Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,501
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
No Warming

Waverly, OH

#40690 Oct 18, 2013
Need some banjo music fellars ...

Since: Mar 13

Royse City, TX

#40691 Oct 18, 2013
Global warming is a scam created to dupe scientifically illiterate politicians out of millions in grant money. The planet goes through warming and cooling cycles. Michael Mann's hockey stick chart has been disproven and his methodology is nothing less than fraud. If you are so worried about how hot the planet will be in 100 years, feel free to research the "Little Climatic Optimum" which is also called "The Medieval Warming Period" and which the emails leaked from the East Anglia University Climate Research Unit show Mann and his co-conspirators were deliberately understating or withholding from their calculations because it shows that the temperatures were warmer 1000 years ago than they are now. In fact, if Michael Mann is right (and his projections have proven to have been wrong for the last 15 years) the planet will only reach the temperature that it was in 1100 in a hundred years or so.
Jennifer

Fullerton, CA

#40692 Oct 18, 2013
BrianTin Paris wrote:
Global warming is a scam created to dupe scientifically illiterate politicians out of millions in grant money. The planet goes through warming and cooling cycles. Michael Mann's hockey stick chart has been disproven and his methodology is nothing less than fraud. If you are so worried about how hot the planet will be in 100 years, feel free to research the "Little Climatic Optimum" which is also called "The Medieval Warming Period" and which the emails leaked from the East Anglia University Climate Research Unit show Mann and his co-conspirators were deliberately understating or withholding from their calculations because it shows that the temperatures were warmer 1000 years ago than they are now. In fact, if Michael Mann is right (and his projections have proven to have been wrong for the last 15 years) the planet will only reach the temperature that it was in 1100 in a hundred years or so.
So true. So true. It just makes me feel inferior to now know the truth. I was really invested in all of the hype. I can't believe I was so dumb. I even gave money to some charity that was supposed to slow down the warming. Now I kinda need money and I have to ask my elderly mom for a loan (I'll never pay it back, to be honest). She's loaned me money before.
Jennifer

Fullerton, CA

#40693 Oct 18, 2013
James wrote:
There is no global warming. My grandpa used to keep those temperature records. He said him and his co-workers would just make numbers up. Said it was "close enough for government work".
He said the thermometers didn't work very well and were sometimes in the shade as trees and bushes grew. The shaded thermometers were wrong so they just picked a number that sounded good.
That really makes sense. Everyone knows that thermometers in the olden days were not accurate. I've often heard the phrase "close enough for government work". Lots of government data collectors did the same thing.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40694 Oct 19, 2013
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
So true. So true. It just makes me feel inferior to now know the truth. I was really invested in all of the hype. I can't believe I was so dumb. I even gave money to some charity that was supposed to slow down the warming. Now I kinda need money and I have to ask my elderly mom for a loan (I'll never pay it back, to be honest). She's loaned me money before.
What a moronic post, the Tea party Talibans would accept you with open arms. They need all the ignorant recruits they can find!
The only money you invested in slowing down the warming was an icepack from Walmart.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40695 Oct 19, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that's true, but take another look at the time line and frequency. If you mapped that against warming graph the trend would almost match and probably for the USA as well.
New Study:’2013 ranks as one of the least extreme U.S. weather years ever’– Many bad weather events at ‘historically low levels’

'Whether you’re talking about tornadoes, wildfires, extreme heat or hurricanes, the good news is that weather-related disasters in the US are all way down this year compared to recent years and, in some cases, down to historically low levels.'

Tornadoes:'lowest total in several decades'

Number of wildfires:'On pace to be the lowest it has been in the past ten years'

Extreme Heat: The number of 100 degree days may 'turn out to be the lowest in about 100 years of records'

Hurricanes:'We are currently in the longest period (8 years) since the Civil War Era without a major hurricane strike in the US (i.e., category 3, 4 or 5)'( last major hurricane to strike the US was Hurricane Wilma in 2005)

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/10/18/new-st...

d'Oh!
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40696 Oct 19, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Tea party Talibans
Loon.

Since: Jul 13

Europe

#40697 Oct 19, 2013
Wow!!! You have to open oooo....
http://bit.ly/169cg1X

Location hidden

#40698 Oct 19, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
New Study:’2013 ranks as one of the least extreme U.S. weather years ever’– Many bad weather events at ‘historically low levels’
'Whether you’re talking about tornadoes, wildfires, extreme heat or hurricanes, the good news is that weather-related disasters in the US are all way down this year compared to recent years and, in some cases, down to historically low levels.'
Number of wildfires:'On pace to be the lowest it has been in the past ten years'
Extreme Heat: The number of 100 degree days may 'turn out to be the lowest in about 100 years of records'
Hurricanes:'We are currently in the longest period (8 years) since the Civil War Era without a major hurricane strike in the US (i.e., category 3, 4 or 5)'( last major hurricane to strike the US was Hurricane Wilma in 2005)
d'Oh!
Oh so we cherry pick again one year to dismiss a 150 year trend.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/07/03/s...

Look at the graph on wildfires in the US since the 80's and the amount of areas burnt keeps increasing. Don't even think about Australia as it will show an even more dramatic trend same as Canada. But again, find a cold year amongst a bunch of disasters and that is always your benchmark.

Also Check NASA's global trend

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/fie...

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/07/03/s...
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#40700 Oct 19, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
d'Oh!
Further proof of ACDDCGCD. The IPCC reports that there has been a 15 year hiatus in warming and at the same time extreme weather events are at record lows. Come on people, it is obvious... After all, this isn't rocket science.

Location hidden

#40702 Oct 19, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
From your NASA link:
"NASA researchers Olga Pechony and Drew Shindell believe they have finally started to provide solid answers with the help of a new wildfire model that has produced the first long-term history of global burning. Their new wildfire model -- which captures past trends well and offers predictions about futures trends -- models global wildfires more accurately than previous models."
OMG!
Another model of future doom.
Take a look... hmm... looks like a bumpy hockey stick.
Well as the evidence keeps mounting that leaves a lot more to ignore from the denier crowd. 1000's upon 1000's of data sets and reports yet the best you keep coming up with is the bump in the hockey stick graph as reason to deny everything else.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40703 Oct 19, 2013
James jested:
There is no global warming. My grandpa used to keep those temperature records.
//////////
Joe jeered:
My great grandfather used to record temps......often made up temps for the log book.
/////////
Fair Game wrote:
I smell a rat.
////////
litesong wrote:
Your sense of smell is keen...... especially across the 72 miles between Joe's Chatsworth & James' Irvine. Cosiness works in horseshoes...... & thick lies.
Old Fisherman

La Fayette, KY

#40704 Oct 19, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well as the evidence keeps mounting that leaves a lot more to ignore from the denier crowd. 1000's upon 1000's of data sets and reports yet the best you keep coming up with is the bump in the hockey stick graph as reason to deny everything else.
You just as well give it up. Between the outright deniers, the billionaires who are making too much money from the current energy sources, and the religious nuts who think they're all going to be yanked up into the clouds, it is hopeless. Our children and grand children are going to live in a devastated world like the one portrayed in Soylent Green. Oceans dead. Animals extinct. People living and starving in poverty. And the rich dudes still raking the money in.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#40705 Oct 19, 2013
Old Fisherman wrote:
<quoted text>
You just as well give it up. Between the outright deniers, the billionaires who are making too much money from the current energy sources, and the religious nuts who think they're all going to be yanked up into the clouds, it is hopeless. Our children and grand children are going to live in a devastated world like the one portrayed in Soylent Green. Oceans dead. Animals extinct. People living and starving in poverty. And the rich dudes still raking the money in.
I like to call it: Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption. It appears less emotional and more scientific than "World" Devastation.

Death by ACDDCGCD to the deniers!

Have a nice day,
BS
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40708 Oct 19, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Again and again, climate models have been shown wrong, and the best you can do is offer another one?
Yes, until you cave in..
Funny

Beckley, WV

#40710 Oct 19, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, until you cave in..
Is that what warmist do, just cave in to beliefs?
Susan

Fullerton, CA

#40711 Oct 19, 2013
James wrote:
There is no global warming. My grandpa used to keep those temperature records. He said him and his co-workers would just make numbers up. Said it was "close enough for government work".
He said the thermometers didn't work very well and were sometimes in the shade as trees and bushes grew. The shaded thermometers were wrong so they just picked a number that sounded good.
The dad always talked about " too close for gov't work". That's federal employees! At least maybe the ones who work alone.

Location hidden

#40712 Oct 20, 2013
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) says global warming poses "a far more serious problem than al Qaeda" and accuses energy companies of being willing to "destroy the planet" for profits.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/3292...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40713 Oct 20, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that what warmist do, just cave in to beliefs?
LOL. Are you asking me a funny question?

Further thinking..

Dr Bostrom says there is a real gap between the speed of technological advance and our understanding of its implications.

"We're at the level of infants in moral responsibility, but with the technological capability of adults," he says.

As such, the significance of existential risk is "not on people's radars".

But he argues that change is coming whether or not we're ready for it.

"There is a bottleneck in human history. The human condition is going to change. It could be that we end in a catastrophe or that we are transformed by taking much greater control over our biology.

"It's not science fiction, religious doctrine or a late-night conversation in the pub.

"There is no plausible moral case not to take it seriously."

HUH?
Nancy Polockski

San Francisco, CA

#40714 Oct 20, 2013
Stop Earth warming, Impeach Obama Boo Boo!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy 10-24 6 min RACE 16
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 min _Zoey_ 4,800
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min John Galt 1,127,268
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min WelbyMD 179,478
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 54 min well 50,657
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Wolverine33 654
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Ratloder 68,672
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]