Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
37,721 - 37,740 of 46,239 Comments Last updated 11 hrs ago

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very obvious they want a shutdown, because they sure are going against the 99% on this one. The common man has to live up to the obamacare mandate, but big business is let off the hook along with the over 1300 waivers for businesses and unions. The individual sure is getting screwed in this picture, especially since the majority of the individuals didn't want this to begin with.
As with global warming, so with healthcare legislation.

And Representative Peter King told the Washington Post he was "the only one who spoke strongly in opposition" to the shutdown, describing his conservative colleagues as "living in their own echo chamber, hearing themselves and talking to each other".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-243...

This is more than the House Republicans relentlessly pushing an advantage to wring some concessions out of the president. Their leadership looks and feels trapped. They made demands that they knew wouldn't be met rather than be accused of weakness and betrayal by their own hardliners.

The Republican leadership looks and feels trapped - they made demands that they knew wouldn't be met rather than be accused of weakness and betrayal by their own hardliners”

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Very obvious they want a shutdown, because they sure are going against the 99% on this one. The common man has to live up to the obamacare mandate, but big business is let off the hook along with the over 1300 waivers for businesses and unions. The individual sure is getting screwed in this picture, especially since the majority of the individuals didn't want this to begin with.
Just pass the budget and then use the process to address the Affordable Health Care Act if that is what they want to do. It is pathetic to hold the nation hostage because they don't like a law that was passed legally by the government. Get on with the buisness of the nation and quit whining.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pass the budget and then use the process to address the Affordable Health Care Act if that is what they want to do. It is pathetic to hold the nation hostage because they don't like a law that was passed legally by the government. Get on with the buisness of the nation and quit whining.
"hold the nation hostage"

It's obvious your partisan politics have trumped reason in this discussion.

Just like global warming, income inequality, and the role of government.

Run along... adults are talking here.
Cut n paste

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
But we really get tired of "I told you so" before it happens. This forum has been all about factual information from the warming side and your lot not acknowledging any of it.
So this forum (2008~Once Slow-Moving Threat, Global Warming Speeds Up...) has been all about factual information??? Yes, that is why your side is wrong. This forum starts out with a false premise and tries to build on it's error. We (our "lot") are simply pointing out the fallacies of your positions.

You say CO2 is a GHG... Fine
You say Man adds CO2 to the air... Fine!
You say the Earth is Warming... Fine!!!

See, we agree (and if you would check ALL THE THREADS you will find that I have been consistent in my position on the above three agreed upon points) so where is the problem?

The problem is you gays don't stop there. You go on to claim the opinions of people you do not even know are facts.

You have your opinions about our future climate and I have mine. My opinion is based on reason and logic that you believers have yet to challenge (only insults and denial on your part) and your opinions are based on false logic, the opinions of others and fear mongering.

Once you learn the difference between fact and opinion you too will find the flaws of your arguments.

There is nothing wrong with your facts... it's the conclusions (opinions) that are silly.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

You have your opinions about our future climate and I have mine.

My opinion is based on reason and logic and you believers have yet to challenge them. You only offer insults and denial in your objections to my points.

Your opinions are based on the opinions of others, false logic, the and fear mongering.

Global Warming has proven to be a good thing for civilization and there is little evidence (other than computer models) that a future of higher levels of CO2 in the air will be harmful. In FACT, every atmospheric CO2 experiment has shown the benevolence of higher levels of Carbon Dioxide.

At the levels we are ALL talking about: CO2 is life giving food... NOT a poison.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"hold the nation hostage"
It's obvious your partisan politics have trumped reason in this discussion.
Just like global warming, income inequality, and the role of government.
Run along... adults are talking here.
That is exactly what they are doing, holding the nation hostage. There is no reasoning on their part. Just temper tantrums. They want it and they are going to destroy all reason to get it. Just like how they have turned their back on science and income inequality.
What do they want? Power at any cost? It is Party above Nation. Grow up, hun.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Cut n paste wrote:
<quoted text>
So this forum (2008~Once Slow-Moving Threat, Global Warming Speeds Up...) has been all about factual information??? Yes, that is why your side is wrong. This forum starts out with a false premise and tries to build on it's error. We (our "lot") are simply pointing out the fallacies of your positions.
You say CO2 is a GHG... Fine
You say Man adds CO2 to the air... Fine!
You say the Earth is Warming... Fine!!!
See, we agree (and if you would check ALL THE THREADS you will find that I have been consistent in my position on the above three agreed upon points) so where is the problem?
The problem is you gays don't stop there. You go on to claim the opinions of people you do not even know are facts.
You have your opinions about our future climate and I have mine. My opinion is based on reason and logic that you believers have yet to challenge (only insults and denial on your part) and your opinions are based on false logic, the opinions of others and fear mongering.
Once you learn the difference between fact and opinion you too will find the flaws of your arguments.
There is nothing wrong with your facts... it's the conclusions (opinions) that are silly.
You do not base your opinions about global warming on science, exactly what do you base them upon?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

B as in B S as in S wrote:
You have your opinions about our future climate and I have mine.
My opinion is based on reason and logic and you believers have yet to challenge them. You only offer insults and denial in your objections to my points.
Your opinions are based on the opinions of others, false logic, the and fear mongering.
Global Warming has proven to be a good thing for civilization and there is little evidence (other than computer models) that a future of higher levels of CO2 in the air will be harmful. In FACT, every atmospheric CO2 experiment has shown the benevolence of higher levels of Carbon Dioxide.
At the levels we are ALL talking about: CO2 is life giving food... NOT a poison.
You are WRONG in your head.

From MIT Technology Review:

Solar, nuclear, and other non-fossil-­fuel energy sources need to be developed now, before carbon emissions get out of hand. MIT alumni could play a prominent part in discovering the technology needed to keep us all going. And there are fortunes to be made from the effort. It’s worth thinking about.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly what they are doing, holding the nation hostage. There is no reasoning on their part. Just temper tantrums. They want it and they are going to destroy all reason to get it. Just like how they have turned their back on science and income inequality.
What do they want? Power at any cost? It is Party above Nation. Grow up, hun.
And the three different spending bills sent to the Senate, and rejected without discussion or compromise?

Never let facts get in the way of your arguments, right?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not base your opinions about global warming on science, exactly what do you base them upon?
You mean the same science advocates cite then ignore?

That science?
Cut n Paste

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
...your opinions about global warming on science, exactly what do you base them upon?
A very good day to you, sir.
Thanks for asking Patriot AKA Bozo.
Like you... I base my opinions in part, on the scientific FACTS that we both agree upon:

CO2 is a GHG.
Man adds CO2 to the air.
Earth is Warming.

and...

There has never ever been a precedent for a Global Warming "Tipping Point".
There has never ever been a precedent for this planet having too much CO2.

That is part of the foundation for my opinions regarding "The Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide Driven Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption Orthodoxy" that is currently being so 'hotly' debated :-)

As for climate science claims... I respectfully suggest that it would behoove everyone to sort fact from opinion before one believes in the infallibility of The Prophets of The Carbon Dioxide Cataclysm.

Sincerely yours,
koolaid

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

The time has come.
http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/letters/2013/...
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What process to address obamacare? Harry Reid tables most everything the house sends to the senate. Obamacare was passed and yet we have a president, by executive order, who picks and chooses what part of the law he wants enforced or not enforced. So the house goes through the proper channels to get the individual mandate delayed, but they are the ones who are holding the government "hostage." My questions is why does Harry Reid think it is ok for the president to delay his own law, but it is "hostage" taking when the republicans ask for the same delay for the individual? All Harry Reid and the democrats in the senate have to do is say ok to a delay on the individual mandate and the government would be up and running again. Why is the individual mandate delay a bad thing?
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
As with global warming, so with healthcare legislation.
And Representative Peter King told the Washington Post he was "the only one who spoke strongly in opposition" to the shutdown, describing his conservative colleagues as "living in their own echo chamber, hearing themselves and talking to each other".
This is more than the House Republicans relentlessly pushing an advantage to wring some concessions out of the president. Their leadership looks and feels trapped. They made demands that they knew wouldn't be met rather than be accused of weakness and betrayal by their own hardliners.
The Republican leadership looks and feels trapped - they made demands that they knew wouldn't be met rather than be accused of weakness and betrayal by their own hardliners”
The political class live in their own echo chamber.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You are WRONG in your head.
From MIT Technology Review:
Solar, nuclear, and other non-fossil-­fuel energy sources need to be developed now, before carbon emissions get out of hand. MIT alumni could play a prominent part in discovering the technology needed to keep us all going. And there are fortunes to be made from the effort. It’s worth thinking about.
Well where have they been? I would think the smartest of the smart would have already been working on the technology. What are they waiting for?
Teaparty4everMEn U

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Ham, we did it! We shut the gubmint down! Folks will still whine and cry for all the stuff, the education, the security, the food, the hospitals, the medicines, the roads, the parks, the water, air and the whole shebang...and we can sell sorta reasonable facsimiles of the same services they so willingly let us cut down like weeds in a field. The big diff is we can SELL that that back to 'em, after a fashion, and only to the highest bidders. Rent a vault, the BIG COIN is a coming in! You jerks what is calling us Reichspublicans can go suck where your teeth used to rest.

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
And the three different spending bills sent to the Senate, and rejected without discussion or compromise?
Never let facts get in the way of your arguments, right?
If they send a clean bill, then perhaps the Senate can act upon it.
San Fran Wacko

Lakewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Teaparty4everMEnU wrote:
Ham, we did it! We shut the gubmint down! Folks will still whine and cry for all the stuff, the education, the security, the food, the hospitals, the medicines, the roads, the parks, the water, air and the whole shebang...and we can sell sorta reasonable facsimiles of the same services they so willingly let us cut down like weeds in a field. The big diff is we can SELL that that back to 'em, after a fashion, and only to the highest bidders. Rent a vault, the BIG COIN is a coming in! You jerks what is calling us Reichspublicans can go suck where your teeth used to rest.
Obama-worship is bad for your health. LOL

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
What process to address obamacare? Harry Reid tables most everything the house sends to the senate. Obamacare was passed and yet we have a president, by executive order, who picks and chooses what part of the law he wants enforced or not enforced. So the house goes through the proper channels to get the individual mandate delayed, but they are the ones who are holding the government "hostage." My questions is why does Harry Reid think it is ok for the president to delay his own law, but it is "hostage" taking when the republicans ask for the same delay for the individual? All Harry Reid and the democrats in the senate have to do is say ok to a delay on the individual mandate and the government would be up and running again. Why is the individual mandate delay a bad thing?
Just send a clean bill to the Senate. The Affordable Healthcare Bill is already in force. If they wish to deactivate it, let them do it upon its own merits. If deactivating the Healthcare Bill cannot stand on its own, perhaps they should move on.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If they send a clean bill, then perhaps the Senate can act upon it.
How silly.

I see you got your negotiation skills from Obama.

'Send me what I want, then we'll talk.'

Had Obamacare been a bipartisan bill it wouldn't get the opposition it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min fetch almighty 1,096,194
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 min edogxxx 97,827
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Beavis 176,805
Abby 8-22 13 min edogxxx 3
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min Chickenpoo 49,272
Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer ... (Jul '09) 17 min Redlex busted 179
Amy 8-22 20 min edogxxx 4

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:28AM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE