Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 46,645
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#41693 Dec 3, 2013
WASHINGTON -- Climatic changes -- and the results of those changes -- could occur within decades or even sooner, and they are becoming a greater concern for scientists, according to a new paper from the National Academy of Sciences.

"The most challenging changes are the abrupt ones," said James White, a professor of geological sciences at the University of Colorado in Boulder and chair of the report committee. White and several coauthors of the paper spoke at a press conference Tuesday morning.

The paper focuses on those impacts due to climate change that can happen most quickly. Among these are the rapid decline in Arctic sea ice that scientists have seen in the last decade and increased extinction pressure on plants and animals caused by the rapidly warming climate.

Many such changes, according to Tony Barnosky, a professor in the Department of Integrative Biology at the University of California, Berkeley, are "things that people in this room will be around to see." He emphasized that scientists are "really worried about what's going to happen in the next several years or decades."

"The planet is going to be warmer than most species living on Earth today have seen it, including humans," said Barnosky. "The pace of change is orders of magnitude higher than what species have experienced in the last tens of millions of years."

<><><>< ><><><> <><><>< ><>

Deniers are liars.
Deniers are traitors.
Deniers are death-lovers.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41694 Dec 3, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
You do realize that NO one is reading.......
toxic topix AGW deniers stop reading when science is the material. toxic topix AGW deniers have no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas & have no science or mathematics degrees.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41695 Dec 3, 2013
truth farts wrote:
.....University professors that warn of this ,blah,blah,blah horsesh## makes me laugh.
toxic topix AGW deniers stop reading when science is the material. toxic topix AGW deniers have no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas & have no science or mathematics degrees.

toxic topix AGW deniers are baby dependent on a technical society, but have no idea how a technical future can or will unfold.
Democrat mother

Fullerton, CA

#41696 Dec 3, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
toxic topix AGW deniers are baby dependent on a technical society, but have no idea how a technical future can or will unfold.
Are you 12 years old?
Sam

London, KY

#41698 Dec 4, 2013
+++++++GOD NOW APPROVES OF SAME-SEX-MARRIAGEE!!!+++++++ God has changed His mind regarding Homosexuality!. God can change His mind on matters if He wants to, there are instances in the Bible where God does just that!. This time is no different. God has certainly been answering the big Gays prayers lately!, with their recent Supreme Court victories and all. God wouldn't answer me, a Straight guy!. You know, I once asked God for a wife, 5 months later, He gave me a wh**e!. I do admit, I did used to blaspheme God a couple years on down before this, but I stopped this. I figured this was the reason God raped me. If God didn't want to give me a wife, He sure as Hell didn't have to give me that rotten wh**e!!!. Because God bestowed this evil upon me, my blaspheming Him returned with a vengence!!!. I lay it on old God now and I don't care if I do go burn forever, HAHAHAHAHA!!!. I blaspheme God real good now. I do it more then I ever did and I myself, is a might proud of that fact, HAHAHAHAHA!!!...GIVE ME ANOTHER WH**E GOD!!!!!!!!!.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#41699 Dec 4, 2013
Your tax dollars at work. Last year, your taxes paid this:

Fossil fuel subsidies:$521.73.

Solar energy subsidies:$7.24.

Your bitching about green subsidies is misplaced.
Democrat mother

Fullerton, CA

#41700 Dec 4, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Your tax dollars at work. Last year, your taxes paid this:
Fossil fuel subsidies:$521.73.
Solar energy subsidies:$7.24.
Your bitching about green subsidies is misplaced.
That's impossible. Last year? 2012? Your figures are not correct. Come back when you have accurate information for 2012.
ObamaSCARE

Palm Coast, FL

#41701 Dec 4, 2013
Democrat mother wrote:
<quoted text>
That's impossible. Last year? 2012? Your figures are not correct. Come back when you have accurate information for 2012.
Why would you be silly enough to parade yourself as a "Democrat" mother after the liar-in-chief Obama has proven to be such a disgrace to the Democratic Party. Wake up and smell his snakeoil, woman!
U sick pervert

Minneapolis, MN

#41702 Dec 4, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, "acidpunk", I'll bet tropical cyclones even killed dinosaurs 100 million years ago.
But our concern is on what kills PEOPLE today. And in the future.
You think my family reunions have anything to do with the science? That just shows how little you know about science OR families.
So what makes the storms that "killed dinosaurs 100 million years ago" different from storms that kill people?
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41703 Dec 4, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
More rambling, incoherent insults?
Wow...
If that is the most intelligent contribution you can make in defense of CAGW Orthodoxy then you guys are really screwed.
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41704 Dec 4, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
More rambling, incoherent insults?
Wow...
If that is the most intelligent contribution you can make in defense of CAGW Orthodoxy then you guys are really screwed.
oh but 'b', he has done so much, when the roof of his fireworks shack collapsed he turned green and let the blackberry bushes cover it over. you can't even tell that all of his garbage is on that hillside. his 'magic' car has not been towed home yet from the bar down the hill, so we can't compute the fantastic milage that thing has been getting. he has been in the 'special' class for so long that he looks down on normal folks, we didn't get to ride on the 'special' bus so we are out of the loop, and just don't know the real stuff. it only rains after the dance has been done. gee wizz 'b' you should have known that.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41705 Dec 4, 2013
litesong wrote:
//////////
"democrat mom" muffed:
Are you 12 years old?
/////////
litesong wrote:
toxic topix AGW deniers, mostly re-pubic-lick-un, have percentage-wise considerably fewer technical, science & mathematical degrees than average. When toxic topix AGW deniers try to talk science, they talk oil, energy, business, re-pubic-lick-un propaganda PEE-R.
Democrat mother

Los Angeles, CA

#41706 Dec 4, 2013
ObamaSCARE wrote:
<quoted text> Why would you be silly enough to parade yourself as a "Democrat" mother after the liar-in-chief Obama has proven to be such a disgrace to the Democratic Party. Wake up and smell his snakeoil, woman!
Me and my fellow Democrats will vote Democratic NO MATTER WHAT.

Even if Obama wrecks the economy and the country (which I don't think he is doing), we Democrats will move on to vote for new Democrats that promise a brighter future in a clean green diverse world free of homophobia, racism and sexism.
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41707 Dec 4, 2013
U sick pervert wrote:
<quoted text>
So what makes the storms that "killed dinosaurs 100 million years ago" different from storms that kill people?
well 'pervert', 100 million years ago gore and his buddies were not trying to make money off of the weather. please pay as soon as you can. it is the only way.
ObamaSCARE

Palm Coast, FL

#41708 Dec 4, 2013
Democrat mother wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if Obama wrecks the economy and the country (which I don't think he is doing), we Democrats will move on to vote for new Democrats that promise a brighter future in a clean green diverse world free of homophobia, racism and sexism.
You should have stopped at "Even if Obama wrecks the economy and the country", because that is exactly what he is attempting to do. What a shame that you cannot or choose not to understand that! One does not have to be a "democrat" to embrace those other beliefs, but if you are so stuck on stupid as to believe that, too, you are welcome to fantasize.
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41709 Dec 4, 2013
Democrat mother wrote:
<quoted text>
I'am so sorry, mother, there will never be another democrat voted in.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#41710 Dec 4, 2013
ObamaSCARE wrote:
<quoted text> You should have stopped at "Even if Obama wrecks the economy and the country", because that is exactly what he is attempting to do. What a shame that you cannot or choose not to understand that! One does not have to be a "democrat" to embrace those other beliefs, but if you are so stuck on stupid as to believe that, too, you are welcome to fantasize.
Poor Thing!
It must be depressing to be so negative and obsessed.
Truth Facts

Chillicothe, OH

#41711 Dec 4, 2013
ObamaSCARE wrote:
<quoted text> You should have stopped at "Even if Obama wrecks the economy and the country", because that is exactly what he is attempting to do. What a shame that you cannot or choose not to understand that! One does not have to be a "democrat" to embrace those other beliefs, but if you are so stuck on stupid as to believe that, too, you are welcome to fantasize.
Great moniker and great post.Some sheep just need to be put out of their misery like this cartoon character "democrat mother fr".
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#41712 Dec 4, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Thing!
It must be depressing to be so negative and obsessed.
Republicans and right wingers in general are running scared. As the income divide worsens, the working Americans turn to the Democrats in large numbers for 'family values' while the wealthy tend to turn to the GOP. They get a little support from the really poor religious right but they need a lot more. This lowers their numbers drastically in most riding except for those 'wealthy enclaves' where they can rub shoulders with other rich whites and splits the vote in the rest of the regions with them being outnumbered by working families.

While gerrymandering of electoral boundaries guarantees the re-election of incumbents under almost any circumstance, the number of 'rich enclaves' is limited so in many cases they cannot muster the numbers to defeat the masses.

The only solution for them is pumping money in election advertising and it has failed to turn it around. The US is headed to a one party rule if they don't find some other way to rig the system.

So you cannot blame him for being scared and obsessed.
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41713 Dec 4, 2013
Democrat mother wrote:
<quoted text>
what a treat, hitler would be so proud. imagine if you will, total idiots running everything. no wait, the democrats already are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Tony Rome 1,109,988
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Uzi 68,470
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr J RULES 69,376
Protests Continue After Chicago Police Shoot 3r... 2 hr joey 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Whiny1 4,710
Ray "CHOCOLATE NEW ORLEANS" NEGRA goes to prison. 3 hr ShoulsLiveInBus 5
Amy 9-16 4 hr Zap Brannigan 55
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Jacques from Ottawa 178,034
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 hr Toj 98,226
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info