Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 46,644
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#39697 Sep 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, wrong again.
You've picked out Fox News as your favorite boogie man.
Get over it.
Scientists equate globalwarming with human activities with a 95% certainty. That is equivalent with the certainty for tobacco causing health problems. Where do you get your information that this is not so? Some blog?

Wichita, KS

#39698 Sep 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot deny the effects of government policy.
Those policies are what makes America great! The private sector would run ramped if it was not for the government policies. Much of those policies are paid for by the private sector influence in Congress. Who can we trust? I'll trust the democratic policies of the USA.

Wichita, KS

#39699 Sep 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You're presupposing that it is a crisis in the first place.
But you still post over and over again driving up your own carbon footprint while still demanding others reduce theirs.
Global warming hypocrites are everywhere so you aren't alone.
You might take some solace in that, but it doesn't make you any less a hypocrite.
It is not a crisis today, but that is what we want to protect against. Going around screaming that the scientists are calling global warming a crisis today is disingenuous. Scientist are simply trying to get a handle on future problems caused by adding all that CO2 from burning fossil fuels.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39700 Sep 24, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists equate globalwarming with human activities with a 95% certainty. That is equivalent with the certainty for tobacco causing health problems. Where do you get your information that this is not so? Some blog?
Ya know... I'm sure Fox News is on right now. Why don't your run on over and find out what else you can blame on them.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39701 Sep 24, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Those policies are what makes America great! The private sector would run ramped if it was not for the government policies. Much of those policies are paid for by the private sector influence in Congress. Who can we trust? I'll trust the democratic policies of the USA.
Fox News! Fox News! Fox News!

There... that should make you feel better.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39702 Sep 24, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a crisis today, but that is what we want to protect against. Going around screaming that the scientists are calling global warming a crisis today is disingenuous. Scientist are simply trying to get a handle on future problems caused by adding all that CO2 from burning fossil fuels.
Seriously? You're arguing that overblowing the argument today is for the betterment of the future?

Wow.

When did deceit become a scientific practice?

btw, I said the scientists WEREN'T acting as if it is the CRISIS the warmists say it is.

Neither are the warmists loudest politicians, spokesmen and proponents.

But there are a gaggle of them tearing up the internet and the media as if it is.(Never mind that they take plane trips for their conferences, marches, and conventions gobbling up all kinds of fossil fuels while at the same time lamenting that use of those same fossil fuels are causing the problem in the first place.)

Wichita, KS

#39703 Sep 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? You're arguing that overblowing the argument today is for the betterment of the future?
Wow.
When did deceit become a scientific practice?
btw, I said the scientists WEREN'T acting as if it is the CRISIS the warmists say it is.
Neither are the warmists loudest politicians, spokesmen and proponents.
But there are a gaggle of them tearing up the internet and the media as if it is.(Never mind that they take plane trips for their conferences, marches, and conventions gobbling up all kinds of fossil fuels while at the same time lamenting that use of those same fossil fuels are causing the problem in the first place.)
So, do you agree that it is possible that it will become a crisis in the future? I doubt it, you mostly just deny anything that supports the fact that CO2 levels are a future problem. Most of the frenzy that I see on the internet is from those who deny that global warming is a future problem and pretend that burning fossil fuels is perfectly harmless......

Wichita, KS

#39704 Sep 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm...I must have touched a nerve.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39705 Sep 24, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm...I must have touched a nerve.
LOL

Not at all. Just giving you blame target up front.

Happy now?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#39706 Sep 24, 2013
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
You know scientists by their nature are usually introverted so selling a message is not what they are about. There are not too many David Suzuki's in this world. So they have to rely on the honesty of the press to get their message out. On the other hand any commercial interest that wants to defend the status quo can buy any PR machine to do the work for them including right wing bloggers putting out tonnes of misinformation. When it comes to the environment, we either have to put faith in our government or collect from & rely on the public to protect it. It won't come from anywhere else.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#39707 Sep 24, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
You know scientists by their nature are usually introverted so selling a message is not what they are about. There are not too many David Suzuki's in this world. So they have to rely on the honesty of the press to get their message out. On the other hand any commercial interest that wants to defend the status quo can buy any PR machine to do the work for them including right wing bloggers putting out tonnes of misinformation. When it comes to the environment, we either have to put faith in our government or collect from & rely on the public to protect it. It won't come from anywhere else.
Not just the status quo buys PR machines like Al Gore, who hypes the issue, and makes absurd proclamations.

Your lens needs cleaning.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#39708 Sep 24, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
So they have to rely on the honesty of the press to get their message out.
Not a likely outcome when Faux News is the medium.

Rupert Murdock wants to CONTROL the message, not deliver it.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#39709 Sep 24, 2013
When does a crisis become a crisis? Just when it is recognized?

I could argue that eating tainted food is a crisis for your body from the beginning, but is only recognized as one when you get sick.

Likewise, we could be in a crisis now, but don't recognize it. Someone sounding an alarm now could be considered a fear-monger, and in hindsight, a few years down the road, a visionary.

Dr. Hanson comes to mind.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#39710 Sep 24, 2013
Wheat will not do well as temperatures increase, as hotter weather will affect growth and the amount of disease the plant has to deal with.

Eating bread with certain fungi in it will induce a crisis in your body, as well; one that could be fatal.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#39711 Sep 24, 2013
I love my bananas, but an increasing number of extreme weather events, like typhoon Bopha, which destroyed one quarter of the 2012 Philippine crop, will only increase my food costs in the future.
gcaveman1

Louin, MS

#39712 Sep 24, 2013
More sweet stuff, like maple syrup yields, is being reduced by warmer winters in the Northeast. Not only is that a rather bitter pill, but the syrup industry, worth about $25 million, is being impacted by climate change.

Nothing to waffle about; I'd hate to see the industry pancake.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39713 Sep 24, 2013
I don't do wine, but I understand too much heat makes for a poor quality crop of grapes.

You probably won't be able to stomp out very bad years in the future.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#39714 Sep 24, 2013
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

the degenerative mindset of the alarmist.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#39715 Sep 24, 2013
Chicken is the most common meat in the world. And here in the South, chicken house proliferate.

But in 2012, the drought was so bad, that chicken feed had to imported into Georgia from Brazil.

I remember several years ago, heat waves killed millions of chickens in their houses because the fans there could only circulate hot, dry air and the birds couldn't take it. Many chicken farmers were driven out of the business.

Then, on the local level, my neighbor had four out of five of his chicken houses destroyed by the tornado we experienced in 2011, with a loss of close to 100,000 chicks. His insurance paid, but he decided to get out of the business. One less supplier means that many fewer fryers on the market leading to a slight increase in cost because of shorter supply; just another penny or two added to your grocery bill, which is constantly increased by the effects of climate change.

We are paying for global warming every day.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#39716 Sep 24, 2013
The Arctic seas are among those most vulnerable to acidification, because the cold allows them to absorb more CO2. This increasing acidity is already known to affect some Arctic creatures which use calcium to build their shells, including some sea snails, mussels and other molluscs.

But scientists had not known unil now how acidification alters both the base of the marine food web and oceanic carbon transport. The five week-long field study, conducted in the Kongsfjord in Svalbard, sought to close this knowledge gap.

For the experiment the scientists deployed nine large “mesocosms”– eight-metre long flotation frames carrying plastic bags with a capacity of 50 cubic metres. These bags let researchers study plankton communities in their natural environment under controlled conditions, rather than in a laboratory.

The scientists gradually added CO2 to the mesocosm water so that it reached the acidity levels expected in 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 years, with two bags left as controls. They also added nutrients to simulate a natural plankton bloom.

They found that, with higher CO2, pico- and, to a lesser extent, nanoplankton grew, consuming nutrients and leaving fewer for larger plankton.“The different responses we observed made it clear that the communities’ sensitivity to acidification depends strongly on whether or not nutrients are available,” Riebesell says.

“…the tiniest plankton benefit from the surplus CO2, they produce more biomass and more organic carbon, and dimethyl sulphide production and carbon export decrease.”

Researchers at two UK universities reported earlier this month that they had found that rising temperatures in the oceans would affect plankton development, upsetting the natural cycles of carbon dioxide, nitrogen and phosphorous.
[climatenewsnetwork]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Tony Rome 1,109,875
Word (Dec '08) 34 min andet1987 4,711
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 38 min andet1987 619
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 40 min andet1987 1,470
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 55 min LRS 178,032
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 49,818
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr andet1987 1,278
Amy 9-16 3 hr ralph 51
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Toj 98,226
Dear Abby 9-17-14 5 hr ralph 17