Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 20 comments on the Dec 14, 2008, Newsday story titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43107 Feb 2, 2014
One more point.. Enlist Lindzen in this course, MIT guys.. His education must be local..

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Lindzen_Illus...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#43108 Feb 2, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text> To another poster:

what makes you think well all be dead and you wont?
You are too funny.. and irresponsible.
truth facts

Sardinia, OH

#43109 Feb 2, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text> what makes you think well all be dead and you wont?
Because it sprinkled fairy dust on it's self and won't be effected.
truth facts

Sardinia, OH

#43110 Feb 2, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text>I got six sock puppets at least I don't have al Gore's arm up my a$$ like you puppets
HeHeHeHe now that was funny.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43111 Feb 2, 2014
You dam warmies realize scince is what supposedly got us into your supposed global warming mess, the scince of steel production, the science of combustion engines ,the science of power production ,the scince of global communication, and I don't need to continue you know, so it's gonna take more than some hacked graph from the supposed creaters of this crap to pursuade us , so copy and paste your intelligence some more call us some names tell us were uneducated we've heard it before and well hear it again
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#43112 Feb 2, 2014
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
That turns out to be not the case, CavePerson. This is the SPOT price. The price on the 'auction block' for the 'last kilowatts' from whomever can supply it to meet demand.
BASELOAD power is down under a dime but if you are 50 kw short, you will pay MUCHO DINEROs for that last little bit. This is what ENRON did in California. Gamed the spot market by shutting down capacity to make a 'shortfall' then selling at big bucks on the spot market to start them up again.
Even in good times, you find spot prices in the $50 per kwh range. And that all gets lumped together in the retail price. A small amount of very expensive power with a large amount of cheap power. One reason that the 'coal vs solar' cost comparison is apples and oranges.
I saw the spot notation and understood it, but I still couldn't believe it!
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#43113 Feb 2, 2014
denier wrote:
You dam warmies realize scince is what supposedly got us into your supposed global warming mess, the scince of steel production, the science of combustion engines ,the science of power production ,the scince of global communication, and I don't need to continue you know, so it's gonna take more than some hacked graph from the supposed creaters of this crap to pursuade us , so copy and paste your intelligence some more call us some names tell us were uneducated we've heard it before and well hear it again
Your spelling is atrocious but I welcome you as a fellow Luddite.

Kill the scientists!

Shut down the labs!

Destroy the Machine!

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#43114 Feb 2, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your spelling is atrocious but I welcome you as a fellow Luddite.
Kill the scientists!
Shut down the labs!
Destroy the Machine!
from where I stand that's exactly what your backward minded crowd promotes
test

Overland Park, KS

#43115 Feb 2, 2014
test
Ggbbfhgfg

United States

#43116 Feb 2, 2014
Decota Dunn Jonathan berry just busted in stolen car.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43117 Feb 3, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are too funny.. and irresponsible.
trust me I know I'm funny ,but you wanna talk responsibility I'm a foreman for a crew of CIPP installers that travel around the country repairing failing infrastructure but thanks to my smart phone and WiFi I can still enjoy Topix any time I wish.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#43118 Feb 3, 2014
As most deniers on here seem to be addicted to simple answer for every problem then complex solutions for a complex world doesn't hold up in your fantasy land of "Pleasantville"
That's why the climate change warning is just too hard to take in, because it is so damn complex, it's just easier to dismiss it as a non issue.
For instance the stock market took a hiding today based on what most analysts say the cause is weather. The US big freeze has stopped people from spending and manufacturing is also down due to the same reason. Now in your simple world Climate change does not fit into this equation, its a non issue UNTIL someone breaks it down to dollar & cents value. Then you have this dilemma of making choices to either do something about it or put all your money on one horse(do nothing) and let it ride. Because in real terms by doing nothing you have NO idea how much this will cost you personally and the country in the long term. Which is precisely why those in the know keep ranting on about it, including the President.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43119 Feb 3, 2014
And if you follow the yellow brick road to the land of OZritz you can ask him for a brain cause this is the long drawn out way of sayin were dumb all us simple minded ,all our money on a do nothing horse buncha idiots when you probably can't even change a tire! Hey is that al gore behind the green curtain? Sounds to me like you got all your money on one "horse"
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#43120 Feb 3, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
As most deniers on here seem to be addicted to simple answer for every problem then complex solutions for a complex world doesn't hold up in your fantasy land of "Pleasantville"
That's why the climate change warning is just too hard to take in, because it is so damn complex, it's just easier to dismiss it as a non issue.
For instance the stock market took a hiding today based on what most analysts say the cause is weather. The US big freeze has stopped people from spending and manufacturing is also down due to the same reason. Now in your simple world Climate change does not fit into this equation, its a non issue UNTIL someone breaks it down to dollar & cents value. Then you have this dilemma of making choices to either do something about it or put all your money on one horse(do nothing) and let it ride. Because in real terms by doing nothing you have NO idea how much this will cost you personally and the country in the long term. Which is precisely why those in the know keep ranting on about it, including the President.
Yeah and I watched a show last night where Charles Manson was ranting about GW.He's a nut case,your a nut case,and especially Obozo the clown.My money's on mother nature.Not some scam you clowns are involved in.
What the

Los Angeles, CA

#43122 Feb 3, 2014
So the glaciers that carved the Great Lakes melted and disappeared?

Looks like global warming has already occurred which proves it's true.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#43123 Feb 3, 2014
Everyone knows most of Canada was coverd by ice it came and went over time thus carving the lakes until a meteor strike which melted the ice thus filling the depression after a massive flood down the Mississippi river and out the st Lawrence
tim ob

Miami, FL

#43124 Feb 3, 2014
im up here in Minnesota..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND SOME OF THE FRIKKING GLOBAL WARMING UP OUR WAY!! Were freezing our asses of here.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#43125 Feb 3, 2014
Mann/Morano debate, though Mann didn't agree to do a debate.

Mann is science; Morano is political.

Truth versus lies.

http://climatecrocks.com/2014/02/01/how-its-d...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#43126 Feb 3, 2014
tim ob wrote:
im up here in Minnesota..CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND SOME OF THE FRIKKING GLOBAL WARMING UP OUR WAY!! Were freezing our asses of here.
It already has. AGW enhanced warm fronts have been pushing hard into the NP region for the entire winter. High Arctic temperatures have been generally been high for 3+ months. Meanwhile, the excess AGW energy has been able continually to push cold Arctic air to Canada, the U.S. & low Siberia.

Yeah! You're cold because of excess energy in the atmosphere.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#43127 Feb 3, 2014
Truth Facts wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah and I watched a show last night where Charles Manson was ranting about GW.He's a nut case,your a nut case,and especially Obozo the clown.My money's on mother nature.Not some scam you clowns are involved in.
Of course find a Psyco that says climate change is real and that justifies your position of denial. That sounds logical Spock, Do you dismiss the 3 super cold storms coming your way that effects over 100 million Americans. 40% of all flights cancelled, transport to a stand still, how is this normal winter working out for you. Not to mention how many billion$ it costs, is this the adaptation phase we are in now ? Or just Mother Nature telling us how pleased she is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 37 min John Galt 1,220,919
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) 1 hr Cracker Jack 90
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr red and right 187,430
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Cold Front 69,715
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Whiny1 5,919
Important! 6 hr Vote 1
Dear Abby 4-27-15 7 hr mrs gladys kravitz 10
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]