Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 48,354
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
heavy tune

Seattle, WA

#40773 Oct 23, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>And they die there, duh.
Reply from AMS Journal: Studies, public reports, news reports, and Web sites cite a wide range of values associated with deaths resulting from excessive heat and excessive cold. For example, in the United States, the National Climatic Data Center's Storm Data statistics of temperature- related deaths are skewed heavily toward heat-related deaths, while the National Center for Health Statistics Compressed Mortality Database indicates the reverse—4 times more people die of “excessive cold” conditions in a given year than of “excessive heat.” In this study, we address the fundamental differences in the various temperature-related mortality databases, assess their benefits and limitations, and offer suggestions as to their use. These datasets suffer from potential incompleteness of source information, long compilation times, limited quality control, and the subjective determination of a direct versus indirect cause of death. In general, these separate mortality datasets should not be combined or compared, particularly with regard to policy determination. The use of gross mortality numbers appears to be one of the best means of determining temperature-related mortality, but those data must be detrended into order to remove a persistent winter-dominant death maximum and are difficult to obtain on a regional daily basis.
P.S. Remember humans have lived mostly in the moderate and hot regions globally. Naturally, annual heat deaths are much more rationally speaking.
wow 'space' your the type of nutcase these global warming loons are looking for.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#40774 Oct 23, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
In an article entitled,“The impact of global warming on health and mortality,” published in the Southern Medical Journal in 2004, W.R. Keatinge and G.C. Donaldson of Queen Mary’s School of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of London note:
“Cold-related deaths are far more numerous than heat-related deaths in the United States, Europe, and almost all countries outside the tropics, and almost all of them are due to common illnesses that are increased by cold.”
“From 1979 to 1997, extreme cold killed roughly twice as many Americans as heat waves, according to Indur Goklany of the U.S. Department of the Interior,” Singer and Avery write.“Cold spells, in other words, are twice as dangerous to our health as hot weather.”
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/19/some-fa...
see figure 1
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
LOL.

wattsupwiththat quotes wiki.answers quotes Fred Singer, who took tobacco money for years to deny smoking kills, and now takes fossil fuel money to deny the risks of AGW.

Who needs peer reviewed science when you have a paper trail like that?
For their part, though, global warming skeptics such as atmospheric physicist Fred Singer maintain that cold weather snaps are responsible for more human deaths than warm temperatures and heat waves.“The elderly die in inadequately heated homes. People get skull fractures from falls on the ice. Men die of heart attacks while shoveling snow. People get colds, flu, pneumonia and other respiratory diseases. Infectious diseases proliferate. Hospital admissions rise.” Singer, founder of the Science and Environmental Policy Project, concludes that since global warming would raise maximum summer temperatures modestly while raising winter minimum temperatures significantly, it “should help reduce human death rates.”

A team of Harvard researchers found otherwise. Their July 2007 study, published in the peer-reviewed Occupational and Environment Medicine, found that global warming is likely to cause more deaths in summer because of higher temperatures, but not fewer deaths in milder winters. In analyzing weather data related to the deaths of 6.5 million people in 50 American cities between 1989 and 2000, the researchers found that during two-day cold snaps there was a 1.59 percent increase in deaths because of the extreme temperatures. But in similar periods of extremely hot weather, mortality rates increased 5.74 percent.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40776 Oct 23, 2013
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text>wow 'space' your the type of nutcase these global warming loons are looking for.
Hey kal..

Let's face it.. you did not comprehend my post as usual.. there's no more tina but you LOL.

"the green troll"

#40777 Oct 23, 2013
heavy tune wrote:
<quoted text>wow 'space' your the type of nutcase these global warming loons are looking for.
Hello ritedownthemiddl e.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#40778 Oct 23, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
In an article entitled,“The impact of global warming on health and mortality,” published in the Southern Medical Journal in 2004, W.R. Keatinge and G.C. Donaldson of Queen Mary’s School of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of London note:
“Cold-related deaths are far more numerous than heat-related deaths in the United States, Europe, and almost all countries outside the tropics, and almost all of them are due to common illnesses that are increased by cold.”
“From 1979 to 1997, extreme cold killed roughly twice as many Americans as heat waves, according to Indur Goklany of the U.S. Department of the Interior,” Singer and Avery write.“Cold spells, in other words, are twice as dangerous to our health as hot weather.”
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/19/some-fa...
see figure 1
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indi...
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/pdfs/print_h...

Data for this indicator were provided by the
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Preven
-
tion (CDC). The 1979–2009 underlying cause
data are publicly available through the CDC
WONDER database at:
http://wonder.cdc.gov/
mortSQL.htm
l. The 1999–2009 analysis was
developed by CDC’s Environmental Public
Health Tracking Program, which provides
a summary at:
www.cdc.gov/nceh/tracking

Watts as well as Singer and Avery are not a good sources as they are very biased.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40781 Oct 23, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I thought "kal."
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40782 Oct 23, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
Fred Singer took tobacco money for years to deny smoking kills, and now takes fossil fuel money to deny the risks of AGW.
//////////
motheaten muffed:
... the classic appeal to authority.......
//////////
litesong wrote:
In truth, the classic smoking industry-fossil fuel connection.

......the pure, true tones of the Loon.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40785 Oct 23, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/pdfs/print_h...
Data for this indicator were provided by the
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Preven
-
tion (CDC). The 1979–2009 underlying cause
data are publicly available through the CDC
WONDER database at:
http://wonder.cdc.gov/
mortSQL.htm
l. The 1999–2009 analysis was
developed by CDC’s Environmental Public
Health Tracking Program, which provides
a summary at:
www.cdc.gov/nceh/tracking
Watts as well as Singer and Avery are not a good sources as they are very biased.
Then Lindzen..

Money has created a parallel neighborhood..
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#40786 Oct 23, 2013
Bogged down in minutia.

No evidence yet offered that climate change won't radically alter our world.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40787 Oct 23, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You're attempting to prove that it's global warming exclusive of any other evidence.
More people >> more fires ... FACT
Poor land/forest management >> more destructive fires ... FACT
"It's all about the frequency, not a growing population."
Absurd argument. If there's more people, the chances of a fire increases.
Inserting global warming??
... contrived argument.
This is where you fall into a hole, you want to state more people equals more fires as fact. BTW National Parks don't change size over 100's of years unless of course a fossil fuel sympathetic government is in power then its drill baby drill National park or not!

On the other hand more people does not contribute anything at all to global warming, that's a fantasy thought up by misguided science.

I think we all know who is misguided here!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#40788 Oct 24, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
LOL. wattsupwiththat quotes wiki.answers quotes Fred Singer, who took tobacco money for years to deny smoking kills, and now takes fossil fuel money to deny the risks of AGW.
Who needs peer reviewed science when you have a paper trail like that? http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
The UN believes "the spread of infectious diseases such as malaria and dengue fever" comes from man made CO2 emissions and I blame bans on the use of DDT against mosquitoes; this is where we differ. Instead of wasting money on climate change mitigation, we need mosquito nets, better public sanitation and mosquito eradication to stop malaria.

"the green troll"

#40789 Oct 24, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The UN believes "the spread of infectious diseases such as malaria and dengue fever" comes from man made CO2 emissions and I blame bans on the use of DDT against mosquitoes;
Clueless on AGW science.

Clueless on pesticide science.
In September 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared its support for the indoor use of DDT in African countries where malaria remains a major health problem, citing that benefits of the pesticide outweigh the health and environmental risks. This is consistent with the Stockholm Convention on POPs, which bans DDT for all uses except for malaria control.

DDT is one of 12 pesticides recommended by the WHO for indoor residual spray programs. It is up to countries to decide whether or not to use DDT. EPA works with other agencies and countries to advise them on how DDT programs are developed and monitored, with the goal that DDT be used only within the context of Integrated Vector Management programs, and that it be kept out of agricultural sectors.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chem...
Chicken Little

Los Angeles, CA

#40791 Oct 24, 2013
Global warming will destroy our world!

Global warming is causing weather extremes!

Ocean waters are rising!

Obamacare website doesn't work properly!

Location hidden

#40794 Oct 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You're babbling with specious arguments and innuendo.
Nothing of the sort, you imply a reason for one natural event as man being the cause but have a complete opposite view if man is implicated in any way with climate change.

The logic of that reasoning indicates that you must be a paid up member of the Rush Limbaugh fan club.

Who makes such intellectual gems like this: "if you believe in God, then intellectually you cannot believe in manmade global warming"

Who conveniently forgets that man made the atom bomb and a million other things that God did not bless us with. Using the same elements that exist in nature, but in no way can man ever have the ability to use those same elements to influence weather, that can only come from God's hand. I think that sums up your so called science!

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#40795 Oct 24, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
lmao!!!
I live rent free in all your heads!
I only post under rdtm. I never post as an unregistered guest!!!
I swear to God!! In your case that would be Fat Al, right?!

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#40796 Oct 24, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Really? I thought "kal."
all I know is that fair game is wrong. I can't say if you're actually right for once.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#40797 Oct 24, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing of the sort, you imply a reason for one natural event as man being the cause but have a complete opposite view if man is implicated in any way with climate change.
The logic of that reasoning indicates that you must be a paid up member of the Rush Limbaugh fan club.
Who makes such intellectual gems like this: "if you believe in God, then intellectually you cannot believe in manmade global warming"
Who conveniently forgets that man made the atom bomb and a million other things that God did not bless us with. Using the same elements that exist in nature, but in no way can man ever have the ability to use those same elements to influence weather, that can only come from God's hand. I think that sums up your so called science!
If it's ghetto, illiterate, and loser... It's Greg Bourke, bent over by Limbaugh and Beck, and punked by Fox News..

zIt's the culture...
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40799 Oct 24, 2013
motheaten wrote:
........ innuendo.
/////////
litesong wrote:
Like "me me me getting mine in the 69 position", "motheaten" is obsessed by "in your endo".
//////////
motheaten muffed:
loon
/////////
litesong wrote:
Thanks for reminding me to sign my posts to motheaten,

the pure, true tones of the Loon......
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40800 Oct 24, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>all I know is that fair game is wrong. I can't say if you're actually right for once.
You would not recognize right ever even if it bit your hand.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Location hidden

#40801 Oct 24, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's ghetto, illiterate, and loser... It's Greg Bourke, bent over by Limbaugh and Beck, and punked by Fox News..
zIt's the culture...
Taking a break from DOS attacks on Obama's health care site I see!
Like health care, the warming message hasn't changed either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 min author author 98,673
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Realtime 1,141,114
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min scirocco 180,566
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 35 min RACE 7,851
amy 11-21 55 min Stina2 5
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 58 min Eric 70,570
calling all artists, designers and those with a... 1 hr youknowme203 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:50 pm PST

NBC Sports 7:50PM
Week 12 skill-position injury report — Thursday
Bleacher Report10:19 PM
What Are Experts Saying About Indianapolis?
NBC Sports 1:18 AM
Colts desperate to crank up rushing game - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Predictions for Bears' Week 12 Matchup
NBC Sports 7:46 AM
Jay Cutler wants to keep on rolling (out)