Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 47,501
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40182 Oct 3, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me fix that for you:
coming from someone who claimed Mann is a Nobel winning scientist over and over and over and over again. tsk tsk, little liar[name calling]!
LOL
You are not that good!

Ask your partner to translate my last post..
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40183 Oct 3, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>Lately the little rodent[name calling] is running neck and neck with litesong as the lead moron[name calling].
Fait accompli!

Read and translate my last post to your partner..'cause you two are not big enough for one post!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40184 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. we have a process in America that involves everyone......
Keep saying it until it works, huh..

They have tried to unravel the healthcare promise before it even takes effect more than 41 times..
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#40185 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times has the House tried to pass legislation to derail the Affordable Health Care Act (Almost the exact same as that introduced back in Hillary days by the Republicans)? 40 times?
If a clean budget bill were brought to a vote in the House it would probably pass. Why don't they allow that? Because they know there is no other way they can kill "Obama Care". No the extremists want to kill a bill duly passed and signed into law by attaching it to a budget bill and hold the Nation hostage. Pass a clean bill.
Put the Nation above Party.
The House didn't try to pass a bill, they DID pass a bill 40 times. Harry read has tabled the bill from the house 40 times....never has allowed the senate to vote on it. Now tell me how this is a democratic process? The majority of Americans don't like Obamacare before and after it was enacted and Harry Reid REFUSES to let these voices have a say. Harry Reid is the one that got us into this mess, if he had at least let the senate vote on the bills sent from the house, the GOP would not be attaching the delay in the individual mandate to this CR. It seems Harry Reid is the main problem in most everything with our government. He does not allow votes or debate. He even tabled a bipartisan gun bill to make it harder for those with mental illness to get a gun.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#40186 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
However, we have a process in America that involves everyone.
Then why doesn't Harry Reid allow the senate to vote?

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#40187 Oct 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Fait accompli!
a "mea culpa" would've helped your cause, but if you insist on continual lies....nothing I can do to help you, son.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#40188 Oct 3, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
The House didn't try to pass a bill, they DID pass a bill 40 times. Harry read has tabled the bill from the house 40 times....never has allowed the senate to vote on it. Now tell me how this is a democratic process? The majority of Americans don't like Obamacare before and after it was enacted and Harry Reid REFUSES to let these voices have a say. Harry Reid is the one that got us into this mess, if he had at least let the senate vote on the bills sent from the house, the GOP would not be attaching the delay in the individual mandate to this CR. It seems Harry Reid is the main problem in most everything with our government. He does not allow votes or debate. He even tabled a bipartisan gun bill to make it harder for those with mental illness to get a gun.
Yes the House did pass a Bill for the umpteenth time. However they knowingly passed Bills that they knew full well would not pass in the Senate. There was no way they ever could have passed in the Senate. When they pass an acceptable bill without trying to hold the Nation hostage, then the Senate can act and it will be up to President to sign it into law.

Unfortunately the Health Bill was watered down to nearly embrace the exact bill proposed by the Republicans during the Clinton era. What we need is a plan like those in the rest of the world that are about half as expensive as this one. If the private sector was able to compete with those prices in the rest of the industrial world, then we would not have had to attempt to change it.

We do not have a health plan, it is an insurance plan.

Wichita, KS

#40189 Oct 3, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why doesn't Harry Reid allow the senate to vote?
That is laughable. Everyone knows the outcome. Why waste the time.
----Democrat-controlled Senate hit the budgetary ball back less than an hour later by voting 54-46 to table the GOP measure, Roll Call reported.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/10/01/Bud...
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40190 Oct 3, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>a "mea culpa" would've helped ..
Not for your lying to infinity..

Fait accompli, LOL.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#40191 Oct 3, 2013
Teslas are dangerous it appears. Just like solar panels and wind turbines.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story...
Retired Farmer

La Fayette, KY

#40192 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times has the House tried to pass legislation to derail the Affordable Health Care Act (Almost the exact same as that introduced back in Hillary days by the Republicans)? 40 times?
If a clean budget bill were brought to a vote in the House it would probably pass. Why don't they allow that? Because they know there is no other way they can kill "Obama Care". No the extremists want to kill a bill duly passed and signed into law by attaching it to a budget bill and hold the Nation hostage. Pass a clean bill.
Put the Nation above Party.
Repealing Obamacare is not the real goal of the Tea Party and its super rich backers. It is just the easily recognizable issue that they are using to rally their grass roots supporters, who are mostly a bunch of ignorant damn fools.

The Tea Party's real goal is to restructure American society-economy into something like it was in the 1890-1910 timeframe, when government services for the people were minimal, the rich paid no taxes, and the workforce was large, poorly educated, and so impoverished that it had to work for wages barely high enough to sustain themselves. That is the paleo-libertarian economic side of it.

The other side of the "conservative" movement is a bunch of whacko religious fundamentalists known as "Christian Reconstructionists" who adhere to the teachings of Rev. Gary North, who want a theocracy that would resemble a "Christian" version of the Taliban or Iran with its religious law, preachers for judges, and a "Guardian Council" of top preachers with veto power over the civil government.

The two wingnuts have joined in the queerest of all queer political marriages. Each one has temporarily put aside part of its core beliefs in order to accommodate the other.

Along the way they have bundled a number of unrelated issues, Global Warming being a prime example, with their other goals. The paleo-libertarians don't want to do anything about it because they believe in totally free markets. So what if burning coal destroys the environment? They don't care. So they deny that it is or can happen. The religious side buy into that or, alternatively, say that Global Warming is a necessary precondition for the plagues of the Apocalypse, which they fervently pray will happen and soon because they expect to be "Raptured" before then and watch the show from Heaven.
Retired Farmer

La Fayette, KY

#40193 Oct 3, 2013
But back to the budget bill:

The Tea Party wants to shut the government down. They also want to prevent the debt ceiling from being raised - which is really a bigger goal than derailing Obamacare.

They think that if the debt ceiling is not raised, then the Treasury will be forced to operate on a cash basis - which means drastic budget cuts, something on the order of one-third of all federal spending would have to be eliminated.

That would give them a big start toward getting the dreamworld social-ecomomic structure that they want.

Wichita, KS

#40194 Oct 3, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
<quoted text>
Repealing Obamacare is not the real goal of the Tea Party and its super rich backers. It is just the easily recognizable issue that they are using to rally their grass roots supporters, who are mostly a bunch of ignorant damn fools.
The Tea Party's real goal is to restructure American society-economy into something like it was in the 1890-1910 timeframe, when government services for the people were minimal, the rich paid no taxes, and the workforce was large, poorly educated, and so impoverished that it had to work for wages barely high enough to sustain themselves. That is the paleo-libertarian economic side of it.
The other side of the "conservative" movement is a bunch of whacko religious fundamentalists known as "Christian Reconstructionists" who adhere to the teachings of Rev. Gary North, who want a theocracy that would resemble a "Christian" version of the Taliban or Iran with its religious law, preachers for judges, and a "Guardian Council" of top preachers with veto power over the civil government.
The two wingnuts have joined in the queerest of all queer political marriages. Each one has temporarily put aside part of its core beliefs in order to accommodate the other.
Along the way they have bundled a number of unrelated issues, Global Warming being a prime example, with their other goals. The paleo-libertarians don't want to do anything about it because they believe in totally free markets. So what if burning coal destroys the environment? They don't care. So they deny that it is or can happen. The religious side buy into that or, alternatively, say that Global Warming is a necessary precondition for the plagues of the Apocalypse, which they fervently pray will happen and soon because they expect to be "Raptured" before then and watch the show from Heaven.
I think it is more unholy than that. It is an unlikely incoherent bunch with which the Republican Party must cooperate or simply cease to be a facto. This has hamstrung the Party making it unable to function in any meaningful manner.

Somehow the differing factions have a stranglehold on the conservative media and are able to through hot button issues keep their followers stirred up and really believe they are supporting a viable Party. The religious aspect is frightening. One Taliban is more than enough!

Wichita, KS

#40195 Oct 3, 2013
Retired Farmer wrote:
But back to the budget bill:
The Tea Party wants to shut the government down. They also want to prevent the debt ceiling from being raised - which is really a bigger goal than derailing Obamacare.
They think that if the debt ceiling is not raised, then the Treasury will be forced to operate on a cash basis - which means drastic budget cuts, something on the order of one-third of all federal spending would have to be eliminated.
That would give them a big start toward getting the dreamworld social-ecomomic structure that they want.
Do they have any idea the path they are treading?

Wichita, KS

#40196 Oct 3, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
Teslas are dangerous it appears. Just like solar panels and wind turbines.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story...
Pipelines, oiltankers, airliners, coalmines, electric transmission lines, atomic reactors, or just about anything that utilizes concentrated energy sources.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#40197 Oct 3, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Not for your lying to infinity..
Fait accompli, LOL.
is calling me a liar your only defense of me proving that you're a liar, son?

You're pretty thick....and pathetic!

Find that Nobel of Mann's yet, son. After all, you seem to still insist he won the award!! Lol either way, you're either ignorant or a liar!

Lol
Retired Farmer

La Fayette, KY

#40198 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If by "they" you mean the top of the Tea Party movement, yes they do. They have a clear set of goals.

If by "they" you mean the fools at the grass roots - like here in Kentucky - who vote for and support them, yes, they do, in a hazy, not too well thought out way.

The economic side sees only "welfare" when they talk about cutting government spending. And they can point to first-person examples of people who are stereotypical welfare parasites. Poor and better off people in small rural communities live a lot closer together than they do in big cities. They don't notice the many people, elderly, working poor, genuinely disabled, etc. who benefit from the same "welfare" programs - even though they are just as close at hand.

The religious people see a set of "moral" issues and they want to remedy the situation by making the immoral activity illegal, be it abortion, gay marriage, or (in a dry county in the South) Prohibition of alcohol. They are largely oblivious of what the enforcement mechanism would be, how it would work, or how it would affect their own freedoms.

By bundling issues in one package tied with religion, they have made it impossible for most religious people to question or disagree with the new Right's stand on ANY issue. It is a matter of you have to accept all. Rejecting any part of the package is the same as rejecting all of the package.

I have actually had one preacher tell me that I was not a Christian and I am going to hell because 1) I believe human induced Global Warming is real 2) I think taxes on the rich should be increased back to the levels that they were in Eisenhower's time [the unright reverend denied that taxes were that high in Ike's time] 3) I voted to repeal Prohibition in the county where I live. To this guy, "green" energy is actually "Satanic". Concern for the environment is somehow "Paganism" because "environmentalists are really worshipping the old pagan nature gods."

Such views would not concern me if they were on the fringe -- where they were until a few years ago -- but now they are mainstream in the areas that elect Tea Party types to the U.S. Congress.

And it is not going to change quickly. It will take a generation for those ideas to recede, if then.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40199 Oct 3, 2013
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>is calling me a liar your only defense of me proving that you're a liar, son?
You're pretty thick....and pathetic!
Find that Nobel of Mann's yet, son. After all, you seem to still insist he won the award!! Lol either way, you're either ignorant or a liar!
Lol
LIAR..

Go back and re-read since I posted his book title..

Otherwise you are the thickest of all the deniers .. ever!

Awww here's a study hopefully to receive a Nobel prize:

Human brains found in a fire-affected 4000-years old Bronze Age tumulus layer rich in soil alkalines and boron in Kutahya, Western Anatolia{HOMO]
Retired Farmer

La Fayette, KY

#40200 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an example of some of the muddled thinking at the very bottom tips of the Tea Party's grass roots support:

"Nothing about the healthcare is about the bottom 4/5 or the top 1%. This is about people like you and I who have worked hard but can not afford the excessive premiums for women. If the congress gets the best healthcaare paid for by the citizens and 4 out of every 5 people in this country is on the government payroll,how in the hello can the other 1/5 survive? I say stop all government handouts to ANYONE that is illegal, healthy and big as a horse[they need exercise],those have never and never intend to work
If you go back to the rule of you eat when you work,there would be less folk with diabetes,high bloodpressure etc from being over weight. Before you all flip out I'm a big gal myself,so I can say this.
Another thing is the older people are struggling with everyday needs while these bloodsuckers in congress and the government handout tit are getting fatter,richer and more unconcerned with the working man/women.After all we don't count."

Almost nothing in this rant is fact-based, but it is sincerely believed by a great many people, the majority in the districts that elect Tea Party representatives to Congress.
Mayor Gloomberg

Los Angeles, CA

#40201 Oct 3, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure that some have an altruistic sentiment. I even agree with many of their ideals. However, we have a process in America that involves everyone. If an idea is rejected, to hold the Nation hostage by crippling the economy is not exactly altruistic.....
The process in America does not involve illegal aliens. I'm sure you agree, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Emeem 1,127,287
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 1 hr Lioncub 103
Charles Barkley said it! 2 hr CHUCK B 1
Dr 0782857120 abortion clinic in lebowakgomo 2 hr Dr john 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Mandela 68,673
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Hey U 50,660
Amy 10-24 6 hr RACE 16
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr WelbyMD 179,478
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]