Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Dec 14, 2008 Read more: Newsday 52,704
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Read more
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39961 Sep 29, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
psst... mortgage providers require homeowners insurance as terms of the loan, so 'buying' it isn't optional.
You are exceedingly stupid.

You would gamble your house and everything in it against any odds? You must have no favorite chair, no valued photographs of your children, no sentimental remnant from a long-dead grandmother. Your house cannot be called a home, for surely it only contains the material and has no soul.

And you are exceedingly stupid in thinking that I am required to insure my home. For me, it's optional.

Sorry, Charlie, but this house is paid for...and I don't intend to lose my investment to anyone or anything.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39962 Sep 29, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't. The end point of science is theory. And the only theory here is AGW. Papers on climate change that say Europe will warm or Europe will cool are 'preliminary thoughts' and speculation based on particular lines of investigation. They are not theory and will be challenged until science is satisfied that it has the final answer and establishes more theory.
You are claiming that the jury cannot reach a verdict because the defense and prosecution are saying different things... as the best analogy I can make.
I could very convincingly argue that things will get better for Canadians; I could take an extremely optimistic view.

You could just as well argue for a Canadian catastrophe.

We agree on AGW/CC. We could dispute the details.

And this is where we find the most advanced deniers/borderline skeptics. At Skeptical Science's Denier Argument #3 or Skeptical Science's Denier Argument #8. It won't be that bad or every animal and plant can adapt, including humans.

The debate is still open folks. But please stop your lying denial that it's happening!

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39963 Sep 29, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, grief .. this is my planet.. in blue:
http://129.164.179.22/apod/ap1 30928.html
Get off it, LIAR.
i think i'll stay.....i enjoy the co2 among other things on MY planet too much to leave. since you're such a gloom and doomer.....maybe you should make your escape, son.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39964 Sep 29, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exceedingly stupid.
You would gamble your house and everything in it against any odds? You must have no favorite chair, no valued photographs of your children, no sentimental remnant from a long-dead grandmother. Your house cannot be called a home, for surely it only contains the material and has no soul.
And you are exceedingly stupid in thinking that I am required to insure my home. For me, it's optional.
Sorry, Charlie, but this house is paid for...and I don't intend to lose my investment to anyone or anything.
"the chances of your house being destroyed by fire or tornado are diminishingly small (far less than 5%), yet we still buy homeowner's insurance"

So the "we" you refer to is your own house.

Good for you, buy insurance.

But that doesn't change the FACT the mortgage companies require it.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#39965 Sep 29, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"the chances of your house being destroyed by fire or tornado are diminishingly small (far less than 5%), yet we still buy homeowner's insurance"
So the "we" you refer to is your own house.
Good for you, buy insurance.
But that doesn't change the FACT the mortgage companies require it.
What about when insurance companies refuse to insure as they access the risk in disaster prone areas from climate change. Not only will premiums rise in some places point blank refusal. This has already happened in other parts of the world.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39966 Sep 29, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
What about when insurance companies refuse to insure as they access the risk in disaster prone areas from climate change. Not only will premiums rise in some places point blank refusal. This has already happened in other parts of the world.
Ask caveman... he's the one who created this silly analogy.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39969 Sep 30, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
The moth has no answer, so he spins a cocoon.

Flood insurance rates in Florida have gone up so much that only the richest will be able to live on the coast.

I heard of a premium increase of $1,800 to $15,000 a year.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#39970 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
How predictable... a warmist cannot criticize another warmist.
Pigheadedness of vast proportion? Like your advocates who don't abide by the science they advocate?
Yeah... there's an argument for ya.
Still whinnn nin g! Stopping Al Gore from flying in an airplane isn't going to fix global warming.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#39971 Sep 30, 2013
rje wrote:
I know burning tires is bad for the environment but what about liberals?
We know "rje" is bad for the environment, whether burned or unburned.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#39972 Sep 30, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
Exactly, when are these tea party republicans going to accept they were not born to rule. In fact the nation rejected them, Health care was passed into law, then challenged in the supreme court & finally a presidential election. They lost on all counts, imagine if Obama tried a nation wide carbon tax they would go into meltdown.
tea party re-pubic-lick-uns only had power with re-pubic-lick-un manipulation of undemocratic congressional power plays & with money from conservative, oil, energy & polluting businesses. Things came to large regional & national votes, tp's showed themselves to be...... toilet paper.
gcaveman1

Laurel, MS

#39973 Sep 30, 2013
"psst... "

As if it were telling a secret that I didn't already know.

"mortgage providers require homeowners insurance as terms of the loan, "

It assumed that I had a mortgage, perhaps because it still struggles with one.

"so 'buying' it isn't optional. "

It assumes that buying insurance isn't an option for me, but it is, and I took that option because, as I said,

There is a very small chance that your house will be destroyed by fire or tornado, yet SMART people buy homeowner's insurance.

So the analogy stands, that there is about a 95% chance that climate change will be catastrophic for our civilization, yet the ignorant and illogical refuse to purchase the insurance.

It would not make a very good financial advisor.
litesong

Monroe, WA

#39974 Sep 30, 2013
middleofthedownwronggully wrote:
i enjoy the co2.....on MY planet.....
Since you maybe related to "slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig dirtling", who is "eart hling(alien with no affinity to Earth)", you are an off-worlder, at least, no matter how many off-worlder protests you send to & against the UN. The gully you are in, indeed, is off-world.
B as in B S as in S

Shakopee, MN

#39975 Sep 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>As I posted before.. what do you expect, dino rain?
This our planet, love it or leave it.
http://129.164.179.22/apod/ap1 30928.html
Exactly... If you don't like the planet and It's weather ~leave!
Otherwise, stop TRYING to change our planet and embrace the benefits of a warmer climate.
dont drink the koolaid

Shakopee, MN

#39976 Sep 30, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
No. If they can forecast something with more accuracy than anyone else could then they will have one 'empirical test' of their forecast model. But that is only one element of theory. Theory will incorporate a lot of these plus a lot of other methods.
Yes!

A simple question looking for an easy answer... What theory? I have yet to read a single scientific theory of Climate Change.

Does anyone have a link to a climate change theory or two... or three? A link to the hypothesis that the theory is based on is optional but would be appreciated.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39977 Sep 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Still whinnn nin g! Stopping Al Gore from flying in an airplane isn't going to fix global warming.
Glad you brought that up again.

Good 'ol Al is trampling the 'science' he trumpets, but from the warmists, any criticism?

Nope.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39979 Sep 30, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Flood insurance rates in Florida have gone up so much that only the richest will be able to live on the coast.
Google the Biggert-Waters Act passed by Congress in 2012, dumbass.

The government once again 'fixed' things good.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39980 Sep 30, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Loon... even with meds.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39982 Sep 30, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is still pretty small compared to storm losses of a house. Must be expecting a hit only every ten years or so. That may be optimistic. Get out of insurance stocks. Their profits will be spotty and losses may be dramatic if AGW is unchecked.
kristy

Oviedo, FL

#39983 Sep 30, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is the case, then don't knock Al Gore for him making a buck out of it as well. BTW that's the whole idea of carbon pricing to use market forces to drive the cost of fossil fuels up and make alternative energies more viable. The next Bill Gates just might happen to be a green tech nerd. So don't knock the capitalist system you defend because others use it to push their own barrow.
In the worlds top 10 rich list there is at least 7 of them with liberal leanings. The top 2 are as liberal as you can get, Apple who was headed by Steve Jobs when he was alive became the worlds biggest company. Jobs & Gates true liberals yet ruthless in the business world. So how does this equate to the idea amongst you conservatives that no liberal would know how to run a business. Obama gets accused of it daily, but the facts suggest otherwise.
The are more liberals in the top 100 worlds rich list that make die hard conservatives who aspire to know all about business a very poor minority. Most of the conservatives on that list make their money from digging holes in the ground, so go figure who is going to take a strong stance on killing the message of global warming? It sure as hell won't be Bill Gates and his clan, so before labelling Gore etc a hypocrite take a good look in the mirror.
I donít think you even read the article. The whole point was our carbon emissions decreased not because of carbon pricing but because of market forces. CHEAP GAS.

The rest of your diatribe makes no sense. Iím not against the capitalist system. Iím against those who say the capitalist system is the cause of all our problems.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39985 Sep 30, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Google the Biggert-Waters Act passed by Congress in 2012, dumbass.
The government once again 'fixed' things good.
Eliminating government subsidies? That is definitely a good 'fix' for high losses to the public from 'protecting' the parasites. You must be one of the money suckers, aggrieved that you aren't getting someone else's money to compensate you for risky behavior?

I notice that most denialists are motivated by money issues. Either fossil fuel stock investment or a desire for someone else to pay the bill for their pleasure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min PolakPotrafi 1,216,709
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 52 min God worships Israel 71,941
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr RJS 8,010
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Guru 186,856
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Cold Front 69,605
amy april 17 11 hr duke86 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 hr PEllen 99,350
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]