Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
37,561 - 37,580 of 46,307 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39985 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Google the Biggert-Waters Act passed by Congress in 2012, dumbass.
The government once again 'fixed' things good.
Eliminating government subsidies? That is definitely a good 'fix' for high losses to the public from 'protecting' the parasites. You must be one of the money suckers, aggrieved that you aren't getting someone else's money to compensate you for risky behavior?

I notice that most denialists are motivated by money issues. Either fossil fuel stock investment or a desire for someone else to pay the bill for their pleasure.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#39986 Sep 30, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
"In Washington, President Obama’s science adviser, John P. Holdren, cited increased scientific confidence “that the kinds of harm already being experienced from climate change will continue to worsen unless and until comprehensive and vigorous action to reduce emissions is undertaken worldwide.”
I thought the president's oath of office was to protect America's security above all else. Do you think he should ignore this one and take his advice from Sarah Palin instead
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/science/glo...
Seriously, John Holdren? LOL. None of his predictions have been even close to being right.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#39987 Sep 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh! But it has little to do with who is President. It is Congress that controls the spending and formulates the laws. It started with the philosophy of the conservatives who contend that helping the affluent trickles down to the rest. Or perhaps the "Oat and Sparrow" theory. Feed the horse good oats and the sparrows can pick what passes through....
Oh lord….ok, it’s not Obama’s fault. But it was Bush’s fault when he was president. But I guess now we know it was not Clinton that balanced the budget, but the republican-led congress that did. Anyway, all presidents and congresses have increased the size of government. When the government takes more and more control of the private sector, you are going to getter a bigger and bigger divide between the wealthy and the poor. You will have a shrinking middle class. So as long as the government continues to grow, regardless of who is in control, the wealth division will only get worse. All countries whose government takes more control of the private sector do not have a healthy middle class. That’s just a fact.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#39988 Sep 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that you drop the subject. Everyone understands the situation. Mann was a major contributor to the IPCC which won the Nobel Peace Prize. He as well as all the contributors were recognized. While individuals did not get a certicicate, they all share in that given to the IPCC.
But this is all a distraction to steer the discussion away from the science that says that there is 95% confidence that human activity is a major factor in the current global warming. This is a very strong statement and to dismiss it requires a pigheadedness of vast proportion. About the only way it can be dismissed is by subscribing to a conspiracy theory of unimaginable magnitude. But some have little qualms about being unimaginable.
Don’t need a conspiracy theory, just observations. How can the IPCC claim an increase in confidence of AGW when they are now less confident in the climate sensitivity of a doubling of CO2? When they are not confident in the reasons for the standstill? When they have no idea where the “missing heat” is, maybe it’s in the deep ocean, they don’t know. When Antartica still continues record breaking ice expansion and they are not confident as to the reasons why. The seas are not rising at an alarming rate. The polar bear populations are increasing. There is no increase in storm activity with hurricanes down, tornadoes down, forest fires down, droughts and floods with no increase in frequency. Hardly a reason to up the confidence level.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39989 Sep 30, 2013
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes!
A simple question looking for an easy answer... What theory? I have yet to read a single scientific theory of Climate Change.
The theory is AGW. NOT climate change.

Working models are one ELEMENT that would go into a theory of climate. BUILDING a theory of climate change is the next step, and models which reproduce the behavior of the world from basic physics show cause and effect relationships.

They have shown such a cause and effect relationship which now is validated as a consequence of AGW warming.

The science has moved on from the theory of AGW (which is established and no longer the main focus of research) to Climate Change which is the result of AGW changes to temperature and temperature distributions. That research is producing results as in here.
dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone have a link to a climate change theory or two... or three? A link to the hypothesis that the theory is based on is optional but would be appreciated.
The hypothesis is clearly that the physics of the Pacific Ocean will reproduce the ENSO and PDO cycles and as a CONSEQUENCE of these ocean and wind movements will lower the air temperature.

Have you not been paying attention at all? Or are you stupid?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39990 Sep 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t think you even read the article. The whole point was our carbon emissions decreased not because of carbon pricing but because of market forces. CHEAP GAS.
The rest of your diatribe makes no sense. I’m not against the capitalist system. I’m against those who say the capitalist system is the cause of all our problems.
I'm noticing that Oz keeps twisting the arguments into anti-capitalistic rants.

The global warming movement attracts all kinds.

From the truly devoted -- caveman...
to the strident -- hype...
to the wannabe -- spacey...
to the envious -- Oz...
to the liberal hacks -- bozo...
to the loony -- litesong.

Seems to be just a 'movement' of convenience for most to latch onto and spew their favorite talking points.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39991 Sep 30, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Eliminating government subsidies? That is definitely a good 'fix' for high losses to the public from 'protecting' the parasites. You must be one of the money suckers, aggrieved that you aren't getting someone else's money to compensate you for risky behavior?
I notice that most denialists are motivated by money issues. Either fossil fuel stock investment or a desire for someone else to pay the bill for their pleasure.
blah, blah, blah....

Never mind the government 'fix' didn't.

Run along... I'm sure there's some other trivial niche on the internet you can rant on.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39992 Sep 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, John Holdren? LOL. None of his predictions have been even close to being right.
They don't ever have to be right. They only need to be 95% confident that sometime they might be.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#39993 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you brought that up again.
Good 'ol Al is trampling the 'science' he trumpets, but from the warmists, any criticism?
Nope.
Moth-eaten, is that your only whinny argument?

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39994 Sep 30, 2013
The major driver of global warming is not co2....it's the UN!

Lol

http://globalnews.ca/news/868787/why-the-ipcc...

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39995 Sep 30, 2013

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39996 Sep 30, 2013
I want to take this opportunity to than the IPCC for their latest assessment. Now the world can clearly see what a group of bogus bureaucrats these gallows birds really are!!!

Lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24384...
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#39998 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm noticing that Oz keeps twisting the arguments into anti-capitalistic rants.
The global warming movement attracts all kinds.
From the truly devoted -- caveman...
to the strident -- hype...
to the wannabe -- spacey...
to the envious -- Oz...
to the liberal hacks -- bozo...
to the loony -- litesong.
Seems to be just a 'movement' of convenience for most to latch onto and spew their favorite talking points.
Oz loves China. He needs to get a T-shirt that says Oz hearts China.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#39999 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't ever have to be right. They only need to be 95% confident that sometime they might be.
Even if they are never right, they will be right. That's pretty much how it works. They hold John Holdren up as some person to listen to even though he has never been right in his entire life.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#40000 Sep 30, 2013
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if they are never right, they will be right. That's pretty much how it works. They hold John Holdren up as some person to listen to even though he has never been right in his entire life.
Better than 5% confidence that they are wrong.....
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40001 Sep 30, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly... If you don't like the planet and It's weather ~leave!
Otherwise, stop TRYING to change our planet and embrace the benefits of a warmer climate.
Why are deniers so dumb and blind? This forum is about the man-made global warming and thus climate changing.

You as a denier are trying to change MY planet. Read the new report by the UN. Then respond with a little know-how of who's doing what.

Good grief!
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40002 Sep 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya' know... I can bring it up as often as you do.

So tell me... where's the criticism for Al Gore's carbon footprint? For Obama's?

The hypocrisy is all yours.

Revel in it.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#40003 Sep 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Why are deniers so dumb and blind? This forum is about the man-made global warming and thus climate changing.
You as a denier are trying to change MY planet. Read the new report by the UN. Then respond with a little know-how of who's doing what.
Good grief!
Too late! The UN report was put to better use lining a bird cage... or a litter box.

Run along, mr no-credibility.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40004 Sep 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>To another:

It loves to whine and deny!

It is definitely an addiction.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#40005 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Too late! The UN report was put to better use lining a bird cage... or a litter box.
Run along, mr no-credibility[name calling].
Whine and deny!

You are a traitor to the human race..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Lily Boca Raton FL 1,100,119
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Dale 177,368
Abby 8-29 11 min Julie 10
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 24 min JOEL 68,975
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 31 min Paco Pinto 4,666
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 45 min Duane Mills 49,476
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 49 min Sublime1 97,930
Amy 8-29 2 hr Kuuipo 13
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••