Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 58844 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40439 Oct 7, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>The evidence is you don't know grammar.
Or science! Or mathematics!
Percentages ARE numbers.

I guess he just didn't realize that.
Mothra

United States

#40440 Oct 7, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Percentages ARE numbers.
A percentage is a ratios of numbers expressed as a fraction of 100.

You do have the numbers, don't you?
Breaking

Corona Del Mar, CA

#40441 Oct 7, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What's your point? Did you read my post before it?
You could possibly learn something from it.. like you are clueless.
The scientists didn't take into account differences in the shaded thermometers vs those not in the shade. I don't know why they didn't, but they didn't.

The data are useless.
SpaceBlues

United States

#40442 Oct 7, 2013
Breaking wrote:
<quoted text>
The scientists didn't take into account differences in the shaded thermometers vs those not in the shade. I don't know why they didn't, but they didn't.
The data are useless.
Where's your evidence?

Still .. what's your point other than you are a clueless denier?

Read my post again for comprehension. Aww you know no science or mathematics, true?
SpaceBlues

United States

#40443 Oct 7, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
No. A typical denier is not set for farming or any other kind of adaptive change. He/she does not think that adaptation and or change is needed. Their thinking is "No problem; no need to change or prepare for the consequences; since there is no problem to begin with."
Their thinking is sort of like that of the White Star Line managers who decided that the Titanic didn't need as many life boats as the naval engineer who designed the ship said she needed and so reduced the number by two-thirds. I can almost hear what someone said in the board meeting when that decision was made, "Lifeboats! Why go to all that expense. The Titanic's not going to sink!"
The religious people who think that Global Warming is real, and that it is a necessary agent of the Famine during the Tribulations aren't interested in preparing either. They expect the so-called "Rapture" (which is a complete fraud and heresy cooked up by a succession of crackpot preachers starting with one named Darby in the 1820s) and won't be on earth to face the consequences.
Realists are the ones who anticipate disasters, try to head them off, and prepare just in case.
Agreed.

Thanks for the explanation.
SpaceBlues

United States

#40444 Oct 7, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Percentages ARE numbers.
Agreed.

Just a confused troll, LOL.
Retired Farmer

Paducah, KY

#40445 Oct 7, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed.
Thanks for the explanation.
Thanks.

If we are to have any hope of averting a Global Warming / Human induced climate change catastrophe, we have to cut the ideological and theological ground out from under the deniers and the "global warming is good" and "it's God's will" crowd. That will strip them of their political base. You'll never do it by arguing science with them. To the hard core deniers, any science that disagrees with their ideology is automatically invalid. To the religious crowd who deny human induced climate change on religious grounds, science is the work of the Devil. The religious End Timers who think it is part of the Tribulation will be the hardest to defeat - and indeed they may never be convinced.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#40446 Oct 7, 2013
"some" thermometers were shaded.

So that negates all other research on global warming?

I don't think so, Tim.

Logic and critical thinking definitely short in this one....
Breaking

Corona Del Mar, CA

#40447 Oct 7, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Where's your evidence?
Still .. what's your point other than you are a clueless denier?
Read my post again for comprehension. Aww you know no science or mathematics, true?
My grandfather and his brother used to accumulate that data in the 1920's and 1930's. He said over the course of 10 years trees would grow and the thermometers that used to be in the shade for most of the day were now in the shade 1/2 of the day. He said nobody cared about that back then. They said the figures were "close enough".
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40448 Oct 7, 2013
Breaking wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandfather and his brother used to accumulate that data in the 1920's and 1930's. He said over the course of 10 years trees would grow and the thermometers that used to be in the shade for most of the day were now in the shade 1/2 of the day. He said nobody cared about that back then. They said the figures were "close enough".
Dear Breaking,

Name names.. details...

But still understand my post and tell your family you still love them.. because they did right when they read in the shade, not kidding you.

Sincerely,
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40449 Oct 7, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
If we are to have any hope of averting a Global Warming / Human induced climate change catastrophe, we have to cut the ideological and theological ground out from under the deniers and the "global warming is good" and "it's God's will" crowd. That will strip them of their political base. You'll never do it by arguing science with them. To the hard core deniers, any science that disagrees with their ideology is automatically invalid. To the religious crowd who deny human induced climate change on religious grounds, science is the work of the Devil. The religious End Timers who think it is part of the Tribulation will be the hardest to defeat - and indeed they may never be convinced.
np.

You might enjoy this from Loise Leakey:

To put the history of life on planet earth into a time perspective, imagine unrolling a toilet roll down a hillside. If there are 400 sheets of tissue paper in the roll, then the very first life in the oceans is seen at sheet 240. The age of the dinosaurs begins at sheet 19. Dinosaurs in their many forms and great diversity are around for 14 and a half sheets. Dinosaurs are extinct by the end of the Cretaceous, 5 squares from the end, making way for the mammals. Our story and place on the timeline as upright walking apes begins only in the last half of the very last sheet. The human story as Homo sapiens, is represented by less than 2 millimeters of this, some 200,000 years.

Our own individual lifetimes cannot be depicted on this final sheet of the toilet roll as it would be too thin a line, yet we have been witness to more change to the planet, to the diversity of life, global climate and natural habitats in this same time period. We are undoubtedly the cause of the sixth mass extinction event that the planet has seen in its history.

The last 50 years has shown an enormous increase in human population, but also extraordinary leaps in technological innovation. The question that needs to be asked is if we can rise to the opportunity, to use our technology to better understand our impact, to stem the tide of extinction on land and in the oceans, to preserve what we have left, and to discover and understand more about our past. What the fossil record does do is to force us to contemplate our place on the planet. We are but one species of several hominids that inhabited planet earth and like our distant cousins who went extinct fairly recently, our time on planet earth is also finite. It won't take much to tip the balance against us.
reality check

Yonkers, NY

#40450 Oct 7, 2013
We are just coming out of the coldest period on earth in the last 550,000,000 years.

So what's a little warming?
Retired Farmer

Paducah, KY

#40451 Oct 7, 2013
reality check wrote:
We are just coming out of the coldest period on earth in the last 550,000,000 years.
So what's it to us if the Great Plains, America's breadbasket, turns into the Great American Desert?
SpaceBlues

United States

#40452 Oct 7, 2013
reality check wrote:
Is it our problem that you won't learn the facts and yet speak your ignorance to the world?

What do you guess is happening to the daily man-made heat-trapping greenhouse gas emissions and what are they doing to the planet?
Jimenez Garcia

Fullerton, CA

#40453 Oct 7, 2013
Breaking wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandpa did the same job back then. He was a drinker. He told me they just made up many of the numbers when they drank a bit too much.
SpaceBlues

United States

#40454 Oct 7, 2013
Jimenez Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandpa did the same job back then. He was a drinker. He told me they just made up many of the numbers when they drank a bit too much.
And you belive a drunk?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#40455 Oct 7, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's it to us if the Great Plains, America's breadbasket, turns into the Great American Desert?
These people won't be convinced until they go down to the local supermarket and find no fresh product there. Unfortunately by then it's too late!
sick 2

Beckley, WV

#40458 Oct 7, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>np.
You might enjoy this from Loise Leakey:
To put the history of life on planet earth into a time perspective, imagine unrolling a toilet roll down a hillside. If there are 400 sheets of tissue paper in the roll, then the very first life in the oceans is seen at sheet 240. The age of the dinosaurs begins at sheet 19. Dinosaurs in their many forms and great diversity are around for 14 and a half sheets. Dinosaurs are extinct by the end of the Cretaceous, 5 squares from the end, making way for the mammals. Our story and place on the timeline as upright walking apes begins only in the last half of the very last sheet. The human story as Homo sapiens, is represented by less than 2 millimeters of this, some 200,000 years.
Our own individual lifetimes cannot be depicted on this final sheet of the toilet roll as it would be too thin a line, yet we have been witness to more change to the planet, to the diversity of life, global climate and natural habitats in this same time period. We are undoubtedly the cause of the sixth mass extinction event that the planet has seen in its history.
The last 50 years has shown an enormous increase in human population, but also extraordinary leaps in technological innovation. The question that needs to be asked is if we can rise to the opportunity, to use our technology to better understand our impact, to stem the tide of extinction on land and in the oceans, to preserve what we have left, and to discover and understand more about our past. What the fossil record does do is to force us to contemplate our place on the planet. We are but one species of several hominids that inhabited planet earth and like our distant cousins who went extinct fairly recently, our time on planet earth is also finite. It won't take much to tip the balance against us.
Ah, woman whose grandpa make a skull out of plaster and claimed it was our ancestors.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#40460 Oct 8, 2013
Breaking wrote:
Turns out some of the thermometers were in the shade (tree growth) back in the early 1900's. All the data has been deemed tainted.
But if the data were corrected for that, Anthony Watts would say......
Mothra

United States

#40461 Oct 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
But if the data were corrected for that, Anthony Watts would say......
>>The majority of Northern Hemisphere warming over the last century is man made, and due to data tampering by government scientists.

In 1975, the National Academy of Sciences published the graph below, showing a dramatic cooling in the Northern Hemisphere from the 1930s until 1970, with the 1970 temperature about the same as 1910.

[see link for graphs]

NASA has since erased most of that post-1930s cooling, and made 1910 much cooler than 1970.

[see link for graphs]

data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/ZonAn...

The next graph overlays the current GISS graph (green) on the 1975 National Academy of Sciences graph. You can see how they massively cooled the period from 1890 to 1970, with the most dramatic data tampering being during the hot years of the 1920s and 1930s.

[see link for graphs]

http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2013/09/26...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min DBWriter 1,374,710
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min JRB 213,149
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 min RACE 8,098
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 min Ize Found 70,469
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Red_Forman 930
abbu5-3-16 1 hr PEllen 2
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr Red_Forman 1,973
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages