Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60034 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42728 Jan 17, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Al Gore is a global warming hypocrite.
Take your snark back to the third grade, son.
As usual Al Gore's name again and why ? because he can use the same tools the fossil fuel industry uses to get his message across.
Hypocrite, I'll tell you what is, dummy climate research organisations on the pretence of saving the planet but what they are really about is saving their profits. Those same profits that YOU & I pay for on a daily basis. Yet we all help kill our environment by doing so, rather than spend our money elsewhere to give us a far better outcome. That is the ultimate hypocrite especially when you know what you are doing is wrong!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#42729 Jan 17, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware of the "controversy", but more interested in the admission of error on the part of the warmists.
It's such a rare occurrence in their "science". Why do you suppose that's true? That warmists never hold themselves accountable?... and only toss those under the bus who dissent from the "consensus"?
Yeah... there's some real "science" for ya.
Of course, the errors by M&M don't count. LOL
But the whole ball of wax still held up when the relative minor errors were corrected. Give it up. All you have are platitudes, nothing solid to negate the massive amount of evidence that global warming is occurring and that burning fossil fuels is a significant contributor to the warming.
Rahm Jizzbucket Emanuel

Oswego, IL

#42730 Jan 17, 2014
For all you global warming fecal stains, where is the walking abortion known as al gore? Hopefully he's finally been flushed down the toilet. Get a life losers! Better yet, get a polar bear skin for your wall.....they're look great!
SpaceBlues

Humble, TX

#42731 Jan 17, 2014
huh... The United States was the highest contributor, responsible for a global temperature rise of 0.15 degree Celsius – more than 20 percent of the total observed global warming.

“The United States is an unambiguous leader, with a contribution of more than double that of China, which falls second in the ranking,” the authors wrote

Read more at http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/11130494...
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#42732 Jan 17, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
huh... The United States was the highest contributor, responsible for a global temperature rise of 0.15 degree Celsius – more than 20 percent of the total observed global warming.
“The United States is an unambiguous leader, with a contribution of more than double that of China, which falls second in the ranking,” the authors wrote
Quit smoking that sht!!!!!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42733 Jan 17, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
A waste of time with mothballs & co, they are all shooting blanks now and they know it. Before this denier science (using term loosely) came along Climate science was all about the warning for the future. Now they have had time to discredit EVERY one of these BS arguments by fossil fuel funded organisations on top of conducting new research. These sites and fake climate organisations were designed with one purpose in mind. Delay or disrupt any measures that might come about to address CO2 emissions. The game is up, they have nothing only hearsay and opinions. It's like trying to hang on to the horse & cart after the invention of the automobile. Clean energy is our future , dirty is our past. It's just a pity that politics like those of the self destructing Republicans keep trying to flog the past as their future..
If you want to know how it all started, why we are fighting the denial machine today, strangely enough, you have to go back to the subtle racism of Robert Welch and Ronald Rayguns.

http://www.google.com/url...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#42734 Jan 17, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
There's all kinds of evidence that Man IS changing the composition of the atmosphere.
All kinds except experimental evidence, we have no experimental evidence we can change the climate or the composition of the atmosphere in any measurable way.

And no, life isn't an experiment. Just because you whistle in the dark and elephants never step on you doesn't mean if you stop they will step on you or if you turn on the light...

Look for the experimental work; who knows if carbon taxes, carbon sinks or mere conversation will cause the changes you require.

gcaveman1 wrote:
You are the biggest fool on Earth.
At least I don't promote the nightmare of catastrophic climate change from man made greenhouse gas emissions or the promise of climate change mitigation. Wait for science to catch up to the religious fervor for salvation.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42735 Jan 17, 2014
Truth Facts wrote:
<quoted text>Quit smoking that sht!!!!!
hush .. you are the one smoking it!

Your name exposes your lack of interest in truth and facts:

The United States was the highest contributor, responsible for a global temperature rise of 0.15 degree Celsius – more than 20 percent of the total observed global warming.

Top Climate Scientist

Fullerton, CA

#42736 Jan 17, 2014
I told you about this over and over. But nooooooo. You wouldn't pay attention to my posts. My research is conclusive and peer reviewed.
==========
The Sun's activity is at its lowest for 100 years, scientists have warned.
They say the conditions are eerily similar to those before the Maunder Minimum, a time in 1645 when a mini ice age hit, Freezing London's River Thames.
Researcher believe the solar lull could cause major changes, and say there is a 20% chance it could lead to 'major changes' in temperatures.

'Whatever measure you use, solar peaks are coming down,' Richard Harrison of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire told the BBC.
'I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything like this.'
He says the phenomenon could lead to colder winters similar to those during the Maunder Minimum.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#42737 Jan 17, 2014
Not Climate Scientist wrote:
I told you about this over and over. But nooooooo. You wouldn't pay attention to my posts. My research is conclusive and peer reviewed.
==========
The Sun's activity is at its lowest for 100 years, scientists have warned.
They say the conditions are eerily similar to those before the Maunder Minimum, a time in 1645 when a mini ice age hit, Freezing London's River Thames.
Researcher believe the solar lull could cause major changes, and say there is a 20% chance it could lead to 'major changes' in temperatures.*
'Whatever measure you use, solar peaks are coming down,' Richard Harrison of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire told the BBC.
'I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything like this.'
He says the phenomenon could lead to colder winters similar to those during the Maunder Minimum.*
* in northern Europe, with global temperatures largely unaffected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42739 Jan 18, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>All kinds except experimental evidence, we have no experimental evidence we can change the climate or the composition of the atmosphere in any measurable way.
And no, life isn't an experiment. Just because you whistle in the dark and elephants never step on you doesn't mean if you stop they will step on you or if you turn on the light...
Look for the experimental work; who knows if carbon taxes, carbon sinks or mere conversation will cause the changes you require.
<quoted text>At least I don't promote the nightmare of catastrophic climate change from man made greenhouse gas emissions or the promise of climate change mitigation. Wait for science to catch up to the religious fervor for salvation.
Your lies just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Elephants? You're pretty crappy with metaphors, too.
truth facts

Delaware, OH

#42740 Jan 18, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>hush .. you are the one smoking it!
Your name exposes your lack of interest in truth and facts:
The United States was the highest contributor, responsible for a global temperature rise of 0.15 degree Celsius – more than 20 percent of the total observed global warming.
Hey spaceNUTS,you kooks are losing the argument.More and more people,except for you crazies,do not believe in your voodoo science.Wackobirds,everyone of you.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42741 Jan 18, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Hey spaceNUTS,you kooks are losing the argument.More and more people,except for you crazies,do not believe in your voodoo science.Wackobirds,everyone of you.
You're obviously a Fox viewer. All credible polls show a growing awareness of climate change.

And, to be fair to both our statements, global warming doesn't care. It just is.

Location hidden

#42742 Jan 18, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Hey spaceNUTS,you kooks are losing the argument.More and more people,except for you crazies,do not believe in your voodoo science.Wackobirds,everyone of you.
I understand. To you folks who do not understand, science must look like magic.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#42743 Jan 18, 2014
truth facts wrote:
<quoted text>Hey [sic],#you kooks[sic] are losing the argument.#More and more people,#except for you crazies[sic],#do not believe in your voodoo science.#Wackobirds[sic],every one of you.
Shish.. you feel worse now?

What part of my post you find not to be the truth or facts? Come on.. get angry again..

heheheh
Top Climate Scientist

Fullerton, CA

#42744 Jan 18, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding us or what, it is called GLOBAL warming. Have you bothered to see what's going on in the southern hemisphere, heat records being broken daily.
Look at the Australian Open tennis
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/15/sport/tenni...
I need to teach you the difference between weather and climate. Sit down over there. I'll be with you in a few minutes.
Massachusetts

Fullerton, CA

#42745 Jan 18, 2014
So true, so true.
AlgoreTheTinFoilHatter wrote:
Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is a theory (hypothesis). It is an
unproven theory. What you do with theories is put them to the test with
scientific observations. Let's see what data points we now have:
1) Average annual temperatures have not surpassed 1998 (NOAA)
(University of Alabama)
2) Average annual temperatures are now trending downward since 1998
(NOAA)(University of Alabama)
3) Ocean temperatures have not risen since 2000 when the 3000 Argo buoys
were launched. The buoys even show a slight decrease in ocean temperatures
4) The Arctic ice froze to February levels by December 07, there are 1mm
more sq km than before (previous was 13mm sq km)
5) The Arctic ice is 20cm thicker than "normal" (whatever that is)
6) All polar bear pods are stable or growing (NOAA/PBS)
7) Mount Kilimanjaro is not melting because of global warming, rather
"sublimation"
8) The Antarctic is not "melting", it is growing in most places, the
sloughing off at the edges is normal as the ice mass grows
9) The majority of the Antarctic is 8 degrees below "normal" (again,
whatever that is)
10) The coveted .7 degree rise in temperatures over the last 100 years
has been wiped out with last years below "normal" temperatures (NOAA
coolest winter since 2001)
11) Al Gores film was just deemed "propaganda" in a court of law in the
UK as many points could not be substantiated by scientists
12) It was also just reveled that some of the footage in Als film was
CGI. The ice shelf collapse was from the movie The Day After Tomorrow (ABC)
13) One of the scientists that originally thought that CO2 preceded the
warming has now found with new data that the CO2 rise follows the
warming (Dr David Evans)
14) August 2008 was the first time since 1913 there were no sun spots.
15) The Medieval Warm Period was warmer than the 20th century (no SUVs)
16) Many scientists are now predicting 30 years of cooling.
17) The greenhouse effect is real, our small contribution to it cannot
even be measured
18) Several publications, including those that are warmist have recently
written that the natural cycles of the earth may mask AGW. Give me a break.

Location hidden

#42746 Jan 18, 2014
Massachusetts wrote:
So true, so true.
<quoted text>
Then, explain this!

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/F...

Location hidden

#42747 Jan 18, 2014
Top Climate Scientist wrote:
<quoted text>
I need to teach you the difference between weather and climate. Sit down over there. I'll be with you in a few minutes.
Oh I see, so you mention the Big Freeze in the US as evidence global warming is over but a Southern Hemisphere summer doesn't count. I always thought climate is weather over time, your definition is weather overnight!

Location hidden

#42748 Jan 18, 2014
Massachusetts wrote:
So true, so true.
<quoted text>
Every point of your post has been disproven, go find another piece of BS to push.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min President Trump 1,394,791
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 34 min Jacques Orleans 216,598
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 49 min TRD 70,710
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr SweLL GirL 8,845
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Retired SOF 1,109
last post wins! (Dec '10) 2 hr Retired SOF 2,132
Who's this Fauxcahontas? 2 hr TeePeeTattlerRED 24
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 13 hr Dregs Historian 102,448
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages