Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64570 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#42621 Jan 11, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that? More babbling?

Thought so.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42622 Jan 11, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that? More babbling?
Thought so.
Talk about babbling...you're a master of it.

If you don't accept AGW, why don't you bring something to the table that disproves it? Do you have a graph that is the opposite of Mann's? Can you offer any evidence that this warming is caused by something other than mankind's actions?

But I'm betting you'll keep on bitching, complaining, moaning, groaning, carping, griping, fussing, and denying for as long as you grace us with your trolling.

Why? Because you have nothing.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#42623 Jan 11, 2014
ICPP debunks:

"Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving little..."
Full story: Newsday

http://www.climatechange2013.org/report/revie...
Fact:
IPCC states there is a "hiatus" in warming.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#42624 Jan 11, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't accept AGW, why don't you bring something to the table that disproves it? Do you have a graph that is the opposite of Mann's? Can you offer any evidence that this warming is caused by something other than mankind's actions?
But I'm betting you'll keep on bitching, complaining, moaning, groaning, carping, griping, fussing, and denying for as long as you grace us with your trolling.
CAVEMAN,that's a knee slapper.
Ibnnatas

Salt Lake City, UT

#42625 Jan 11, 2014
Idiot liberals spewing diarrea out of their mouths.
The active volcanos on this earth produce more
Co2 than man. You have lost the argument, now
You might as well be touting the existence of
Bigfoot. You are the crazy uncle in the corner
Nobody pays attention to.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#42626 Jan 11, 2014
Ibnnatas wrote:
Idiot liberals spewing diarrea out of their mouths.
The active volcanos on this earth produce more
Co2 than man. You have lost the argument, now
You might as well be touting the existence of
Bigfoot. You are the crazy uncle in the corner
Nobody pays attention to.
Yet another idiot posting LIES he has either heard from Rush or one of his buddies like Beck or Hannity. None of which have a clue other than to ability to entertain the ignorant.
Volcanoes only produce 1%, yes you heard that right 1% of CO2 compared to what humans produce a year. Google it and check for yourself instead of posting BS on here, then go look for bigfoot.
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

#42627 Jan 11, 2014
According to 'Nature' cold ocean water is causing "hiatus":

"A new study adds to mounting evidence that cooling in the tropical Pacific Ocean is the cause of the global warming hiatus, a slow-down in the rise of average temperatures that began around 1998.

The eastern equatorial Pacific is well known to have an outsize influence on global weather. Years-long ocean trends such as El Niño and La Niña cause alternate warming and cooling of the sea surface there, with effects on monsoons and temperatures around the world. Now a modelling study by researchers at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, California, indicates that a decadal La Niña-like cooling trend affecting as little as 8% of Earth’s surface can explain the slower rise in global temperatures."
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

#42628 Jan 11, 2014
...and in other models:

"Water vapour could be behind WARMING SLOWDOWN
The equatorial Pacific cooling turns out to be strong enough to offset the general rise in temperature induced by anthropogenic greenhouse gases,” says Shang-Ping Xie, a climate modeller at Scripps and co-author of the study, which is published today in Nature1."
Mothra

Tempe, AZ

#42629 Jan 11, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying Mann's hockey stick is "the" standard that proves global warming?

No? Then what is? or what combination do you consider proof?

And also, how do you consider AGW disproven?

I've seen the goal posts moved so often, I'd like to eliminate the "yeah but's in advance.

Still... it's gonna be tough to debate a zealot. But could be fun.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#42630 Jan 11, 2014
Fair Game wrote:
Classic polluter argument: it's a big pond, my gallon of used motor oil won't be noticed.
CO2 is invisible; its unlike used motor oil because carbon dioxide is essential for life.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42631 Jan 12, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying Mann's hockey stick is "the" standard that proves global warming?
No? Then what is? or what combination do you consider proof?
And also, how do you consider AGW disproven?
I've seen the goal posts moved so often, I'd like to eliminate the "yeah but's in advance.
Still... it's gonna be tough to debate a zealot. But could be fun.
Trying to make some perversion of what I write? No, Mann's graph is only one of several. Take your pick. They all show basically the same thing.

I asked if you had a temperature chart that shows temps leveling off or declining. That would be a contradiction of the others. Of course, it would need to be a graph from a reputable climatologist or university, not one developed by Donald Trump.

Disprove or give a valid, verifiable argument against AGW. Easy. Just show that any other facter is causing the warming. And again, from a reputable source, not Stuart Varney or Shawn Hannity.

And I've seen deniers claim warming is from everything from sunspots to the Earth's magnetic reversal. None of these goalposts will stand.

It'll be easy debating a denier because they have no argument.
Anti Christ

Minneapolis, MN

#42632 Jan 12, 2014
Examples of this hillbilly's "perversion":
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Trying to make some perversion of what I write?

You're fucked
Are you paying attention while I screw your little butthole? That's when you got the sore butthole. Did you enjoy all this as much as I did?
Seems it's still a little raw, eh? Are you recording this? Are you paying attention?
I think you're a little sore since I screwed you.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...

http://350orbust.com/2010/03/01/icebergs-ice -...

t.
litesong

Everett, WA

#42633 Jan 12, 2014
[QUOTE who="lyin' brian"]CO2 is invisible[/QUOTE]

You think science can't detect CO2 & determine its effects, then?

I don't care what your answer is because "lyin' brian" has errors of 1million TIMES, 1000TIMES, 3000TIMES, 73 million TIMES, & 2.5trillion TIMES, plus being a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AND alleged & proud threatener.
litesong

Everett, WA

#42634 Jan 12, 2014
global cooling under wrote:
In 1974, Time Magazine blamed the cold polar vortex on global cooling.
In the 70's & early 80's, 44 global warming Science Papers were published in Science Journals. Only 7 papers were written on global cooling.
litesong

Everett, WA

#42635 Jan 12, 2014
motheaten mothballs wrote:
More news.
Glad you like my news. Repeat treats:
However, not quite 99% of the atmosphere has almost no infra-red energy absorbing ability, so you have no scientific reason to state the Earth's atmospheric quantity. That is why "motheaten mothballs" is "motheaten mothballs".
Of those remaining GHGs, phase changing infra-red energy absorbing water vapor has the most effect. However, increasing man-made atmospheric amounts of non-phase changing infra-red energy absorbing CO2, methane, oxides of nitrogen, SF6, etc. control the GHG effect of phase changing infra-red energy absorbing water vapor in the atmosphere.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#42636 Jan 12, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you like my news. Repeat treats:
However, not quite 99% of the atmosphere has almost no infra-red energy absorbing ability, so you have no scientific reason to state the Earth's atmospheric quantity. That is why "motheaten mothballs" is "motheaten mothballs".
Of those remaining GHGs, phase changing infra-red energy absorbing water vapor has the most effect. However, increasing man-made atmospheric amounts of non-phase changing infra-red energy absorbing CO2, methane, oxides of nitrogen, SF6, etc. control the GHG effect of phase changing infra-red energy absorbing water vapor in the atmosphere.
KOOK KOO
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#42641 Jan 12, 2014
Anti Christ wrote:
Examples of this hillbilly's "perversion":
<quoted text>
Still sore, huh?

Put a little baby oil on it. In addition to soothing the pain, it'll prepare you better for the next time.
Anti Christ

Minneapolis, MN

#42642 Jan 12, 2014
Trolling Perv:
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Still sore, huh?
Put a little baby oil on it. In addition to soothing the pain, it'll prepare you better for the next
time.
<quoted text>

Trying to make some perversion of what I write?

You're fucked
Are you paying attention while I screw your little butthole? That's when you got the sore butthole. Did you enjoy all this as much as I did?
Seems it's still a little raw, eh? Are you recording this? Are you paying attention?
I think you're a little sore since I screwed you.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin ...

http://350orbust.com/2010/03/01/icebergs-ice -...

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#42643 Jan 13, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Sea Ice is a WHOLE lot different than mainland ice which is melting away. Sea ice is seasonal and a lot of it comes from the mainland after melting away. No one declares warming is over because of freaking sea ice formation, only the ignorant.
Like warming you guys grab any spike in the graph that deviates from a downward slide in the ice cover and vice versa with warming. Despite having up and down swings over thousands of years you declare its all over on one spike in any given year. So much for science
Geez. I post several graphs covering an expanse of time and now who is the denier!
What a rube!

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#42644 Jan 13, 2014
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a really huge lie.
Are you proud of being a LIAR?
I have family all along the Gulf Coast with several in the shrimping industry. They have noticed NO OIL that interefered with the quality of life or industry there!
BP has been up and down the coast bragging about there clean up efforts that no one has even seen because there was no clean up!!!
1st hand knowledge always trumps you lying liberal azzes!
Tourism is up, shrimping is up and even condo building is up on the Gulf Coast.
Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min sonicfilter 1,745,656
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 min Julia 12,225
Trump is A 1 hr USAsince1680 599
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr RACE 105,472
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr Black Ice 72,074
What are the best adult dating sites in Chicago ? 3 hr Big Gay Al 5
News Shooting victim's funeral in Evanston erupts in... (Mar '08) 12 hr GANG banger whoop... 81

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages