are in the 21st century, it is time to put aside our piety indifference's, and understand we are one people , with one planet , that we all call home. there is no turning back time. It is time to move forward, and use the best of all mankind's knowledge for the betterment of all humanity and our environments.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Hampton, VA

#43516 Feb 12, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently you misunderstood the whole conversation. Where do you get Detroit as being head of anything , anymore. What Detroit was, was one of the largest industrial complex citys in the world. A thriving middle class, a diversity of people and business.And it was sold out , by private interest, for more profit. Causing the unions, to lose their power, taking away living wages. And in the end the corporation still won, as they just moved their industry, to countries and states with no environmental regulation or workers rights. The crime you speak of was and is caused by your inequality of wealth, and racial segregation.
Please stop with your ant-imperialistic propaganda.
Unions destroyed the city out of greed for wages for low skilled assembly line workers that made the American Auto unaffordable.
Crime is created by the handout mentality and commercialism shoved in your face telling you all the crap you want but don't need.
These thugs wear 400 dollar sneakers and complain they are poor? Reallly? No consequences for the crime so young punks head back out and do it again and again.
There are 1000s of folks that have stories of growing up poor and succeeding by hard work. My father being one of 10 kids coming from a depression era family that rose up to be successful.
Stop with the excuses for poverty. Most folks on the government dole get well over $44,000 in food and benefits so why work?

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Hampton, VA

#43517 Feb 12, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> I ,think your a little clueless as to the understanding, of the natural evolutionary process of this planet. The fact it has taken millions of yrs to get to the point we are at, based on the natural alchemy and evolutionary process of the natural life cycle on this planet. We are more than ants, we are critical thinkers, we are at the top of the food chain, and we have manipulated the natural life cycle of this planet. to suit our needs, The very fact the global population has grown to 7billion, is because of our science and technology in both agriculture and medicine. It takes one man and one tractor to do the work of what used to take 100s of people, because of our pesticides and fertilizers, we are able to grow enough food for 11 billion. Our medicine has given us a very high success in infant births. We are no different than the animals we lock in our zoos. if natural selection is what you want than go shit in the woods with the bears. We are the only species that destroys the environment around them for self interest.
If we change the natural alchemy of water, my friend, we change the alchemy of all life on this planet. I don't know about where you live, but a high percentage of people die from various cancers, that are related to the very same chemicals that we use in our daily lives.The only real cure for cancer is prevention.
It is your choice to live in your bubble of ignorance, that doesn't mean the rest of us have too.
Our intellect has propelled us to the head of the evolutionary chain! That is natural evolution so get used to it. We are superior to the rest of the creatures. They lose, right? After all, we evolved to win!!
Our self interest is our survival of the fittest. Again, earth doesn't give a crap because it will be here and the cockroach will dominate!
litesong

Everett, WA

#43518 Feb 12, 2014
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ", "middleofthedownwronggull y"]more extreme weather.....
compared to when?[/QUOTE]

Watching the weather radar as the "pineapple express" stabilized over Washington state, "hotspots" of pouring rain appeared on mountain slopes, hour after hour. By the end of the first day,~35 inches of rain had accumulated on one of the one to 2 mile square "hotspots". Returning to the weather radar the next day, I was surprised that the "pineapple express" was still focused on that one "hotspot". The accumulated rain had increased to 60 inches! By day's end, 75 inches of rain had fallen on the square mile or more 'hotspot" On the third day, "pineapple express" was still focused like a gun. By the end of the 3rd day, 110 inches had rained on the "hotspot". The 4th day showed a few breaks in the clouds, altho the rain gun still hammered that mountain spot. When the "pineapple express" finally moved, that "hotspot" had been nailed by 133 inches of rain.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43519 Feb 12, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the beaver? I hate beavers!
But the dinos did nothing wrong..

http://capeandislands.org/post/worlds-sixth-e...

Listen to it, also.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43520 Feb 12, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>Please stop with your ant-imperialistic propaganda.
Unions destroyed the city out of greed for wages for low skilled assembly line workers that made the American Auto unaffordable.
Crime is created by the handout mentality and commercialism shoved in your face telling you all the crap you want but don't need.
These thugs wear 400 dollar sneakers and complain they are poor? Reallly? No consequences for the crime so young punks head back out and do it again and again.
There are 1000s of folks that have stories of growing up poor and succeeding by hard work. My father being one of 10 kids coming from a depression era family that rose up to be successful.
Stop with the excuses for poverty. Most folks on the government dole get well over $44,000 in food and benefits so why work?
my friend, capitalism is redundant in a world of 7billion,with finite resources, only an ignorant fool would think otherwise. You can't even comprehend the recent social problems, let alone the history of it.. Do you even understand why the depression happened, the 2008 crash. How the manipulation and greed,in an unregulated monopolized speculative market works?The heirs to wal-mart have more wealth than the bottom 40% of the American population Less than 1% of the global population own and control over 50% of the wealth of the world and control and own over 80% of the resources..even in an unregulated system of Capitalism, money needs to flow, for it to work. How is this possible when so few hoard so much.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43521 Feb 12, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>Our intellect has propelled us to the head of the evolutionary chain! That is natural evolution so get used to it. We are superior to the rest of the creatures. They lose, right? After all, we evolved to win!!
Our self interest is our survival of the fittest. Again, earth doesn't give a crap because it will be here and the cockroach will dominate!
My friend, you haven't any kind of understanding, of science, evolution, politics , or the current social and environmental problems that face all of humanity. Your ignorant arrogance, is the kind of thinking that holds humanity from,evolving into a world of common sense, and responsibility.
litesong

Everett, WA

#43522 Feb 12, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
... it is important to understand history, to learn from its mistakes, dwelling or pointing blame at people of today, is of no use, and really counter productive...... understand we are one people....
But racists, proud racists aren't people. They have left such existence to dwell in the graves of the Living Dead, who proudly murder their own souls, so they are free to murder innocents. Many racists are proud of their history of racism, murdering & torturing. They remember the good ol' days, years, & millenia of death & rejoice in blood. Let racists, who are dead people, move from the Realm of the Dead into Life.

Whether stricken cultures & peoples forgive perpetrators or not, perpetrators who still want to perpetrate murder, terror & torture are the ones to continue dwelling in graves.......& do it proudly, dredging the past into the future.

Chastising stricken cultures & peoples for remembering, is to revisit the past & begins the process of dredging the past into the future. Most certainly........it is counter productive.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43523 Feb 12, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
But racists, proud racists aren't people. They have left such existence to dwell in the graves of the Living Dead, who proudly murder their own souls, so they are free to murder innocents. Many racists are proud of their history of racism, murdering & torturing. They remember the good ol' days, years, & millenia of death & rejoice in blood. Let racists, who are dead people, move from the Realm of the Dead into Life.
Whether stricken cultures & peoples forgive perpetrators or not, perpetrators who still want to perpetrate murder, terror & torture are the ones to continue dwelling in graves.......& do it proudly, dredging the past into the future.
Chastising stricken cultures & peoples for remembering, is to revisit the past & begins the process of dredging the past into the future. Most certainly........it is counter productive.
i totally understand, what your saying. And I've had many debate with so called racists from many different cultures . And to me,,it comes down to lack of education,propagated by stereo typical lies and fear., usually for self interest means, such as dividing the populace, on race, religion of monetary inequality.To create great distraction To more easily control the people.Almost every war in the last century and beginning of this one was started with a false flag, to draw the people into war, war is a racket and always will be. Millions of common people killed for the interests of a few. In my life time I was taught to hate Russians, Cubans, Vietnamese,Iraqis,Iranians, North Koreans, Communist Chinese, I personally don't know why,so then I read on my own , and discovered that I have nothing personal against any human being from any part of the world. That sometimes the very same things we accuse these so called enemies of doing, our own governments do the exact thing, and sometimes worse, as they are doing it in the name of America. And this pyramid of inequality is centuries old. It is the solidarity of we the people, when we all have general consensus and common goals,that are in the interest of everyone, will things evolve, past the point we are at now . Racism will end when we stop fearing each other, and teaching it to our children.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#43524 Feb 13, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>my friend, capitalism is redundant in a world of 7billion,with finite resources, only an ignorant fool would think otherwise. You can't even comprehend the recent social problems, let alone the history of it.. Do you even understand why the depression happened, the 2008 crash. How the manipulation and greed,in an unregulated monopolized speculative market works?The heirs to wal-mart have more wealth than the bottom 40% of the American population Less than 1% of the global population own and control over 50% of the wealth of the world and control and own over 80% of the resources..even in an unregulated system of Capitalism, money needs to flow, for it to work. How is this possible when so few hoard so much.
Jealous? Maybe if you got a real degree and a real job or own your own business you'd understand.
You must be the 47%? Yes?

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#43525 Feb 13, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text>My friend, you haven't any kind of understanding, of science, evolution, politics , or the current social and environmental problems that face all of humanity. Your ignorant arrogance, is the kind of thinking that holds humanity from,evolving into a world of common sense, and responsibility.
Who says mankind is suppose to EVOLVE into common sense?
Look at our government. They do everything void of common sense unless you think that is "normal".

Stop plucking your heart strings and using your "obvious" intellect and try a little common sense and especially your 5th grade science education.

You can do, I know you can.
denier

Zion, IL

#43526 Feb 13, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> i totally understand, what your saying. And I've had many debate with so called racists from many different cultures . And to me,,it comes down to lack of education,propagated by stereo typical lies and fear., usually for self interest means, such as dividing the populace, on race, religion of monetary inequality.To create great distraction To more easily control the people.Almost every war in the last century and beginning of this one was started with a false flag, to draw the people into war, war is a racket and always will be. Millions of common people killed for the interests of a few. In my life time I was taught to hate Russians, Cubans, Vietnamese,Iraqis,Iranians, North Koreans, Communist Chinese, I personally don't know why,so then I read on my own , and discovered that I have nothing personal against any human being from any part of the world. That sometimes the very same things we accuse these so called enemies of doing, our own governments do the exact thing, and sometimes worse, as they are doing it in the name of America. And this pyramid of inequality is centuries old. It is the solidarity of we the people, when we all have general consensus and common goals,that are in the interest of everyone, will things evolve, past the point we are at now . Racism will end when we stop fearing each other, and teaching it to our children.
Read the book, Behold A Pale White Horse by William Cooper itl blow your mind!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43527 Feb 13, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>Jealous? Maybe if you got a real degree and a real job or own your own business you'd understand.
You must be the 47%? Yes?
You must be a kid still, because it dosen't seem you have much real life experience, Your rebuttals are becoming desperate, a sign you really don't have much evidence to support your convoluted understanding of the world around us.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43528 Feb 13, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>Who says mankind is suppose to EVOLVE into common sense?
Look at our government. They do everything void of common sense unless you think that is "normal".
Stop plucking your heart strings and using your "obvious" intellect and try a little common sense and especially your 5th grade science education.
You can do, I know you can.
What part of government is we the people are you having a problem with, you sit and bitch about government and you probably have never voted, or read the American Constitution.
"The greatest argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation, with your average citizen." Winston Churchill.
And again you are rather clueless when it comes to science, evolution, or politics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Susanm 1,402,918
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Jacques in Orleans 219,202
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 50 min Ize Found 70,819
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr honeymylove 2,263
News Lots of Wheat But Not Enough Protein Sends Buye... 1 hr Bread and Diabetes 1
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 4 hr GEORGIA 2,840
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr GEORGIA 6,543
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr CrunchyBacon 103,111

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages