Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Comments (Page 1,880)

Showing posts 37,581 - 37,600 of43,013
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If we can get the Republicans to quit being childish and trying to have their way through temper tantrums and get the business of the nation taken care of, then perhaps we can move on to other things. If they want to kill Obama Care, then pass the damned budget and take care of Obama Care later, if that is what they want. They know that their whims will not stand on their own and are trying to extort the process through underhanded tactics.
Oh... you're back. Care now to show some intellectual honesty and hold your global warming leaders accountable?

No?

Gee... now why would Joe Sixpack follow advice from 'experts' who are ignored by their most outspoken advocates?

Whole lotta Joe Sixpacks in that poll you just ignored.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that you drop the subject. Everyone understands the situation. Mann was a major contributor to the IPCC which won the Nobel Peace Prize. He as well as all the contributors were recognized. While individuals did not get a certicicate, they all share in that given to the IPCC.
But this is all a distraction to steer the discussion away from the science that says that there is 95% confidence that human activity is a major factor in the current global warming. This is a very strong statement and to dismiss it requires a pigheadedness of vast proportion. About the only way it can be dismissed is by subscribing to a conspiracy theory of unimaginable magnitude. But some have little qualms about being unimaginable.
You're a good man, Charlie Brown!
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that you drop the subject. Everyone understands the situation. Mann was a major contributor to the IPCC which won the Nobel Peace Prize. He as well as all the contributors were recognized. While individuals did not get a certicicate, they all share in that given to the IPCC.
But this is all a distraction to steer the discussion away from the science that says that there is 95% confidence that human activity is a major factor in the current global warming. This is a very strong statement and to dismiss it requires a pigheadedness of vast proportion. About the only way it can be dismissed is by subscribing to a conspiracy theory of unimaginable magnitude. But some have little qualms about being unimaginable.
How predictable... a warmist cannot criticize another warmist.

Pigheadedness of vast proportion? Like your advocates who don't abide by the science they advocate?

Yeah... there's an argument for ya.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll.

'nuf said.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
If we can get the Republicans to quit being childish and trying to have their way through temper tantrums and get the business of the nation taken care of, then perhaps we can move on to other things. If they want to kill Obama Care, then pass the damned budget and take care of Obama Care later, if that is what they want. They know that their whims will not stand on their own and are trying to extort the process through underhanded tactics.
Exactly, when are these tea party republicans going to accept they were not born to rule. In fact the nation rejected them, Health care was passed into law, then challenged in the supreme court & finally a presidential election. They lost on all counts, imagine if Obama tried a nation wide carbon tax they would go into meltdown.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

STOCKHOLM: The UN's climate panel said Friday it was more certain than ever that humans were the cause of global warming and predicted temperatures would rise another 0.3 to 4.8 degrees Celsius (0.5-8.6 degrees Fahrenheit) this century.

Heatwaves, floods, droughts and rising seas are among the threats that will intensify through warming, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said in a report released in Stockholm.

Environmental activists, scientists and leading politicians said the long-awaited review of climate science proved fossil-fuel burning must be urgently curbed.

http://dawn.com/news/1046041/temperatures-cou...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
That seems to suggest that any weather event anywhere on Earth will be perceived as evidence of AGW if a model or study forecasted it
No. If they can forecast something with more accuracy than anyone else could then they will have one 'empirical test' of their forecast model. But that is only one element of theory. Theory will incorporate a lot of these plus a lot of other methods.
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
and it appears that authors of studies have forecasted about every possible weather event one can imagine.
Bulloney. At most, they have so far predicted 'higher precipitation records' but not specific events such as Colorado. And may never do so. Weather is not predictable except in a very short term. Climate is more predictable but not as detailed.

But keep demonstrating your ignorance.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
psst... mortgage providers require homeowners insurance as terms of the loan, so 'buying' it isn't optional.
You are exceedingly stupid.

You would gamble your house and everything in it against any odds? You must have no favorite chair, no valued photographs of your children, no sentimental remnant from a long-dead grandmother. Your house cannot be called a home, for surely it only contains the material and has no soul.

And you are exceedingly stupid in thinking that I am required to insure my home. For me, it's optional.

Sorry, Charlie, but this house is paid for...and I don't intend to lose my investment to anyone or anything.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't. The end point of science is theory. And the only theory here is AGW. Papers on climate change that say Europe will warm or Europe will cool are 'preliminary thoughts' and speculation based on particular lines of investigation. They are not theory and will be challenged until science is satisfied that it has the final answer and establishes more theory.
You are claiming that the jury cannot reach a verdict because the defense and prosecution are saying different things... as the best analogy I can make.
I could very convincingly argue that things will get better for Canadians; I could take an extremely optimistic view.

You could just as well argue for a Canadian catastrophe.

We agree on AGW/CC. We could dispute the details.

And this is where we find the most advanced deniers/borderline skeptics. At Skeptical Science's Denier Argument #3 or Skeptical Science's Denier Argument #8. It won't be that bad or every animal and plant can adapt, including humans.

The debate is still open folks. But please stop your lying denial that it's happening!

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, grief .. this is my planet.. in blue:
http://129.164.179.22/apod/ap1 30928.html
Get off it, LIAR.
i think i'll stay.....i enjoy the co2 among other things on MY planet too much to leave. since you're such a gloom and doomer.....maybe you should make your escape, son.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exceedingly stupid.
You would gamble your house and everything in it against any odds? You must have no favorite chair, no valued photographs of your children, no sentimental remnant from a long-dead grandmother. Your house cannot be called a home, for surely it only contains the material and has no soul.
And you are exceedingly stupid in thinking that I am required to insure my home. For me, it's optional.
Sorry, Charlie, but this house is paid for...and I don't intend to lose my investment to anyone or anything.
"the chances of your house being destroyed by fire or tornado are diminishingly small (far less than 5%), yet we still buy homeowner's insurance"

So the "we" you refer to is your own house.

Good for you, buy insurance.

But that doesn't change the FACT the mortgage companies require it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"the chances of your house being destroyed by fire or tornado are diminishingly small (far less than 5%), yet we still buy homeowner's insurance"
So the "we" you refer to is your own house.
Good for you, buy insurance.
But that doesn't change the FACT the mortgage companies require it.
What about when insurance companies refuse to insure as they access the risk in disaster prone areas from climate change. Not only will premiums rise in some places point blank refusal. This has already happened in other parts of the world.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
What about when insurance companies refuse to insure as they access the risk in disaster prone areas from climate change. Not only will premiums rise in some places point blank refusal. This has already happened in other parts of the world.
Ask caveman... he's the one who created this silly analogy.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The moth has no answer, so he spins a cocoon.

Flood insurance rates in Florida have gone up so much that only the richest will be able to live on the coast.

I heard of a premium increase of $1,800 to $15,000 a year.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
How predictable... a warmist cannot criticize another warmist.
Pigheadedness of vast proportion? Like your advocates who don't abide by the science they advocate?
Yeah... there's an argument for ya.
Still whinnn nin g! Stopping Al Gore from flying in an airplane isn't going to fix global warming.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

rje wrote:
I know burning tires is bad for the environment but what about liberals?
We know "rje" is bad for the environment, whether burned or unburned.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

OzRitz wrote:
Exactly, when are these tea party republicans going to accept they were not born to rule. In fact the nation rejected them, Health care was passed into law, then challenged in the supreme court & finally a presidential election. They lost on all counts, imagine if Obama tried a nation wide carbon tax they would go into meltdown.
tea party re-pubic-lick-uns only had power with re-pubic-lick-un manipulation of undemocratic congressional power plays & with money from conservative, oil, energy & polluting businesses. Things came to large regional & national votes, tp's showed themselves to be...... toilet paper.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

"psst... "

As if it were telling a secret that I didn't already know.

"mortgage providers require homeowners insurance as terms of the loan, "

It assumed that I had a mortgage, perhaps because it still struggles with one.

"so 'buying' it isn't optional. "

It assumes that buying insurance isn't an option for me, but it is, and I took that option because, as I said,

There is a very small chance that your house will be destroyed by fire or tornado, yet SMART people buy homeowner's insurance.

So the analogy stands, that there is about a 95% chance that climate change will be catastrophic for our civilization, yet the ignorant and illogical refuse to purchase the insurance.

It would not make a very good financial advisor.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

middleofthedownwronggully wrote:
i enjoy the co2.....on MY planet.....
Since you maybe related to "slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig dirtling", who is "eart hling(alien with no affinity to Earth)", you are an off-worlder, at least, no matter how many off-worlder protests you send to & against the UN. The gully you are in, indeed, is off-world.
B as in B S as in S

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>As I posted before.. what do you expect, dino rain?
This our planet, love it or leave it.
http://129.164.179.22/apod/ap1 30928.html
Exactly... If you don't like the planet and It's weather ~leave!
Otherwise, stop TRYING to change our planet and embrace the benefits of a warmer climate.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 37,581 - 37,600 of43,013
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Eleanor Beaver 1,034,236
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 65,124
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Frank 167,628
Abby 4-19 1 hr Mister Tonka 23
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr cheluzal 96,140
gay (May '13) 2 hr anthony23 10
Music Artists A to Z 2 hr _Zoey_ 93
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs