Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 63559 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

SpaceBlues

United States

#41319 Nov 14, 2013
LOL. Look at the troll action. WOW. They love those judgeits with their trolling action.

Nice.
Mothra

United States

#41320 Nov 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
LOL. Look at the troll action. WOW. They love those judgeits with their trolling action.
Nice.
You think so little of litesong.

Don't feel bad -- I don't either.
Mothra

United States

#41321 Nov 14, 2013
Speaking of short term trends...

Every month SpaceBlues was citing NOAA temperature records with glee... cuz they were showing increases.

But he stopped doing that. Wonder why?

"The average temperature for the contiguous United States during October was 53.6°F, 0.6°F below the 20thcentury average, making it the 37th coolest October on record."

"The year-to-date contiguous U.S. temperature was 55.7°F, 0.7°F above the 20th century average, and the 32nd warmest January-October on record."

"When comparing the national temperature departure from average for the January-October period as calculated by NCDC's operational dataset (USHCN) to the U.S. Climate Reference Network (USCRN), the USHCN temperature anomaly was 0.05°F less than the USCRN anomaly value. The USHCN-based temperature was 0.16°F below the 1981-2010 average and the USCRN-based temperature was 0.11°F below the 1981-2010 average."

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2013/1...

37th, 23rd... not even Top 10 stuff here.

Shucks... nothing like some inconvenient 'truth', is there?

LOL
litesong

Everett, WA

#41322 Nov 14, 2013
motheaten wrote:
jackass loon
Jackalope......
Mothra

United States

#41323 Nov 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
loon
litesong

Everett, WA

#41324 Nov 14, 2013
motheaten wrote:
.... hold AGW advocates to some sort of standards.
Once education standards are sorted, toxic topix AGW deniers hold almost no science & mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#41325 Nov 14, 2013
Mothra wrote:
Speaking of short term trends...
Every month SpaceBlues was citing NOAA temperature records with glee... cuz they were showing increases.
But he stopped doing that. Wonder why?
"The average temperature for the contiguous United States during October was 53.6°F, 0.6°F below the 20thcentury average, making it the 37th coolest October on record."
"The year-to-date contiguous U.S. temperature was 55.7°F, 0.7°F above the 20th century average, and the 32nd warmest January-October on record."
"When comparing the national temperature departure from average for the January-October period as calculated by NCDC's operational dataset (USHCN) to the U.S. Climate Reference Network (USCRN), the USHCN temperature anomaly was 0.05°F less than the USCRN anomaly value. The USHCN-based temperature was 0.16°F below the 1981-2010 average and the USCRN-based temperature was 0.11°F below the 1981-2010 average."
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2013/1...
37th, 23rd... not even Top 10 stuff here.
Shucks... nothing like some inconvenient 'truth', is there?
LOL
What is so difficult a bout this?
A new study by British and Canadian researchers shows that the global temperature rise of the past 15 years has been greatly underestimated. The reason is the data gaps in the weather station network, especially in the Arctic. If you fill these data gaps using satellite measurements, the warming trend is more than doubled in the widely used HadCRUT4 data, and the much-discussed “warming pause” has virtually disappeared.

http://www.realclimate.org/images//Cowtan.png
heavytune

Seattle, WA

#41326 Nov 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Once education standards are sorted, toxic topix AGW deniers hold almost no science & mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.
oh 'litesong', we know how hard it was for you to be in the 'special class' for so many years. if only they would have taught you some common sense. too late now. you must be one of obama's advisers, from what you post. funny stuff.

“BET DAP”

Since: Feb 09

GOOM BOWN

#41327 Nov 14, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>hahahaha awwwww
Aren't you a lovely sensationalist!
you mean realist, son.
Coal is King

Paducah, KY

#41328 Nov 14, 2013
More voices from the coalfields.

From Jeffersonville, KY:

“Coal is not the problem .The problem is that democrat in Washington that all these democrats like you said to vote for .If wind power worked with all the hot air Obama has been blowing our energy problem would be solved.Obama is not a Biblical leader and we are set up for failure. Obama is going to enslave us and we are headed for a socialist regime. The man doesn't pray to the one true living God in my opinion!I think Obama Husein plans on bankrupting our banks and destroying our nation.”

“This is more than losing our money or our way of living, its losing our world.Its like losing the world we were raised in .We dont want Obamas world of socialism.We want a capitalist world and work with our own hands.I think that is as industrial as it gets.We need every form of industry but we need coal. This is a war to stop us from becoming more industrious .The "blessing"would be the end of Obamas term!”

From Corbin, KY:

“I was watching the news the other day & they had a farmer or farmers they grow corn. Weather has been so bad this year it's not growing. They have pay for it to feed their pigs & since the Goverment has pushed so many fuel companies to have the corn fuel (whatever) the price is very high. That wouldn't be an issue if the Goverment wasn't determined to get of coal as a power source. Right? I mean it is affecting the whole country right now. Not just this area.”

From Columbus, OH:

“Coal miners are people who want to WORK, not be on welfare, food stamps, unemployment ect. For those who say get another job. Well those aren't out there. This event is to support our miners in hopes of bringing attention as far as to the white house, so they don't lose their jobs. Yes, this won't solve the problem. But it is a start in getting attention through strength in numbers. No one thinks this will fix it but I can assure you that everyone in that line will also be voting and that will make a difference. Bottom line is, anyone who cuts down a hard working person or a person trying to help people they don't even know, is pathetic. We need our jobs and we appreciate all the support but feel sorry for someone who doesn't respect their neighbors when they are scared and need help. Me and my family will be in that "silly" line on saturday, because we support our friends, family, neighbors and our community!”
Mothra

United States

#41329 Nov 14, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Once education standards are sorted, toxic topix AGW deniers hold almost no science & mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.
Gawd you're just a freaking idiot.

loon.
Mothra

United States

#41330 Nov 14, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What is so difficult a bout this?
A new study by British and Canadian researchers shows that the global temperature rise of the past 15 years has been greatly underestimated. The reason is the data gaps in the weather station network, especially in the Arctic. If you fill these data gaps using satellite measurements, the warming trend is more than doubled in the widely used HadCRUT4 data, and the much-discussed “warming pause” has virtually disappeared.
http://www.realclimate.org/images//Cowtan.png
Also from skeptical science;

How to use short timeframes to distort reality: a guide to cherrypicking

http://www.skepticalscience.com/cherrypicking ...

Hmmm... 15 years... sounds like a 'short term trend' analysis.

d'Oh!
litesong

Everett, WA

#41331 Nov 14, 2013
motheaten wrote:
loon.
Hear the pure clear true tones of the Loon:

toxic topix AGW deniers hold almost no science & mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas.

The less education in science & mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra, or pre-calc in their poorly (or non-) earned hi skule DEE-plooomaas, the more likely they are toxic topix AGW deniers.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#41333 Nov 14, 2013
Coal is King wrote:
More voices from the coalfields.
..........
“Coal miners are people who want to WORK, not be on welfare, food stamps, unemployment ect. For those who say get another job. Well those aren't out there. This event is to support our miners in hopes of bringing attention as far as to the white house, so they don't lose their jobs. Yes, this won't solve the problem. But it is a start in getting attention through strength in numbers. No one thinks this will fix it but I can assure you that everyone in that line will also be voting and that will make a difference. Bottom line is, anyone who cuts down a hard working person or a person trying to help people they don't even know, is pathetic. We need our jobs and we appreciate all the support but feel sorry for someone who doesn't respect their neighbors when they are scared and need help. Me and my family will be in that "silly" line on saturday, because we support our friends, family, neighbors and our community!”
Point is did all the blacksmiths starve to death with the invention of the automobile ? I don't think so, maybe some of them learn't to forge spare parts who knows. Were there any picket lines protesting against Henry Ford, he would have been the villain then. But it was progress, and Republicans use to embrace it once. Only in the past decade not so much.
Clean energy is progress, there is just as much money to be made to have processes to burn coal clean than it is to dig it up.
If not then it will become worthless in the modern age, either adapt or die. It was how the country was built.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41334 Nov 14, 2013
http://gawker.com/good-news-for-bored-people-...

I can testify; disasters are exciting!
Breaking

Fullerton, CA

#41335 Nov 14, 2013
There is no global warming problem. Get that out of your head, right now.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#41336 Nov 14, 2013
Breaking wrote:
There is no global warming problem. Get that out of your head, right now.
And you're going to prove it, right?
Mothra

United States

#41337 Nov 15, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
wow... from loon to jackass.

Your mom must be so proud.
Organizer

Fullerton, CA

#41338 Nov 15, 2013
Breaking wrote:
There is no global warming problem. Get that out of your head, right now.
Hey didn't you hear about the big storm in Asia?
SpaceBlues

United States

#41339 Nov 15, 2013
Before jumping into the dogfight, the book tells us the human story of how Mann got started in science. It was surprising to learn that his PhD began with the notion that natural variability might be greater than what climate scientists thought. I also didn't realize he'd coined the term "Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation" (AMO) off the cuff in an interview (that's the kind of trivia that a science geek like me delights in). Ironically the AMO and natural oscillations are often invoked by contrarians to cast doubt on the human influence on global warming.

Mann also describes the progress of paleoclimate science through the 1990s which puts his 1998 hockey stick research in a broader perspective. The hockey stick paper focused on all the "scientifically interesting" periods of regional climate change over the last 600 years. So a phrase that jumped out at me was Mann's characterization that the "least scientifically interesting" thing he could do with all his regional data was average it out to find the hemispheric average. It was this "least scientifically interesting" graph that sparked a smear campaign against the graph and against Michael Mann that has lasted over a decade.[from Book review - The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars now Available in Paperback]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min JRB 239,507
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael Madigan as ? 2 min tom 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,508,957
Obama has LEAK under sink. 3 hr TroyTheTruePlumber 38
Graduation in Detroit. 5 hr De Bow 2
The Scoop on Weiner. 10 hr Is he Circumcised 3
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 10 hr Halal-muslims 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages