Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
37,741 - 37,760 of 45,875 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
What process to address obamacare? Harry Reid tables most everything the house sends to the senate. Obamacare was passed and yet we have a president, by executive order, who picks and chooses what part of the law he wants enforced or not enforced. So the house goes through the proper channels to get the individual mandate delayed, but they are the ones who are holding the government "hostage." My questions is why does Harry Reid think it is ok for the president to delay his own law, but it is "hostage" taking when the republicans ask for the same delay for the individual? All Harry Reid and the democrats in the senate have to do is say ok to a delay on the individual mandate and the government would be up and running again. Why is the individual mandate delay a bad thing?
Just send a clean bill to the Senate. The Affordable Healthcare Bill is already in force. If they wish to deactivate it, let them do it upon its own merits. If deactivating the Healthcare Bill cannot stand on its own, perhaps they should move on.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If they send a clean bill, then perhaps the Senate can act upon it.
How silly.

I see you got your negotiation skills from Obama.

'Send me what I want, then we'll talk.'

Had Obamacare been a bipartisan bill it wouldn't get the opposition it is.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Just send a clean bill to the Senate. The Affordable Healthcare Bill is already in force. If they wish to deactivate it, let them do it upon its own merits. If deactivating the Healthcare Bill cannot stand on its own, perhaps they should move on.
What a silly argument. The Constitution puts the responsibility of revenue bills on the House.

Ever heard of checks and balances?

Had Obamacare been a bipartisan bill, it wouldn't get the opposition it does.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
How silly.
I see you got your negotiation skills from Obama.
'Send me what I want, then we'll talk.'
Had Obamacare been a bipartisan bill it wouldn't get the opposition it is.
Are you serious or what! It's those tea bag Republicans who are saying send me what i want, then we'll talk. After all this has been tested 2 times at the ballot box and once in the supreme court. That is what the law is, the fact that your lot can't accept it is too bad. Then screaming about the right to water it down so the scheme is totally useless is not acceptable either. If you think Obama will suffer at the ballot box because of this, then I hope your lot push it all the way. Then wait for the mid terms and see what happens.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious or what! It's those tea bag Republicans who are saying send me what i want, then we'll talk. After all this has been tested 2 times at the ballot box and once in the supreme court. That is what the law is, the fact that your lot can't accept it is too bad. Then screaming about the right to water it down so the scheme is totally useless is not acceptable either. If you think Obama will suffer at the ballot box because of this, then I hope your lot push it all the way. Then wait for the mid terms and see what happens.
You aren't serious at all. Laws can change... even those challenged in the Supreme Court.

All you're doing is reiterating a bunch of canned responses.

>>Democrats are affronted that Republicans have made ObamaCare a focus of this fall’s fiscal fights. They should get used to it.

Even if Democrats deflect efforts to defund or delay the law in coming weeks, the fight will go on. Republican opposition is for the long haul, and it should be.

Even as the exchanges for individuals to purchase insurance get up and running, Oba­ma­Care is still in play. It has a legitimacy problem. It had one before it passed, when it was kept afloat through gross special deals, and it has one still, when it is manifestly failing to live up to the president’s salesmanship on its behalf. There’s a reason that usually we don’t pass major social changes lacking popular support on party-line votes — it is a formula for conflict rather than consensus.

Having done the deed, Democrats now expect Republicans to salute smartly, accept “the law of the land” and suggest minor improvements that Democrats will, in their wisdom, decide whether or not to adopt.

In other words, they recommend the acquiescence of surrender.

If this were a consistent principle rather than opportunistic advice, Democrats would have been content to leave “don’t ask, don’t tell” in place and never would have agitated to repeal the Bush tax cuts, out of deference to duly constituted policy and law.

Nearly four years after ObamaCare passed, the coalition against it has expanded, not shrunk.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/30/the-obamacare-fi...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't serious at all. Laws can change... even those challenged in the Supreme Court.
Well even the most basic change to the gun laws like preventing mentally deranged from owning a gun couldn't get passed. So please don't try and lecture us on sound logic and outcomes.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Because of a lack of staffing or because they were deemed non-essential services, much of the statistical information kept by the federal government will remain dormant as long as the shut down continues, if it hasn’t disappeared entirely.

The U.S. Census Bureau and Data.gov – a centerpiece of President Barack Obama’s open government initiative – shuttered entirely early Tuesday morning, while other agencies, such as the FEC and the Bureau of Labor Statistics will not update their websites, cutting off a flow of critical economic and political information.

The temporary loss of data from these agencies could pose a problem for students, academics and think tanks, who rely government data for research.

“As we proceed into the future, we proceed into statistical darkness,” said James Hughes, dean of the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University.“I went to Census.gov and that’s down. That hurts … That’s definitely going to be a problem for students.”

The Bureau of Labor Statistics will not release monthly employment data during the course of the shutdown, muddying the waters for businesses and economists who make key decisions based on the ebbs and flows of the U.S. economy.

“There’s only a limited amount of private sector data out there you can get before you have to ask ‘what the heck is going on?” said Joel Naroff, Senior Advisor with Econsult Solutions, a Philadelphia-based economic consulting firm.“It’s tough enough when there are rational people running the government. When you have irrational people out there that like to throw monkey wrenches into things, it makes it more difficult.”

Hughes said missed economic reports could be particularly challenging for analyzing the state of the economy over time.

“There’s going to be holes in that data. That’s a problem,” he said.

The Federal Election Commission’s campaign finance filing system will remain open, at least temporarily, according to the agency’s website, but it will not be monitored. The FEC warned technological issues could later arise because of this, potentially delaying the release of campaign finance data for U.S. Senate hopefuls Cory Booker and Steve Lonegan ahead of the October 16 special election.

“The FEC has stated that ‘staff will shut down all Commission information systems, except that the Commission web site shall remain on, but static,’ wrote Tom Lee of government transparency group the Sunlight Foundation in a blog post on the subject.
“Since many people are obliged to file electronically, though, it's unclear if this means that new data will be completely unavailable.”

Additionally, processing of all requests for data and information through the Freedom of Information Act have been halted.

The National Weather Service remains largely operational, but even they have had to shift focus.

When asked to explain New Jersey’s stretch of nice weather, National Weather Service at Mount Holly’s Meteorologist-in-Charge Gary Szatkowski declined. Szatkowski said he can only speak to the media about operational forecasts and warnings during the shutdown.

“Our guidance has been to focus on the protection of life and property,” he said.“So I don’t think I can comment on benign weather events.”
[starledger]
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well even the most basic change to the gun laws like preventing mentally deranged from owning a gun couldn't get passed. So please don't try and lecture us on sound logic and outcomes.
As you cannot refute my argument with any substance, I win.

Thanks for playing.:)

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Because of a lack of staffing.....
The temporary loss of data from these agencies could pose a problem for students, academics and think tanks, who rely government data for research.
“As we proceed into the future, we proceed into statistical darkness,” said James Hughes

The Bureau of Labor Statistics will not release monthly employment data during the course of the shutdown, muddying the waters for businesses and economists who make key decisions based on the ebbs and flows of the U.S. economy.

Hughes said missed economic reports could be particularly challenging for analyzing the state of the economy over time.
your message was abbreviated in order to limit co2 emissions....and it wasn't all necessary. in fact, the entire post was a waste!

Students, academics, and THINK tanks need to start THINKING for themselves again! Pity the fool who is so reliant on government!!

The ADP numbers will still come out. Those of us who look for statistical information already know where to look. No need to rely on government data. Okay???

Analysis is for the Monday morning quarterbacks of the world. They couldn't see an economic trend (even with government stats) if it bit them on the nose.

BTW.....what was your point?? this is a 'climate change' forum? or.....are you just trying to show your government dependent colors, son? when you get into politics....you only diminish your credibility more. oh, wait, that's impossible!!! i've already proven you're a habitual liar!!

psssst...i bet you think Mann's Nobel Prize got lost in the data from the government shutdown. I bet you think global warming accelerated, too, because the federal government had to quit doing 'vital research'!! you're so pathetic.....and so transparent.

HaaHaa
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

OzRitz wrote:
It's those tea bag Republicans
re-pubic-lick-uns send out the tea baggers to see if re-pubic-lick-uns can get something by intimidation. Stuff re-pubic-lick-uns for being arrogant AND cowardly, by hiding behind the tea baggers.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>your message was abbreviated in order to limit co2 emissions....and it wasn't all necessary. in fact, the entire post was a waste!
BTW.....what was your point?? this is a 'climate change' forum? or.....are you just trying to show your government dependent colors, son? when you get into politics....you only diminish your credibility more. oh, wait, that's impossible!!! i've already proven you're a habitual liar!!
psssst...i bet you think Mann's Nobel Prize got lost in the data from the government shutdown. I bet you think global warming accelerated, too, because the federal government had to quit doing 'vital research'!! you're so pathetic.....and so transparent.
HaaHaa
So easy to disregard your posts.. Read the bottom of my post.. weather.. hahahahaha

Climate refers to the entire distribution of weather over a long period of time, liar.

[Your credibility was never born so you lose nothing when you whine and lie.]

However, now you learn about climate and weather in this reply. Just to help you deniers a little..
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

rustykrusty wrote:
The majority point of view on Obamacare was against it
Correction:

Should be, "The (re-pubic-lick-un) minority point of view on Obamacare was against it."

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>So easy to disregard your posts.. Read the bottom of my post.. weather.. hahahahaha
Climate refers to the entire distribution of weather over a long period of time, liar.
[Your credibility was never born so you lose nothing when you whine and lie.]
However, now you learn about climate and weather in this reply. Just to help you deniers a little..
funny when it snows you loons claim weather has nothing to do with climate. What does that statement have to do with climate change, dodo? NOTHING!!!
What a fruit loop you are, son !!!
Haahaa
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

(Reuters)- The world's oceans are under greater threat than previously believed from a "deadly trio" of global warming, declining oxygen levels and acidification, an international study said on Thursday.

The oceans have continued to warm, pushing many commercial fish stocks towards the poles and raising the risk of extinction for some marine species, despite a slower pace of temperature rises in the atmosphere this century, it said.

"Risks to the ocean and the ecosystems it supports have been significantly underestimated," according to the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO), a non-governmental group of leading scientists.

"The scale and rate of the present day carbon perturbation, and resulting ocean acidification, is unprecedented in Earth's known history," according to the report, made with the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

The oceans are warming because of heat from a build-up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Fertilizers and sewage that wash into the oceans can cause blooms of algae that reduce oxygen levels in the waters. And carbon dioxide in the air can form a weak acid when it reacts with sea water.

"The ‘deadly trio' of ... acidification, warming and deoxygenation is seriously affecting how productive and efficient the ocean is," the study said.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy, another talking point completely devoid of facts. Here are the facts:

Despite deep divisions that have kept Congress from passing new gun safety laws for almost two decades, there is one aspect of gun control on which many Democrats, Republicans and even the National Rifle Association agree: the need to give mental health providers better resources to treat dangerous people and prevent them from buying weapons.

In Florida, the Republican-controlled Legislature passed a law this year that extended gun bans to people determined to be a danger to themselves or others, and who voluntarily admit themselves to a mental health facility. Strikingly, the measure won the support of the N.R.A.

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader and a strong proponent of the failed Senate plan to expand the federal background check system, is resisting any move to advance the mental health provisions, fearing that it would be used as a fig leaf by those who oppose expanded checks while closing the door to weapons restrictions in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/us/politics...

So (my way or the highway) Harry Reid seems to be the problem in the senate, resisting the efforts of sound and logical bipartisan legislation. All or nothing for Harry Reid.

But again, don’t let the facts get in the way of your talking points.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>funny when it snows you loons claim weather has nothing to do with climate. What does that statement have to do with climate change, dodo? NOTHING!!!
What a fruit loop you are, son !!!
Haahaa
It is funny Spacey giving you a lecture on weather versus climate when just a few days ago, spacey was telling us that some hot WEATHER in Siberia was sign of AGW.

Spacey: Siberia is defrosting under the artificial CO2 malady while you whine and deny, unsunny.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
All you're doing is reiterating a bunch of canned responses.
>>Democrats are affronted that Republicans have made ObamaCare a focus of this fall’s fiscal fights. They should get used to it.
Even if Democrats deflect efforts to defund or delay the law in coming weeks, the fight will go on. Republican opposition is for the long haul, and it should be.
Even as the exchanges for individuals to purchase insurance get up and running, Oba­ma­Care is still in play. It has a legitimacy problem. It had one before it passed, when it was kept afloat through gross special deals, and it has one still, when it is manifestly failing to live up to the president’s salesmanship on its behalf. There’s a reason that usually we don’t pass major social changes lacking popular support on party-line votes — it is a formula for conflict rather than consensus.
Having done the deed, Democrats now expect Republicans to salute smartly, accept “the law of the land” and suggest minor improvements that Democrats will, in their wisdom, decide whether or not to adopt.
In other words, they recommend the acquiescence of surrender.
If this were a consistent principle rather than opportunistic advice, Democrats would have been content to leave “don’t ask, don’t tell” in place and never would have agitated to repeal the Bush tax cuts, out of deference to duly constituted policy and law.
Nearly four years after ObamaCare passed, the coalition against it has expanded, not shrunk.
If that is the case that the nation does not want "Obama Care", then why does Congress find it necessary to attach it to the budget bill and hold the Nation hostage to change it? Pass the budget bill and then see if the Affordable Health Care zAct can be repealed....Oh, heah. They have already tried that and it failed.....
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is the case that the nation does not want "Obama Care", then why does Congress find it necessary to attach it to the budget bill and hold the Nation hostage to change it? Pass the budget bill and then see if the Affordable Health Care zAct can be repealed....Oh, heah. They have already tried that and it failed.....
No, it didn't fail. It passed the house. Harry Reid never brought up it for a vote in the senate. If he was sure of a vote to not repeal Obamacare in the senate, then he would have brought it up for a vote.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
It is funny Spacey[name calling] giving you a lecture on weather versus climate when just a few days ago, spacey was telling us that some hot WEATHER in Siberia was sign of AGW.
Spacey[name calling]: Siberia is defrosting under the artificial CO2 malady while you whine and deny, unsunny.
You are as DENSE as ever, LOL.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2013

ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>funny when it snows you loons[name calling] claim weather has nothing to do with climate. What does that statement have to do with climate change, dodo[name calling]? NOTHING!!!
What a fruit loop[name calling] you are, son !!!
Haahaa
You are as DENSE as ever, LOL.

Deny and lie without brain cells...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

85 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,083,336
Amy 7-30 6 min Pippa 12
Abby 7-30 12 min Sublime1 8
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 23 min Terry rigsby 49,008
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min LRS 175,089
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 51 min Stina2 97,575
Christianity 1 hr larry 1
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000