Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 2,017)

Showing posts 40,321 - 40,340 of45,436
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Leahe wrote:
I am a democrat, but believe GW is just not happening. We just had a deep freeze to the tune of -20 degrees F. two weeks ago, and we are in for another. Also, the arctic "gained" ice this year, and many ice boats got stuck in the ice in Antarctica over Christmas. I believe in evolution, but not global warming. Al Gore did some good things as VP. However, when he was desribing GW in 1994, and 1996, we had the same brutal winter.
Cooling?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/gaJJtS_WDmI
Jamaal

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Blah blah.. so what?
Explain this:
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/nma...
A lot of that data has been seriously questioned and discounted due to the lack of reliability of the early thermometers. Sometimes they got stuck, broken or were shaded by trees one year and the trees were cut down in the following year exposing the thermometer directly to the sun.

Have you seen this?

http://www.georgeglazer.com/decarts/instrumen...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

Jamaal wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this?
http://www.georgeglazer.com/decarts/instrumen...
No, I haven't. I hope they find it..

:-)

P.S. This poster under different names flashes the same item. Trying to sell it, huh?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

When you see ignorant posts on here about thermometers & "I am a democrat" but I am a denier. I mean WTF has politics got to do with warming I don't know and what does it matter about great grandpa's thermometer. Ice drilling can go back back 1000's of years to determine temps & air quality anyway so science doesn't need it either.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice...

This ignorance about warming doesn't change the outcome, having ships trapped in ice or 10ft of snow in your drive way is just weather. Climate change is about weather served up to you over a long period of time and what that means. Weather is HOT, COLD, FLOOD, DROUGHT or being BLOWN AWAY and our desire to live in a temperate zone where the extremes of the previous don't get served up every other week or year. Australia is coming into another week of heatwave & do you know how many people die because of that. I mean its a good way of getting rid of old people, and have various crops ruined. At the same time the US is getting another big freeze & it's the same damn effect. Do you desire this to be your normal weather for the rest of your life & your children's children to live in such a climate that YOU helped create. Because that is all science is saying, by NOT addressing CO2 emissions then this will be a threat to mankind and because of it's scale you choose NOT to believe the message. Why ?????..... and what is even sadder that just a slight change in your own lifestyle could make a difference.
I mean this is how crazy your logic is, if NASA scientists told you there was a large asteroid heading towards Earth to destroy our planet would get your bucket list out or just say they got the calcs wrong the same as you are saying here. Also in making that statement have no factual proof they have their calcs wrong just a gut feeling because of those built in filters in your brain that doesn't want to believe the message. Exactly the same when the doctor says you have cancer and you do nothing about it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Extract from National Monitor:
"Drought in Southern California, epic freezes in the Southeast, is it the coming apocalypse? Not yet, but it might appear that way over the next century, thanks in part to increasingly extreme El Nino events forecasted for the next while.

According to an international team of researchers, this El Nino weather pattern is expected to occur every decade or so, double the frequency it used to be in the last century.

The report was published in the journal Nature Climate Change. The paper involved an analysis of 20 climate models that simulated extreme rainfall.

“This latest research based on rainfall patterns suggests that extreme El Ninoevents are likely to double in frequency as the world warms, leading to direct impacts on extreme weather events worldwide,” Cai concluded"

http://natmonitor.com/2014/01/26/el-nino-stor...
Jamaal

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

OzRitz wrote:
When you see ignorant posts on here about thermometers & "I am a democrat" but I am a denier. I mean WTF has politics got to do with warming I don't know and what does it matter about great grandpa's thermometer. Ice drilling can go back back 1000's of years to determine temps & air quality anyway so science doesn't need it either.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice...
This ignorance about warming doesn't change the outcome, having ships trapped in ice or 10ft of snow in your drive way is just weather. Climate change is about weather served up to you over a long period of time and what that means. Weather is HOT, COLD, FLOOD, DROUGHT or being BLOWN AWAY and our desire to live in a temperate zone where the extremes of the previous don't get served up every other week or year. Australia is coming into another week of heatwave & do you know how many people die because of that. I mean its a good way of getting rid of old people, and have various crops ruined. At the same time the US is getting another big freeze & it's the same damn effect. Do you desire this to be your normal weather for the rest of your life & your children's children to live in such a climate that YOU helped create. Because that is all science is saying, by NOT addressing CO2 emissions then this will be a threat to mankind and because of it's scale you choose NOT to believe the message. Why ?????..... and what is even sadder that just a slight change in your own lifestyle could make a difference.
I mean this is how crazy your logic is, if NASA scientists told you there was a large asteroid heading towards Earth to destroy our planet would get your bucket list out or just say they got the calcs wrong the same as you are saying here. Also in making that statement have no factual proof they have their calcs wrong just a gut feeling because of those built in filters in your brain that doesn't want to believe the message. Exactly the same when the doctor says you have cancer and you do nothing about it.
You're not ready to throw old fashioned temperature data collection of the late 19th century and the early 20th Century under the bus in favor of ice core data, are you? Instrumentation is everything. My great grandfather always said for him and his coworkers there was never enough time to do the scheduled calibration of the data collection thermometers. That was mostly in and around St. Louis and Cincinnati.
horsecrud

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

"Globalization" warming is bs that was created by the global powers to take control of the world's resources all your silly graphs and charts don't mean jack cause the powers that made this garbage up created them you people will believe anything it's pretty sad
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

Hearsay about the good ol' days stinks!
Leahe

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
In the video, I did see a cooling trend in the late 60's thru 70's. It feels like it is cooling back down right now. I think temperatures fluctuate. If the planet was really as red as seen in video, we wouldn't have to look forward to a morning commute in -20 degree temps (wind chill not included) as I will have to tomorrow. I am not looking forward to this at all! Last year we had a long snowy cold winter as well. It dumped a foot of snow in Minnesota in May!
Leahe

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

horsecrud wrote:
"Globalization" warming is bs that was created by the global powers to take control of the world's resources all your silly graphs and charts don't mean jack cause the powers that made this garbage up created them you people will believe anything it's pretty sad
If there was global warming, we wouldn't have to look forward to minus 20 degree mornings for our commute to work like we have to tomorrow. This has been a horrid winter so far. At least they will open the back door of the work building to to the parking lot, so we don't have to trek too far. I need my tautun. LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Jamaal wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not ready to throw old fashioned temperature data collection of the late 19th century and the early 20th Century under the bus in favor of ice core data, are you? Instrumentation is everything. My great grandfather always said for him and his coworkers there was never enough time to do the scheduled calibration of the data collection thermometers. That was mostly in and around St. Louis and Cincinnati.
Of course not, because local data is important but it would not matter if grandpa had an instrument out of cal. The readings would be consistent and it would not throw out a trend on a graph over a long period of time. Declaring warming is in error because of a broken thermometer is as bad as saying warming is over because your taps are frozen.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Nike, which has more than 700 factories in 49 countries, many in Southeast Asia, is also speaking out because of extreme weather that is disrupting its supply chain. In 2008, floods temporarily shut down four Nike factories in Thailand, and the company remains concerned about rising droughts in regions that produce cotton, which the company uses in its athletic clothes.

“That puts less cotton on the market, the price goes up, and you have market volatility,” said Hannah Jones, the company’s vice president for sustainability and innovation. Nike has already reported the impact of climate change on water supplies on its financial risk disclosure forms to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Both Nike and Coke are responding internally: Coke uses water-conservation technologies and Nike is using more synthetic material that is less dependent on weather conditions. At Davos and in global capitals, the companies are also lobbying governments to enact environmentally friendly policies.

-NYT

“paybacks a mofo”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

None of you know nothing... If something was to happen major here us new yorker's would just panic and die.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

Do you drink soft drinks?

I personally could perhaps once a year and don't miss drinking soft drinks at all.

FORTUNATELY, guys

Environmentally friendly, energy-dense sugar battery developed to power the world's gadgets

The battery is also refillable and sugar can be added to it much like filling a printer cartridge with ink.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, I haven't. I hope they find it..
:-)
P.S. This poster under different names flashes the same item. Trying to sell it, huh?
A grass-roots effort to break all the thermometers of the past?

“paybacks a mofo”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

bunch of skito's and whack jobs
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

Leahe wrote:
I am a democrat, but believe GW is just not happening. We just had a deep freeze to the tune of -20 degrees F. two weeks ago, and we are in for another. Also, the arctic "gained" ice this year, and many ice boats got stuck in the ice in Antarctica over Christmas.
Warm fronts push hard into the high Arctic NP, with temperatures that have been over temperature for 140 days. Presently, while International Falls, Minnesota is -41degF, the high Arctic above the 80th parallel averages 11defC(20 degF) over the normal. The warm fronts strongly push Arctic cold unto Canada & the U.S. AND why you have cold toes in Wisconsin. In 2009 Arctic sea ice quantity melted in January with temperatures 14degC over the average, while the warm fronts pushed Arctic cold south AND Maine set its all-time recorded low temperature of -50degF.

As for the the SP, AGW scientists predicted in 2002, re-confirmed in 2005 & as you point out, that Antarctica sea ice would increase.

Democrats need to know science & understand truth, knowing that Wisconsin is part of the rest of the world & is affected by the rest of the world.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

Jamaal wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no information, just a longing for the good old days and a deep fear of the new.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

horsecrud wrote:
You have no information, just a longing for the good old days and a deep fear of the new.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2014

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A grass-roots effort to break all the thermometers of the past?
Don't know, seriously.

Gossip is cheap but recorded measurements are not in their hands. Past tobacco fight was similar in a sense because cancer takes about three decades to be diagnosed.

Wasn't it the courts that put the nails on the tobacco lobby's coffin? Courts are the focus again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 40,321 - 40,340 of45,436
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

92 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Gabriel 1,071,282
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 min PEllen 97,412
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min Frijoles 68,114
Amy 7-10 13 min PEllen 1
Abby 7-10 17 min PEllen 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,526
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 37 min TRD 67,522
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••