Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,501
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40496 Oct 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently then, you have no science background. Leave it up to the grownups then. Fox and friends are not science.
Hmmm... SpaceBlues likes to copy-cat my posts too.

Goodness! You're devolving!

LOL
Yocal Pillbilly

Beckley, WV

#40497 Oct 8, 2013
Al Gore says to invest in the global warming scam, it has made him rich, it can enrich you to.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40498 Oct 8, 2013
Yocal Pillbilly wrote:
Al Gore says to invest in the global warming scam, it has made him rich, it can enrich you to.
Correct, we want Big Al to be the Richest Green man on the planet. Just like those oil barons, who have sucked the lifeblood from the earth and upset the balance of nature. Big Al is here to fix it all, just keep buying anything he is selling the same way you made the oil barons rich.
Yocal Pillbilly

Beckley, WV

#40499 Oct 9, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, we want Big Al to be the Richest Green man on the planet. Just like those oil barons, who have sucked the lifeblood from the earth and upset the balance of nature. Big Al is here to fix it all, just keep buying anything he is selling the same way you made the oil barons rich.
You mean the oil that makes your life easier each and every day? Hard to give up, huh?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40500 Oct 9, 2013
Yocal Pillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the oil that makes your life easier each and every day? Hard to give up, huh?
Of course it's hard to give up, I like my fast cars as much as the next guy but what has got to be done has to be done. Just make it more expensive for me to use that car and I will look for alternatives or drive it less n less, that's how the market works. Not just deny there is no problem at all, it doesn't make it go away.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40501 Oct 9, 2013
Jimenez Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandpa did the same job back then. He was a drinker. He told me they just made up many of the numbers when they drank a bit too much.
In modern meteorological stations, the thermometers are housed in a shelter (i.e., in the shade) to keep them from receiving direct sunlight, which would lead to higher readings. I would think that even the earlier designs (1920's-30's) would have taken that into consideration.

If the thermometers were in the shade "most" or "one-half" of the day, then the readings from the time they were in the sun would have been higher. That would give the false impression that their locations have cooled since 70-8- years ago.

Are you saying that all meteorologists are lying drunks? If so, I'll be needing some proof for that claim.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40502 Oct 9, 2013
"That's interesting. I wondered who did those measurements and how they went about it. Was it done at the same time every day? Where the thermometers ever moved? Were logs kept of all those measurements?.. stuff like that."

Stuff like any idiot knows that not taking measurements at the same time every day would distort the record. Stuff like "No, the thermometers weren't moved; why would they be? Unless the whole site was moved. Stuff like "logs" are the whole purpose and result of stuff like that.

And perhaps most important to some here... was your grandfather a climate scientist?

The title you're looking for is meteorologist. That's what a person that does stuff like that is usually called.

The stupidity burns!
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#40503 Oct 9, 2013
Government shutdown causes National Science Foundation to cancel this fiscal year's research in Antarctica. Because USA operates the airfield there, other countries may have to cancel as well.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/shutdown-canc...
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40504 Oct 9, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Government shutdown causes National Science Foundation to cancel this fiscal year's research in Antarctica. Because USA operates the airfield there, other countries may have to cancel as well.
http://news.discovery.com/earth/shutdown-canc...
Ah....... just what tea party & re-pubic-lick-un crooked politician toxic AGW deniers want. tea party & re-pubic-lick-un crooked politicians want smaller gov't. A shut down gov't makes for a smaller gov't......
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40505 Oct 9, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
I like my fast cars as much as the next guy......
As the next guy, I say, "I love high mpg cars, BETTER than the next guy".
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40506 Oct 9, 2013
motheaten wrote:
SpaceBlues likes to copy-cat my posts......
"motheaten" does NOT like to copy-cat the education levels of topix AGW advocates.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#40507 Oct 9, 2013
Yocal Pillbilly wrote:
You mean the oil that makes your life easier.......
That's why most people waste so much of it.......
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40508 Oct 9, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
Government shutdown causes National Science Foundation to cancel this fiscal year's research in Antarctica. Because USA operates the airfield there, other countries may have to cancel as well.
http://news.discovery.com/earth/shutdown-canc...
It's like a bonus for the Stupid Party!

Not only do they damage the US economy so they can blame that on Obama in the future, and pointlessly fight a law that is in effect and has been found to be Constitutional, but they get to disrupt climate research and cause the loss of a year's worth of data.

They must be proud!
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40509 Oct 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
"That's interesting. I wondered who did those measurements and how they went about it. Was it done at the same time every day? Where the thermometers ever moved? Were logs kept of all those measurements?.. stuff like that."
Stuff like any idiot knows that not taking measurements at the same time every day would distort the record. Stuff like "No, the thermometers weren't moved; why would they be? Unless the whole site was moved. Stuff like "logs" are the whole purpose and result of stuff like that.
And perhaps most important to some here... was your grandfather a climate scientist?
The title you're looking for is meteorologist. That's what a person that does stuff like that is usually called.
The stupidity burns!
Aww gee... the devoted warmist is getting all pissy.

But if you can, answer the questions I asked of Jimenez Garcia's grandfather's recollections.

You can't.

Do run along... SpaceBlues' prattle is infecting you all.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#40510 Oct 9, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm... SpaceBlues likes to copy-cat my posts too.
Goodness! You're devolving!
LOL
What is your science background?
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#40511 Oct 9, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah....... just what tea party & re-pubic-lick-un crooked politician toxic AGW deniers want. tea party & re-pubic-lick-un crooked politicians want smaller gov't. A shut down gov't makes for a smaller gov't......
For your information: I was a Republican for almost all my life, until 2007 in fact. One side of my family were Southern unionist Republicans from the Civil War on. The other side were registered Democrats who were really pretty much Independents but registered Democrat so that they could have a vote in local elections (until quite recently the winner of the Democratic primary in the South was the winner in the local election, since the Republicans were too few to even run a candidate in the general election). They voted for Eisenhower, Nixon, and Ford. The leaders and ideals that my parents and grandparents held up to me were Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, and Dwight D. Eisenhower. Today's so-called Republicans, the Tea Party and the new brand of "conservatives" who are really a queer hybrid of economic libertarians / Christian Reconstructionists, are in no way inheritors of that political tradition. They hijacked the Grand Old Party, and it looks like a suicide hijacking.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40512 Oct 9, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your science background?
If you've got 'science' put it out there.

If not, don't.

I'm not playing your 'appeal to authority fallacy' game.
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#40513 Oct 9, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like a bonus for the Stupid Party!
Not only do they damage the US economy so they can blame that on Obama in the future, and pointlessly fight a law that is in effect and has been found to be Constitutional, but they get to disrupt climate research and cause the loss of a year's worth of data.
They must be proud!
Yep. They're getting just what they want.

Here's some more news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/science/ear...
Retired Farmer

Marion, KY

#40514 Oct 9, 2013
Something to think about:

Archaeologists and geologists have identified four "megadroughts" on the Great Plains, that is to say prolonged multi-decadal droughts that turned the Plains into a virtual desert. Those megadroughts were:

AD 1021-1051
AD 1130-1170
AD 1240-1265
AD 1360-1382
AD 1434-1481

The last one is associated with collapse of the Anasazi Indian culture in the Southwest. It is also thought to have contributed to the collapse of the Mississippians (the last "Mound Builders")in the Mississippi/Ohio/Missouri River basin. The drought was so severe that it forced the buffalo herds off the Plains and eastward across the Mississippi River (there is no evidence of buffalo east of the Mississippi until the 1400s).

Now, we are overdue for another of those cyclical megadroughts. What will happen to America's (and the world's) food producing capacity if Global Warming supercharges it?
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

#40515 Oct 9, 2013
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
The hottest year on record was 1934*
* in the lower 48 states of the continental U.S.
"Globally, 1934 is not the hottest year on record, not even close. Not even close; the ten hottest years on record have all occured since 1990. And #1 is still 2005 (according to GISS) or 1998 (according to HadCRU; it’s really a “statistical tie”)."
http://tamino.wordpress.com/2007/08/12/before...
Now the experts say that is NOT correct:

"Current Issue > vol. 108 no. 29 > Robert K. Kaufmann, 11790–11793
Reconciling anthropogenic climate change with observed temperature 1998–2008
Robert K. Kaufmanna,1, Heikki Kauppib, Michael L. Mann, and James H. Stockc
Author Affiliations

Edited by Robert E. Dickinson, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, and approved June 2, 2011 (received for review February 16, 2011)

Abstract
Given the widely noted increase in the warming effects of rising greenhouse gas concentrations, it has been unclear why global surface temperatures did not rise between 1998 and 2008."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Emeem 1,127,287
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 1 hr Lioncub 103
Charles Barkley said it! 2 hr CHUCK B 1
Dr 0782857120 abortion clinic in lebowakgomo 2 hr Dr john 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Mandela 68,673
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Hey U 50,660
Amy 10-24 6 hr RACE 16
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr WelbyMD 179,478
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]