Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,184
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Carrah

United States

#41020 Nov 1, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all in a market stall if you were buying $2 organic apples against the stall next door that sold for .50c but used tonnes of sprays and fertiliser to grow them who would you buy from ??? It's the same with alternative energy, unless the price goes up to its real value and a tax on it's emissions for generation then the poor ole solar panel doesn't have a chance. It needs sky high energy prices to become viable, not compete in a lop-sided market. People will not change their habits on a "feel good" basis you have to hit them in the pocket to do it.
As for AHC, to every other country on the planet it is viewed as a fundamental human right. That is, in a civilised world we look after each other when we are sick. The irony of that is everywhere even in the redneck states where they won't execute a criminal who is sick, they have to get them well first then kill them. I mean what is the point of paying for a Military in the terms of billion$ of dollars to protect American interests. Yet on the other hand saying if you get sick, well f...k you! look after yourself. There is not an ounce of logic in that sort of thinking. Wether it be laws of the land or road rules those things exist to protect the population as a whole. Not just those who can afford to drive a car. Health care in the USA is more expensive by a factor of one third than anywhere else in the world. That is NOT because its the best, the French have a far more healthier population than the US, so go figure. Something is wrong with that system. The whole point of universal health care is to make sure EVERYONE is covered. So to keep premiums down all the healthy 20 somethings are paying their share of health as well. That's how it works, sure it costs more because we all live longer these days so unless they make it mandatory to die at 75 it will keep going up. Why because birth rates are in negative territory which will also hit China hard in the next decade or so with its one child policy.
Apparently you don't pay attention to the number of Americans who are under employed or without jobs and on public assistance of some kind...the number is 47%. Raising utilities prices causes prices to be raised across the board as in food, gasoline, etc. which is a really bad idea during a downturn in the economy. We are still anemic in our economic growth so this isn't a viable or sustainable suggestion.

France? Did you really suggest we be more like France? LOL, their
tax rate is 75% and we all should be aware of the migration of the wealthy out of France! As far as ACA, Forbes is estimating 93 million will lose healthcare coverage in the individual and employer market that is not an improvement when prior statistics 85% were covered with a policy they like for themselves and their families. Several large company sponsored policies no longer cover spouses and children causing large expense for those families to try and cover spouse and children. These changes hit the middle class the same as a 30% tax. Real consequences for real people. Remember the middle class which has been decimated? Think what that means to a lower middle class or poor worker and their families? This isn't the mean old insurance company punishing policy holders it's the law of the land and insurance companies have to comply or face huge liabilities legally.

Climate- aggregate means temp has not increased for the last 15 years. If we have global warming then we should be able to prove continued warming during the last 15 years.

I have been a business owner and had employees and their families depend on me to keep them employed in a stable work and income environment. Higher taxes and regulations stifle and eventually kill small business. Congress is supposed to represent the will of the people who sent them not walk lockstep with an out of control government run by obviously incompetent utopian dreamers.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#41021 Nov 1, 2013
Washington, DC - infoZine - Red Fox James, a Blackfeet Indian, rode horseback from state to state, getting endorsements from 24 state governments, to have a day to honor American Indians. In 1990, President George H.W. Bush signed a joint congressional resolution designating November 1990 as “National American Indian Heritage Month.” Similar proclamations have been issued every year since 1994.
Jeff

Beckley, WV

#41022 Nov 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You are welcome that I confirmed "deaf jeff" is deaf, dumb, & has no science or mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc for its poorly or unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa.
Of course, you have no way of confirming anything, because you are "deaf jeff" who is deaf, dumb, & has no science or mathematics degrees, & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc for its poorly or unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa..
So, with all your supposed education, tell us, what has stopped you from installing a wind generator so that instead of just ranting about global warming you are actually doing something about it?

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#41023 Nov 1, 2013
It rained heavily all day yesterday. Today is sunny and clear. Weather changes.....nothing can be or should be done about it. I like variability.....but like summer the most. If co2 creates a warmer climate (which is doesn't) I'm all for pumping more into the atmosphere.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#41024 Nov 1, 2013
Nearly all life on Earth could go extinct because of manmade climate change.

And maybe not.

Place your bets, people. What have you got to lose?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#41026 Nov 1, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all never spoil a good story with facts. For a start Solyndra was not given 500 billion it was $525 million. That's quite a big difference when comparing apples with apples.
The fossil fuel industry gets subsidies globally $1.9 Trillion a year..
And you can prove that?

btw, a tax subsidy is not the same thing as a deduction that applies to other industries.

You know that, but prefer to rewrite that language to suit your political agenda.
natasha

Kathmandu, Nepal

#41027 Nov 1, 2013
This movie resembles the above topic clearly. Watch it at the link below.

http://justmovi.com/movie/watch-bad-grandpa-2...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#41028 Nov 1, 2013
Carrah wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you don't pay attention to the number of Americans who are under employed or without jobs and on public assistance of some kind...the number is 47%. Raising utilities prices causes prices to be raised across the board as in food, gasoline, etc. which is a really bad idea during a downturn in the economy. We are still anemic in our economic growth so this isn't a viable or sustainable suggestion.
France? Did you really suggest we be more like France? LOL, their
tax rate is 75% and we all should be aware of the migration of the wealthy out of France!.........
You need a good dose or reality, this obsession with taxes is only a talking point in a blind belief of who gets the most benefit & in the meantime wealth keeps being moved up the chain rewarding only the top 4% of the population.
For a start a French doctor does not make anywhere near his/her American equivalent but their McDonalds worker will make almost double the hourly rate of a US McDonalds employee. So the wealth distribution amongst the population is wider spread. They still have their 1%'ers and dirt poor but a health care system that works. Scandinavian countries tax very high but their quality of life is far higher. Google the top 15 healthiest countries and the USA doesn't even make the cut its right down amongst 30's just ahead of Bosnia. So what does that tell you about US Health care ??? You really have no idea what you think you are defending.

Growth is still fragile world wide because all previous growth was done on the credit card and not real. So it's not just a US problem. Alternative energy could be a new driving force for the economy but no fossil fuel company is going to sponsor it. So of course that has to come from government until its a viable competitor then it can be in a open market like anything else.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#41030 Nov 1, 2013
Fukushima news from ABC NEWS yesterday.. One slip-up in the latest step to decommission Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant could trigger a "monumental" chain reaction, experts warn.

Within days, Fukushima nuclear plant operators will begin what is being described as the most dangerous phase of the decommissioning process so far.

In an operation never before attempted, the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) will start removing 1,331 highly radioactive used fuel assemblies from a deep pool which sits high above the ground in a shattered reactor building.

The Fukushima nuclear plant's reactors were sent into meltdown by an earthquake and tsunami in 2011 in the world's worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl.

Experts around the world have warned ever since that the fuel pool is in a precarious state - vulnerable to collapsing in another big earthquake.

Yale University professor Charles Perrow wrote about the number 4 fuel pool this year in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.

He said one pool contains 10 times the amount of radioactive caesium present in the Chernobyl disaster and warned one slip-up with the removal could trigger a chain reaction.

"This has me very scared," he told the ABC.

"Tokyo would have to be evacuated because [the] caesium and other poisons that are there will spread very rapidly.

"Even if the wind is blowing in the other way, it's going to be monumental."
Drhuh

Havertown, PA

#41031 Nov 1, 2013
Look man just vote dem
No no scratch that vote rep
Trust me if you pick a team you'll win
Just keep fighting each other
Go team don't think
We could all vote Mickey Mouse and who ever has already been selected by the real power
Will win, and we lose
Have fun watching the map turn blue and red on election night

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#41032 Nov 1, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Nearly all life on Earth could go extinct because of manmade climate change. And maybe not. Place your bets, people. What have you got to lose?
Life is risky, more than 15,000 died from the tsunami but not one has died from radiation released by Fukushima.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#41033 Nov 1, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Life is risky, more than 15,000 died from the tsunami but not one has died from radiation released by Fukushima.
There are/will be radiation deaths in Fukushima.. the matter is still ongoing.

Read up on it, lying troll.
Retired Farmer

Princeton, KY

#41034 Nov 1, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
Nearly all life on Earth could go extinct because of manmade climate change.
And maybe not.
Place your bets, people. What have you got to lose?
I have enough faith in nature - and have read enough Geology books - to know that manmade climate change will not cause the extinction of nearly all life on earth. Thoroughout geologic time catastrophic changes have usually just killed the most advanced species. This time it will be humans. Once we're gone, nature will then kick evolution into high gear just like it did after the end of the dinosaurs and repair the ecosystems.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#41035 Nov 1, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have enough faith in nature - and have read enough Geology books - to know that manmade climate change will not cause the extinction of nearly all life on earth. Thoroughout geologic time catastrophic changes have usually just killed the most advanced species. This time it will be humans. Once we're gone, nature will then kick evolution into high gear just like it did after the end of the dinosaurs and repair the ecosystems.
Surprisingly, I am eager to come back somehow as one of the more advanced..

This post is to register my name. LOL.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41036 Nov 1, 2013
deaf jeff wrote:
litesong, is it your 13th birthday ....
At age 13, I understood more science & mathematics than "deaf jeff" ever had.
Jeff

Beckley, WV

#41037 Nov 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
At age 13, I understood more science & mathematics than "deaf jeff" ever had.
Sure, ok, there litesong, but you still have not or cannot answer a simple question, so I guess education just made you educated, not smart. Why are you not actually doing something about warming instead of just whining? No solar, you did give a fair excuse for that, although I am sure along with your non-existent wind generator, it would go far in showing you stand behind your rhetoric. Drive an electric vehicle? I see Chevy Volt sales have dropped again. WHY? Seems all you warmist would be standing in line for them. Oh, that matter of all talk, little action.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41038 Nov 1, 2013
deaf jeff wrote:
So, with all your supposed education.....
With your lack of science & mathematics education, we know why you are a toxic topix AGW denier...... & self-righteous......probably developing skills to add more immoral characteristics to your resume.
Jeff

Beckley, WV

#41039 Nov 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
With your lack of science & mathematics education, we know why you are a toxic topix AGW denier...... & self-righteous......probably developing skills to add more immoral characteristics to your resume.
I do wish your education had prepared you to deal with real life and the ability to answer questions. Self righteous? Looking back over your post, that describes you perfectly. Still does not help you in the common sense department. Are you just unwilling to answer the question, is it that embarrassing to you? I mean all you have to do is admit you post a lot about the subject, yet are unwilling to personally put forth the effort.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#41040 Nov 1, 2013
deaf jeff wrote:
Are you just unwilling...... unwilling......
"deaf jeff" was unwilling(but mostly unable) to get mathematics & science degrees & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly or unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. But here it is, egotistically believing it knows more science & mathematics than climate scientists do, who have 10 to 14 years more training than "deaf jeff".
Jeff

Beckley, WV

#41041 Nov 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"deaf jeff" was unwilling(but mostly unable) to get mathematics & science degrees & no science, chemistry, astronomy, physics, algebra or pre-calc in its poorly or unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. But here it is, egotistically believing it knows more science & mathematics than climate scientists do, who have 10 to 14 years more training than "deaf jeff".
Wow! Ok, we admit, you are another internet wunderkind. But show me anywhere I talked about my getting degrees, education, or even questioning scientific facts? I will wait on your response.

Another response I am still waiting on is yours, a simple one that even with all your "supposed" education, you cannot answer. I will ask it again. What did your wind generation setup cost you? You said solar was out of the question for you, but wind would be optimal, especially in your geographic area. Now you can keep up the childish taunts about education or lack of, trying to throw the discussion off track, but in my case, it will not work, intimidation is something I shrug off. Answering questions is something you do shrug off. Now you can answer why you only want others to do the hard work in as you like to say, mitigating global warming, while you do the preaching. Is it because it would cost you too much? Too much effort on your part? Or are you just not a real believer, an internet warrior? Put all that education, if you really have it, to some use.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr EasyEed 1,153,938
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Sunshine 181,798
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr Roxie Darling 361
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr Roxie Darling 718
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr cheluzal 98,851
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 6 hr barefoot2626 16
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) 6 hr Cracker Jack 40
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago