Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 60086 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41827 Dec 7, 2013
Cut n Paste wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article /2008/01/23/environment-climat e-hurricanes-dc-idUSN236408792 0080123?feedType=RSS&feedN ame=environmentNews
GW study suggests alarming effects.
This once slow-moving threat, global warming may result In fewer and less intense hurricanes. The results could lead to a devastating decimation of annual rainfall totals in some areas.
ROTFLMAO if there's lots of hurricanes it's caused by global warming, if there's only a few hurricanes, it's caused by global warming.

Maybe cooling's our best bet! Not.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#41828 Dec 7, 2013
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Got a son living north of Santa Fe. Was supposed to get to 34* but so far the high is 29* with snow. He' manning a Christmas tree lot today for fundraising. It's cold.
Merry Christmas to you too.
Hope he sells out!

Yes, Santa Fe is a nice town. Got one of my favorite T shirts there:
"Fighting Terrorism since 1492".
It's getting a little faded so I think it's time I pick up a new one.

-koolaid

P.S.
In an effort to stay on topic:
CO2 caused the temperature here to reach a blistering high of 1 degree F.

Stay warm my friends
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41829 Dec 7, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope he sells out!
Yes, Santa Fe is a nice town. Got one of my favorite T shirts there:
"Fighting Terrorism since 1492".
It's getting a little faded so I think it's time I pick up a new one.
-koolaid
P.S.
In an effort to stay on topic:
CO2 caused the temperature here to reach a blistering high of 1 degree F.
Stay warm my friends
LOL about the T. 1*F, geezz ok I won't complain so loudly.

Stay warm.
believer

New York, NY

#41830 Dec 7, 2013
Extreme cold in winter. Extreme heat in summer.
Jacob Marley

Minneapolis, MN

#41831 Dec 7, 2013
believer wrote:
Extreme cold in winter. Extreme heat in summer.
Yes, dear believer. For all who profess their faith in Orthodox Climatology these extremes represent further evidence for the likelyhood of Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption.
-may those who keep the faith have an abundant supply of Carbon based energy to be safe and warm and thus continue to witness to all; the woeful perils contained within The Evil known as Fossil Fuels.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Sincerely,
The Poor Misunderstood J.M.
Post Script:
I am not a miser. I do not burn my coal for Mr. Cratchit's sake because I wish to save the world from Catastrophic Climate Change.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#41833 Dec 8, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is weather, not climate. It's a one-week thing.
then why is a tornado in oklahoma climate and not weather? hmmmm?

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#41834 Dec 8, 2013
why are hurricanes deemed climate related instead of weather related by the leftist warmist loons instead of weather? Hmmmm?
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

#41835 Dec 8, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
why are hurricanes deemed climate related instead of weather related by the leftist warmist loons instead of weather? Hmmmm?
For the simple reason:
If a weather event has a negative impact it is due to "Anthropogenic Climate Change".
If a weather event has a positive effect it is an example of "Data Noise/Variability".

A Google search will most likely be unable to falsify the above statements.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#41836 Dec 8, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>then why is a tornado in oklahoma climate and not weather? hmmmm?
A tornado isn't. A increase in tornado activity is.
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
A hurricane isn't, in general. Changes in hurricane frequency and strength is.

You really are clueless aren't you? These red herrings (strawmen) are bogus and just show that you don't know climate (metadata about weather) from weather (current conditions)

“no one told me”

Since: Dec 07

Denver

#41837 Dec 8, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
A lie, of course.
http://sealevel.colorado.edu/
A lie of course, irrelevant at any rate, all water sources are subject to increases and decreases, anyone who claims other wise is ignorant or dishonest. There is no normal, only in the warped minds of the present day luddites.

“no one told me”

Denver

#41838 Dec 8, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
A tornado isn't. A increase in tornado activity is.
<quoted text>
A hurricane isn't, in general. Changes in hurricane frequency and strength is.
You really are clueless aren't you? These red herrings (strawmen) are bogus and just show that you don't know climate (metadata about weather) from weather (current conditions)
The fact is Warmers have no facts. Enjoying the cold spell?

“no one told me”

Denver

#41839 Dec 8, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is weather, not climate. It's a one-week thing.
These are lame excuses, your weekly thing.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41840 Dec 8, 2013
fun farts wrote:
38* here in southern NM. Predicting below freezing temps at night for the next several days. Had snow and freezing temps in November.
"fun farts" complains about the local weather, which comforts me.

Warm fronts moving into the NP region have kept the Arctic warmer than normal for 100 days, despite the NP being in darkness for 2.5+months. Presently the sun is 44 diameters below the horizon, as unseen from the NP. The warm fronts have also pushed Arctic cold, well south of the Arctic Circle. Thrice, Watson Lake, Yukon, only 917 miles north of Seattle, had temperatures plunge to -42,-40 & -38 degF, & flooding cold kept moving south, spreading across the U.S.
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41841 Dec 8, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Warm fronts moving into the NP region have kept the Arctic warmer than normal for 100 days, despite the NP being in darkness for 2.5+months. Presently the sun is 44 diameters below the horizon, as unseen from the NP. The warm fronts have also pushed Arctic cold, well south of the Arctic Circle. Thrice, Watson Lake, Yukon, only 917 miles north of Seattle, had temperatures plunge to -42,-40 & -38 degF, & flooding cold kept moving south, spreading across the U.S.
The arctic oscillation must be negative.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41842 Dec 8, 2013
drink the KKK-aid wrote:
..... if there is an unfortunate loss of life during this period it is with a high degree of confidence that we can conclude these souls are direct victims of Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption.
It is good that you finally mimic(since you don't understand) the truth.

litesong

Everett, WA

#41843 Dec 8, 2013
drink the KKK-aid wrote:
temperature here(Gillette, WY) to reach a blistering high of 1 degree F.
Glad to tell you that cold fronts are often directed to you, along the Rocky Mountain east front from Watson Lake, Yukon, which just the other day was -38degF. And the weather at Watson Lake often comes from the NP region, which is now warmer than average, because warm fronts from the south settled in. The AGW warm fronts increasingly have enough energy to push Arctic cold southward.

Again, glad to tell you, how AGW effects your life negatively.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41844 Dec 8, 2013
litesong wrote:
//////////
"fun farts" fluffed:
//////////
litesong wrote:
Historical widely fluctuating temperatures above the 80th parallel, have shown greater than global average AGW increases for half a century, plus...... one of the reasons for greater than normal AGW temperature gains in the Arctic. The AGW energy enhancements give Arctic cold fronts an extra boost to spread cold to the south, despite increased AGW warming already in the south.
Mothra

United States

#41845 Dec 8, 2013
litesong wrote:
litesong wrote:

litesong wrote:
Wow... now you're having a conversation with yourself.

Go troll elsewhere.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#41846 Dec 8, 2013
(Reuters)- A thaw of Arctic ice and snow is linked to worsening summer heatwaves and downpours thousands of miles south in Europe, the United States and other areas, underlying the scale of the threat posed by global warming, scientists said on Sunday.

Their report, which was dismissed as inconclusive by some other experts, warned of increasingly extreme weather across "much of North America and Eurasia where billions of people will be affected".

The study is part of a drive to work out how climate change affects the frequency of extreme weather, from droughts to floods. Governments want to know the trends to plan everything from water supplies to what crops to plant.

But the science of a warming Arctic is far from settled.

Writing in the journal Nature Climate Change, experts in China and the United States said they could not conclusively say the Arctic thaw caused more extreme weather, or vice versa.

But they said they had found evidence of a relationship between the two. Rising temperatures over thawing snow on land and sea ice in the Arctic were changing atmospheric pressure and winds, the report said.

The changes slowed the eastward movement of vast meandering weather systems and meant more time for extreme weather to develop - such as a heatwave in Russia in 2010, droughts in the United States and China in 2011 and 2012, or heavy summer rains that caused floods in Britain in 2012, the paper added.
Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#41847 Dec 8, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
(Reuters)- A thaw of Arctic ice and snow is linked to worsening summer heatwaves and downpours thousands of miles south in Europe, the United States and other areas, underlying the scale of the threat posed by global warming, scientists said on Sunday.
Their report, which was dismissed as inconclusive by some other experts, warned of increasingly extreme weather across "much of North America and Eurasia where billions of people will be affected".
The study is part of a drive to work out how climate change affects the frequency of extreme weather, from droughts to floods. Governments want to know the trends to plan everything from water supplies to what crops to plant.
But the science of a warming Arctic is far from settled.
Writing in the journal Nature Climate Change, experts in China and the United States said they could not conclusively say the Arctic thaw caused more extreme weather, or vice versa.
But they said they had found evidence of a relationship between the two. Rising temperatures over thawing snow on land and sea ice in the Arctic were changing atmospheric pressure and winds, the report said.
The changes slowed the eastward movement of vast meandering weather systems and meant more time for extreme weather to develop - such as a heatwave in Russia in 2010, droughts in the United States and China in 2011 and 2012, or heavy summer rains that caused floods in Britain in 2012, the paper added.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min TeaRumpster 1,395,099
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 min substandard 102,470
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 7 min GEORGIA 2,695
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 11 min SweLL GirL 8,878
Word (Dec '08) 12 min GEORGIA 6,414
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 16 min Ize Found 70,723
last post wins! (Apr '13) 25 min They cannot kill ... 1,111
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min Coffee Party 216,697
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages