Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,593
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#43311 Feb 8, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed, but by the means of democracy. We the people in solidarity ,do have a choice to choose the ones who represent , we the people. We the people as a whole have to throw away, our outdated affiliated political parties,that have merged behind the scenes. Start looking for other alternatives, and demand explanation and understanding of ones political agendas.Ask those who which to lead, who they are going to have in charge of the different management rolls of government, before they come to power.
Get rid of the Federal reserve, bring back the greenback, a government tool of trade and barter based on actual supply and demand of commodity and labour, with no interest on the debt.
ban special interest groups and lobbyists from government, and change the law that gives corporations as much rights as a citizen.
And participate in government, and stop the bread and circus of self interest. The power of we the people is in our voting power, a general consensus decided by we the people, in the interest of the whole.
take care my friends, and thanks for all the fish
PS, and tax the rich, make them pay their share. If a free market is what we want, than money has to flow, how can this happen if less than 1% own (hoard) and control over 50% of all global wealth, and control over 80% of our resources. We are now paying more for bottled water than crude oil?

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#43312 Feb 8, 2014
Truth Facts wrote:
The oceans are becoming more acidic. This is grossly misleading. Mother Earth's oceans are highly alkaline, not acidic, and there is no evidence human emissions can cause Earth's oceans to become acidic.
As Brian would say, where is the experimental evidence?

A long-term (10 months) controlled experiment was conducted to test the impact of increased partial pressure of carbon dioxide (pCO2) on common calcifying coral reef organisms. The experiment was conducted in replicate continuous flow coral reef mesocosms flushed with unfiltered sea water from Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Hawaii. Mesocosms were located in full sunlight and experienced diurnal and seasonal fluctuations in temperature and sea water chemistry characteristic of the adjacent reef flat. Treatment mesocosms were manipulated to simulate an increase in pCO2 to levels expected in this century [midday pCO2 levels exceeding control mesocosms by 365 ± 130 &#956;atm (mean ± sd)]. Acidification had a profound impact on the development and growth of crustose coralline algae (CCA) populations.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s003...

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#43313 Feb 8, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
ropical cyclone accumulated cyclone energy (ACE)
has exhibited strikingly large global interannual variability
during the past 40
&#8208;
years. In the pentad since 2006,
Northern Hemisphere and global tropical cyclone ACE has
decreased dramatically to the lowest levels since the late
1970s. Additionally, the global frequency of tropical
cyclones has reached a historical low. Here evidence is
presented demonstrating that considerable variability in
tropical cyclone ACE is associated with the evolution of the
character of observed large
&#8208;
scale climate mechanisms
including the El Niño Southern Oscillation and Pacific
Decadal Oscillation.
http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_url...
In other words, low hurricane activity is due to natural variability and says nothing about global warming.
Having both an Engineering, Statistical, and manufacturing background (SPC), I would say those first two graphs in the study you referenced show a trend of increasing Acculmulated Cyclone Energy. From 1970 to 1990 only two points are above or at 600. After 1990 there are 10 pts above 600, with 3 above or at 800. There will always be fluctuation in any system, but anyone with a science background can plainly see the trend, its increasing

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#43314 Feb 8, 2014
Truth Facts wrote:
Now for the good news about our environment:
-- Over 5,000 real experiments, worldwide, prove the astonishing increase in plant, food crop, and forest growth as CO2 levels rise.
-- A NASA satellite, orbiting since 1979, collected data that shows that Earth has "greened" for three successive decades as CO2 levels have increased. This, despite our having paved everything in sight with concrete and asphalt and even clear-cut many rainforests. As we learned in the third grade, CO2 is what plants eat.
-- Additional CO2 should cause more robust habitats and ecosystems, food production per acre will increase, and less remaining pristine habitats will have to yield to the plow as populations increase.
Yes, plants like CO2 and the Earth has greened:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Glo...

Hang on! Didn't you deniers say human activity couldn't influence Mother Nature?

The problem is that the science says that as more and more CO2 is added to the atmosphere, the greening won't go on forever.

What the science really says will happen:

"...it would be nice if the next decade were as favorable for plants as the past two seem to have been.“Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing yet whether climate changes will continue to have a positive effect on vegetation productivity...”
Anonymous

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#43315 Feb 8, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
The hottest year on record was 1934*
* in the lower 48 states of the continental U.S.
"Globally, 1934 is not the hottest year on record, not even close. Not even close; the ten hottest years on record have all occured since 1990. And #1 is still 2005 (according to GISS) or 1998 (according to HadCRU; it’s really a “statistical tie”)."
http://tamino.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/before...
my co-worker's sister-in-law got paid $12019 the prior week. she gets paid on the laptop and bought a $391300 house. All she did was get fortunate and put to work the steps uncovered on this web site>>> ---------- www.ditjobs.com

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#43316 Feb 8, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Well said the problem is these politicians refuse to take their agendas to the citizenry.Let the people decide.That is not what's happening in our society today. When the citizens do get to vote and pass legislation an activist judge comes behind the citizens and rules against the people.Then you have a pres. ruling by executive fiat.Case in point,obozoscam should have been voted on by the people but it was not.It was rammed down the throats of the American people and sold to the American people on a pack of lies.Same with GW.
activist judges like the conservatives on the SCOTUS striking down campaign finance and gun contol laws or declaring that corporations are citizens.....
o
What is obozoscam....is anything like selling us a war based on a pack of lies.....
or maybe its selling us a prescription drug benefit on another pack of lies, that benefitted big pharma and not the average citizen.

the only idiots that deny global warming are paid by the Koch brothers, the oil/coal/gas industry and the gullible

anyone with a scientific background, and common sense can see the writing in the atmosphere and the climate changes
Anonymous

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#43317 Feb 8, 2014
my best friend's sister made $19668 the prior week. she has been making cash on the laptop and got a $424600 house. All she did was get fortunate and set to work the directions explained on this site ---------- W­W­W­.­D­I­T­J­O­B­S­.­C­O­M­

Location hidden

#43318 Feb 8, 2014
Lord Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
We have in the U.S. We have been cutting timber and repeatedly replanting it for hundreds of years. Environmentalist shuttling down tiber harvesting here were it was managed. Shifted to county's Thad did not manage their timber.Coal power plants shutting down coal production down. That energy supply is being replaced with CNG fracking. Which effect's on the environment may be just as bad if not worse than coal.
Yes I understand we have replanted ,but we do not replace it with the diversity we took from it. We usually only replant with trees such as pine, which have a 20-30yr growth rate. Where I live a city once referred to as the Forrest city, we have had to cut down 100s of thousands, of birch and elm trees do to Asian beetles. Sure we have a few century old oak and maple trees, but they are few in number,Your coal production has not dropped, it has grown. The demand in China for its coal plants which produce electricity for their manufacturing products, that are sold to the Western world is of greater demand than that of America, The USA has I believe, just over 120 nuclear energy plants. hydro electric dams. plenty of natural gas. They also have an abundance of resource North of the border.There is plenty of alternative besides coal burning electric plants. Even the ones in the southern states are kept open, more so because of local economy, than actual demand of the product. And as far as electrical needs go, why are we not using Geothermal energy.In Iceland, the means in which they heat their homes, and power grid is all derived from Geothermal energy

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#43319 Feb 8, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> PS, and tax the rich, make them pay their share. If a free market is what we want, than money has to flow, how can this happen if less than 1% own (hoard) and control over 50% of all global wealth, and control over 80% of our resources. We are now paying more for bottled water than crude oil?

No one is forcing you to by bottled water (Only health insurance) all that wealth is not sitting in a cave with the holy grail and guarded by bigfoot. Its in buildings houses businesses factories city's. Most of the current crop of billionaire's have pledged to give their fortunes away. No one is keeping you poor.

Location hidden

#43320 Feb 8, 2014
U.S. 2012 coal exports, supported by rising steam coal exports, are expected to break their previous record level of almost 113 million tons, set in 1981. Exports for the first half of 2012 reached almost 67 million tons, surpassing most annual export volumes dating back to 1949. U.S. coal exports averaged 56 million tons per year in the decade preceding 2011. If exports continue at their current pace, the United States will export 133 million tons this year, although EIA forecasts exports of 125 million tons.

Total U.S. coal exports, including both steam and metallurgical (met) coal, were almost 13 million tons in June 2012, surpassing April's record-setting amount by 0.2 million tons. June was also the third consecutive month of exports surpassing 12 million tons. The global economy has been slowing, especially in China, the world's largest coal consumer by a large margin. As a result, EIA does not expect coal exports to continue at their current pace. Exports in August, the latest data available, reflect some of the weakening global demand for coal, falling 2 million tons from the record June levels. While declines in export levels inject some uncertainty, exports remain elevated with lower August exports still 13% above August 2011 levels. As a result, 2012 is still expected to surpass the 1981 record.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43321 Feb 8, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed, but by the means of democracy. We the people in solidarity ,do have a choice to choose the ones who represent , we the people. We the people as a whole have to throw away, our outdated affiliated political parties,that have merged behind the scenes. Start looking for other alternatives, and demand explanation and understanding of ones political agendas.Ask those who which to lead, who they are going to have in charge of the different management rolls of government, before they come to power.
Get rid of the Federal reserve, bring back the greenback, a government tool of trade and barter based on actual supply and demand of commodity and labour, with no interest on the debt.
ban special interest groups and lobbyists from government, and change the law that gives corporations as much rights as a citizen.
And participate in government, and stop the bread and circus of self interest. The power of we the people is in our voting power, a general consensus decided by we the people, in the interest of the whole.
take care my friends, and thanks for all the fish
you make a lot of sense I have to say more than anyone on this forum!

Location hidden

#43322 Feb 8, 2014
Lord Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is forcing you to by bottled water (Only health insurance) all that wealth is not sitting in a cave with the holy grail and guarded by bigfoot. Its in buildings houses businesses factories city's. Most of the current crop of billionaire's have pledged to give their fortunes away. No one is keeping you poor.
I have never bought bottled water in my life, and refuse to do so.And yes most of the worlds monetary wealth , is of digital wealth, stocks and bonds. There are more gold shares than actual commodity of gold? China has been buying the national debt in lue of government bonds.Which means the infrastructure of government, the land and buildings are in hock.

Location hidden

#43323 Feb 8, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I understand we have replanted ,but we do not replace it with the diversity we took from it. We usually only replant with trees such as pine, which have a 20-30yr growth rate. Where I live a city once referred to as the Forrest city, we have had to cut down 100s of thousands, of birch and elm trees do to Asian beetles. Sure we have a few century old oak and maple trees, but they are few in number,Your coal production has not dropped, it has grown. The demand in China for its coal plants which produce electricity for their manufacturing products, that are sold to the Western world is of greater demand than that of America, The USA has I believe, just over 120 nuclear energy plants. hydro electric dams. plenty of natural gas. They also have an abundance of resource North of the border.There is plenty of alternative besides coal burning electric plants. Even the ones in the southern states are kept open, more so because of local economy, than actual demand of the product. And as far as electrical needs go, why are we not using Geothermal energy.In Iceland, the means in which they heat their homes, and power grid is all derived from Geothermal energy
Other countries do not replant their timber. They clear cut and send the lumber here. So by shutting down timber harvesting here we caused more environmental damage. Hydro power in the U.S. Is in decline thanks to environmentalist. Geothermal is great. I have a friend in Idaho who heats his house from a hot spring as well as a outdoor year round pool.
. All the energy and time and money spent here in the U.S. trying to clean us up would be better spent in other countries trying to clean them up (China,India,Russia,Africa) those are the real polluting countries. But that won't happen because that would be hard and requires real effort and a bullet proof vest.

Location hidden

#43324 Feb 8, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text> you make a lot of sense I have to say more than anyone on this forum!
thank you my friend. I try to be as unbiased as possible, to try and take both sides and find a common denominator of understanding.
truth facts

Sardinia, OH

#43325 Feb 8, 2014
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
activist judges like the conservatives on the SCOTUS striking down campaign finance and gun contol laws or declaring that corporations are citizens.....
o
What is obozoscam....is anything like selling us a war based on a pack of lies.....
or maybe its selling us a prescription drug benefit on another pack of lies, that benefitted big pharma and not the average citizen.
the only idiots that deny global warming are paid by the Koch brothers, the oil/coal/gas industry and the gullible
anyone with a scientific background, and common sense can see the writing in the atmosphere and the climate changes
Corporations would not be corporations without citizens.Gun control violates the second amendment,campaign finance is 1st amendment protection which by the way dummycraps take full advantage of.As soon as I saw your comment about GW I knew right then and there you were a nut case libturd.GW is a made up bunch of shenanigans by you tree huggers.A bunch of wacko birds that have manipulated and deceived for their agenda.Do something worth while like save a whale.

Location hidden

#43326 Feb 8, 2014
Lord Hater wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a couple have said they will give their wealth away. Buffet, Gates, maybe Oprah. I think what your missing is the fact, that billionaires and multi billionaires, those who control the banking and oil cartels of the world, their wealth is used for manipulation and control. That elitism is a sickness, and no longer relevant in a world of 7billion.That their wealth comes at the cost of the middle class and the poor who have no rights or power.I m not poor my friend, and I don;t need money and a big house on the hill to live a happy life. And I'm old enough to remember a time when, there was plenty of opportunity for those willing to put the effort in,That is not the case anymore, your average age for working at fast food places is 27, a high percentage of students who have completed a collage or university degree, have no full time jobs available, never mind the outrages debt they are in. There is no such thing as job security, or full coverage benefits, Some would like to see the minimum wage disappear. So I would like to know what you mean when you say, no one is keeping people poor and enslaved, in this system of servitude and debt?
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43327 Feb 8, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> thank you my friend. I try to be as unbiased as possible, to try and take both sides and find a common denominator of understanding.
I know it says denier but I no we have an issue I'm just sick of the years of talk no action we have scientists but they work for somone who's best interests are not with humanity. I'm no genius but I'm smart enough to see when money's involved ,it's pretty sad the way it works!

Location hidden

#43328 Feb 8, 2014
oneear69 wrote:
<quoted text> Only a couple have said they will give their wealth away. Buffet, Gates, maybe Oprah. I think what your missing is the fact, that billionaires and multi billionaires, those who control the banking and oil cartels of the world, their wealth is used for manipulation and control. That elitism is a sickness, and no longer relevant in a world of 7billion.That their wealth comes at the cost of the middle class and the poor who have no rights or power.I m not poor my friend, and I don;t need money and a big house on the hill to live a happy life. And I'm old enough to remember a time when, there was plenty of opportunity for those willing to put the effort in,That is not the case anymore, your average age for working at fast food places is 27, a high percentage of students who have completed a collage or university degree, have no full time jobs available, never mind the outrages debt they are in. There is no such thing as job security, or full coverage benefits, Some would like to see the minimum wage disappear. So I would like to know what you mean when you say, no one is keeping people poor and enslaved, in this system of servitude and debt?
We have a segment of the population that think's they are entitled have GIVEN to them whatever they want. So they squandered their education,lives,parent's money and now at 27 with 3 kids and no more of mom and dad's money they have to get a job and they are flabbergasted that McDonalds only pays minium wage. That's all 100% their fault.

Location hidden

#43329 Feb 8, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Corporations would not be corporations without citizens.Gun control violates the second amendment,campaign finance is 1st amendment protection which by the way dummycraps take full advantage of.As soon as I saw your comment about GW I knew right then and there you were a nut case libturd.GW is a made up bunch of shenanigans by you tree huggers.A bunch of wacko birds that have manipulated and deceived for their agenda.Do something worth while like save a whale.
Come on man, global warming is a fact, perhaps not totally the fault of mankinds actions, but a fact none the less. The fact we are getting colder winters with more snow, is because the polar caps are melting and migrating southward, Perhaps we are going through a natural cycle of a polar shift. There are plenty of variables, But global warming is a fact, and mankind's contribution is evident all around us, we have transformed the natural Alchemy of this p[planet. The very fact we have polluted every stream.lake and ocean,on Earth, the one common element that makes all life on this planet possible,(water), is a human action we have not yet seen the full consequence of. We can see all around the world places like Easter Island,Africa, Europe, Asia the middle east. Places where civilizations of the past had used up all there surrounding eco-systems, and have either had to start wars to take from those who had, or perished all together. Had the Europeans not come to North and South America, 500yrs ago and taken the bountiful resources for their own consumption, its hard to say if humanity would have made it this far.There are no more undiscovered continents left in the world my friend, The greatest mystery of Easter Island, is not how the statues got to the beach, but why an apparent civilized society, did nothing to preserve and manage their resources for future generations. as critical thinkers, we should not always have to wait before we think. Take care my friend, and thanks for all the fish.

Location hidden

#43330 Feb 8, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text>I know it says denier but I no we have an issue I'm just sick of the years of talk no action we have scientists but they work for somone who's best interests are not with humanity. I'm no genius but I'm smart enough to see when money's involved ,it's pretty sad the way it works!
The problem is not with the U.S. But that's were the easy money is on both sides.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Pops 1,144,235
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Yumpin Yimminy 68,798
Pierre de Coubertin And Emancipation Proclamation (Jun '12) 1 hr fukuda 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr wojar 180,954
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr JOEL 70,627
My true thoughts about this song. 4 hr WhyNotLookAtHer 3
Are you sick of Topix polls or do you vote? 4 hr TheyfuckUsAll 5
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance