Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,898)

Showing posts 37,941 - 37,960 of42,964
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
So what!, When Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney & co decided a war with Iraq would be a good idea did any of his to level administration kids end up there ? I don't think so. Even the British Royals have sent their kids into any conflicts they have been involved in. Yet Cheney & co made huge profits off the backs of American lives lost in Iraq for no good reason. That's hypocrisy at its worst.
The concept of making money out of green is NO different than making money out of oil. Yet your lot can't handle that, get over it. All Al is doing is using the same system to drive his cause EXACTLY the same way that fossil money uses the system to drive their cause.
Al Gore is not making his money off capitalism. He is making it off government mandates. Al Gore invested in the Chicago Climate Exchange, set up to ride the wave of government mandated cap and trade. Cap and trade failed and the Chicago Climate Exchange then folded as there was no market for the exchange under a voluntary basis. NOBODY wanted it. In a free market, a product is sold to a willing consumer. If there is not enough interest in a product, the company goes bankrupt or closes down. There is no market for the green industry, as it is high cost to the consumer and very few want the product. The only way to get people to want the product is to mandate it through the government or subsidize it, which is why Gore continues to push for government intervention.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"But if Mr. Gore plows that $70 million back into climate change education and action, that would probably remove any residual hypocrisy."
That, my friend, is a rationalization: like arguing Hamas educates kids while training suicide bombers.(This is only a comparison of absurdity of your argument. Don't try to make a connection that isn't there.)
You haven't been paying attention, have you?
The discussion of Al Gore of late was only to demonstrate his hypocrisy on global warming. There are many other examples.
The point being that if the proponents of the 'crisis' don't act as if it is a 'crisis' why should Joe Sixpack? You say it's the 'science'... so do the spokesmen.
But they are hypocrites on the subject. Does that not affect
Joe Sixpack's opinion on the 'science'?
B-b-but.... you say again... it's the science.
Circular arguments answer nothing.
He only put 70 million back in climate change to be sure he keeps scaring people so that the government keeps up the mandates and subsidies. Without those, he won't be able to pay for the upkeep of his 4 homes and private jets and limos.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... quoting a global warming hypocrite.
How quaint.
Fox is better? http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/fox-news...

Fair and balanced? Better look into your denier sources. They have little creditability. Al May be a hypocrite, or not, but at least he quotes reliable sources. Not the factless denier mantra. Face the truth.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Al Gore is not making his money off capitalism. He is making it off government mandates. Al Gore invested in the Chicago Climate Exchange, set up to ride the wave of government mandated cap and trade. Cap and trade failed and the Chicago Climate Exchange then folded as there was no market for the exchange under a voluntary basis. NOBODY wanted it. In a free market, a product is sold to a willing consumer. If there is not enough interest in a product, the company goes bankrupt or closes down. There is no market for the green industry, as it is high cost to the consumer and very few want the product. The only way to get people to want the product is to mandate it through the government or subsidize it, which is why Gore continues to push for government intervention.
Is that a fact? Why does the government subsidize the fossil fuel industry?
Hey Scooter

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it subsidize the so-called green industry?
Hey Scooter

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
Maybe Mr. Gore is a hypocrite.
But if Mr. Gore plows that $70 million back into climate change education and action, that would probably remove any residual hypocrisy.
Maybe that's what bothers denialists, other than that they have no other argument to make.
Maybe Al Gore is a bad, bad little boy, but that doesn't change the fact that the Earth is warming, we are causing it, and there are things we can do to stop it.
He "Plowed" 70 million in, but how much did he make? More than 250 million,Enough to live in houses that use more energy than many normal households use, and fly in a private jet and limos everywhere he goes.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Another whinnnner!
Why do you yammer about Al Gore? Is it because it is a rationalization for denying global warming? That is the middle school whining telling mom that everyone else is doing it, why can't I? Or the noo one else is doing it, why do I have to? Grow up. You are not responsible for Al Gore. Be responsible for your own self. Quit making excuses.
I say you need to quit whining about whining.

Al Gore is a global warming hypocrite... and you're fine with that.

'nuf said? Or will you be back with another whine about whining?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox is better?
[snip]
Quite whining about Fox News.

LOL
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he meant to say Gore is a 'crony-capitalist'...
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Another whinnnner!
Why do you yammer about Al Gore? Is it because it is a rationalization for denying global warming? That is the middle school whining telling mom that everyone else is doing it, why can't I? Or the noo one else is doing it, why do I have to? Grow up. You are not responsible for Al Gore. Be responsible for your own self. Quit making excuses.
Observations tell me that the AGW hypothesis does not live up to observations. Skyrocketing CO2, no warming in 15 years, Antarctic sea ice extent keeps growing, sea level rise not happening at alarming rates, no increase in "extreme" weather, climate sensitivity lower than thought, the uncertainties of how clouds, sun, PDO effect the temperatures, polar bear population increasing. So my rationalization stems from looking at the hypothesis versus the observations.

I believe everyone should have as many houses as they want, fly to wherever they want and whenever they want, get solar if they want, green their house if they want, use energy the way then want, ride in a limo if they want. I'm not the one telling everyone to downsize and travel less, so how is it that I'm the one whining? The one whining is Al Gore, telling everyone that unless the green movement takes over the political system, the whole of human civilization will be in ruins in 100 years. That's whining.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox is better? http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/fox-news...
Fair and balanced? Better look into your denier sources. They have little creditability. Al May be a hypocrite, or not, but at least he quotes reliable sources. Not the factless denier mantra. Face the truth.
So deflect to Fox News when you lose the argument.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does the government subsidize anything? I think we can all agree the government needs to stop this practice.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he meant to say Gore is a 'crony-capitalist'...
Crony capitalism is the reason our country is so screwed, not because of free market/capitalism. But OzRitz likes crony/government capitalism because OzRitz hearts China and they know how to get things done. Who cares about a little bit of corruption and greed?
Jimenez Garcia

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

The science is settled. It really is a baby in the womb.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Lots of money to be made wrote:
<quoted text>
From al gore.
LOL.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>no surprise that fat albert would cite the ipcc. they are both politically driven with little regard for actual scientific observations. in fact....no regard!
Don't forget they were honored together with a Nobel Peace Prize ..

This link should be a timely read for your global warming concerns:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/B...
Whatever

Fpo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Blah,blah, blah
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Whatever wrote:
Blah,blah, blah
is that all there is? Go back and do it again..

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does the government subsidize anything? I think we can all agree the government needs to stop this practice.
That is a TP fallacy.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
So deflect to Fox News when you lose the argument.
Noper, just sayin'. Science is much more reliable than whinning Fox platitudes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 37,941 - 37,960 of42,964
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

62 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Abby 4-18 1 min cheluzal 7
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min flack 1,033,464
Amy 4-18 2 min Mister Tonka 8
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 min RACE 96,080
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Jacques from Ottawa 167,509
Abby 4-17 7 min edogxxx 37
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min Registered Earth Angel 47,041
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]