Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,495
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Jamaal

Fullerton, CA

#42927 Jan 26, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
When you see ignorant posts on here about thermometers & "I am a democrat" but I am a denier. I mean WTF has politics got to do with warming I don't know and what does it matter about great grandpa's thermometer. Ice drilling can go back back 1000's of years to determine temps & air quality anyway so science doesn't need it either.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice...
This ignorance about warming doesn't change the outcome, having ships trapped in ice or 10ft of snow in your drive way is just weather. Climate change is about weather served up to you over a long period of time and what that means. Weather is HOT, COLD, FLOOD, DROUGHT or being BLOWN AWAY and our desire to live in a temperate zone where the extremes of the previous don't get served up every other week or year. Australia is coming into another week of heatwave & do you know how many people die because of that. I mean its a good way of getting rid of old people, and have various crops ruined. At the same time the US is getting another big freeze & it's the same damn effect. Do you desire this to be your normal weather for the rest of your life & your children's children to live in such a climate that YOU helped create. Because that is all science is saying, by NOT addressing CO2 emissions then this will be a threat to mankind and because of it's scale you choose NOT to believe the message. Why ?????..... and what is even sadder that just a slight change in your own lifestyle could make a difference.
I mean this is how crazy your logic is, if NASA scientists told you there was a large asteroid heading towards Earth to destroy our planet would get your bucket list out or just say they got the calcs wrong the same as you are saying here. Also in making that statement have no factual proof they have their calcs wrong just a gut feeling because of those built in filters in your brain that doesn't want to believe the message. Exactly the same when the doctor says you have cancer and you do nothing about it.
You're not ready to throw old fashioned temperature data collection of the late 19th century and the early 20th Century under the bus in favor of ice core data, are you? Instrumentation is everything. My great grandfather always said for him and his coworkers there was never enough time to do the scheduled calibration of the data collection thermometers. That was mostly in and around St. Louis and Cincinnati.
horsecrud

Gurnee, IL

#42928 Jan 26, 2014
"Globalization" warming is bs that was created by the global powers to take control of the world's resources all your silly graphs and charts don't mean jack cause the powers that made this garbage up created them you people will believe anything it's pretty sad
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42929 Jan 26, 2014
Hearsay about the good ol' days stinks!
Leahe

Madison, WI

#42930 Jan 26, 2014
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
In the video, I did see a cooling trend in the late 60's thru 70's. It feels like it is cooling back down right now. I think temperatures fluctuate. If the planet was really as red as seen in video, we wouldn't have to look forward to a morning commute in -20 degree temps (wind chill not included) as I will have to tomorrow. I am not looking forward to this at all! Last year we had a long snowy cold winter as well. It dumped a foot of snow in Minnesota in May!
Leahe

Madison, WI

#42931 Jan 26, 2014
horsecrud wrote:
"Globalization" warming is bs that was created by the global powers to take control of the world's resources all your silly graphs and charts don't mean jack cause the powers that made this garbage up created them you people will believe anything it's pretty sad
If there was global warming, we wouldn't have to look forward to minus 20 degree mornings for our commute to work like we have to tomorrow. This has been a horrid winter so far. At least they will open the back door of the work building to to the parking lot, so we don't have to trek too far. I need my tautun. LOL

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42932 Jan 26, 2014
Jamaal wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not ready to throw old fashioned temperature data collection of the late 19th century and the early 20th Century under the bus in favor of ice core data, are you? Instrumentation is everything. My great grandfather always said for him and his coworkers there was never enough time to do the scheduled calibration of the data collection thermometers. That was mostly in and around St. Louis and Cincinnati.
Of course not, because local data is important but it would not matter if grandpa had an instrument out of cal. The readings would be consistent and it would not throw out a trend on a graph over a long period of time. Declaring warming is in error because of a broken thermometer is as bad as saying warming is over because your taps are frozen.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#42933 Jan 26, 2014
Nike, which has more than 700 factories in 49 countries, many in Southeast Asia, is also speaking out because of extreme weather that is disrupting its supply chain. In 2008, floods temporarily shut down four Nike factories in Thailand, and the company remains concerned about rising droughts in regions that produce cotton, which the company uses in its athletic clothes.

“That puts less cotton on the market, the price goes up, and you have market volatility,” said Hannah Jones, the company’s vice president for sustainability and innovation. Nike has already reported the impact of climate change on water supplies on its financial risk disclosure forms to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Both Nike and Coke are responding internally: Coke uses water-conservation technologies and Nike is using more synthetic material that is less dependent on weather conditions. At Davos and in global capitals, the companies are also lobbying governments to enact environmentally friendly policies.

-NYT

“Trick or Treat”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#42934 Jan 26, 2014
None of you know nothing... If something was to happen major here us new yorker's would just panic and die.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42935 Jan 26, 2014
Do you drink soft drinks?

I personally could perhaps once a year and don't miss drinking soft drinks at all.

FORTUNATELY, guys

Environmentally friendly, energy-dense sugar battery developed to power the world's gadgets

The battery is also refillable and sugar can be added to it much like filling a printer cartridge with ink.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#42936 Jan 26, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>No, I haven't. I hope they find it..
:-)
P.S. This poster under different names flashes the same item. Trying to sell it, huh?
A grass-roots effort to break all the thermometers of the past?

“Trick or Treat”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#42938 Jan 27, 2014
bunch of skito's and whack jobs
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#42939 Jan 27, 2014
Leahe wrote:
I am a democrat, but believe GW is just not happening. We just had a deep freeze to the tune of -20 degrees F. two weeks ago, and we are in for another. Also, the arctic "gained" ice this year, and many ice boats got stuck in the ice in Antarctica over Christmas.
Warm fronts push hard into the high Arctic NP, with temperatures that have been over temperature for 140 days. Presently, while International Falls, Minnesota is -41degF, the high Arctic above the 80th parallel averages 11defC(20 degF) over the normal. The warm fronts strongly push Arctic cold unto Canada & the U.S. AND why you have cold toes in Wisconsin. In 2009 Arctic sea ice quantity melted in January with temperatures 14degC over the average, while the warm fronts pushed Arctic cold south AND Maine set its all-time recorded low temperature of -50degF.

As for the the SP, AGW scientists predicted in 2002, re-confirmed in 2005 & as you point out, that Antarctica sea ice would increase.

Democrats need to know science & understand truth, knowing that Wisconsin is part of the rest of the world & is affected by the rest of the world.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#42940 Jan 27, 2014
Jamaal wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no information, just a longing for the good old days and a deep fear of the new.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#42941 Jan 27, 2014
horsecrud wrote:
You have no information, just a longing for the good old days and a deep fear of the new.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42942 Jan 27, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A grass-roots effort to break all the thermometers of the past?
Don't know, seriously.

Gossip is cheap but recorded measurements are not in their hands. Past tobacco fight was similar in a sense because cancer takes about three decades to be diagnosed.

Wasn't it the courts that put the nails on the tobacco lobby's coffin? Courts are the focus again.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42943 Jan 27, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>To another poster:

Is it not hilarious that these deniers don't know history? Those were the bad ol' days, really.

The civil war, racism, earthquakes, hurricanes, depression, world wars,.. Heck the automobil and telephone barely started a century ago and took a long time to become available to the common people.

Aww did his great grandfather get paid or not?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42944 Jan 27, 2014
-Sprocket- wrote:
bunch of skito's and whack jobs
How old are you?

No school today?
Breaking

Los Angeles, CA

#42945 Jan 27, 2014
"This is serious business"
==========
The Earth's protective field extends thousands of miles into space and its magnetism affects everything from global communication to animal migration and weather patterns

Experts believe we're currently overdue a flip, but they're unsure when this could occur.

If a switch happens, we would be exposed to solar winds capable of punching holes into the ozone layer.

The impact could be devastating for mankind, knocking out power grids, radically changing Earth’s climate and driving up rates of cancer.

‘This is serious business’, Richard Holme, Professor of Earth, Ocean and Ecological Sciences at Liverpool University told MailOnline.‘Imagine for a moment your electrical power supply was knocked out for a few months – very little works without electricity these days.’

The Earth's climate would change drastically. In fact, a recent Danish study believes global warming is directly related to the magnetic field rather than CO2 emissions.

The study claimed that the planet is experiencing a natural period of low cloud cover due to fewer cosmic rays entering the atmosphere.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#42946 Jan 27, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
No school today?
Of course not. It probably joined the nine touched, toxic topix AGW deniers who have no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc because they quit before getting a hi skule DEE-plooomaa.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#42947 Jan 27, 2014
Breaking wrote:
a recent Danish study believes global warming is directly related to the magnetic field rather than CO2 emissions.
Study led by Henrik Svensmark, long time toxic AGW denier, who grabs anything that comes along to throw against AGW.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min John Galt 1,126,452
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min jacques Ottawa 179,353
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 22 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,657
Abby 10-23-14 1 hr pde 2
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr J RULES 70,087
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Stina2 98,502
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Concerned_American 352
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance