Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 62317 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Al Gore

Corona Del Mar, CA

#41633 Nov 27, 2013
Please visit my Crazy Carbon Credit Black Friday sale website. These prices are crazy!

All carbon credits are 30%-50% off!

Our selection is carbon credits is unmatched. We have emissions reduction credits, gas abatement credits, renewable energy certs. But you have to act now!

These prices won't last long!

That's Al Gore's Crazy Carbon Credit Emporium!

All major credit cards accepted.
Mothra

United States

#41635 Nov 27, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
So, basically, the more religious you are, the more stupid you are.
http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2013/1...
You're very "religious" about global warming.
Mothra

United States

#41636 Nov 27, 2013
>>The morons at Un-Skeptical Pseudo-Science have developed a “widget” for blogs, which purports to show the energy accumulated by “global warming” since 1998 in terms of the new Un-Sk Ps-Sc unit of energy, the ”Hiroshima bomb”(Hb).

In a desperate attempt to scare people, who generally will not have any idea of the huge amounts of energy involved in atmospheric heat transfers, the widget claims 4 Hbs-1 accumulating in the atmosphere due to AGW, and gives a running total. Quick, panic!

Well, not so fast, because the Sun, our life giving star, obliterates Earth with no less than one thousand Hbs-1. So the horribly scary 4 per second now seems rather tame, doesn’t it?

Apart from the callous and thoughtless tarnishing the memory of the thousands who died at Hiroshima, it just goes to show how low the headbangers at Un-Sk Ps-Sc will sink to peddle their tawdry brand of alarmism.

http://australianclimatemadness.com/2013/11/2...
Sexy Cali Girl

Corona Del Mar, CA

#41637 Nov 27, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So he wants to waterboard you, huh?
Maybe you'll survive.
I don't get it. Isn't waterboarding when you sit on a foam board pulled by the motorboat? I don't think that's is dangerous.

My boyfriend is really excited about the trip. He keeps giggling.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41638 Nov 27, 2013
motheaten wrote:
itself telling.
motheaten tells itself, it is smarter than people of science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, & pre-calc, displaying a prideful, yet poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa & no science & mathematics degrees.
Mothra

United States

#41639 Nov 27, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
motheaten tells itself, it is smarter than people of science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, & pre-calc, displaying a prideful, yet poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa & no science & mathematics degrees.
Ahh... the lame credentials argument again.

You just can't learn can you?

Go be irrelevant elsewhere.
Professor Emeritus Fellow

Corona Del Mar, CA

#41640 Nov 27, 2013
While it is entirely possible that the earth may be warming — as it has done so many times in the past — there is no rational basis whatsoever to support the contention that carbon-dioxide-driven global warming would be on the whole harmful to life and civilization. Quite the contrary: All available evidence supports the contention that human CO2 emissions offer great benefits to the earth’s community of life.

Putting aside for the moment the question of whether human industrial CO2 emissions are having an effect on climate, it is quite clear that they are raising atmospheric CO2 levels. As a result, they are having a strong and markedly positive effect on plant growth worldwide. There is no doubt about this. NASA satellite observations taken from orbit since 1958 show that, concurrent with the 19 percent increase in atmospheric CO2 over the past half century, the rate of plant growth in the continental United States has increased by 14 percent. Studies done at Oak Ridge National Lab on forest trees have shown that increasing the carbon dioxide level 50 percent, to the 550 parts per million level projected to prevail at the end of the 21 century, will likely increase photosynthetic productivity by a further 24 percent. This is readily reproducible laboratory science. If CO2 levels are increased, the rate of plant growth will accelerate.

Now let us consider the question of warming: If it is occurring — and I believe it is, based not on disputable temperature measurements but on sea levels, which have risen two inches in two decades — is it a good thing or a bad thing? Answer: It is a very good thing. Global warming would increase the rate of evaporation from the oceans. This would increase rainfall worldwide. In addition, global warming would lengthen the growing season, thereby increasing still further the bounty of both agriculture and nature.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#41641 Nov 27, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... If that is the most intelligent contribution you can make in defense of CAGW Orthodoxy then
you guys are really screwed.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#41642 Nov 28, 2013
Professor Emeritus Fellow wrote:
While it is entirely possible that the earth may be warming — as it has done so many times in the past — there is no rational basis whatsoever to support the contention that carbon-dioxide-driven global warming would be on the whole harmful to life and civilization. Quite the contrary: All available evidence supports the contention that human CO2 emissions offer great benefits to the earth’s community of life.
Putting aside for the moment the question of whether human industrial CO2 emissions are having an effect on climate, it is quite clear that they are raising atmospheric CO2 levels. As a result, they are having a strong and markedly positive effect on plant growth worldwide. There is no doubt about this. NASA satellite observations taken from orbit since 1958 show that, concurrent with the 19 percent increase in atmospheric CO2 over the past half century, the rate of plant growth in the continental United States has increased by 14 percent. Studies done at Oak Ridge National Lab on forest trees have shown that increasing the carbon dioxide level 50 percent, to the 550 parts per million level projected to prevail at the end of the 21 century, will likely increase photosynthetic productivity by a further 24 percent. This is readily reproducible laboratory science. If CO2 levels are increased, the rate of plant growth will accelerate.
Now let us consider the question of warming: If it is occurring — and I believe it is, based not on disputable temperature measurements but on sea levels, which have risen two inches in two decades — is it a good thing or a bad thing? Answer: It is a very good thing. Global warming would increase the rate of evaporation from the oceans. This would increase rainfall worldwide. In addition, global warming would lengthen the growing season, thereby increasing still further the bounty of both agriculture and nature.
Global warming as brought to you by the fossil fuel industry and economic and religious fundamentalists.

Unfortunately it not based on science but on wishful thinking.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#41644 Nov 28, 2013
While it is entirely possible that the earth may be warming there is no rational basis whatsoever to support the contention that carbon-dioxide-driven global warming would be on the whole harmful to life and civilization.
Well. If it isn't old Brian_G in a new 'incarnation'. Were you 'born again'?
zhangmeerkat

Missoula, MT

#41645 Nov 28, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually a faster solution would be to set off all the nuclear weapons at once. All the worlds problems solved in just a few seconds. Kinda hard on the enviroment, espically if they were all detonated in one location.
The illuminati elite have that planned someday. Did you know they want to establish a one world order, then depopulate the Earth by 80% because a smaller population is easier to control. Get on youtube and search "what is an illuminati". You'll learn a lot about where this world is headed. It falls in line with the Book of Revelation. Hear a little of what Alex Jones has to say also.
litesong

Everett, WA

#41646 Nov 28, 2013
litesong wrote:
motheaten tells itself, it is smarter than people of science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, & pre-calc, displaying a prideful, yet poorly (or not) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa & no science & mathematics degrees.
////////
motheaten muffs:
Ahh... the lame credentials argument.......
You just can't learn can you?
Go be irrelevant elsewhere.
////////
litesong wrote:
motheaten went elsewhere to get irrelevant credentials, but what is relevant is it did not learn & has no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, & pre-calc, for a poorly (or not) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa & no science & mathematics degrees.

motheaten loves the educationless life.
gcaveman1

San Antonio, TX

#41647 Nov 28, 2013
If it weren't for a few other small matters, like ocean acidification and sea level rise, you might be right.

So by ignoring those effects, we can pretty much figure that you're wrong about everything.
gcaveman1

Houston, TX

#41648 Nov 28, 2013
zhangmeerkat wrote:
<quoted text>The illuminati elite have that planned someday. Did you know they want to establish a one world order, then depopulate the Earth by 80% because a smaller population is easier to control. Get on youtube and search "what is an illuminati". You'll learn a lot about where this world is headed. It falls in line with the Book of Revelation. Hear a little of what Alex Jones has to say also.
If you listen to Alex Jones, you can't listen to reason, and so, no one should listen to you.
zhangmeerkat

Missoula, MT

#41649 Nov 28, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you listen to Alex Jones, you can't listen to reason, and so, no one should listen to you.
Really??? You will know when the S H T F someday. Don't say no one told you so.
Hot coed blond babe

Fullerton, CA

#41650 Nov 29, 2013
That all makes sense from a scientific viewpoint. Lots of indisputable facts. Thanks!
litesong

Everett, WA

#41651 Nov 29, 2013
luke-warm blond baby wrote:
That all makes sense from a scientific viewpoint.
Its good to hear that a toxic topix AGW denier has science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, & pre-calc in its well earned hi skule DEE-plooomaa & has science & mathematics degrees.......... NOT!!!
Sam

Mount Vernon, KY

#41652 Nov 29, 2013
+++++++GOD NOW APPROVES OF SAME-SEX-MARRIAGE!!!+++++++ God has changed His mind regarding Homosexuality!. God can change His mind on matters if He wants to, there are instances in the Bible where God does just that!. This time is no different. God has certainly been answering the big Gays prayers lately!, with their recent Supreme Court victories and all. God wouldn't answer me, a Straight guy!. You know, I once asked God for a wife, 5 months later, He gave me a wh**e!. I do admit, I did used to blaspheme God a couple years on down before this, but I stopped this. I figured this was the reason God raped me. If God didn't want to give me a wife, He sure as Hell didn't have to give me that rotten wh**e!!!. Because God bestowed this evil upon me, my blaspheming Him returned with a vengence!!!. I lay it on old God now and I don't care if I do go burn forever, HAHAHAHAHA!!!. I blaspheme God real good now. I do it more then I ever did and I myself, is a might proud of that fact, HAHAHAHAHA!!!...GIVE ME ANOTHER WH**E GOD!!!!!!!!!.
Mothra

United States

#41653 Nov 29, 2013
Almost 1000 record low max temps vs 17 record high temps

Records in the last 7 days:

205 snowfall records.
969 Low Max. 203 Low temps.
17 High Temp.
61 High minimum.

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/11/29/nearly...

I know, I know... only warmists can claim weather is climate.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#41654 Nov 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
Almost 1000 record low max temps vs 17 record high temps
Records in the last 7 days:
205 snowfall records.
969 Low Max. 203 Low temps.
17 High Temp.
61 High minimum.
http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/11/29/nearly...
I know, I know... only warmists can claim weather is climate.
And why is the Arctic weather system becoming unstable and dumping cold air over the top of the northern hemisphere?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Color of Crime in Chicago. 8 min ScrewHRC-NPelosi 15
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Susanm 1,458,593
Should TRUMP use this? 15 min YES4Sure ITs True 9
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 231,058
last post wins! (Dec '10) 4 hr honeymylove 2,752
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Susanm 9,853
last post wins! (Apr '13) 5 hr honeymylove 1,956
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr Legal Analysis 104,521

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages