Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 54356 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#41883 Dec 10, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>all except the two I got degrees.
And still don't know to start a sentence with a capital letter?

Or maybe your shift key is broken, just like heavytune's?

Funny that.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41884 Dec 10, 2013
scii-ant-ist wrote:
You say heat rises? Not in this case. It's in the ocean.
Why is a "scii-ant-ist" such as yourself surprised? Vast numbers of ocean down-wellings conduct much excess AGW retained energy to continental shelves & deep ocean abysses. Storm wave action & big cyclones & hurricanes can mix surface ocean layers with enhanced AGW heats, to surprising depths, retaining enhanced AGW heats, until down-wellings can conduct the heats to ocean depths. They are called primary & secondary AGW feedbacks.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41885 Dec 10, 2013
globbed education freezing wrote:
Newly analysed Nasa satellite data from east Antarctica shows Earth has set a new record for coldest temperature ever recorded:-94.7C (-135.8F).
It happened in August 2010 when it hit -94.7C (-135.8F). Then on 31 July of this year, it came close again:-92.9C (-135.3F).
The old record had been -89.2C (-128.6F).
Using new tech, NASA found colder places than Vostok station on isolated Antarctic (14,000-15000 foot?) mountain ridges, which no human had been to while temperatures were below -130degF.

In truth, the newer cold temperatures showed an advancement in technology, not a colder Earth. Of course, toxic topix AGW deniers will refuse to understand this post & will continue to post the new temperatures. toxic topix AGW deniers are that way...... yes, they are!
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41886 Dec 10, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
Well.......Fair Game...... I don't capitalize toxic topix AGW deniers at the beginning of sentences, either. They don't deserve it, haven't earned it, have not the education, & need no inadvertent encouragement.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#41887 Dec 10, 2013
Second grade teacher asks the class 'do you believe in global warming?' Most of the class raised their hands.

She went over to Tommy and asked,'why do you not believe in global warming?'.

Tommy replied,'my dad doesn't believe in global warming and my mom doesn't believe in global warming so I don't believe in global warming'.

Teacher then asked 'if your dad believed in Santa Claus and you're mom believed in magic tinkerbell fairies, what you you believe in?'

Tommy thought about it and replied,'global warming'.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#41888 Dec 10, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
Second grade teacher asks the class 'do you believe in global warming?' Most of the class raised their hands.
She went over to Tommy and asked,'why do you not believe in global warming?'.
Tommy replied,'my dad doesn't believe in global warming and my mom doesn't believe in global warming so I don't believe in global warming'.
Teacher then asked 'if your dad believed in Santa Claus and you're mom believed in magic tinkerbell fairies, what you you believe in?'
Tommy thought about it and replied,'global warming'.
One does not believe "in" global warming. We know that global warming is happening because our instruments and senses tell us so. You can believe in Santa Clause if you want, but he is not going to make global warming go away!

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#41889 Dec 10, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether ya got non-science & mathematics degrees, doesn't change the facts that 6 (maybe more?) toxic topix AGW deniers don't have hi skule DEE-plooomaas, but consider themselves more advanced than AGW scientists with 10-16 years more training in science & mathematics.
prove it, moron! Surely you're smart enough to do that! At least you want everyone to think so, huh, kid?
Lol

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#41890 Dec 10, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe your shift key is broken, just like heavytune's?
Funny that.
sure I can! I choose small caps because it bothers self righteous warmist azzholes.
It also gives them something to bytch about since they can't stay on point!
Lol
Ring any bells, son?
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41891 Dec 10, 2013
don't drink the koolaid suggested that some people believe that 'If (a) state is fortunate enough to not suffer any loss of life due (to) exposure or weather related road fatalities than we can safely say that this unusually cold weather is the result of natural variability.
On the other hand... if there is an unfortunate loss of life during this period it is with a high degree of confidence that we can conclude these souls are direct victims of Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption."
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
It is good that you finally mimic(since you don't understand) the truth.
Warm fronts moving into the NP region have kept the Arctic warmer than normal for 100 days, despite the NP being in darkness for 2.5+months. Presently the sun is 44 diameters below the horizon, as unseen from the NP. The warm fronts have also pushed Arctic cold, well south of the Arctic Circle. Thrice, Watson Lake, Yukon, only 917 miles north of Seattle, had temperatures plunge to -42,-40 & -38 degF, & flooding cold kept moving south, spreading across the U.S.
Your response demonstrates an unbelievable mental myopathy that confirms the absurdity of your claims while at the same time validating popular criticisms that brand you and many fellow 'believers' in Orthodox Climatology as religious fundamentalists.
Your response to 'dont drink the koolaid's' post proved the point that 'believers' see ALL weather events that have a negative impact as "PROOF" of CAGW and any other effects of Climate Change as 'natural variability'.
'HOT' or 'COLD' if there is a negative impact: CAGW
'HOT' or 'COLD' if there is NOT a negative impact it is "natural variability'.
May your faith bring you the warmth of a peaceful Christmas without the disrespect so ingrained among those who profess their belief in CAGW.
B.S.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41892 Dec 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
One does not believe "in" global warming. We know that global warming is happening because our instruments and senses tell us so.
Of course you 'believe' in "CAGW".
Without someone telling you we have a CAGW crisis you woodland have to believe in something else. After all, your friend made a very important observation when...
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>"Hahaha... Without the IPCC assessment, the public would have no idea that our fossil-fuel usage is heating up the planet."

May your faith bring you a warm fuzzy feeling,
~B.S.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41893 Dec 10, 2013
Remember, as you open your gifts this Christmas;.. if it is warm outside the home you heat with Fossil Fuels it is because of you. Oh, and if it is very cold outside it is because you are warm inside due to your furnace using 'Fossil Fuels'.

So you see, you are to blame for all ill effects of Climate Change.

Stay warm my friends,
B. S.
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41894 Dec 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
One does not believe "in" global warming. We know that global warming is happening because our instruments and senses tell us so. You can believe in Santa Clause if you want, but he is not going to make global warming go away!
oh but 'bozo', you do believe in it. the theory has no, none, never been proven. it is nothing but heresay, made up. you lunatics in lala land have the delusional belief that normal, natural weather is full blown proof of your made up fairytale world of man made global warming. historical records mean nothing to you when it comes to the hysteria of the fairytale of man causing the weather. get down from the soapbox and take a break before you freeze to death. enough of the bullshtt. it is nothing but a religion, and a stupid one at that. you don't seem to have the common sense to not know a scam when it is brought out in front of you. climate cycles to you are man made? the climate history means nothing to you? I suppose you think the sun is just a big bright shiny thing in the sky so we all know when to get up in the mornings. you lunatic delusional zealots with your newfound religion are beyond belief. do they issue you the tinfoil hats, or do you have to make your own? I'll bet yours has tassels.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41895 Dec 10, 2013
heavytune wrote:
<quoted text>figure it out idiot, they have 8 or more of these storms a year. in years past over 2000, 4000, 6000, 10000, or more unknown people have parished. this storm, even though they had a weeks warning, is small one. man caused global warming my ass.
You figure it out, idiot. There were about three dozen tropical storms and typhoons in the Pacific this year, including the giant Haiyan. Just because some storms didn't hit land doesn't mean they didn't happen.

These unknown people, were they parished in Louisiana?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41896 Dec 10, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
The average is 17* and you were concerned that it was 19*?
"Maybe you should become an Alaskan hillbilly. It was 19* there today. At the 64th parallel."
Accuweather has a 18* average for Nome. But not to worry, if it's cold your looking for the forecast starting on Wednesday is below the average and is predicted to drop into the single digits and stay that way for a while.
Oh by the way accuweather had a temp of 26* for yesterday. So did the weather channel. But good try coming up with a temp with no location. I'm sure somewhere on the 64th parallel it was 19*, or not.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/nome-ak/9976...
I said Nome. Apparently you can't read. The temperature was from the local weather service in.....NOME. ALASKA. It was for SUNDAY.

If you had a brain, you'd take it out and play with it.

“BET DAP”

GOOM BOWN

#41897 Dec 10, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You figure it out, idiot. There were about three dozen tropical storms and typhoons in the Pacific this year, including the giant Haiyan. Just because some storms didn't hit land doesn't mean they didn't happen.
These unknown people, were they parished in Louisiana?
what are you talking about, rube? never mind....i'm sure you have no idea yourself.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41898 Dec 10, 2013
While the continental U.S. has been shivering from coast-to-coast with temperatures dropping as low as minus-40F amid one of the most severe early December cold snaps in several years, one state bucked the trend in an historic way. The same contorted jet stream pattern that brought the brutal cold to the lower 48 states pushed a pulse of milder-than-average air into Alaska, where some spots recorded temperatures unheard of for December.

At the airport in Deadhorse, which serves the oil production hub of Prudhoe Bay, the temperature hit 39F on December 7, the highest December temperature on record there since at least 1968, said Rick Thoman of the National Weather Service (NWS) in Fairbanks in an interview. Even more notable, perhaps, was the fact that it was raining, rather than snowing. Rain there is unusual so late in the year.

Previously, the highest December temperature recorded at any of the two climate observation sites that have served Prudhoe Bay over the years was 35F, set on Dec. 31, 1973, according to Chris Burt, a blogger at WeatherUnderground.

December high temperature records were also set or tied at Barter Island AFB, which is a tiny airport located on a sliver of land along Alaskas wind-whipped North Slope region, and in the small village of Wainwright, another Arctic shore location. Barter Island reached 37F, which tied its record last set in 1973, and Wainright hit 32F, beating the old record of 30F last set in 2006.

Other noteworthy Alaska records included a December record high of 54F in King Salmon, which is situated along Bristol Bay in southwest Alaska. That broke the previous record of 51F, and records there date back to World War II. Daily high temperature records were also set at Kotzebue, Bettles, and Cold Bay, Alaska, among other locations, Thoman said.

The first nine days of December ran 22.2F above average in Barrow, and 18.5F above average in Kotzebue, according to NWS data.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41899 Dec 10, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>what are you talking about, rube? never mind....i'm sure you have no idea yourself.
Yeah, never mind. But learn to spell so you won't sound so stupid.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#41900 Dec 10, 2013
Climate change nut jobs.Nothing else needs to be said.
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#41901 Dec 10, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I said Nome. Apparently you can't read. The temperature was from the local weather service in.....NOME. ALASKA. It was for SUNDAY.
If you had a brain, you'd take it out and play with it.
Comparing temps. from Alaska against the lower 48, as if things even out, is absurd to begin with. The real problem, which you've managed to ignore, is that it isn't just the lower 48 states that are below average.

The whole continent of North America is well below average. Here's a few examples from different regions of Canada that show, if you bother to look, temps. steadily 20F or more below average. Worst part is there's no indication of it letting up !

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/saskatoon/s7...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/edmonton/t5k...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/yellowknife/...
Robert

Jeffersonville, IN

#41902 Dec 10, 2013
Let's blame it on smoking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Dr Guru 194,530
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min USAsince1680 1,263,826
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Mister Tonka 100,298
Ask Amy July 31 2 hr Julie 6
abby7-31-15 5 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr Mark 52,069
Amy 7-30-15 9 hr Mister Tonka 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages