Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 2,027)

Showing posts 40,521 - 40,540 of42,962
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

denier wrote:
<quoted text>I got six sock puppets at least I don't have al Gore's arm up my a$$ like you puppets
Hello dem! Why you hiding over here?
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
As expected, no truth or facts.
What that Kerry is a puppet?You are a patriot bozo or should I say parrot bozo.
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You ARE a sissy!
And a crybaby, too!
sissy and a crybaby huh? I'm pretty sure yall the crybabys buncha old a$$ burnt out hippies cryin cause it's cold out and cryin cause it's hot in the summer if you weren't huggin trees and hittin acid you wouldn't be so paranoid about the sky falling so crawl back to your cave and hit yourself with the club dum bass warmie !
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Hello dem! Why you hiding over here?
no I checked my list of sock puppets and dem ain't one of them?
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Are you tryin to say patriots are bozos or do they call u patriot also known as bozo?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

denier wrote:
Are you tryin to say patriots are bozos or do they call u patriot also known as bozo?
Who cares! You are a denier anyway..

bbc.com : Ian Joughin and Ben Smith of the University of Washington's Polar Science Center in Seattle analysed pictures from the German TerraSAR-X satellites to measure the speed of the glacier.

"As the glacier moves we can track changes between images to produce maps of the ice flow velocity," said Dr Joughin, the study's lead author.

In the summer of 2012, the glacier reached a record speed of more than 17km per year - more than 46m per day.

"We are now seeing summer speeds more than four times what they were in the 1990s on a glacier which at that time was believed to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, glacier in Greenland," Ian Joughin explained.

The researchers noted that summer speeds are temporary, with the glacier flowing more slowly over the winter months.

But they added that even the annually averaged speed-up over the past couple of years is nearly three times what it was in the 1990s.

Though Jakobshavn is now believed to be the fastest flowing feature of its type in the world, Prof Jonathan Bamber, a glaciologist from the University of Bristol, told BBC News that it might not be the fastest movement ever observed because some surging glaciers can flow very quickly for short periods (on the order of months).

The increasing velocity of Jakobshavn, located in the south-west of Greenland, means that the glacier is adding more and more ice to the ocean, contributing to sea-level rise.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares! You are a denier anyway..
bbc.com : Ian Joughin and Ben Smith of the University of Washington's Polar Science Center in Seattle analysed pictures from the German TerraSAR-X satellites to measure the speed of the glacier.
"As the glacier moves we can track changes between images to produce maps of the ice flow velocity," said Dr Joughin, the study's lead author.
In the summer of 2012, the glacier reached a record speed of more than 17km per year - more than 46m per day.
"We are now seeing summer speeds more than four times what they were in the 1990s on a glacier which at that time was believed to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, glacier in Greenland," Ian Joughin explained.
The researchers noted that summer speeds are temporary, with the glacier flowing more slowly over the winter months.
But they added that even the annually averaged speed-up over the past couple of years is nearly three times what it was in the 1990s.
Though Jakobshavn is now believed to be the fastest flowing feature of its type in the world, Prof Jonathan Bamber, a glaciologist from the University of Bristol, told BBC News that it might not be the fastest movement ever observed because some surging glaciers can flow very quickly for short periods (on the order of months).
The increasing velocity of Jakobshavn, located in the south-west of Greenland, means that the glacier is adding more and more ice to the ocean, contributing to sea-level rise.
Feel free to set me right.
If the glacial is moving fast and dropping into the ocean. Is not the ice being replaced at the back end with new ice?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

Lord Hater wrote:
<quoted text> Feel free to set me right.
If the glacial is moving fast and dropping into the ocean. Is not the ice being replaced at the back end with new ice?
Abstract. We have extended the record of flow speed on Jakobshavn Isbræ through the summer of 2013. These new data reveal large seasonal speedups, 30 to 50% larger than previous summers. At a point a few kilometres inland from the terminus, the mean annual speed for 2012 is nearly three times as large as that in the mid 1990s, while the peak summer speeds are more than a factor of 4 greater. These speeds were achieved as the glacier terminus retreated to the bottom of an overdeepened basin with a depth of ~ 1300 m below sea level. While retreat may slow slightly as the terminus retreats farther – to a moderate rise in the bed – it is likely to reach the deepest section of the trough within a few decades, at which point it should rapidly retreat to the shallower regions ~ 50 km farther upstream, potentially by the end of this century.

What do you say?
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares! You are a denier anyway..
man I don't know you need to get out more I mean you ever been fishing or something your gonna drive yourself crazy living like this I mean I do understand and all bit really if u ain t bill f in gates or rich as all hell there ain't sh!t you or i could really do I recycle I drive a dam 4 cylinder to work you want us to ride horses I mean that would be cool but we would be goin backwards!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

Have you tried running backwards? COOL..

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Abstract. We have extended the record of flow speed on Jakobshavn Isbræ through the summer of 2013. These new data reveal large seasonal speedups, 30 to 50% larger than previous summers. At a point a few kilometres inland from the terminus, the mean annual speed for 2012 is nearly three times as large as that in the mid 1990s, while the peak summer speeds are more than a factor of 4 greater. These speeds were achieved as the glacier terminus retreated to the bottom of an overdeepened basin with a depth of ~ 1300 m below sea level. While retreat may slow slightly as the terminus retreats farther – to a moderate rise in the bed – it is likely to reach the deepest section of the trough within a few decades, at which point it should rapidly retreat to the shallower regions ~ 50 km farther upstream, potentially by the end of this century.
What do you say?
Sounds like a politician's response to a question, lot of talking but no substance.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

denier wrote:
<quoted text> man I don't know you need to get out more I mean you ever been fishing or something your gonna drive yourself crazy living like this I mean I do understand and all bit really if u ain t bill f in gates or rich as all hell there ain't sh!t you or i could really do I recycle I drive a dam 4 cylinder to work you want us to ride horses I mean that would be cool but we would be goin backwards!
One of the main points about clean energy as a business enterprise. It has the potential to have the same impact as the invention of the auto-mobile. But this gets totally lost on you deniers, despite being told over and over again. If fossil fuels were made accountable to the impact they have on the planet then there would be no more Solyndra failures only ongoing successes. The next Bill Gates could be some genius that invents a battery that's clean to manufacture and holds energy for months. It could be someone else that comes up with an easy fuel source, there are endless possibilities but they can only come about by making fossil fuel accountable for the damage done.
Pat

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Abstract. We have extended the record of flow speed on Jakobshavn Isbræ through the summer of 2013. These new data reveal large seasonal speedups, 30 to 50% larger than previous summers. At a point a few kilometres inland from the terminus, the mean annual speed for 2012 is nearly three times as large as that in the mid 1990s, while the peak summer speeds are more than a factor of 4 greater. These speeds were achieved as the glacier terminus retreated to the bottom of an overdeepened basin with a depth of ~ 1300 m below sea level. While retreat may slow slightly as the terminus retreats farther – to a moderate rise in the bed – it is likely to reach the deepest section of the trough within a few decades, at which point it should rapidly retreat to the shallower regions ~ 50 km farther upstream, potentially by the end of this century.
What do you say?
So what do you propose as the first most important thing to do exactly to stop and correct this climate change scourge?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

For those of you who wish to see the now famous "polar vortex" this is what it looks like from a weather mapping super computer for Earth.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/iso...
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

The hippies must love that one psychedelic!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

denier wrote:
The hippies must love that one psychedelic!
Yeah I am sure you deniers would have it as a bedside lamp if it was marketed. I mean anything to take away from the warming argument has got to be worth the expense.
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2014

Judged:

What do you mean I'm still here?
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2014

Judged:

And the hippies did market it it's called a lava lamp!
al gore

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2014

Judged:

Carbon credits for sale get em while there hot!
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2014

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
For those of you who wish to see the now famous "polar vortex" this is what it looks like from a weather mapping super computer for Earth.
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/iso...
Exactly explains what I have stated for years. AGW enhanced warm fronts from the south are strongly pushing into the Arctic NP regions, outrageously warming the Arctic. Simultaneously & presently, the AGW enhanced extra energy warm fronts push cold Arctic NP air to the south onto Canada & the U.S. That is why Maine set its all time recorded low temperature in 2009 & many regions set cold weather records in Canada, U.S., Mexico & even Centra America.

While enhanced AGW warm fronts slammed cold onto the eastern U.S., air planes at 33,000 feet & above, caught powerful jet streams that accelerated their speeds to 800+mph.

Thank you for the wonderful presentation. Not only was the presentation full of science, all noted the wonderfully artistic elements of the compact, understandable & multi-faceted science.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 40,521 - 40,540 of42,962
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]