Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
40,501 - 40,520 of 46,236 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Everyone knows most of Canada was coverd by ice it came and went over time thus carving the lakes until a meteor strike which melted the ice thus filling the depression after a massive flood down the Mississippi river and out the st Lawrence
tim ob

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

im up here in Minnesota..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND SOME OF THE FRIKKING GLOBAL WARMING UP OUR WAY!! Were freezing our asses of here.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Mann/Morano debate, though Mann didn't agree to do a debate.

Mann is science; Morano is political.

Truth versus lies.

http://climatecrocks.com/2014/02/01/how-its-d...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

tim ob wrote:
im up here in Minnesota..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND SOME OF THE FRIKKING GLOBAL WARMING UP OUR WAY!! Were freezing our asses of here.
It already has. AGW enhanced warm fronts have been pushing hard into the NP region for the entire winter. High Arctic temperatures have been generally been high for 3+ months. Meanwhile, the excess AGW energy has been able continually to push cold Arctic air to Canada, the U.S. & low Siberia.

Yeah! You're cold because of excess energy in the atmosphere.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Truth Facts wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah and I watched a show last night where Charles Manson was ranting about GW.He's a nut case,your a nut case,and especially Obozo the clown.My money's on mother nature.Not some scam you clowns are involved in.
Of course find a Psyco that says climate change is real and that justifies your position of denial. That sounds logical Spock, Do you dismiss the 3 super cold storms coming your way that effects over 100 million Americans. 40% of all flights cancelled, transport to a stand still, how is this normal winter working out for you. Not to mention how many billion$ it costs, is this the adaptation phase we are in now ? Or just Mother Nature telling us how pleased she is.
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
It already has. AGW enhanced warm fronts have been pushing hard into the NP region for the entire winter. High Arctic temperatures have been generally been high for 3+ months. Meanwhile, the excess AGW energy has been able continually to push cold Arctic air to Canada, the U.S. & low Siberia.
Yeah! You're cold because of excess energy in the atmosphere.
. Long as I can remember Minnesota has always had COLD winters and my great grandfather who lives there and is in his 90s he said were a buch a sissys this ain't cold when I was a kid I used to walk to school 10 miles up hill both ways in the snow! Now I know we've all heard that before ,so excessive energy in the atmosphere is not the case for Minnesota sorry !
Sarah

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

John Kerry has solution to climate change. It's about time.
----------
( CNSNews.com )- Just as computer technology greatly expanded Americans' wealth in the 1990s, the clean energy market could do the same thing in the years ahead, Secretary of State John Kerry told the Munich Security Conference in Germany on Saturday.
He touted climate change as a societal challenge and an economic opportunity:
"The energy market that we are staring at--that is the solution to the climate change," Kerry continued. "Energy policy is the solution to climate change. That market, my friends, is a $6-trillion market today with 4 to 5 billion users today, and it will grow to some 9 billion users over the course of the next 20 to 30 years."
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

What a genius! Pretty sure we've already seen failure with solindra and the rest of the wasted investments, this oughta be great,maybe they should invest in catalytic converters for their mouths!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

denier wrote:
What a genius! Pretty sure we've already seen failure with solindra and the rest of the wasted investments, this oughta be great,maybe they should invest in catalytic converters for their mouths!
You ARE a sissy!

And a crybaby, too!
truth facts

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course find a Psyco that says climate change is real and that justifies your position of denial. That sounds logical Spock, Do you dismiss the 3 super cold storms coming your way that effects over 100 million Americans. 40% of all flights cancelled, transport to a stand still, how is this normal winter working out for you. Not to mention how many billion$ it costs, is this the adaptation phase we are in now ? Or just Mother Nature telling us how pleased she is.
Hey a new concept for you warmer kooks.It's called WINTER.My monies on mother nature.Not some scam,created by man.
truth facts

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You ARE a sissy!
And a crybaby, too!
No the only cry babies here are you clown warmers.When people don't buy the snake oil your selling you pitch fits like little sissies.
truth facts

Sardinia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

Sarah wrote:
John Kerry has solution to climate change. It's about time.
----------
( CNSNews.com )- Just as computer technology greatly expanded Americans' wealth in the 1990s, the clean energy market could do the same thing in the years ahead, Secretary of State John Kerry told the Munich Security Conference in Germany on Saturday.
He touted climate change as a societal challenge and an economic opportunity:
"The energy market that we are staring at--that is the solution to the climate change," Kerry continued. "Energy policy is the solution to climate change. That market, my friends, is a $6-trillion market today with 4 to 5 billion users today, and it will grow to some 9 billion users over the course of the next 20 to 30 years."
John Kerry is a puppet.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>John Kerry is a puppet.
As expected, no truth or facts.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

denier wrote:
<quoted text>I got six sock puppets at least I don't have al Gore's arm up my a$$ like you puppets
Hello dem! Why you hiding over here?
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
As expected, no truth or facts.
What that Kerry is a puppet?You are a patriot bozo or should I say parrot bozo.
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You ARE a sissy!
And a crybaby, too!
sissy and a crybaby huh? I'm pretty sure yall the crybabys buncha old a$$ burnt out hippies cryin cause it's cold out and cryin cause it's hot in the summer if you weren't huggin trees and hittin acid you wouldn't be so paranoid about the sky falling so crawl back to your cave and hit yourself with the club dum bass warmie !
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Hello dem! Why you hiding over here?
no I checked my list of sock puppets and dem ain't one of them?
denier

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Are you tryin to say patriots are bozos or do they call u patriot also known as bozo?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

denier wrote:
Are you tryin to say patriots are bozos or do they call u patriot also known as bozo?
Who cares! You are a denier anyway..

bbc.com : Ian Joughin and Ben Smith of the University of Washington's Polar Science Center in Seattle analysed pictures from the German TerraSAR-X satellites to measure the speed of the glacier.

"As the glacier moves we can track changes between images to produce maps of the ice flow velocity," said Dr Joughin, the study's lead author.

In the summer of 2012, the glacier reached a record speed of more than 17km per year - more than 46m per day.

"We are now seeing summer speeds more than four times what they were in the 1990s on a glacier which at that time was believed to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, glacier in Greenland," Ian Joughin explained.

The researchers noted that summer speeds are temporary, with the glacier flowing more slowly over the winter months.

But they added that even the annually averaged speed-up over the past couple of years is nearly three times what it was in the 1990s.

Though Jakobshavn is now believed to be the fastest flowing feature of its type in the world, Prof Jonathan Bamber, a glaciologist from the University of Bristol, told BBC News that it might not be the fastest movement ever observed because some surging glaciers can flow very quickly for short periods (on the order of months).

The increasing velocity of Jakobshavn, located in the south-west of Greenland, means that the glacier is adding more and more ice to the ocean, contributing to sea-level rise.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares! You are a denier anyway..
bbc.com : Ian Joughin and Ben Smith of the University of Washington's Polar Science Center in Seattle analysed pictures from the German TerraSAR-X satellites to measure the speed of the glacier.
"As the glacier moves we can track changes between images to produce maps of the ice flow velocity," said Dr Joughin, the study's lead author.
In the summer of 2012, the glacier reached a record speed of more than 17km per year - more than 46m per day.
"We are now seeing summer speeds more than four times what they were in the 1990s on a glacier which at that time was believed to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest, glacier in Greenland," Ian Joughin explained.
The researchers noted that summer speeds are temporary, with the glacier flowing more slowly over the winter months.
But they added that even the annually averaged speed-up over the past couple of years is nearly three times what it was in the 1990s.
Though Jakobshavn is now believed to be the fastest flowing feature of its type in the world, Prof Jonathan Bamber, a glaciologist from the University of Bristol, told BBC News that it might not be the fastest movement ever observed because some surging glaciers can flow very quickly for short periods (on the order of months).
The increasing velocity of Jakobshavn, located in the south-west of Greenland, means that the glacier is adding more and more ice to the ocean, contributing to sea-level rise.
Feel free to set me right.
If the glacial is moving fast and dropping into the ocean. Is not the ice being replaced at the back end with new ice?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min LRS 176,789
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nah 1,095,987
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 24 min Ratloder 68,294
Amy 8-21 1 hr Toj 12
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Toj 97,823
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Doug77 4,636
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Concerned_American 320

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search