Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,174
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#42905 Jan 25, 2014
thanks for the comedy, imbecile.

pssst......maybe you should change your moniker to 'limpsong'.

apparently you're a very young kid, so please try hard not to be stupid your entire life.

:-D
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42907 Jan 25, 2014
Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
My great grandfather said he used to use this type of thermometer.
http://www.georgeglazer.com/decarts/instrumen...
He's quite old now so I'm not sure if his memory is working well. He said it would get stuck once in a while until he would tap it with his screwdriver.
blah blah blah..

Are you worried about being like him?
Climate Scientist

Fullerton, CA

#42908 Jan 25, 2014
Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
My great grandfather said he used to use this type of thermometer.
He's quite old now so I'm not sure if his memory is working well. He said it would get stuck once in a while until he would tap it with his screwdriver.
The Draper thermometers are legendary and classic! Wish I had one on display in my lab.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#42909 Jan 25, 2014
OMG... Further PROOF that "cognitive dissonance" is a prerequisite for believing in CAGW.
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's never about controlling Mother Nature, as I said before it's trying to stop Mother Nature .../
:-D
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#42910 Jan 25, 2014
I suspect that this will remain my favorite quote for quite some time!
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's never about controlling Mother Nature, as I said before it's trying to stop Mother Nature /
...especially the part about "as I said before".
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#42911 Jan 25, 2014
Well, time to sign off... Gotta push all that Global Warming off the driveway so I can get out and enjoy the unprecedented extreme sunshine.

Stay warm my friends,

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#42912 Jan 25, 2014
If you think I even care your beautiful tropical island paradise is sinking under the seas; check it out. I've never seen you helping me adapt to climate change shoveling snow off my walk or drive way so why should I help you learn to swim?
truth facts

Georgetown, OH

#42913 Jan 25, 2014
Sad news for you global warming nut cases:
When Quinnipiac asked voters "What do you think should be the top priority for President Obama and Congress in 2014?" -- income inequality earned 1%, class inequality earned 1%, gun issues earned 1%, and immigration earned only 2%.

More bad news for a media desperate to further their Global Warming hoax through the dark art of portraying everyday weather as The Worst Ever, is that only 2% of the public see the environment as a priority.

2%,that's all? Gosh the way you nut cases go off the handle you'd think that it would be the opposite.We'll just sit back and enjoy making fun of you bozos.Mother nature rules, global warming nut jobs.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42914 Jan 25, 2014
B as in B S as in S wrote:
I suspect that this will remain my favorite quote for quite some time!
<quoted text>
...especially the part about "as I said before".
You're welcome, use the quote as much as you please but not half a sentence, the whole quote. When you cherry pick data like the song "baby, it's cold outside" or try and flat line the hockey stick graph, or tell us about grandpa's thermometer then we know you are on a hiding to nothing.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42915 Jan 25, 2014
In 2012—after writers for National Review and a prominent conservative think tank accused him of fraud and compared him to serial child molester Jerry Sandusky—climate scientist Michael Mann took the bold step of filing a defamation suit. The defendants moved to have the case thrown out, citing a Washington, DC, law that shields journalists from frivolous litigation. But on Wednesday, DC Superior Court Judge Frederick Weisberg rejected the motion, opening the way for a trial.

Although public figures like Mann have to clear a high bar to prove defamation, Weisberg argued that the scientist's complaint may pass the test. And he brushed aside the defendants' claims that the fraud allegations were "pure opinion," which is protected by the First Amendment:

Accusing a scientist of conducting his research fraudulently, manipulating his data to achieve a predetermined or political outcome, or purposefully distorting the scientific truth are factual allegations. They go to the heart of scientific integrity. They can be proven true or false. If false, they are defamatory. If made with actual malice, they are actionable.

Weisberg's order is just the latest in a string of setbacks that have left the climate change skeptics' case in disarray. Earlier this month, Steptoe & Johnson, the law firm representing National Review and its writer, Mark Steyn, withdrew as Steyn's counsel. According to two sources with inside knowledge, it also plans to drop National Review as a client.
Peace

Fullerton, CA

#42916 Jan 25, 2014
truth facts wrote:
Sad news for you global warming nut cases:
When Quinnipiac asked voters "What do you think should be the top priority for President Obama and Congress in 2014?" -- income inequality earned 1%, class inequality earned 1%, gun issues earned 1%, and immigration earned only 2%.
More bad news for a media desperate to further their Global Warming hoax through the dark art of portraying everyday weather as The Worst Ever, is that only 2% of the public see the environment as a priority.
2%,that's all? Gosh the way you nut cases go off the handle you'd think that it would be the opposite.We'll just sit back and enjoy making fun of you bozos.Mother nature rules, global warming nut jobs.
Just keep laughing and making fun of us. We will have the last laugh in about 10 or 30 years when this happens to you and rest of you deniers.

truth facts

Georgetown, OH

#42917 Jan 25, 2014
Peace wrote:
<quoted text>
Just keep laughing and making fun of us. We will have the last laugh in about 10 or 30 years when this happens to you and rest of you deniers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =w_1VnGp8LlsXX
At the rate of your so-called global warming multiply your figures by 100yrs then maybe people will see what your talking about.Until then I'm laughing my a## off at you dipshits.This is not a priority of 98% of America
Leahe

Madison, WI

#42918 Jan 25, 2014
I am a democrat, but believe GW is just not happening. We just had a deep freeze to the tune of -20 degrees F. two weeks ago, and we are in for another. Also, the arctic "gained" ice this year, and many ice boats got stuck in the ice in Antarctica over Christmas. I believe in evolution, but not global warming. Al Gore did some good things as VP. However, when he was desribing GW in 1994, and 1996, we had the same brutal winter.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42919 Jan 25, 2014
Leahe wrote:
I am a democrat, but believe GW is just not happening. We just had a deep freeze to the tune of -20 degrees F. two weeks ago, and we are in for another. Also, the arctic "gained" ice this year, and many ice boats got stuck in the ice in Antarctica over Christmas. I believe in evolution, but not global warming. Al Gore did some good things as VP. However, when he was desribing GW in 1994, and 1996, we had the same brutal winter.
Blah blah.. so what?

Explain this:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/nma...

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#42920 Jan 26, 2014
Leahe wrote:
Cooling?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/gaJJtS_WDmI
Jamaal

Fullerton, CA

#42923 Jan 26, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Blah blah.. so what?
Explain this:
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/nma...
A lot of that data has been seriously questioned and discounted due to the lack of reliability of the early thermometers. Sometimes they got stuck, broken or were shaded by trees one year and the trees were cut down in the following year exposing the thermometer directly to the sun.

Have you seen this?

SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42924 Jan 26, 2014
Jamaal wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen this?
No, I haven't. I hope they find it..

:-)

P.S. This poster under different names flashes the same item. Trying to sell it, huh?

Location hidden

#42925 Jan 26, 2014
When you see ignorant posts on here about thermometers & "I am a democrat" but I am a denier. I mean WTF has politics got to do with warming I don't know and what does it matter about great grandpa's thermometer. Ice drilling can go back back 1000's of years to determine temps & air quality anyway so science doesn't need it either.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice...

This ignorance about warming doesn't change the outcome, having ships trapped in ice or 10ft of snow in your drive way is just weather. Climate change is about weather served up to you over a long period of time and what that means. Weather is HOT, COLD, FLOOD, DROUGHT or being BLOWN AWAY and our desire to live in a temperate zone where the extremes of the previous don't get served up every other week or year. Australia is coming into another week of heatwave & do you know how many people die because of that. I mean its a good way of getting rid of old people, and have various crops ruined. At the same time the US is getting another big freeze & it's the same damn effect. Do you desire this to be your normal weather for the rest of your life & your children's children to live in such a climate that YOU helped create. Because that is all science is saying, by NOT addressing CO2 emissions then this will be a threat to mankind and because of it's scale you choose NOT to believe the message. Why ?????..... and what is even sadder that just a slight change in your own lifestyle could make a difference.
I mean this is how crazy your logic is, if NASA scientists told you there was a large asteroid heading towards Earth to destroy our planet would get your bucket list out or just say they got the calcs wrong the same as you are saying here. Also in making that statement have no factual proof they have their calcs wrong just a gut feeling because of those built in filters in your brain that doesn't want to believe the message. Exactly the same when the doctor says you have cancer and you do nothing about it.

Location hidden

#42926 Jan 26, 2014
Extract from National Monitor:
"Drought in Southern California, epic freezes in the Southeast, is it the coming apocalypse? Not yet, but it might appear that way over the next century, thanks in part to increasingly extreme El Nino events forecasted for the next while.

According to an international team of researchers, this El Nino weather pattern is expected to occur every decade or so, double the frequency it used to be in the last century.

The report was published in the journal Nature Climate Change. The paper involved an analysis of 20 climate models that simulated extreme rainfall.

“This latest research based on rainfall patterns suggests that extreme El Ninoevents are likely to double in frequency as the world warms, leading to direct impacts on extreme weather events worldwide,” Cai concluded"

http://natmonitor.com/2014/01/26/el-nino-stor...
Jamaal

Fullerton, CA

#42927 Jan 26, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
When you see ignorant posts on here about thermometers & "I am a democrat" but I am a denier. I mean WTF has politics got to do with warming I don't know and what does it matter about great grandpa's thermometer. Ice drilling can go back back 1000's of years to determine temps & air quality anyway so science doesn't need it either.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ice...
This ignorance about warming doesn't change the outcome, having ships trapped in ice or 10ft of snow in your drive way is just weather. Climate change is about weather served up to you over a long period of time and what that means. Weather is HOT, COLD, FLOOD, DROUGHT or being BLOWN AWAY and our desire to live in a temperate zone where the extremes of the previous don't get served up every other week or year. Australia is coming into another week of heatwave & do you know how many people die because of that. I mean its a good way of getting rid of old people, and have various crops ruined. At the same time the US is getting another big freeze & it's the same damn effect. Do you desire this to be your normal weather for the rest of your life & your children's children to live in such a climate that YOU helped create. Because that is all science is saying, by NOT addressing CO2 emissions then this will be a threat to mankind and because of it's scale you choose NOT to believe the message. Why ?????..... and what is even sadder that just a slight change in your own lifestyle could make a difference.
I mean this is how crazy your logic is, if NASA scientists told you there was a large asteroid heading towards Earth to destroy our planet would get your bucket list out or just say they got the calcs wrong the same as you are saying here. Also in making that statement have no factual proof they have their calcs wrong just a gut feeling because of those built in filters in your brain that doesn't want to believe the message. Exactly the same when the doctor says you have cancer and you do nothing about it.
You're not ready to throw old fashioned temperature data collection of the late 19th century and the early 20th Century under the bus in favor of ice core data, are you? Instrumentation is everything. My great grandfather always said for him and his coworkers there was never enough time to do the scheduled calibration of the data collection thermometers. That was mostly in and around St. Louis and Cincinnati.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 45 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,876
Some Valid Points 1 hr Rest of the story 1
How to make a woman squirtting 2 hr GuGu 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 181,710
im single black hndsome 3 hr ligolyser 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr shinningelectr0n 1,153,060
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 4 hr Silk 81
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info