Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60662 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

United States

#41973 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:
Even your own data shows, TSI was weakest in the 2000-09 period, but no Earth global temperatures retreated to early 20th century temperatures.
Hmm... let's see.... all that "lost" heat allegedly stored in the deep oceans won't just dissipate overnight, will it?

Can't have it both ways.

LOL
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41974 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
"c the beef" bluffed:
Solar activity cycle is weakest in a century...http://www.space.com
//////////
fun farts fluffed:
You're right. Here's what our current cycle looks like in comparison with the last three cycles. Cycle 21 started in 1976.
//////////
litesong wrote:
Even your own data shows, TSI was weakest in the 2000-09 period, but no Earth global temperatures retreated to early 20th century temperatures.
I tried to find a graph that had all the solar cycles numbered because I know it's hard for you with a 'hi skule dee-ploma' but you'll just have to rely on the dates.

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/20...

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/35/351270/update-on...

Climate is not caused by a single factor although solar energy is a main factor as it is the only source of heat energy. Also climate is not a 'real time' reaction to various input. Lag times are evident in all climate factors.

The first graph is a comparison of our recent and current cycle activity to the cycles that preceded and were evident during the Dalton Minimum.

The second graph is a history of the high activity of the solar cycles from about 1750 forward.

Solar activity has patterns. And the pattern of activity we see today is very much like that of the 1770s thru the Dalton Minimum.

If you want colder temps, then this pattern indicates you're going to get them.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41975 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
"c the beef" bluffed:
Solar activity cycle is weakest in a century...http://www.space.com
//////////
fun farts fluffed:
You're right.
//////////
litesong wrote:
//////////
"fun farts" fluffed:
If you want colder temps, then this pattern indicates you're going to get them.
////////
litesong wrote:
Just follow the TSI. But you didn't interpret it right in the 2000-20009 period. You'll screw it up again, because you do NOT know how to & will not consider GHGs, their primary & secondary feedbacks or their affects on water vapor. Before you have anything more to say, you got to get global temperatures back before 20th century levels.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41976 Dec 14, 2013
motheaten wrote:
Can't have it both ways.
If toxic topix AGW deniers declare an ice age coming, they gain no respect till ice age temperatures occur.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41977 Dec 14, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
Joe!
Good to hear from you!!!
The last vestiges of "The Faithful" appear to have abandoned all reason, logic and basic science in favor of demagoguery and insults. I know, I know... not much has changed. But I do wish to say; it is good to see your presence here once again. Hope you have been able to enjoy some of the cryptic admissions of error by the UNIPCC AR5 WG1. Sooooo funny reading the contorted reasoning used to continue to justify the title of this thread :-)
Merry Christmas my friend,
~koolaid
Yes, koolaid/cutnpaste/antichrist schizophrenic, good ole Joe, the Limey ex-pat who abandoned his homeland to stretch his Euros in sunny southern Spain.

Good ole denier Joe, who once stated that Man had been contributing to global warming ever since his very first campfire, and then went on to ignore the ten trillion "campfires" since then.

You'd think someone from Britain could grasp the concept of the Btu.

Well, at least he uses solar for some of his energy needs.
Mothra

United States

#41978 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
If toxic topix AGW deniers declare an ice age coming, they gain no respect till ice age temperatures occur.
Hmm... so it has to happen for it to be real?

Damn! And all that "science" of the warmists that relies on models?

Once again, your standards conveniently reverse.

LOL
TN Voter

Kennewick, WA

#41979 Dec 14, 2013
Global warming is a scam.. We lost our industry here in the USA... If man causes global warming please explain to me why we did not have global warming during WW1, WW2, industrial revolution... I mean you clueless morons believe Al Gore... The same man who screamed that the oceans are rising yet buys an 11 million dollar home on these so called rising beach... These bands who scream global warming yet leave huge carbon footprints.. You think Bono and Sting are driving Chevy Volts, by the way they too use electricity from Coal fired plants !!! You and your scientist ( a few of them who believe this ) are stupid.. If you want a cleaner air all you got to do is refine coal to diesel and use nuclear power!!! Gee that's too simple!!!
litesong

Everett, WA

#41980 Dec 14, 2013
tn voter wrote:
....... use nuclear power!!!
........an advertisement for nuclear power from the nuclear power TRI-CITIES region, the only people who love nuclear radiation in the Columbia River, & bellyache about downwinders & cleaning up Hanford!!!
litesong

Everett, WA

#41981 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
//////////
motheaten muffed:
......so it has to happen for it to be real......all that AGW "science"

.........your standards conveniently reverse.
//////////
Only by adding the warming due to AGW, its primary & secondary feedbacks & its affects on water vapor, can present global warming be explained. Glad you agree that AGW "science" is real.

Never reversed any standards. toxic topix AGW deniers have to reverse global temperatures after predicting an "ice age"........drops below the 20th century will be a start, but their aim has to get back to the "ice age".
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41982 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah..the old strawman. Who has declared an ice age is coming? If your only defense of the hiatus in global temperature increases is a potential ice age, then you don't understand climate or the various processes that create it very well.
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41983 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:

Just follow the TSI. But you didn't interpret it right in the 2000-20009 period. You'll screw it up again, because you do NOT know how to & will not consider GHGs, their primary & secondary feedbacks or their affects on water vapor. Before you have anything more to say, you got to get global temperatures back before 20th century levels.
Interpreting TSI has nothing to do with GHGs. TSI is independent of any effect of GHGs.

2000 was about the max of solar cycle 23, 2009 the minimum.

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/20...

Solar cycle 24 begins but does not have the level of activity of the prior three cycles.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/s...

Solar cycles have minimums and maximums approx every 11 years.

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Radio/solar...
litesong

Everett, WA

#41984 Dec 14, 2013
motheaten wrote:
Over 2000 cold and snow records set in the USA this past week
How many 'weather' reports will it take warmists to give up their theory?
In 2012 till December 13, 33,684 Hi Max temperatures were set, while 31,461 Hi minimum temperatures were set.

toxic topix AGW deniers have been screaming that 2013 was cold. So ya better got some cold records to show for your throaty efforts, tho ya ain't got no brain efforts, with an extreme lack of science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in your poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.

Besides, excess AGW energy is warming the NP region, & simultaneously pushing cold Arctic fronts out of the Arctic to southern regions, even affecting S. China, India, northern Africa, Mexico, Central America, & mid-Pacific islands.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41985 Dec 14, 2013
fun farts wrote:
Interpreting TSI has nothing to do with GHGs. TSI is independent of any effect of GHGs
Never said TSI & GHGs were related. Only including TSI, other factors, AND GHGs (plus their primary & secondary feedbacks & their affect on water vapor) is present warming accounted.
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41986 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2012 till December 13, 33,684 Hi Max temperatures were set, while 31,461 Hi minimum temperatures were set.
toxic topix AGW deniers have been screaming that 2013 was cold. So ya better got some cold records to show for your throaty efforts, tho ya ain't got no brain efforts, with an extreme lack of science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra & pre-calc in your poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.
Besides, excess AGW energy is warming the NP region, & simultaneously pushing cold Arctic fronts out of the Arctic to southern regions, even affecting S. China, India, northern Africa, Mexico, Central America, & mid-Pacific islands.
US stats

https://sites.google.com/site/pettitclimategr...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41987 Dec 14, 2013
TN Voter wrote:
Global warming is a scam.. We lost our industry here in the USA... If man causes global warming please explain to me why we did not have global warming during WW1, WW2, industrial revolution... I mean you clueless morons believe Al Gore... The same man who screamed that the oceans are rising yet buys an 11 million dollar home on these so called rising beach... These bands who scream global warming yet leave huge carbon footprints.. You think Bono and Sting are driving Chevy Volts, by the way they too use electricity from Coal fired plants !!! You and your scientist ( a few of them who believe this ) are stupid.. If you want a cleaner air all you got to do is refine coal to diesel and use nuclear power!!! Gee that's too simple!!!
Another one Gored!

Mr.Gore's new house sits well back from the beach, at about 100 foot elevation. If you knew the facts, you wouldn't appear so stupid.

Southern Company's Kemper County coal gassification plant is over-budget by about $2 billion and the same thing happens with every nuclear plant. Then there's the Fukishima fiasco.

It's much easier and better to switch to wind and solar.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41988 Dec 14, 2013
fun farts wrote:
Yeah, I mentioned 2012 which had overwhelming warm records over cold records. You mention 2013, which toxic topix AGW deniers screamed was so cold, yet cold records are marginally more than warm records.

toxic topix AGW deniers got to find more & even colder years ahead. Should be way easy, since toxic topix AGW deniers say an "ice age" is coming.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#41989 Dec 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I mentioned 2012 which had overwhelming warm records over cold records. You mention 2013, which toxic topix AGW deniers screamed was so cold, yet cold records are marginally more than warm records.
toxic topix AGW deniers got to find more & even colder years ahead. Should be way easy, since toxic topix AGW deniers say an "ice age" is coming.
Oh Well....am sure WE won't survive..How many folks ya know ..Know any Survival Skills??
MStereotype

Bay Springs, MS

#41990 Dec 14, 2013
Now we know why Aintartiker is a-meltin!

SAN FRANCISCO — A big, hot blob hiding beneath the bottom of the world could be evidence of a long-sought mantle plume under West Antarctica, researchers say.

The possible hotspot — a plume of superheated rock rising from Earth's mantle — sits under Marie Byrd Land, a broad dome at West Antarctica's edge where many active volcanoes above and below the ice spit lava and ash. The hot zone was discovered with seismic imaging techniques that rely on earthquake waves to build pictures of Earth's inner layers, similar to how a CT scan works.

Ah doan unnerstan all that there sarintific talk, but it shore sounds like to me this might be the reeson the wurld is a-warmin!
litesong

Everett, WA

#41991 Dec 14, 2013
MStereotype wrote:
Now we know why Aintartiker is a-meltin!

Its like the sun that could easily account for the present Earth warming........ but doesn't.
MStereotype

Bay Springs, MS

#41992 Dec 15, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, you have proved this mantle plume started warming the Earth overmuch, beginning a few centuries ago, & wasn't doing it thousands of years ago.
Its like the sun that could easily account for the present Earth warming........ but doesn't.
Of course the sun don't cause warmin its to far away!

its the hot middle of the earth whut cause it, somebody tole me thar was a bunch of hot nickels down there. I wouldnt be surprised if there warnt some hot dimes and quarters too.

yew doan haf to be a scienrtist to figure that one out. even a dumb ole country boy like me is smarter than them there lab coats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fat Ankles and hairy toes. 19 min 3rd base hoagie 40
Chicago has the Worst Women 27 min 3rd base hoagie 39
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min Dr Guru 219,607
News Expect more barricades, security checks at Loll... 34 min 3rd base hoagie 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,405,041
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr Sublime1 103,234
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr Hatti_Hollerand 1,258

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages